Live in Rostock/Warnemüde - happy to help you enjoy.

Travelanni

thank you for the reply

i believe its a standard return ticket €158 for 2 people 1 class

+5,50 x2 for hvv grossbereich hamburg

it is just "rostock ->hamburg" not rostock warnemunde or rostock hbf, which is causing the confusion

many thanks for your help

thank you for the reply

i believe its a standard return ticket €158 for 2 people 1 class

+5,50 x2 for hvv grossbereich hamburg

it is just "rostock ->hamburg" not rostock warnemunde or rostock hbf, which is causing the confusion

many thanks for your help

In that case it denotes that the ticket is valid from/to any station in the Rostock s-bahn area which includes Rostock Warnemunde.

Hope this clears up the confusion.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

Anni

you can hire a car from hertz http://www.hertz.co.uk/rentacar/location/index.jsp?targetPage=locationResultsView.jsp&locType=pUp&search=Rostock%2C+Germany+&origin=reservation&formaction=&locationSearchType=homepage&majorAirport=N#

they open the pick ups from the 19th April for cruise season only.

We have used them before and booked a medium family car for 3 and they delivered us a mercedes c class but we only paid for a ford. Come out of the terminal building - turn right and walk to the restaurant that has an outside garden. it's a couple of minutes - once inside the door go to the desk and they will have your paperwork and keys ready. you need ID and the booking papers and your driving licence. You can't make a reservation for this pick up point until they open the season but we will be booking one for our Eclipse trip in july.

the cars are then parked in the car park to the left of the terminal building

p.s turn left out of the car park or you end up on the ferry by mistake

Jan

Hi Jan

the Hertz Rental Place ist not there anymore.

Last year they had a mobile office in front of the terminal an this year several companies are opening offices right in the cruise terminal.

Companies are:

http://www.europcar.com Search for 'ROSTOCK CRUISE TERMINAL WARNEMUENDE'

http://www.sixt.com Search for 'Rostock Warnemünde Cruise Ctr.'

http://www.enterprise.com they deliver from the City office an there is a Voice Connectionsystem directly to the office

http://www.hertz.com search for 'Rostock - Kreuzfahrtterminal (cruise terminal)'

You will get the keys personaly by the employees of the different companies and there are boxes for returning the keys whenever you wish to do.

btw. today the first cruise ship arrives in Warnemunde this season.

It's the Marco Polo by Cruise & Maritime Voyages.

Dear Anni: i hope you don't mind if i use your thread to post this information.

Harald

Hi Jan

btw. today the first cruise ship arrives in Warnemunde this season.

It's the Marco Polo by Cruise & Maritime Voyages.

Dear Anni: i hope you don't mind if i use your thread to post this information.

Harald

Hi Harald,

I don't mind a bit, threads are open to anyone with useful info and I certainly did not have that bit.

Today, in my capacity as a volunteer 'meet and greet' I talked to quite a lot of passengers from the Marco Polo. Including one couple who had owned a pub in the town where I was born as well as the lady being born in the town where I spent my teenage and early married life before emigrating to Australia. What a small world we live in!

Regards, Anni :)

Hi, Anni.

We will be on the Eurodam when it spends Wednesday, May 25 in Warnemünde. Our group of four is planning to spend the day and evening sightseeing locally in the Rostock/ Warnemünde area. From earlier posts, I understand that we can take one of the frequent (several times an hour) S-bahn trains from the Warnemünde station (a short walk from our ship) to one of the central Rostock stations. We can return to Warnemünde the same way. All correct so far? Is a change of trains or trams required in either direction?

Do the ticket machines for the S-bahns accept American “swipe the magnetic strip” style credit cards, or do they require the “chip and PIN” type?

We are interested in the Rostock one-hour walking tour that you said is offered by the Historical Society. Is it offered throughout the day or only at a specific time? Where does it start, and which S-bahn station or tram stop is closest to that place?

In addition to the guided walking tour, what other two or three points of interest in Rostock would you say are “can’t miss?”

What is the location or address of the Historical Society at which you volunteer? I like to scope out the terrain ahead of time using Google maps or the like, but Google Maps aren’t always good locating by place name, especially in English!

