Live in Rostock/Warnemüde - happy to help you enjoy.

Travelanni

Hi Anni

I hope that you are enjoying your visit with your family.

We are on the Constellation arriving in Rostock (LP41) on Tuesday, July 9 at 9:30 and leaving at midnight.

1. Hopefully, Celebrity will provide a shuttle into Rostock Hbf, but if not, is it possible to take public transportation in time to catch the 11:07 train from Rostock to Schwerin? If yes, how can it be done?

2. I know it will be a packed day but we are hoping to take a quick trip and see the highlights of Schwerin and Wismar and include a quick stop in Bad Doberan to see (but not ride) the Molli train. Could you suggest a schedule for us so that we are back on the ship by 22:00.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

1. Hopefully, Celebrity will provide a shuttle into Rostock Hbf, but if not, is it possible to take public transportation in time to catch the 11:07 train from Rostock to Schwerin? If yes, how can it be done?

I can answer this one having just come off a Celebrity cruise there.

There isn't a Celebrity shuttle to Rostock - but it is a relatively simple matter to get there. The Warnemunde railway station is right outside your likely dock. As you say you're taking the train to Schwerin, you're likely buying a Lander ticket. This also covers you for the local train to Rostock.

Just buy the ticket at Warnemunde station, then take the local train from Warnemunde and you will be in Rostock in about 20 minutes. The local trains leave every 15 minutes from Warnemunde. To get the 11:07, I'd suggest the latest you want to get is is at half past 10. So allowing time to get your bearings, walk there, buy the ticket and get on the train, aim to be off the ship by 10 a.m.

At Rostock, you're at the same station, so just need to change platforms for the connecting train. Both trains will be on the same level (above ground).

Edited by The_Big_M

I can answer this one having just come off a Celebrity cruise there.

There isn't a Celebrity shuttle to Rostock - but it is a relatively simple matter to get there. The Warnemunde railway station is right outside your likely dock. As you say you're taking the train to Schwerin, you're likely buying a Lander ticket. This also covers you for the local train to Rostock.

Just buy the ticket at Warnemunde station, then take the local train from Warnemunde and you will be in Rostock in about 20 minutes. The local trains leave every 15 minutes from Warnemunde. To get the 11:07, I'd suggest the latest you want to get is is at half past 10. So allowing time to get your bearings, walk there, buy the ticket and get on the train, aim to be off the ship by 10 a.m.

At Rostock, you're at the same station, so just need to change platforms for the connecting train. Both trains will be on the same level (above ground).

Thanks for the help. I wish we were docking in Warnemunde but we are docking in Rostock where it is not nearly as convenient to get to the train station. Anni had mentioned something about Bus 45 and then a train from Lutten ... to Rostock Hbf. It seemed that the bus does not run that often and I was wondering if it was possible to get to Rostock Hbf by 11:07 using the bus and train.

Thanks for the help. I wish we were docking in Warnemunde but we are docking in Rostock where it is not nearly as convenient to get to the train station. Anni had mentioned something about Bus 45 and then a train from Lutten ... to Rostock Hbf. It seemed that the bus does not run that often and I was wondering if it was possible to get to Rostock Hbf by 11:07 using the bus and train.

Hi given your time of arrival it would not be possible to catch the 11.07 using the bus and train although it could be done easily by taxi.

It would be possible to do both Schwerin and Wismar but once again, to maximise the time available you would need to take a taxi back from Rostock to the ship. If using the train and bus you would need to leave either Schwerin at 5.53pm or Wismar at 5.42pm. Taking a taxi from Rostock would give you an extra 2 hours.

If you decide to do both towns a possible schedule using a taxi to and from Rostock would be

11:07 to Schwerin arr. 12:03

Trains from Schwerin to Wismar run roughly every hour, check exact times in Schwerin.

7:42pm from Wismar to Rostock.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Anni,

We are arriving on a cruise in Rostock at 8 am. We would like to visit the 3 places above. Can you help with train directions, schedules, and ticket prices? I am getting so confused with some of the information I have read.

Thank you very much!

Lorraine

Hi Anni,

We are arriving on a cruise in Rostock at 8 am. We would like to visit the 3 places above. Can you help with train directions, schedules, and ticket prices? I am getting so confused with some of the information I have read.

Thank you very much!

