Live in Rostock/Warnemüde - happy to help you enjoy.

Travelanni

Hi Anni,

Thanks for all your information about Rostock and Warnemunde. It's been incredibly helpful in planning my trip.

My family and I will be porting in P7 at Warnemunde on Sunday May 26th. We will be traveling with our 8 months old son, so we decided to stay in Warnemunde/Rostock for a more leisurely trip compare to the long bus ride to Berlin. From my understanding, shops, museum, etc will be closed on Sundays. Can you suggest any place where I can buy souvenirs in either Warnemunde or Rostock? What about recommendations of things to do on a sunday?

Also, if i buy a local region day ticket for Rostock, do I need to validate the ticket as well?

Thank you very much for your help!

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy, thank you for your appreciation.

You are correct in that the shops in Rostock will be closed on a Sunday but in Warnemünde the majority of the shops, especially those catering to tourists, will be open.

All attractions, museums, churches, historical sites, the Zoo etc. are open in both places as well as restaurants and cafes.

The best place to buy souvenirs is Warnemünde, either along the waterfront on the right after crossing the bridge or at Pier 7, the restaurant and shop next to the cruise terminal building.

A local day ticket bought from a machine on the platform or ticket office needs to be validated at the beginning of your first journey. It is only tickets bought on the bus or tram which are already dated and timed.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by rostocker

Hi Jeremy, thank you for your appreciation.

You are correct in that the shops in Rostock will be closed on a Sunday but in Warnemünde the majority of the shops, especially those catering to tourists, will be open.

All attractions, museums, churches, historical sites, the Zoo etc. are open in both places as well as restaurants and cafes.

The best place to buy souvenirs is Warnemünde, either along the waterfront on the right after crossing the bridge or at Pier 7, the restaurant and shop next to the cruise terminal building.

A local day ticket bought from a machine on the platform or ticket office needs to be validated at the beginning of your first journey. It is only tickets bought on the bus or tram which are already dated and timed.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Thanks for the information!

After reading your website, we are thinking of adding a visit tp Hohe Dune that you speak of on your webiste to get pictures of the cruise ships. Is it better to do this firs thing in the morning, or later in the evening? How often does the ferry run? Is there somewhere I can get the timetable?

thanks!

Thanks for the information!

After reading your website, we are thinking of adding a visit tp Hohe Dune that you speak of on your webiste to get pictures of the cruise ships. Is it better to do this firs thing in the morning, or later in the evening? How often does the ferry run? Is there somewhere I can get the timetable?

thanks!

Not being a photographer, merely a point-and-snapper, I don't know much about the light required for good photos but can tell you that the sun goes down behind the terminal buildings, if that is any help!

The ferries run all day from early morning til late at night on a demand basis. There is no set timetable, two of them just shuttle back and forth every few minutes as required. Later in the evening the service is reduced to one which runs about every 10-15 minutes. Please remember that your local day ticket is valid on the ferry too.

Anni.

Not being a photographer, merely a point-and-snapper, I don't know much about the light required for good photos but can tell you that the sun goes down behind the terminal buildings, if that is any help!

The ferries run all day from early morning til late at night on a demand basis. There is no set timetable, two of them just shuttle back and forth every few minutes as required. Later in the evening the service is reduced to one which runs about every 10-15 minutes. Please remember that your local day ticket is valid on the ferry too.

Anni.

Is it easy to find the ferry terminal? Will I be able to push a light stroller down the path to the ferry terminal?

thanks

Is it easy to find the ferry terminal? Will I be able to push a light stroller down the path to the ferry terminal?

thanks

The ferry terminal is right alongside Pier 7, about 100m from the cruise terminal gate. When in the dock the ferry is right under the bow of your ship. The footpaths and access to the ferry on both sides of the river are smooth and level.

Anni

Hello

We (a group of six) are in the final stages of our planning and if possible can you provide current information that would assist us in our adventure.

We will be staying in the Warnemunde/Rostock area for the day (Emerald Princess - June 6th) – can you provide directions to the three bicycle rental shops in the port area.

Once we are done riding the area we would like to take the train into Rostock and look around the old city. Which train is best for this and what stop do you suggest getting off the train in Rostock. Also is this the same stop you would suggest to take back to Warnemunde later that day.

Thank you very much – the information we have seen on this thread over the last year was instrumental in our decision to go to Berlin prior to the cruise and to enjoy the Warnemunde/Rostock areas while we are in port.

Ray

Hello

We (a group of six) are in the final stages of our planning and if possible can you provide current information that would assist us in our adventure.

We will be staying in the Warnemunde/Rostock area for the day (Emerald Princess - June 6th) – can you provide directions to the three bicycle rental shops in the port area.