Thanks for your help!

Jon

Hi, Anni.

We will be on the Eurodam when it spends Wednesday, May 25 in Warnemünde. Our group of four is planning to spend the day and evening sightseeing locally in the Rostock/ Warnemünde area. From earlier posts, I understand that we can take one of the frequent (several times an hour) S-bahn trains from the Warnemünde station (a short walk from our ship) to one of the central Rostock stations. We can return to Warnemünde the same way. All correct so far? Is a change of trains or trams required in either direction?

Do the ticket machines for the S-bahns accept American “swipe the magnetic strip” style credit cards, or do they require the “chip and PIN” type?

We are interested in the Rostock one-hour walking tour that you said is offered by the Historical Society. Is it offered throughout the day or only at a specific time? Where does it start, and which S-bahn station or tram stop is closest to that place?

In addition to the guided walking tour, what other two or three points of interest in Rostock would you say are “can’t miss?”

What is the location or address of the Historical Society at which you volunteer? I like to scope out the terrain ahead of time using Google maps or the like, but Google Maps aren’t always good locating by place name, especially in English!

Thanks for your help!

Jon

Hi Jon,

Yes you are correct. Trains depart Warnemünde for Rostock Central Station (Hbf) every 10-15 mins depending on the time of day. From the lower level of the Hbf you take a number 5 or number 6 tram to the City. The ticket which you buy in Warnemünde for €1.70 covers both train and tram. Please do not forget to validate it in the orange box on the platform.

I am not sure if the machines accept your type of card but my advice would be to have some euros with you in any case as many of the smaller shops and most of the cafes ( as opposed to restaurants) do not accept credit cards of any kind. Coins are also required for rest-rooms. Correct change is not necessary for the ticket machines, they will give change for €5 and €10 notes. There are three stops in the city; Neuer Markt, Lange Strasse and Kröpeliner Tor.

The Historical Society is based in the Kröpeliner Tor, the tall brick tower located at the end of the Kröpeliner Strasse. The walking tours start from there at 10.30am and 2pm every day on which there are ships in port. Take the tram from Hbf as directed above and get off at Kröpeliner Tor, 5th stop from the Hbf. Walk up the steps to the right of the Radisson Hotel and the Tor is right in front of you.

We look forward to welcoming you to our beautiful, interesting city.

Anni

Hi Anni! I was wondering if the train schedule in the summer is different than the spring. For example, when I searched for a train from Warnemunde to Berlin in May, there was a 9am ICE train, but when I searched in August, there were no ICE trains after 8am. Is that because it's the summer schedule? I assume so, but I can't find anything that confirms it.

We're due to be in port at 8 am on August 4 on the Oceania Insignia.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Anni! I was wondering if the train schedule in the summer is different than the spring. For example, when I searched for a train from Warnemunde to Berlin in May, there was a 9am ICE train, but when I searched in August, there were no ICE trains after 8am. Is that because it's the summer schedule? I assume so, but I can't find anything that confirms it.

We're due to be in port at 8 am on August 4 on the Oceania Insignia.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, the ICE from Warnemunde to Berlin on August 4th departs at 6.59am. There has only ever been one ICE service from Warnemunde departing at 6.59 on weekdays and 9.01 on Saturday. The latter must be the one which you found when researching in May.

Sorry to disappoint you as I know this means that with your berthing time the ICE is impossible. The first RE departs Rostock at 9.07 so this would be a possibility depending on how fast you could get off the ship but the next is 11.07 which shortens the available time in Berlin somewhat.

I am a great believer in DIY sightseeing but in the case of Berlin would strongly recommend that you consider an organised tour. Apart from the time factor, you are a long way from the ship should anything go wrong (and it frequently does on the railway) and although the ships will wait for passengers on an organised tour which encounters problems they will not do the same if you are DIY!

Anni

Edited by rostocker

Thanks, Anni! I'm not sure what I was looking at -- I must have been staring at so many train schedules that I confused (or deluded) myself! I guess I was holding out hope that there might be something I was missing. We'll definitely do a guided tour so we can maximize our time.

HI, sorry for the delay, have just arrived back from visiting family in Australia.