Lorraine

I believe Anni is gone on sabbatical for several weeks (or months). The best place for information is on her website which is in her signature on her posts. That will be your best bet.

Here is the Bundesbahn (train line) website URL for english, you can put in your departure times and see what comes up.

http://www.bahn.de/i/view/USA/en/index.shtml

Have a wonderful trip!!

Edited by Sauer-kraut

I know children ride free with parents but if they are over five years old do they count as one of the five members of the lander ticket.

For example. If there were 5 adults and two children aged 12, which one of these scenarios would apply.

1. We could buy 1 lander ticket for the 5 adults and the 2 children would ride free.

2. We would need to buy 1 lander ticket for 3 adults and the two children and a second lander ticket for the other 2 adults.

Thanks

I know children ride free with parents but if they are over five years old do they count as one of the five members of the lander ticket.

For example. If there were 5 adults and two children aged 12, which one of these scenarios would apply.

1. We could buy 1 lander ticket for the 5 adults and the 2 children would ride free.

2. We would need to buy 1 lander ticket for 3 adults and the two children and a second lander ticket for the other 2 adults.

Thanks

Hi, neither of the above scenarios applies.

Children only ride free on a Lander ticket which is purchased for either the parent/s or grandparent/s with whom they are travelling.

In this case you would need to purchase one Lander ticket for the one or two people related as above to the children and one lander ticket for the rest of the adults in the party.

Be aware that you may be asked to prove the relationship when the tickets are checked during your journey. Passports will cover this.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

• 2 weeks later...
How do I get there if I am not on a tour? I kinda want to stay and see your town ---maybe next time...

Are you asking about how to get to Berlin or how to get around Warnemunda?

If not on a tour, you can rent a car, book a private excursion or take the train.

Warnemunde is just a short walk from the dock. :D

Are you asking about how to get to Berlin or how to get around Warnemunda?

If not on a tour, you can rent a car, book a private excursion or take the train.

Warnemunde is just a short walk from the dock. :D

Can you tell me about the train? Is it expensive?

Hi Anni,

I came back from my cruise to the Baltics. It was a great trip! I used the information you provided on your website and they were very helpful. Thank you very much!

Just one thing I wanted to clarify:

When taking the train from Warnemunde to Rostock and change from train to tram at Marienehe, should turn right (not left) down the slope to the tram platform.

We have enjoyed both Rostock and Warnemunde completely!

Cheers,

Clara

You have been most helpful but I am somewhat confused with the Lander ticket. My husband ad I will be traveling to Schwerin castle from Warnermunde. Do I purchase the Lander ticket at a machine in Warnermunde, on line or in Rostock? Which one do I purchase (the MV?)? Does it cover the trip from Warnermunde to Rostock? Thanks.

You need to purchase the ticket in Warnemunde. It can be from a machine (although you practically need cash for that, foreign credit cards are rejected). Or from the ticket office at the station.

It covers you for the trans from Warnemunde to Schwerin.

You have been most helpful but I am somewhat confused with the Lander ticket. My husband ad I will be traveling to Schwerin castle from Warnermunde. Do I purchase the Lander ticket at a machine in Warnermunde, on line or in Rostock? Which one do I purchase (the MV?)? Does it cover the trip from Warnermunde to Rostock? Thanks.

Hi,

The MV Lander ticket can be purchased at a machine or office on any station or on-line. Directions on my web page.

The ticket will cover you between Warnemünde and Rostock if you start your journey after 9am on weekdays or any time on Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays. On weekdays, if you leave Warnemünde before 9am (eg in order to catch the 9:07 from Rostock to Schwerin) you will require a single ticket for each person between Warnemünde and Rostock.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi Anni,

I came back from my cruise to the Baltics. It was a great trip! I used the information you provided on your website and they were very helpful. Thank you very much!

Just one thing I wanted to clarify:

When taking the train from Warnemunde to Rostock and change from train to tram at Marienehe, should turn right (not left) down the slope to the tram platform.

We have enjoyed both Rostock and Warnemunde completely!

Cheers,

Clara

Hi, thank you for your appreciation. :)

Re the change from train to tram at Marienehe. I will clarify the instructions. I thought the right turn at the top of the steps onto the overhead bridge was self-evident as the tram lines are on the right but the bottom of the bridge is a t-junction with a slope going either right to the bike path or left to the tram-way crossing and is where a stranger could go wrong. Not a big deal but those few extra metres of back-tracking could miss you a tram.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi,

The MV Lander ticket can be purchased at a machine or office on any station or on-line. Directions on my web page.

