Live in Rostock/Warnemüde - happy to help you enjoy.

Travelanni

Dear Anni/Rostocker: Thank you so much for coming to my aid. I have over 500 sheets regarding our Baltic Cruise. I like to research all my ports. For some reason, the decision to go to Berlin, or stay in your area has been very difficult choice. And, finding my way, an even harder decision. With all your help, i think can finally do this and stay in your area. Appreciate all your help/advice. Thank you

Dear Anni/Rostocker: Thank you so much for coming to my aid. I have over 500 sheets regarding our Baltic Cruise. I like to research all my ports. For some reason, the decision to go to Berlin, or stay in your area has been very difficult choice. And, finding my way, an even harder decision. With all your help, i think can finally do this and stay in your area. Appreciate all your help/advice. Thank you, :) Elaine

Hi, Anni, I just came back from the Baltics cruise and I really want to say a sincere thanks to you. Since it was raining quite heavily on the day of arrival, we missed the 8:22am train to Rostock, we then had to take the 8:37am one, if I didn't have the information you told me before regarding which track the Schwerin train usually is, we would have missed the 9:07am train and had to wait for 2 more hours to get the next one. And I followed all the information you gave in this thread and we were all having a very good day in Schwerin. However, when we took the train back to Warnemunde from Rostock, it got delayed for an hour, it made us a little bit nervous since we didn't want to miss the ship. But overall, we had a very good time in your area and people there are very nice too. Thanks again!

Hi,

Warnemünde itself is a fascinating little place. Quaint old back streets, modern sea-front promenade with all the usual tourist facilities, wide sandy beach, fish market right alongside the boats, good restaurants and bars. Be sure to fit in a stroll, especially in the evening, even if you go further afield first.

Rostock is of course the closest city to visit and has a lot of interesting buildings and history, pleasant pedestrian shopping precincts and excellent restaurants. There is a train every 10 mins from Warnemünde to the Rostock Central Station and frequent trams from the station into the city centre.

Lübeck is a very historical and interesting town which was badly bombed during the war. It has a mixture of well restored medieval buildings and modern post-war architecture, some lovely churches and a couple of great museums. The journey from Rostock Central Station takes just under two hours and requires one change of train. There is a train every two hours.

Schwerin was the seat of the Dukes of Mecklenburg and the castle and grounds are open to the public. This was part of East Germany and had hardly any bomb damage so there are very few modern buildings but some beauties from the 17th and 18th century.

Stralsund is a World Heritage listed town. Lots great museums mostly housed in beautifully restored Medieval buildings, some fabulous churches and a huge, very modern, state of the art Oceanarium.

For both Schwerin and Stralsund there is a direct train service from Rostock every two hours and several trains in between for which you pay the standard fare. Travel time is just under one hour.

Another, and many consider the best, alternative is Wismar, also a World Heritage listed town. It is a real Medieval gem. There is an hourly train service from Rostock which goes through Bad Doberan, so the two can be visited in one trip. Travel time just over one hour

These towns are all part of the Mecklenburg day ticket area ie. €20 for one person + €3 for each additional person up to 5 persons travelling together, valid all day starting after 9am on weekdays or anytime on weekends.

Last but not least is the town of Güstrow. It is just a small country town which has had very little restoration and therefore gives a real insight into what these towns were like in GDR times before the advent of EU and tourist money. It has, however a beautifully restored castle with Ducal rooms open to the public and a good porcelain collection, two fine churches and a fantastic Museum of Nativity Cribs, 350 of them, from all over the world. The S-Bahn from Warnemümde runs once every hour to Güstrow. Unless you have 5 people travelling it is cheaper to buy a standard single ticket.

I can give more detailed information on Rostock and Güstrow and have posted more detailed information on fares, train times etc on previous threads. The web sites below are also worth browsing.

www.en.stralsundtourismus.de/

www.schwerin.com/english

www.muenster-doberan.de

www.luebeck-tourism.de

www.germanplaces.com/germany/wismar

Happy planning,

Anni

So Wismar and BAd Doberan over Schwerin?

