Live in Rostock/Warnemüde - happy to help you enjoy.

Travelanni

Hi, thanks for all your explanations.

We are a group of 8 spanish people arriving 18 june on board Eurodam. Could you please recomend me a van company ?We need a van with driver for 8 people. We were thinking in doing a tour from 9.30 in the morning from the pier and visit Rostock and a little of Warnemunde. How much time do you recommend us for this tour.? Thanks in advance and sorry about my english. Best wishes. Patricio

We are a group of 8 spanish people arriving 18 june on board Eurodam. Could you please recomend me a van company ?We need a van with driver for 8 people. We were thinking in doing a tour from 9.30 in the morning from the pier and visit Rostock and a little of Warnemunde. How much time do you recommend us for this tour.? Thanks in advance and sorry about my english. Best wishes. Patricio

Hello, I am sorry, but as a local giving advice on CC I am not allowed to recommend individual companies or guides.

Hopefully a previous visitor who has done a similar tour will see this and be able to help.

My best wishes for a pleasant visit to Germany. :)

Anni

Edited by rostocker

Hi Anni,

I see that you are giving out great advice...I have a quick one - is Schwerin worth a visit? Should we spend more time and relax in Rostock and Warnemunde instead?

Thanks,

Clara

Hi Clara, .

Schwerin is a lovely town situated on several lakes with a Schloss which has some beautifully restored rooms open to the public, nice architecture and a good modern shopping centre. However, to get there means an extra 2 hours travel, 1 hr each way. A good web site to give you an idea of the town is

www.schwerin.com/english

or there is a page on my web site.

Rostock is more Medieval with ancients walls and gates, the centre of the town is a pedestrian precinct with good shops, cafes and restaurants.

Warnemünde is a typical, N. German seaside town with a great beach, bustling harbour and plenty of good places to sit and relax over a meal or a drink.

They all have a different appeal so it is a matter of personal choice really

Happy cruising :)

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by rostocker

Hi Anni

I want to join the many others and thank you for the wealth of detailed information you have provided on this thread and your excellent website. I so appreciate the time you spend for us cruisers.

I do have a question I have not seen much info about. We will be docking in Warnamunde on July 9 from 7 AM to 9 PM. We are planning on going to Schwerin to the castle and then visiting Rostock and Warnemunde on the way back to the ship. My question is about the Schwerin Lake boat cruise. Do you think it is anything interesting to take or is it just a ferry service? I saw on the Weiss Flotte website that you mentioned on another thread that it is 1 1/2 hours long. That might add too much time to our Schwerin visit - i'd really like something shorter. Is it worth it? Your thoughts?

Joanne

Hi Clara, .

Schwerin is a lovely town situated on several lakes with a Schloss which has some beautifully restored rooms open to the public, nice architecture and a good modern shopping centre. However, to get there means an extra 2 hours travel, 1 hr each way. A good web site to give you an idea of the town is

www.schwerin.com/english

or there is a page on my web site.

Rostock is more Medieval with ancients walls and gates, the centre of the town is a pedestrian precinct with good shops, cafes and restaurants.

Warnemünde is a typical, N. German seaside town with a great beach, bustling harbour and plenty of good places to sit and relax over a meal or a drink.

They all have a different appeal so it is a matter of personal choice really

Anni

Thank you so much for the information Anni! You're such an asset to us! Really appreciate your time.

Clara

Hi Anni

I want to join the many others and thank you for the wealth of detailed information you have provided on this thread and your excellent website. I so appreciate the time you spend for us cruisers.

I do have a question I have not seen much info about. We will be docking in Warnamunde on July 9 from 7 AM to 9 PM. We are planning on going to Schwerin to the castle and then visiting Rostock and Warnemunde on the way back to the ship. My question is about the Schwerin Lake boat cruise. Do you think it is anything interesting to take or is it just a ferry service? I saw on the Weiss Flotte website that you mentioned on another thread that it is 1 1/2 hours long. That might add too much time to our Schwerin visit - i'd really like something shorter. Is it worth it? Your thoughts?