The choice between Schwerin and Wismar is really personal. The trip to Schwerin is longer and the trains are only two-hourly whereas trains to Wismar leave every hour. The main attraction in Schwerin is the castle interior but the gardens and park are very nice too. Wismar is a place for walking around looking at very old, beautifully restored buildings. There are museums of course but to me all the interest is outside. On the same train line is Bad Doberan which has a minster church and the ruins of the monastery within the original grounds, great for walking. The little town is interesting too and the Molli Bahn runs right down the middle of the main street. Better than riding the Molli is to sit and have a drink literally within touching distance as she chuffs through, bell ringing to clear the traffic!

My day would be:- an early walk along the mole at Warnemunde; 9.37 train to Rostock Hbf, tram No 5 or 6 to Kröpeliner Tor where you can join a 1hour walking tour of the city (guided by an English ex-pat) cost $5pp, 10.30 start, no booking required; 13.06 train to Wismar and if you have time break the return journey at Bad Doberan.

All your travel would be covered by Lander Tickets. For a party of six the cheapest option is one ticket for 5 persons, €32 and one single, €20. The normal return ticket to Wismar would be €21 each plus tickets on the s-bahn so it is a considerable saving.

This plan is, of course, my personal preference I but hope it helps with your planning.

Anni

Anni,

We are trying to decide on our excursion for May 24. I like your plan to Wismar and stopping in Bad Doberan. If I buy the Lander train tickets can I use them any way I want or do I have to choose the stops and times now before I buy. I like the freedom to choose whichever return time we want. Also are the lander tickets for one way only or are they an all day pass? Do you have any recommendations on what to do in Wismar?

Thank you so much for your help

Kathy

Anni,

We are trying to decide on our excursion for May 24. I like your plan to Wismar and stopping in Bad Doberan. If I buy the Lander train tickets can I use them any way I want or do I have to choose the stops and times now before I buy. I like the freedom to choose whichever return time we want. Also are the lander tickets for one way only or are they an all day pass? Do you have any recommendations on what to do in Wismar?

Kathy

Hi Kathy,

Lander tickets are an all day pass valid from 9am to 3am the following day. They can be used on all local (s-bahn) and regional (RE and RB) trains within Mecklenburg and also to Hamburg and Luebeck. You do not need to choose your trains in advance, just make sure the ones you use are designated RE, RB or S-bahn. This is clearly shown on timetables.

Wismar is a wonderful place for walking around just marvelling at the age of the buildings which have been beautifully restored. The Market Place is a good place to start and the staff in the tourist information office there are very helpful.

I would definitely recommend a visit to the Schabbelhaus, the oldest building in Wismar, which is open as a museum and shows what life was like in this type of house in the 14th century and Am Hafen (on the harbour) is a pretty area where there are some nice places to eat. Sorry I can't be more help with things to do but I have always been carried away by the architecture - wandering around and taking masses of photos.

Unfortunately the tourism web site is in German only (which is strange, it being a World Heritage Site) but the pictures give you an idea of what there is to see. www.wismar.de

Anni

Anni,

Thank you so much. The train web site is a bit confusing. I done see how I can buy the Lander tickets in advance without choosing times and stops so we will just buy them in Rostock. Our ship is docking in Rostock and we dont leave until midnight. Is there something to do at night? Can we use the Lander tickets to get to Warmunde? Thanks in advance.

Anni,

Thank you so much. The train web site is a bit confusing. I done see how I can buy the Lander tickets in advance without choosing times and stops so we will just buy them in Rostock. Our ship is docking in Rostock and we dont leave until midnight. Is there something to do at night? Can we use the Lander tickets to get to Warmunde? Thanks in advance.

Hi, someone else who was finding it confusing managed after reading this. Hope you can too as it is much better to get the confusion over sitting at your computer than on the station with time ticking away and a long queue behind you!

Open http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Choose 'OFFERS' in the top bar.

Choose 'Regional Tickets within Germany' > 'Lander Tickets'

> Book your ticket here

Select 'single ride'

Fill in the departure station Rostock Hbf (Rostock Main Station)

Fill in any destination in Mecklenburg (ie. Schwerin,Wismar etc) if the drop menu gives several stations for that town choose Hbf.