Once we are done riding the area we would like to take the train into Rostock and look around the old city. Which train is best for this and what stop do you suggest getting off the train in Rostock. Also is this the same stop you would suggest to take back to Warnemunde later that day.

Thank you very much – the information we have seen on this thread over the last year was instrumental in our decision to go to Berlin prior to the cruise and to enjoy the Warnemunde/Rostock areas while we are in port.

Ray

Hi Ray, thank you for your appreciation. Pleased to have been able to help with your planning, I am sure you will not regret your decision to visit Berlin pre-cruise. There is so much to see.

Unfortunately the two bicycle hire shops close to the cruise terminal closed last year but there are at least two in town.

The nearest is at Freidrich-Franz-Strasse, No 54. Turn right out of the cruise terminal and proceed through the subway to the railway station. From the railway station cross over the bridge and follow the street straight ahead, after it bears to the right you will see the church square in front of you. Freidrich-Franz-Strasse is to the right before you cross the square.

The other cycle hire shop which I know of is at Mühlenstrasse 12, directly across the church square.

It may be a good idea to call at the Tourist Information office which is on the left in the street directly across the bridge as there may be other cycle hire shops which they can recommend.

There is only one train between Warnemünde and Rostock, the s-bahn which departs every 15 minutes throughout the day. There are no stops in the city itself so it is easiest to get off in Rostock Hbf (main station) then take the tram (platforms are under the train station) into the city. Please note that your ticket for the train (1.80 pp) also covers the tram ride into the city. You can pick up a tram, No.5 or No.6, anywhere in the city to ride back to the main station. Please see my web site for more details and alternatives.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by rostocker

Hello

Just a quick question about the swimmable/relaxing beach/beaches. Are they a walkable distance from the cruise terminals? I am there mid august.

My hubby and fancy a beach day since the other ports are city based and we live close by so we can always see the history another day.

Hello

Just a quick question about the swimmable/relaxing beach/beaches. Are they a walkable distance from the cruise terminals? I am there mid august.

My hubby and fancy a beach day since the other ports are city based and we live close by so we can always see the history another day.

Hi,

The main beach in Warnemünde is about 10 mins stroll from the cruise terminal, through the prettiest part of the town. Through the railway station, across the bridge, right along the waterfront and you are at the promenade. The beach is very wide with good sand and the water is calm and shallow, you have to go a fair way out to swim. The best way to relax is to hire a 'Sand Korb', the beach basket chairs which protect from both wind and sun and have a safe locker for your things if you swim. There are cafes and resturants on the promenade plus a childrens playground and a cafe right on the sand. It is also a popular place for kite-flying with demonstrations most days. Once clear of the town (about 1klm) the beach becomes FKK, ie nudity is allowed. I found some good photos by googling 'Warnemünde beach pictures'

There is another beach behind the Höhe Dune Resort on the other side of the river. Take the ferry (1.40 pp) and walk straight ahead up the road. This is a quieter beach with no facilities and after the first 100m it becomes FKK.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by rostocker

Hi Anni,

Thank you for taking the time to answer all our questions. We are on the Carnival Legend arriving in Rostock on July 30th. Apparently, Warnemunde could not accommodate all the cruise ships, so the Legend was changed. I had planned to take the train to the Schwerin castle. How far is the train station from the Rostock pier?

Sharon

Hi Anni,

Thank you for taking the time to answer all our questions. We are on the Carnival Legend arriving in Rostock on July 30th. Apparently, Warnemunde could not accommodate all the cruise ships, so the Legend was changed. I had planned to take the train to the Schwerin castle. How far is the train station from the Rostock pier?

Sharon

Hi Sharon,

Thank you for your appreciation. However, I am a little perplexed as to why you are now docking at LP41 in the Seehafen (Rostock commercial port) as opposed to the Cruise Terminal as there are only 2 ships in on that day and all the info (4 different sites) gives your berth as P7, Warnemünde. According to the schedule Legend will dock in the Seehafen on July 18th due to congestion. It might be as well to check.

The trains from the Seehafen to Rostock City have recently been discontinued but Carnival will most probably run a shuttle bus as there will be a lot of people from the ship wanting to go into Rostock Hbf or Rostock City itself. It will be pretty poor service if they do not.

There is a bus, No 45, which runs to the nearest railway station in Lutten Klein from the stop Seehafen Fahre (just across road from the pier gate) at 7:11, 7:41, 8:24 and every hour thereafter at 24 mins past. The ride to the railway station takes 20 mins and there are trains to Rostock Hbf every 15 mins .

The quickest way into town is by taxi. the fare is about 20-25 euros each way.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

I'm sorry I was confused by this website http://www.rostock-port.de/en/cruise-shipping/port-calls/2013-port-calls.html. I didn't realize that P7 referred to Warnemunde. Thank you for the clarification and for all your invaluable information!! :)

Hi,

The confusion really lies with the cruise companies who will insist on calling this port-of-call 'Berlin (Warnemünde)' rather than by its correct name of Rostock.