Joanne

Hi Joanne, many thanks for your appreciation. I love what I do. It makes up in a small way for what I miss now that I have retired - meeting and talking to cruise ship passengers when they visit Rostock. I may even have to start haunting Schwerin Hbf on cruise ship days!

As you have spotted the Weisseflotte in Schwerin is a ferry service although, during the summer, mostly used by holidaymakers to cruise the lakes as the boats are very comfortable, rather like floating cafes, and there is a commentary - in German. The biggest attraction is the different perspective you get of the Schloss and the city but if you are intending to visit Rostock and Warnemünde as well I would consider the 1.5 hours (there is nothing shorter) adds too much time to Schwerin.

Anni

Hi Anni

Thank you for your response to my question about the Schwerin Lake boat cruise.

I am planning two different options for our day in Warnemunde and will decide closer to our cruise what we will do. But I want to figure out all the details about tickets and schedules now.

One option is to go to Schwerin then Rostock then Warnemunde. I think I understand the tickets needed and how to purchase them from the excellent advice here and on your website.

My other option is to go to Bad Doberan and take the Molli train to Kuhlungsborn. I know I can purchase the ticket for the Molli from the conductor. My question are about getting to and from Bad Doberan.

Will the Lander ticket work if I have that?

Your website mentions a 4 zone day ticket. How do I purchase that? Can it be done ahead of time online (if so, how) or does it have to be from a ticket machine or agent the day we are there? Is that ticket also good for the bus?

Where can I find the schedule for bus 119?

Sorry for so many questions. There is so much to see, I wish we were there for 2 days!

As always, thank you for your time and sharing your knowledge.

Joanne

Hi Anni

Thank you for your response to my question about the Schwerin Lake boat cruise.

I am planning two different options for our day in Warnemunde and will decide closer to our cruise what we will do. But I want to figure out all the details about tickets and schedules now.

One option is to go to Schwerin then Rostock then Warnemunde. I think I understand the tickets needed and how to purchase them from the excellent advice here and on your website.

My other option is to go to Bad Doberan and take the Molli train to Kuhlungsborn. I know I can purchase the ticket for the Molli from the conductor. My question are about getting to and from Bad Doberan.

Your website mentions a 4 zone day ticket. How do I purchase that? Can it be done ahead of time online (if so, how) or does it have to be from a ticket machine or agent the day we are there? Is that ticket also good for the bus?

Sorry for so many questions. There is so much to see, I wish we were there for 2 days!

Joanne

Joanne - Drop me an e mail and I'll send you my 'how to do the Molli and Rostock for €20 sheet' with all your above questions answered...I think!

Simon

Joanne

Hi Joanne, Glad to see you are considering the Molli/Külungsborn option. I have just researched that very trip on which to take my own visitors (family) on 29/5.

Firstly there is no need to buy a Lander Ticket as everywhere you will go is within the local transport area.

A Zone 4 day ticket can be purchased from a machine or the tourist office in Warnemünde. It is good for all forms of public transport within the area. ie s-bahn, bus, tram and cross-river ferry. Purchase from the machine is very easy as they have an English language option and there is usually a lady at the machines in Warnemünde to help. The cost of the ticket is 8 euros pp.

The Molli Bahn tickets are bought at the ticket office on the station. The cost is 12 euros pp.

The 2013 schedule for bus 119 is as follows:-

Dep Warnemünde Werft 8:40, 9:40, 10:40

Dep Bad Doberan Bahnhof 15:50, 16:45, 17:33.

Just to give you an idea of what can be done this is what I have planned for our day.

Dep Warnemünde by S-bahn 8:02 to Rostock Marienehe

Change to No 1 or 5 tram to Doberaner Platz

Walk through the city from the Kropeliner Gate to the New Market

Tram 5 or 6 to Rostock Hbf

Dep Rostock Hbf 11:06 to Bad Doberan

Take the 11:36 Molli to Külungsborn-Ost arriving 12:13

Walk to the beach, lunch.

Take 15:44 or 16:44 Molli to Bad Doberan

Take the 16:45 or 17:33 Bus no 119 to Warnemünde Werft.

Evening in Warnemünde relaxing with a Vino - or three.

