Live in Rostock/Warnemüde - happy to help you enjoy.

Travelanni

Anni,

We will be docking in Warnemunde in June (Celebrity Eclipse) and are thinking of hiring a car. Do you know of any companies that would deliver a car direct to us in the Cruise Terminal / Dock? I've had a look on line and I'm not having much joy. Many thanks. Sue

Anni

you can hire a car from hertz http://www.hertz.co.uk/rentacar/location/index.jsp?targetPage=locationResultsView.jsp&locType=pUp&search=Rostock%2C+Germany+&origin=reservation&formaction=&locationSearchType=homepage&majorAirport=N#

they open the pick ups from the 19th April for cruise season only.

We have used them before and booked a medium family car for 3 and they delivered us a mercedes c class but we only paid for a ford. Come out of the terminal building - turn right and walk to the restaurant that has an outside garden. it's a couple of minutes - once inside the door go to the desk and they will have your paperwork and keys ready. you need ID and the booking papers and your driving licence. You can't make a reservation for this pick up point until they open the season but we will be booking one for our Eclipse trip in july.

the cars are then parked in the car park to the left of the terminal building

p.s turn left out of the car park or you end up on the ferry by mistake

Jan

Edited by Tiggertastic

Hi, As there will be 4 cruise ships in port on May 24th Celebrity Constellation WILL NOT berth at the Warnemuende Cruise Terminal as shown in the picture but in the Port of Rostock, berth LP41.

Are your friends travelling by car or train? Do they intend to meet you in Rostock or are you intending to travel to meet them?

The Port is reached easily by road, the A19 Berlin/Rostock runs directly into the heart of the port and there is plenty of parking around the berth.

Is it possible for them to meet us inside the terminal area? or just outside? Not sure yet how they will transport there but it really helps to know we will be in Rostock instead of the other location.

Trains from Hamburg arrive at the Central Station which is connected to the port by s-bahn from Seehafen Nord.

Hope this helps but if you need more details please ask.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

:):):)

Edited by gagirl7143

Hi Anni: You have been so much help in planning our trip. Where are you working in Rostock. We would love to see you when we return from Schwerin through Rostock

Dave

Hi Dave, sorry for the delay, I have just arrived home (Rostock) from a stay with my family in Brisbane, Australia. Back 'in harness' now and looking forward to the cruise season.

Happy to have been of help and would love to meet you, I work in the Kröpeliner Gate which is the big brick tower at the end of the pedestrian mall. We are open from 10am to 6pm and you will find me there chatting to visitors in English about the history of the city.

Anni

Edited by rostocker
forgot title

Hi Anni,

We are arriving on the Constellation Rostock port LP41.What is the best way to get to the city of Rostock from the port?

Thank You

Hi, The trains from the port station, Rostock Seehafen Nord (10-15 min walk from the ship) depart at 6 minutes past the hour arriving Rostock Hbf at 24 minutes past. Trains from Rostock Hbf depart at 34mins past the hour until 9.34pm. From the Hbf you can either walk or take a No5 or No6 tram into the city centre.

I understand that Celebrity usually put on shuttle buses into the city, this would be worth investigating. Otherwise a taxi is an option.

There are buses but they do not run direct into the city. The trip is much longer and involves a more dificult change to either a tram or bus in the suburbs.

Anni

Hi Dave, sorry for the delay, I have just arrived home (Rostock) from a stay with my family in Brisbane, Australia. Back 'in harness' now and looking forward to the cruise season.

Happy to have been of help and would love to meet you, I work in the Kröpeliner Gate which is the big brick tower at the end of the pedestrian mall. We are open from 10am to 6pm and you will find me there chatting to visitors in English about the history of the city.

Anni

Hi Anni: Great! I found we can buy the Landerticket in Warnemuende with our local ticket which should save time in changing trains. We should be back in Rostock by 5pm. If we can find you we will stop by to say Hello.

Dave

Hi, The trains from the port station, Rostock Seehafen Nord (10-15 min walk from the ship) depart at 6 minutes past the hour arriving Rostock Hbf at 24 minutes past. Trains from Rostock Hbf depart at 34mins past the hour until 9.34pm. From the Hbf you can either walk or take a No5 or No6 tram into the city centre.