Fill in date ticket is required, time of departure 9am (this does not matter but it will not let you continue without a time!)

Enter number of travellers.

Leave all other choices as is.

When selection of trains appears choose >purchase in Savings fares column.

Choose Mecklenburg-Vorpommern-Ticket. (Note that it says - 'Valid Mon-Fri as from 09:00 h, as from 0:00 h on Sat, Sun and public holidays. Valid for unlimited number of journeys on day of validity, regardless of connection shown'.)

Follow the prompts to buy and print out your ticket. Good luck.

You can certainly use your tickets to get to Warnemunde and it is a nice place to spend the evening. The best way to return to the ship is to take the s-bahn two stops from Warnemunde to Lutten Klein and the no. 45 bus from there (last bus 9.58pm).

Rostock is a pleasant place to stroll on a summer evening and all shops are open until 8pm. Cafes and restaurants until 10pm or even later. But be aware, the last train for Seehafen Nord departs 9.34pm.

Anni.

First, we're docking in Rostock - Berth LP41,

Hi, if you intend travelling on the s-bahn from Seehafen Nord to Rostock Hbf please note that due to track work the train will be replaced by a bus from Seehafen Nord to Hinrichsdorfer Str. where passengers will transfer to the train.

Departure will be 5mins earlier, ie.1min past the hour, arrival in Rostock is the same ie. 24 mins past.

Don't be fazed by this - the bus is a 'special', just for travellers on the s-bahn and the change over will be easy.

Sometimes the ships run a bus to the Hbf, it might pay to enquire.

Anni.

Edited by rostocker

Hi Anni,

Like many others rather than going into Berlin we are planning on touring Warnemunde, Rostock and Schwerin. Looking at the train schedules and fares I'm wondering if I'm reading the DB web site correctly. Is it true that a one way fare from Rostock to Schwerin for 1 person is 15.80 Eur, but I can purchase a Lander ticket for 26 Eur and that will cover up to 5 people for a whole day? Also is the Mecklenburg-Vorpommern the Lander ticket I should purchase?

Thank,

Tom

Hi Anni,

Like many others rather than going into Berlin we are planning on touring Warnemunde, Rostock and Schwerin. Looking at the train schedules and fares I'm wondering if I'm reading the DB web site correctly. Is it true that a one way fare from Rostock to Schwerin for 1 person is 15.80 Eur, but I can purchase a Lander ticket for 26 Eur and that will cover up to 5 people for a whole day? Also is the Mecklenburg-Vorpommern the Lander ticket I should purchase?

Thank,

Tom

Hi Tom, Yes you are right, 15.80 is the standard one way fare and a Mecklenburg Vorpommern Lander ticket is the one you want. The price has altered slightly but it is still a considerable saving on the standard fare.

From my post of 28/12

The new prices are as follows:- 1st person €20 + €3 for each additional person up to maximum 5 people. ie ticket for 5 will cost €32.

This ticket is valid from 9am to 3am the following morning, Monday to Friday and 3am to 3am the following morning Saturday and Sunday.

It covers travel anywhere in Mecklenburg vor Pommern plus direct journeys from MvP to Hamburg or Lubeck (but not between Hamburg and Lubeck) and direct jouneys between MvP and Sczcezin in Poland. It is also valid on the city s-bahn systems in Rostock and Hamburg.

It can only be used on the Deutsche Bahn RE and RB trains (not valid on IC, EC or ICE ) and the privately operated OLA and Ostseebahn within MvP

The DB English website http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en is a clear and easily navigated source for times, fares, special offers etc.

Tip:- If you are travelling from Warnemünde by s-bahn to catch a connecting train in Rostock it may be better to take the s-bahn one earlier than that suggested in the timetable as Rostock station, although not very big, can be a bit confusing to a stranger.

For instructions on how to buy a Lander ticket on line please see my post of 26/04.

Anni

Hi, Anni, I have a question for you, it may sound silly, but I really don't know the answer. I am going from Warnemunde to Schwerin and I know that I have to change train at Rostock, but is the train from Rostock to Schwerin direct train or are there any stops in between? If there are stops in between, for how many stops after Rostock is Schwerin? Or will they make annoucement for the stops or is there any electronic boards to indicate the name of the next stations? Thanks!