A 4 zone group ticket for 4 of us will cost 25.50 euros and the Molli fare is 12 euros pp.

This schedule will give us approx 3 hrs in Rostock, 3-4 hrs in Külungsborn and 2-3 hrs in Warnemünde. Alternatively, you could spend a little time in Bad Doberan, catch the train to Warnemünde and head straight back to the ship but, for me, time to relax in Warnemünde on a summers evening with a glass of wine is not to be missed. Depending on the weather (and the company) it can be magic.

Happy cruising :),

Anni

http://www.travelann.webs.com

Edited by rostocker

Hi Anni!

I am on my first ever cruise and I travel with my husband and a daughter of 3. We will be docking in Warnemunde on June 4 from 7.30 AM to 10PM. Obviously we wouldn’t go to Berlin despite I always dreamt to see it. The drive will be too long for the kid. What can you suggest for us? What will be better -to stay in Warnemunde or to go to Rostock? Shall we see both places? Could you name any particular things/sights which could be good for a child of 3? Thank you very much for your help.

Jess.

Hi Anni!

I am on my first ever cruise and I travel with my husband and a daughter of 3. We will be docking in Warnemunde on June 4 from 7.30 AM to 10PM. Obviously we wouldn’t go to Berlin despite I always dreamt to see it. The drive will be too long for the kid. What can you suggest for us? What will be better -to stay in Warnemunde or to go to Rostock? Shall we see both places? Could you name any particular things/sights which could be good for a child of 3? Thank you very much for your help.

Jess.

Hi, given your time frame it is very easy to spend time in both Rostock and Warnemünde.

If the weather is good the obvious attraction for your little one in Warnemünde is the beautiful, wide, sandy beach and the shallow water with hardly any waves. Right on the beach there are swings, climbing frames etc. and often kite demonstrations. There is also a little train (tractor actually) which does a tour of the town, the kids seem to love it.

Rostock has less to offer small children but there is a nice zoo (#6 tram from the main station, get off at the stop called Zoo) and also at least two fountains which were designed for children to play in, one right in the city centre and one near the Kropeliner Gate.

If you feel comfortable driving here there is Karl's Strawberry Farm about half an hour from Warnemünde. More a theme park really with plenty for children to do.

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

http://travelanni.webs.com

Hi Anni, Thanks for all your wonderful information. It has been a great help to my travel planning.

We will be docking in Kiel and I'm thinking about taking the bus to see the locks at Holtenau on the Kiel canal. Would we will able to walk around and see the locks or is this a restricted area? Do you know if there are tours of the locks? Also, is there anything else worthwhile to see in that area?

I would love to transit the canal but with only 10 hours in port I don't think that would be possible.

Thank you Anni for such a wonderful thread!

DH and I will be in Warnemunde on Sat. July 6 by Carnival Legend 6:30am-11pm.

We are interested in Shwerin, Wismar, and Bad Doberan, but are prepared to drop one of these if the schedule turns out to be too tight.

Then I notice that July 6 is the first day of this years' Warnemunde Week.

As tourists from Canada, does it worth to stay in Warnemunde for a few hour during the day to watch the boat race, or our time will be better spent on the castle, the steam train and a Hanseatic town?

Edited by sz4

Hi Anni, Thanks for all your wonderful information. It has been a great help to my travel planning.

We will be docking in Kiel and I'm thinking about taking the bus to see the locks at Holtenau on the Kiel canal. Would we will able to walk around and see the locks or is this a restricted area? Do you know if there are tours of the locks? Also, is there anything else worthwhile to see in that area?

I would love to transit the canal but with only 10 hours in port I don't think that would be possible.

Hi,

Strangely enough I just visited Kiel yesterday to answer some questions and plan a day for my own family visiting in May.

Kiel does not have much in the way of old buildings as it was virtually destroyed in WWll and was rebuilt rather than restored as were so many other cities. There are several museums, mostly to do with the sea, and very good modern shopping precincts.