I understand that Celebrity usually put on shuttle buses into the city, this would be worth investigating. Otherwise a taxi is an option.

There are buses but they do not run direct into the city. The trip is much longer and involves a more dificult change to either a tram or bus in the suburbs.

Anni

Thank You very much.

Bob

Anni

I have read all your tremendously helpful posts, and all the alternatives sound great. However, we have our one day in May, off the Constellation (and I thank you for informing us that we will dock in Rostock, rather than Waremunde), and need to decide how best to spend it. We are six, very active adults, and we love to walk. Should we do Rostock and Schwerin? Or Rostock and Wismar? Or one of the other cities you've mentioned in your posts? We prefer to spend our time walking around towns, marketplaces, gardens, we're not that interested in spending our time indoors at churches or museums. Can you give me some advice? Thank you so much for all your advice.

Cherikm

HI, sorry for the delay, have just arrived back from visiting family in Australia.

The choice between Schwerin and Wismar is really personal. The trip to Schwerin is longer and the trains are only two-hourly whereas trains to Wismar leave every hour. The main attraction in Schwerin is the castle interior but the gardens and park are very nice too. Wismar is a place for walking around looking at very old, beautifully restored buildings. There are museums of course but to me all the interest is outside. On the same train line is Bad Doberan which has a minster church and the ruins of the monastery within the original grounds, great for walking. The little town is interesting too and the Molli Bahn runs right down the middle of the main street. Better than riding the Molli is to sit and have a drink literally within touching distance as she chuffs through, bell ringing to clear the traffic!

My day would be:- an early walk along the mole at Warnemunde; 9.37 train to Rostock Hbf, tram No 5 or 6 to Kröpeliner Tor where you can join a 1hour walking tour of the city (guided by an English ex-pat) cost $5pp, 10.30 start, no booking required; 13.06 train to Wismar and if you have time break the return journey at Bad Doberan.

All your travel would be covered by Lander Tickets. For a party of six the cheapest option is one ticket for 5 persons, €32 and one single, €20. The normal return ticket to Wismar would be €21 each plus tickets on the s-bahn so it is a considerable saving.

This plan is, of course, my personal preference I but hope it helps with your planning.

Anni

Thanks so much for laying out what sounds like a great day. I've just a few more questions if you don't mind.

First, we're docking in Rostock - Berth LP41, so what would be the best way to get to the start of the walking tour?

Also, is there any way we could do both Wismar and Schwerin, or would that take more time than we have available? Maybe a quick walk through the castle and gardens and then on to Wismar?

Finally, I've read your previous posts about buying the rail pass online ahead of time to cover five of us, can we also buy the single ticket the same way or do we need to do that day of at the station?

Thanks so much for all your help, and sorry if I'm asking questions you've previously answered. You've been great.

Cheri

Dear Rostocker. My wife and I will be arriving in Warnemunde on 16 August 2011 on the Celebrity Constellation. The ship will be in port from 9am to 11:59pm. We are 80 years old and would like to take an easy tour of the sights. My wife can walk 30-60 minutes then a short rest. Stairs are ok if not too many. What can you suggest that will allow us to appreciate the beauty of the area and not be too tired? Maybe something in the order of 6 hours? Thank you.

Bill

First, we're docking in Rostock - Berth LP41, so what would be the best way to get to the start of the walking tour?

Also, is there any way we could do both Wismar and Schwerin, or would that take more time than we have available? Maybe a quick walk through the castle and gardens and then on to Wismar?

Finally, I've read your previous posts about buying the rail pass online ahead of time to cover five of us, can we also buy the single ticket the same way or do we need to do that day of at the station?

Cheri

Hi Cheri, sorry I forgot you were docking in the Port, I can only plead jet-lag.

I believe that Celebrity puts on a shuttle bus from the Port to the City, it would be worth asking. Otherwise the s-bahn station, Seehafen Nord, is 10-15 mins walk from the ship. Trains depart for Rostock Hbf at 6 mins past the hour, then take tram #5 or#6 to Kropeliner Tor (5th stop). I know that the walking tour is starting a little later on 24th to accommodate people catching the 10.06 train. The same Historical Society does a slightly longer private tour for groups of 6 or more starting at the railway station. You can find out more by e-mailing them at gwrostock@gmail.com It would still give time to catch the 13.06 to Wismar.