Is this on a different line from the train to Schwerin?

Thanks!

So Wismar and BAd Doberan over Schwerin?

Is this on a different line from the train to Schwerin?

Thanks!

Hi, It is a matter of personal choice, after considering what you want to see and do really.

They are on different train lines. Schwerin is on the Rostock to Hamburg line with trains every two hours. Bad Doberan is on the local line between Rostock and Wismar with trains every hour.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

• 2 weeks later...

Ani,

I wanted to thank you for your advice. We docked in Rostock in May on the Celebrity Constellation. The shuttle from the ship dropped us downtown and we took the the tram to the train station. We were able to purchase our Lander tickets on the train and took it to Wismar. You were right it is a wonderful walking town and we had a very pleasant stay. We stopped on the way back in Bad Doberan and we walked downtown and had a snack and watched the train roll right thru the middle of the street.

Thank you again for taking the time to answer all of our questions.

Kathy

Thanks Anni

In a previous post you mentioned one hour walking tours by the historical society. You help them out yes? Could you tell me more about this please?

Thanks

Hi, my apologies, I seem to have missed this post, hope I am not too late.

The Historical Society tours leave the Kröpeliner Tor at 10.30am and 2pm. No need to book, just arrive a few minutes early and as long as there is a minimum of 4 people the tour goes. The walk, at a very leisurely pace, lasts about 1-1.1/2 hrs. taking in the history of the city, main points of interest and a few places not in the guide books, outdoors only. Guide is either English or German/American, both Rostock residents, cost is €5 per person.

From the Central Station take tram #6 or #5, platform A on the lower level, and get off at Kröpeliner Strasse (5th stop). Walk up the steps to the right of the Radisson Hotel, the gate-tower is right in front of you.

Please note that the train ticket from Warnemünde to the Central station also covers the tram ride into the city.

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

Ani,

I wanted to thank you for your advice. We docked in Rostock in May on the Celebrity Constellation. The shuttle from the ship dropped us downtown and we took the the tram to the train station. We were able to purchase our Lander tickets on the train and took it to Wismar. You were right it is a wonderful walking town and we had a very pleasant stay. We stopped on the way back in Bad Doberan and we walked downtown and had a snack and watched the train roll right thru the middle of the street.

Thank you again for taking the time to answer all of our questions.

Kathy

Hi Kathy, I'm so pleased you had a good day and that my advice was of help. It is my pleasure to be able to help others to enjoy this beautiful area.

Anni

Anni,

It looks like some car rental companies have desks at the Warnemunde port. Do you know how late they stay open and have any recommendations of one company over the others.

Vielen dank!

Anni, you are a rock!

I suspect I know what you will say, but...

With that Lander ticket, does everyone have to travel together (same place, same times)?

I just have to ask.

Hi,

As you are expecting, the answer is basically 'yes'.

The person whose name is on the ticket must be in the party at all times and ready to show ID if asked. If any members of the party split from the ticket holder (for example, to return by a different route) they must then pay the standard fare.

Anni

Edited by rostocker

Anni,

It looks like some car rental companies have desks at the Warnemunde port. Do you know how late they stay open and have any recommendations of one company over the others.

Vielen dank!

Hi,

When renting a car in Germany I have always used 'Sixt' or 'Europcar' both of whom have a desk in the terminal building on Cruise Ship days. Sixt are open 8am to 6pm weekdays and 8am to 12noon Saturdays. I imagine the others would have the same sort of hours.

You can also rent on-line with most companies and the car will be waiting for you in Warnemunde.

Anni

Edited by rostocker

Anni, we will dock in Warnemünde on Norwegian Sun on 29 July and plan to explore Warnemünde and Rostock on our own (by public transport and on foot). Rather than the S-Bahn both ways, I thought about taking the Hohe Düne ferry and then proceed with Bus 18 and Tram 4 into Rostock Stadtmitte and then come back in the afternoon by S-Bahn (is it worth to stop on the way at the IGA Park?).