The bus to Holtenau stops right outside the Cruise Terminal, #32 I believe but please check that. There are guided tours of the locks at 9am, 11am, 1pm , 3pm., at present only in German but that will probably change with the increase in overseas visitors. There is also a public observation platform and a Museum at the Kanal.

However, for me the biggest attraction is the Marine Memorial at Laboe. This was the info I gave on a previous thread.

A very nice ferry ride from Kiel towards the Baltic is Laboe, a small, charming seaside town with a nice beach. But the main interest here is the

Laboe Naval Memorial . Started in 1927 and completed in 1936 as a monument to the World l war dead of the Kaiserliche Marine.

After Germany's surrender in May 1945, the Marine-Ehrenmal was confiscated by the British occupation forces. However, it was not destroyed as other military memorials, being dedicated as a personal tribute to German naval war losses. As the British Military Administration stated, the memorial did not “glorify war and the spirit of aggression, but belongs to those whose intention is a personal tribute to the seamen who died for their country.”

The Kreigsmarine dead of World War II were added and in 1954 it was returned to the German Naval Association and rededicated to commemorate the sailors of all nationalities who died during the World Wars.

The monument consists of a 72-metre high tower with an observation deck 85 m above sea level. Underneath is the Hall of Remembrance. This is a very special place of pilgrimage to people of many nationalities who lost family at sea during a war.

http://www.deutscher-marinebund.de/geschichte_me.htm NB. there is a _ symbol between the words geschichte and me.htm

Part of the complex is a naval museum and the grounds feature various artifacts including the World War II-era German Submarine U-955, the world's only remaining type VII U boat, which is open to the public. http://www.warmuseums.nl /gal/061gal.htm

Traditionally every ship passing the Memorial (and there are dozens every day going to and from the Canal) dips its flag in salute as this is the only memorial in the world to commemorate ALL sailors of ALL nations.

However it is by no means a grim place. The setting is beautiful and both the exterior and interior architecture is unusual and interesting. The little town is very pleasant with cafes and restaurants as well as the usual shops for souvenirs.

There is a regular ferry service between the Bahnhof (quite close to the Cruise Terminal) and Laboe. The ride takes an hour through the sheltered waters of the fjord. More details at http://www.sfk-kiel.de/en/index.php

I hope this will give you enough to fill your day in Kiel.

Anni

http://travelanni.webs.com

Edited by rostocker

...I would love to transit the canal but with only 10 hours in port I don't think that would be possible.

If you tell us the date you are in Kiel, I could check if there would be a canal tour for some hours.

There is a ferry boat on the canal from Holtenau (northside) to Wik (southside) and viceversa.

Morning:)

Thank you for all this info.....

I am wondering if oh could suggest some ideas for us.

We will be travelling end of may on a cruise and will be in warnemunde between 6am and 10pm ( we are not wanting to go to Berlin) what are some fun and interesting thins to do? we are in our early-mid 30's and this cruise is our honeymoon, we are also not interested on beaches as we have lived beach areas most of life

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated :-)

Thank you Anni for such a wonderful thread!

DH and I will be in Warnemunde on Sat. July 6 by Carnival Legend 6:30am-11pm.

We are interested in Shwerin, Wismar, and Bad Doberan, but are prepared to drop one of these if the schedule turns out to be too tight.

Then I notice that July 6 is the first day of this years' Warnemunde Week.

As tourists from Canada, does it worth to stay in Warnemunde for a few hour during the day to watch the boat race, or our time will be better spent on the castle, the steam train and a Hanseatic town?

Hi, many thanks for your appreciation.

The fact that you arrive on a Saturday and have such a long time in port makes the three places, all on a Lander Ticket, possible if a bit tight.

Taking the 9:07 from Rostock Hbf. arrive in Schwerin 10.03

Trains depart Schwerin to Wismar every hour, at 46 mins past the hour, throughout the day. Travel time 35 mins.

Trains depart Wismar to Bad Doberan every hour, at 42 mins past the hour, throught the day. Travel time 43 mins

Trains depart Bad Doberan at 30 mins past the hour Change in Rostock for Warnemünde. Travel time 46 mins

Given a boarding time of 10pm the last possible train from Bad Doberan would be 8.30 pm. So although it could be done it would not give long in any one place.