I'm afraid that the train schedules would only give time to do Rostock/Schwerin, Rostock/Wismar (and possibly Bad Doberan) or Schwerin/Wismar but not all three in the time available; and Warnemunde would be very difficult to fit in although an evening stoll might just be possible if you are willing to take a taxi back to the ship.

Sorry I did not make myself clear on the tickets. The best option is two Lander Tickets, first ticket €20 for one person + €3 per person for up to five persons = €32 and second ticket €20 for one person. So both can be bought on-line. A bit complicated I know but hope that makes it clear.

If I can be of any further help with train times etc. once you have decided on an itinerary please ask.

Anni

Dear Rostocker. My wife and I will be arriving in Warnemunde on 16 August 2011 on the Celebrity Constellation. The ship will be in port from 9am to 11:59pm. We are 80 years old and would like to take an easy tour of the sights. My wife can walk 30-60 minutes then a short rest. Stairs are ok if not too many. What can you suggest that will allow us to appreciate the beauty of the area and not be too tired? Maybe something in the order of 6 hours? Thank you.

Bill

Dear Bill, Rostock and Warnemunde are both reasonably flat and easy for walking. My suggestion for you would be:-

Take the train into Rostock as early as possible (I note that you dock at 9am but as you are coming from Amsterdam there will be no immigration checks etc.) The station is about 500m from the terminal building and trains depart every 10 mins for the 25 min journey to Rostock Hbf (Central Station) From the Hbf take tram #5 or #6 into the City. Get off at the 5th stop (Kropeliner Tor) and walk up beside the Radisson Hotel to the big brick tower which is actually the Kropeliner Tor, one of the city gates. This is a good starting place to walk back through the City or from the Kropeliner Tor you can take a 1 hour walking tour of the main sights (guided by a British ex-pat), starting at 10.30am, cost 5euros pp. I know that the guide takes care to avoid steps wherever possible and the speed is more like a leisurely stroll than a walk! This tour ends at the market place where there is a good selection of cafes and restaurants, both indoor and outdoor. After lunch there is time for a look around and a bit of shopping before taking a boat trip back to Warnemunde. The boats leave the city harbour on the river at 2.15, 3.00 and 3.15. Cost 8 euros pp. The trip downriver takes about 40 mins and is a nice alternative to the train.

Warnemunde on a summer's evening is not to be missed. It is a compact little seaside town with a long, wide promenade; quaint little cobbled back streets; plenty on souvenir shops and lots of cafes, restaurants and bars mostly with tables on the pavement. And you are only 5 mins from your ship!

Hope this has given you a few ideas. If you have any more questions please ask. We look forward to seeing you in our beautiful, interesting city.

Anni

Hi Anni: Reading your posts, when returning to Rostock from Schwerin we take tram 5 or 6 the 5th stop is where you are located Kropeliner Tor. Can we see all the interesting site from there after saying hello

Dave

Hi Anni: Reading your posts, when returning to Rostock from Schwerin we take tram 5 or 6 the 5th stop is where you are located Kropeliner Tor. Can we see all the interesting site from there after saying hello

Dave

Hi, answer is yes, its a good starting point to walk from one end of the city to the other and then catch a tram back to the station. Will fill you in on the route to take when I see you. By the way, we often hang around a little later than 6pm on busy cruise days.

Anni

Hi, answer is yes, its a good starting point to walk from one end of the city to the other and then catch a tram back to the station. Will fill you in on the route to take when I see you. By the way, we often hang around a little later than 6pm on busy cruise days.

Anni

Maybe you would like a drink after hours. We may have another couple with us for the day.

Dave

Anni, you are fantastic. Your recommendations are perfect for our needs. Is it possible we will see you while we are in Warnemunde? Thank you so much for taking the pains you do in helping us travelers the way you do.

Bill

Maybe you would like a drink after hours. We may have another couple with us for the day.