I read that we can buy day tickets from the machine at the ferry.

Thank you for all the valuable information you provide in this forum.

Will you be at the Kröpeliner Tor on that day - it would be nice to be able to say hello

Greetings from Western Australia :)

Ursula

Edited by boeckli

plan to explore Warnemünde and Rostock on our own (by public transport and on foot). Rather than the S-Bahn both ways, I thought about taking the Hohe Düne ferry and then proceed with Bus 18 and Tram 4 into Rostock Stadtmitte and then come back in the afternoon by S-Bahn (is it worth to stop on the way at the IGA Park?).

Hi Ursula,

Good plan but you could also take a tram #1 or#2 from Dierkow Kreuz (the terminus of bus 18) straight to the City Centre. Stops are Neuer Markt, Langestr. and Kröpeliner Tor. Stadtmitte, as marked on the map, is not the city centre; very confusing. If you do take tram #4 you need to get off at Schröderplatz and walk into the city via the Kröpeliner Tor. I will be in the gate most of the day on 29th and would love to meet you.

The IGA park is quite a walk from the train at Lütten Klein and does not have much to see. Very pleasant parkland but I would not recommend it to anyone with limited time.

You can buy your day ticket from the machine at the entrance to the ferry.

Happy cruising, :).

Anni

Edited by rostocker

plan to explore Warnemünde and Rostock on our own (by public transport and on foot). Rather than the S-Bahn both ways, I thought about taking the Hohe Düne ferry and then proceed with Bus 18 and Tram 4 into Rostock Stadtmitte and then come back in the afternoon by S-Bahn (is it worth to stop on the way at the IGA Park?).

Hi Ursula,

Good plan but you could also take a tram #1 or#2 from Dierkow Kreuz (the terminus of bus 18) straight to the City Centre. Stops are Neuer Markt, Langestr. and Kröpeliner Tor. Stadtmitte, as marked on the map, is not the city centre; very confusing. If you do take tram #4 you need to get off at Schröderplatz and walk into the city via the Kröpeliner Tor. I will be in the gate most of the day on 29th and would love to meet you.

The IGA park is quite a walk from the train at Lütten Klein and does not have much to see. Very pleasant parkland but I would not recommend it to anyone with limited time.

You can buy your day ticket from the machine at the entrance to the ferry.

Happy cruising, :).

Anni

Thanks for the info, Anni - we will then probably take Tram #1 or #2 from Dierkower Kreuz

Hi Anni

Any suggestions for a British family of 6 in Warnemunde on 22 July? We are aged 10 - 64 and on the cruise will see a lot of beautiful cities and history so would like something a bit different. Don't want to go to Berlin as it would be easy for us to go for a longer trip another time. Not really a beach family either, apart from for a half hour or so stroll. Difficult I'm afraid. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Katie

Hi Anni

Any suggestions for a British family of 6 in Warnemunde on 22 July? We are aged 10 - 64 and on the cruise will see a lot of beautiful cities and history so would like something a bit different. Don't want to go to Berlin as it would be easy for us to go for a longer trip another time. Not really a beach family either, apart from for a half hour or so stroll. Difficult I'm afraid. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Katie

Hi Katie, A ride on the Molli Bahn is something different. It runs from Bad Doberan to the coast. You can travel to Bad Doberan either by bus direct from Warnemunde or by train via Rostock using a day ticket, cost 35.10 euros for a goup of 5 + 7.30 euros for a child, which covers public transport (trains, buses, trams, ferries) in the whole Rostock region.

www.molli-bahn.de/Home.5.0.html this site has only one page in English but a look at the other pages gives a good idea of what there is to see. There are also some good videos and pictures on other sites.

It is a privately run train so there is an extra cost but it departs from the same station and the timetable connects with the buses and trains on the public system.

If you are interested I can give you more info. on times etc.

Anni