I will try to explain.

Berlin is 200 klms from the sea. The nearest port is the Port of Rostock.

Warnemünde is a suburb of the City of Rostock and the site of the Cruise Ship Terminal which is a part of the Port of Rostock. There you find the dedicated Cruise Ship berths P7 and P8 plus berth P2 which can take a small Cruise Ship if necessary.

The Seehafen, also a part of the Port of Rostock, is the Roll-on-roll-off ferry and cargo terminal on the other side of the river. There you find berths LP41 and LP42

When there are too many cruise ships on one day to be accommodated at the Cruise Terminal in Warnemünde one or two have to berth in the Seehafen. As more and more ships visit the port this will happen more often.

When looking at the Cruise Ship Schedule for the Port of Rostock

http://www.rostock-port.de/en/cruise-shipping/port-calls/2013-port-calls.html.

If your ship is scheduled for P7, P8 or P2 you will dock at the Cruise Terminal in Warnemünde.

If your ship is scheduled for LP41 or LP42 you will dock at the Seehafen on the other side of the river.

The Port of Rostock web site is regularly updated but I have never known the berthing schedule to change after publication in February each year. Therefore it follows that the cruise companies know where their ships will dock probably a year in advance and any late changes are very, very unlikely.

Once or twice last year, on cruises which had been sold as docking in Warnemünde but scheduled by the Port Authority to dock in the Seehafen, passengers were told only the night before that they would be docking in the Seehafen. Very unfair on the part of the cruise company as, although this does not matter to passengers on tours (the Tour Companies organise according to the Port Authority schedule), it can play havoc with DIY plans. So checking the Port website before making DIY plans may be a good idea.

I hope this clears up the confusion. :D

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by rostocker
Spelling mistakes

Hello,

Somewhere I read on one of your posts, the e-mail address for the Hertz office at the cruise terminal. I can't seem to find it now. We made reservations through the US 1-800 number but they don't seem to know that there is a temp office at the pier. I want to e-mail them directly to verify our reservation is correct. We are planning a mad dash to Berlin to visit the Botanical Garden. Do you think we are crazy to attempt it?

Thanks for all the help you provide everyone with.

Tone

Hello,

Somewhere I read on one of your posts, the e-mail address for the Hertz office at the cruise terminal. I can't seem to find it now. We made reservations through the US 1-800 number but they don't seem to know that there is a temp office at the pier. I want to e-mail them directly to verify our reservation is correct. We are planning a mad dash to Berlin to visit the Botanical Garden. Do you think we are crazy to attempt it?

Thanks for all the help you provide everyone with.

Tone

Hi Tone, Thank you for your appreciation.

No, driving your own car you are not crazy if that is what you want to do. Just allow for delays on the way back.

Here is the e-mail address you wanted.

http://www.hertz.com/rentacar/location/index.jsp?targetPage=locationDetailsView.jsp&eoag=RLGN70

for the English version

Top right corner, press 'Andern'

Leave 'Land' as is, change 'Sprache' to English.

Press 'Fortfaren'

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hallo Anni,

I am currently living in Badan Wurttemburg Germany having moved over here for a year with my girlfriend with my job. We're planning on going on a Baltic cruise during the August time frame, and will be in Warnemunde on Thursday August 15th. We will actually be spending a few days in Berlin after our cruise finishes so I would like to spend that day (7:30am-10pm) Doing things in and around your area. I don't know very much about the area, however I have read what you've posted here. My girlfriend and I are relatively young, and we're looking to do something more active for part of the day, as well as some sightseeing. I was wondering if there was anything perhaps a bit out of the ordinary that you might recommend for two 20-somethings in your area?

Thanks for your time!

Hi Anni

I've been following this thread and the comments. You provided the link http://www.schwerin.com for information regarding the castle. You mentioned earlier that the castle is closed on Mondays? However, the website states it is the palace is open from April- October on Monday.

15 Oct - 14 Apr

Tuesdays to Sundays: 10.00 am - 17.00 pm

15 Apr - 14 Oct

Mondays to Sundays: 10.00 am - 18.00 pm

Could you please verify? We will be there on Monday, July 1st and I want to plan accordingly.

Thank you!

Leslie

Hi Anni,

We have just arrived home after our Baltic cruise...we had a great day in Rostock and Warnemunde on May 8.

Thanks for your great web site and all the work you do....we followed your directions by train into Rostock and caught the boat back to Warnemunde.

What a nice city Rostock is....we tried to take the walking tour,but it was closed on the Wednesday.