Dave

Hi Dave, sounds like a lovely idea. My hours are flexible so maybe we could meet at the Hbf and start from there. Please contact me by e-mail, aussieinrostock@gmail.com

Anni :)

Anni, you are fantastic. Your recommendations are perfect for our needs. Is it possible we will see you while we are in Warnemunde? Thank you so much for taking the pains you do in helping us travelers the way you do.

Bill

Bill, thank you for your kind words. I really enjoy helping others to share my adopted home. I volunteer with the Rostock Historical Society and can be found in their HQ, the Kropeliner Tor, between 10am and 6pm every day on which there are cruise ships in port, answering questions and chatting to visitors in English.

Anni

We need help. I am presenting a paper in Berlin at an international conference when we are in port (mid July). We are looking to hire a driver for the day--to take us sightseeing on the way to Berlin, then dropping me off at my conference and taking my wife and 12 year-old daughter to see the sights of Berlin, while I make my presentation (basically 4-6), then returning us to the ship. Any ideas would be helpful.

Mark,Lisa and Ashley

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, My husband I will be docking on the NCL Sun. My main mission is to find an excellent linen shop where I can get true sized european pillows and pillow cases. I have a set from Germany at home, but we would like another set. Do you know of any good Linen shops that carry pillows? Would like to decrease my wandering time. We are only planning on going from Warnemunde to Rostock and back. Also any specific resturants you would recommend for a really good German meal. I have been to Germany several times (and am full blooded German) and I want to show my husband what real German food tastes like. Any suggestions are much appreciated, thank you!!

Hello Anni!

My wife and I will be on the Emerald Princes and will arrive in Warnemunde

at 7AM Sunday Sep 2, 2012. My wife has a niece in Waren. How difficult would it be to make a trip to visit her and still have time to see Warnemunde and Rostock? (Mostly I want some good beer and a bratwurst!!!):D:D

Hello Anni!

at 7AM Sunday Sep 2, 2012. My wife has a niece in Waren. How difficult would it be to make a trip to visit her and still have time to see Warnemunde and Rostock? (Mostly I want some good beer and a bratwurst!!!):D:D

Wow you are really planning ahead for that beer and brat! September 2012!;)

Hello Anni!

Hi, Waren is on the main line between Rostock and Berlin. At present the service is two hourly and the journey takes around 55mins but there is a rumour that the line is to be up-graded and so by Sept 2012 who knows!

On the present timetable you could be in Waren by 9.30am, spend 3 hrs there; be back in Rostock by 1pm and take a look around during the afternoon; then, depending on your sailing time, spend the evening in Warnemunde, where you will find good beer and bratwurst.

Happy planning, :)

Anni

howdy,

i ordered some tickets and am trying to understand if something got lost in translation

i ordered tickets through bahn.de for a warnemunde-hamburg round trip 27.6.11 +2 hamburg all day transit passes

the tickets came as rostock-hamburg +2 HVV all day transit passes

2 questions:

1 is this normal or do i need to contact bahn.de

2 do i need to exchange the transit passes?

many thanks

-jared

howdy,

i ordered some tickets and am trying to understand if something got lost in translation

i ordered tickets through bahn.de for a warnemunde-hamburg round trip 27.6.11 +2 hamburg all day transit passes

the tickets came as rostock-hamburg +2 HVV all day transit passes

2 questions:

1 is this normal or do i need to contact bahn.de

2 do i need to exchange the transit passes?

many thanks

-jared

Hi Jared, Ì am not quite clear as to what you have, standard return tickets or Mecklenburg Lander tickets.

Standard return tickets + HVV transit passes would have cost around €73 each or special price for nominated trains €51 each. Do they give departure as Rostock Warnemunde or Rostock Hbf ?

A Mecklenburg Lander Ticket + HVV transit pass would have cost €20 for one person plus €3 for each additional person. This ticket covers travel anywhere in Mecklenburg after 9am and also includes Rostock-Hamburg and HVV transit passes.

If you feel you have not got what you ordered you can contact a DB agency in your own country by phone. The numbers can be found on the DB English pages

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

I hope this is of help.

Anni