The ticket will cover you between Warnemünde and Rostock if you start your journey after 9am on weekdays or any time on Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays. On weekdays, if you leave Warnemünde before 9am (eg in order to catch the 9:07 from Rostock to Schwerin) you will require a single ticket for each person between Warnemünde and Rostock.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Thank you so much for the clarification.

• 1 month later...

Hi Anni,

I hope that I have purchased the correct ticket. I had all of your detailed instructions for purchasing the Lander ticket on line. The process seemed easier. Has the website changed? I just had to enter the region (Mecklenburg), date and number of people. I paid 26 Euro for two people. We plan on going to Schwerin on Wednesday. Will the ticket I bought work? Have used so much of your info to plan our day in Warnemunde for which I thank you.

Hi Anni,

I hope that I have purchased the correct ticket. I had all of your detailed instructions for purchasing the Lander ticket on line. The process seemed easier. Has the website changed? I just had to enter the region (Mecklenburg), date and number of people. I paid 26 Euro for two people. We plan on going to Schwerin on Wednesday. Will the ticket I bought work? Have used so much of your info to plan our day in Warnemunde for which I thank you.

Hi Gail, you are quite right, the web page has changed - and for the better too! Thanks for alerting me. One of the first instances I have come across where a page is less complicated than before. Good old DB, done something right.

You do have the correct ticket, I can assure you that it will work to go to Schwerin but please remember that if you leave Warnemünde before 9am (to catch the 9:07 from Rostock to Schwerin for instance) you will also need single tickets to Rostock.

I wish you a very pleasant day in Germany

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Friends: Thank you all for such wonderful information about your great country and cities. It has been very, very helpful. One question: Please tell us all the differences (besides price) between 1st and 2nd class on the trains from Warnemunde to Schwerin? Is it worth the value? Thanks again. - Paul :)

Friends: Thank you all for such wonderful information about your great country and cities. It has been very, very helpful. One question: Please tell us all the differences (besides price) between 1st and 2nd class on the trains from Warnemunde to Schwerin? Is it worth the value? Thanks again. - Paul :)

Hi Paul, thanks for the appreciation.

The short answer to your question is NO.

On the Regional Express trains there is only half the upper section of one car for 1st. class and the only difference that I can see is slightly nicer fabric on the seats and head-rest covers! The layout of the cars is exactly the same and all are air conditioned; the actual seats are the same, very comfortable, just the fabric is different. There is no difference in service, you still have to buy snacks and drinks from a machine in the service area. 1st class is usually empty, locals certainly do not think it is worth the price.

On German ICE and IC long distance trains there is very little difference either except that in 1st class seats are 1 & 2 across rather than 2 & 2. Most 1st class passengers seem to be either tourists on Eurail passes (you can't buy 2nd class if you are over 25!) or business men on expense accounts :rolleyes:

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

NB. I have changed the 'How to buy tickets on-line' page and updated the info on trains to Berlin.

Anni, Thank you and we love your website. -Paul

Hi Paul, thanks for the appreciation.

The short answer to your question is NO.

On the Regional Express trains there is only half the upper section of one car for 1st. class and the only difference that I can see is slightly nicer fabric on the seats and head-rest covers! The layout of the cars is exactly the same and all are air conditioned; the actual seats are the same, very comfortable, just the fabric is different. There is no difference in service, you still have to buy snacks and drinks from a machine in the service area. 1st class is usually empty, locals certainly do not think it is worth the price.

On German ICE and IC long distance trains there is very little difference either except that in 1st class seats are 1 & 2 across rather than 2 & 2. Most 1st class passengers seem to be either tourists on Eurail passes (you can't buy 2nd class if you are over 25!) or business men on expense accounts :rolleyes:

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

NB. I have changed the 'How to buy tickets on-line' page and updated the info on trains to Berlin.

• 4 months later...

Hi Anni,

You are an amazing resource!

I have discovered toursbylocals.com and see where a Karin S offers private tours in the area. Have you heard of her and if so, would you recommend her?

Any other guide recommendations would be great. We are a group of 6 who will be visiting on Aug 29 via the Marina and have from 8am-10pm to explore the region, which isn't nearly enough.....

Thanks!