We had a great time walking the main shopping area and seeing the sights....the Rostock city by train and return by tourist boat is a great way too see your town.

Some photos of our day.

Rostock

RostockandWarnemunde037_zps2647faf8.jpg

RostockandWarnemunde062_zpsb1088ab8.jpg

RostockandWarnemunde072_zps2240cc36.jpg

Warnemunde and Tourist boat

RostockandWarnemunde135_zpsd20fa9d8.jpg

RostockandWarnemunde186_zps90049e52.jpg

Greetings,

I had rented a car at the Warnemunde Cruise port for arrival on the Emerald Princess on July 20, 2013. I have recently learned that we are now docking at the Commercial Port of Rostock LP41 so I am thinking that is not near my original pick up area. Where do you suggest I rent a vehicle from that berth/port. And what would be your top suggestions for what to see in the area if we have a full day.

Thanks for your help!!!

Hallo Anni,

I am currently living in Badan Wurttemburg Germany having moved over here for a year with my girlfriend with my job. We're planning on going on a Baltic cruise during the August time frame, and will be in Warnemunde on Thursday August 15th. We will actually be spending a few days in Berlin after our cruise finishes so I would like to spend that day (7:30am-10pm) Doing things in and around your area. I don't know very much about the area, however I have read what you've posted here. My girlfriend and I are relatively young, and we're looking to do something more active for part of the day, as well as some sightseeing. I was wondering if there was anything perhaps a bit out of the ordinary that you might recommend for two 20-somethings in your area?

Thanks for your time!

Hi, thank you for your appreciation.

As I said in a previous post, Rostock/Warnemünde is a fairly staid place but there are a couple thing which may interest you.

Across the river from Warnemünde there is a sort of forest climbing adventure park. Sorry I don't know how to better describe it but here is the web site.

http://www.kletterwald.de/sport-und-freizeitanlagen/kletterwald-hohe-duene.html

You take the cross-river ferry from beside the Cruise Ship Terminal to Hohe Dune and then the bus (there is only one) to Markgrafenheide. About a 10 min ride and the park is right alongside the bus stop.

There are some great bike trails along the coast and bikes are easy to hire in Warnemünde.

There are various boat hire places in Warnemünde, anything from canoes to small motor and sailing boats.

Hope this helps.

Anni

Hi Anni

I've been following this thread and the comments. You provided the link www.schwerin.com for information regarding the castle. You mentioned earlier that the castle is closed on Mondays? However, the website states it is the palace is open from April- October on Monday.

15 Oct - 14 Apr

Tuesdays to Sundays: 10.00 am - 17.00 pm

15 Apr - 14 Oct

Mondays to Sundays: 10.00 am - 18.00 pm

Could you please verify? We will be there on Monday, July 1st and I want to plan accordingly.

Thank you!

Leslie

Hi, I am sorry to have caused confusion, thank you for pointing this out.

I took my information as regards the opening hours from the official website of the Staatlichen Museums Schwerin (State Museums in Schwerin) which stated Tuesday to Sunday all year round but, as you say, the Tourism site (www.schwerin.com) says different.

I will check by telephone with the Schloss itself tomorrow, 'straight from the horses mouth' as it were and post the result.

Anni

Edited by rostocker

Hi Anni,

We have just arrived home after our Baltic cruise...we had a great day in Rostock and Warnemunde on May 8.

Thanks for your great web site and all the work you do....we followed your directions by train into Rostock and caught the boat back to Warnemunde.

What a nice city Rostock is....we tried to take the walking tour,but it was closed on the Wednesday.

We had a great time walking the main shopping area and seeing the sights....the Rostock city by train and return by tourist boat is a great way too see your town.

Hi fellow Aussies, thanks for your appreciation, the nice report and the great pics. I hope they encourage more people to spend the day relaxing in Rostock and Warnemünde.

Sorry about the walking tour but the girls who do the tours now were away on a course during May. I filled in on one or two days but it was really too much for me. I realised why I had retired !

So pleased that you enjoyed your visit to my corner of the world. I am looking forward to my visit with my family in Queensland in July.

Anni

Greetings,

I had rented a car at the Warnemunde Cruise port for arrival on the Emerald Princess on July 20, 2013. I have recently learned that we are now docking at the Commercial Port of Rostock LP41 so I am thinking that is not near my original pick up area. Where do you suggest I rent a vehicle from that berth/port. And what would be your top suggestions for what to see in the area if we have a full day.

Thanks for your help!!!

Hi,

Contact the company from whom you have rented the car. They will be Rostock based so I am sure that they will be happy to change the pick-up from the Cruise Terminal to LP41 as both are within the City of Rostock.

I would suggest driving north-east to the Island of Ruegen taking in the UNESCO World Heritage city of Stralsund on the way.

Anni

Edited by rostocker