Warnemünde Woche is not only a huge sailing regatta with competitors from all over the world, it is a celebration of the town itself and its maritime history. The streets are decorated and some people wear the local costume; there are street stalls, street entertainment and parades together with dragon-boat racing and a hilarious 'Tub' race on the harbour. There are usually a few Tall Ships in too, including the big Polish or Russian Navy sail training ships. So if you like that sort of thing Warnemünde is the place to be, especially at the weekend. The detailed program has not yet been released but if you jog my memory (getting old!) towards the end of May I will give you the details for 6th July.

Anni

Morning:)

Thank you for all this info.....

I am wondering if oh could suggest some ideas for us.

We will be travelling end of may on a cruise and will be in warnemunde between 6am and 10pm ( we are not wanting to go to Berlin) what are some fun and interesting thins to do? we are in our early-mid 30's and this cruise is our honeymoon, we are also not interested on beaches as we have lived beach areas most of life

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated :-)

G'day :D,

You have given me a tough one here! It really depends on your idea of fun. I'm afraid that this part of NE Germany is pretty laid back, no 'Dream World' type theme parks or anything like that. It is very much geared towards history, health spas and a slow pace suited to the older generation like me. The only thing to which I could apply the word 'fun' would be the Molli Steam Train or the Zoo which boasts 7 Gorillas in a fantastic new, state-of-the-art habitat.

If you could let us have more idea of your interests then maybe I or somone younger who has been here could help.

Sorry to be so negative, its a beautiful area, just very quiet.

Anni

Thank you Anni for your detailed reply!

But I found out our Saturday July 6 Carnival Legend will dock at LP41 Rostock seaport, not at Warnemunde. I read your other posts that there is no train from LP41 to the Rostock train station.

Carnival site doesn't list a "shuttle" service to Rostock.

Does it cost 20-25 Euro one way for the two of us between Rostock seaport to Rostock train station? That's 40-50 euro. The RE train for a day for two is only 26 Euro, and Molli is 12 Euro pp. So in comparison, the taxi seems expensive.

Between 6:30 our ship's docking time to 9:07 the Rostock hbf train to Schwerin, is it possible to take the bus (49?) and somehow get to a RE train that goes to Rostock hbf on a Sat. morning?

Thank you Anni for your detailed reply!

But I found out our Saturday July 6 Carnival Legend will dock at LP41 Rostock seaport, not at Warnemunde. I read your other posts that there is no train from LP41 to the Rostock train station.

Carnival site doesn't list a "shuttle" service to Rostock.

Does it cost 20-25 Euro one way for the two of us between Rostock seaport to Rostock train station? That's 40-50 euro. The RE train for a day for two is only 26 Euro, and Molli is 12 Euro pp. So in comparison, the taxi seems expensive.

Between 6:30 our ship's docking time to 9:07 the Rostock hbf train to Schwerin, is it possible to take the bus (49?) and somehow get to a RE train that goes to Rostock hbf on a Sat. morning?

Hi, that complicates matters but it is due to there being 4 ships in on the one day and the big festival in Warnemünde. Although your ship is not advertising a shuttle they most probably will have one. I imagine there will be a lot of people from the ship wanting to go into Rostock Hbf or Rostock itself so it will be very poor service if they don't.

First problem - No 49 bus does not run on the weekend. It is really for Port workers.

However, there is a bus, No 45, which runs to the railway station in Lutten Klein. You would need to walk to the stop Seehafen Fahre (just across road from the pier gate) and catch the 7:49 arriving Lutten Klein 8:10. It just misses a train by 1min. The next train to Rostock Hbf is the 8:39 arriving 8:52.

Taxi fare is about 20-25 euros each way but you could return by train to Lutten Klein and bus to the ship.

This seems to be a great deal of hassle just to go to Schwerin so if you do decide to go into Warnemünde for the festival you can take the No 45 bus to Lutten Klein and the train to Warnemünde. Buses are at 7:49, 8:49, 10:02 and hourly thereafter. Trains at 7:59 and every 15mins thereafter.

Anni