Hi, Anni, I have a question for you, it may sound silly, but I really don't know the answer. I am going from Warnemunde to Schwerin and I know that I have to change train at Rostock, but is the train from Rostock to Schwerin direct train or are there any stops in between? If there are stops in between, for how many stops after Rostock is Schwerin? Or will they make annoucement for the stops or is there any electronic boards to indicate the name of the next stations? Thanks!

Hi, its not a silly question! Much better to know than spend the whole trip worrying about missing your stop.

When travelling by RE, Schwerin is the 6th stop from Rostock. (Schwaan, Bützow, Blankenburg, Ventschow, Bad Kleinen, Schwerin Hbf) It is about 10mins from the previous stop, Bad Kleinen.

There are electronic boards at each end of every car, indicators above the doors and announcements.

Before every station there is a musical sound (pretty when you first hear it but gets a bit wearing after a few years!) then the recorded announcement "Wir erreichen jetz in .............." ie "We are approaching ..............., the driver then informs which side of the train the platform is on. This all happens in plenty of time and there will be others getting off so the stop is reasonably long in the Hbf.

If by any chance you have chosen to travel by IC the only stop between Rostock and Schwerin is Bützow and the announcements are in both German and English.

Anni

PS. For the benefit of those travelling on other routes, the announcements on all REs follow the same format.

Anni,

Kathy

I like yor plan for Wismar also. We may be there for lunch on June 5 and are interested in your recommendations. I think I read something about an old brewery but could be confusing this with another port.

Also, will any tourist info be open in Wismar on a Sunday? A tourist map would be handy.

Hi Anni,

Leaving Wed. for Hannover then off to Mallorca for the first week of my holiday. Will try to pop in to the Historical Society to see if you are there when we eventually get to Rostock (sometime after the 25th).

Thanks for all the information you provide on this thread, got my list ready and will wait and see what the other two decide on doing. Should be a great trip!

Hi Anni,

Leaving Wed. for Hannover then off to Mallorca for the first week of my holiday. Will try to pop in to the Historical Society to see if you are there when we eventually get to Rostock (sometime after the 25th).

Thanks for all the information you provide on this thread, got my list ready and will wait and see what the other two decide on doing. Should be a great trip!

Hi, your thanks is appreciciated. Would love to say Hello. Will be in the Kropeliner Tor 25/27/29 May and 4/5/6/7/8 June.

Have a great vacation, hope you enjoy Rerik, its one of my favourite places.

Anni :)

Hi, I am an Australian who came to Rostock as a tourist several years ago and fell in love with the city. So much so that I have lived here for the past four years exploring the beauty and learning the history of the city and surrounding area. It would be my pleasure to help others enjoy my adopted home too. :)

Hi Anni,

I have read all your good advice and now I need some more. My husband and I will be on the Emerald Princess docking in Warnemunde on June 27. I am in a wheelchair and my husband pushes me. How far is the distance from the dock to the center of Warnemunde? Is it possible to do in a wheelchair? or is it rough cobblestones, high curbs, etc?

Is the train to Rostock wheelchair accessible? The #5 or #6 tram to City Center? In one of your posts you said "walk up steps to right of Radison Hotel", any way around the steps? I guess my overriding question is what is possible to see and do in a wheelchair? Thanks for your help.

Betty

Hi Anni,

I have read all your good advice and now I need some more. My husband and I will be on the Emerald Princess docking in Warnemunde on June 27. I am in a wheelchair and my husband pushes me. How far is the distance from the dock to the center of Warnemunde? Is it possible to do in a wheelchair? or is it rough cobblestones, high curbs, etc?

Is the train to Rostock wheelchair accessible? The #5 or #6 tram to City Center? In one of your posts you said "walk up steps to right of Radison Hotel", any way around the steps? I guess my overriding question is what is possible to see and do in a wheelchair? Thanks for your help.

Betty

Hi Betty, the distance between the dock and the centre of Warnemunde is very short but there are a few problems for wheelchairs at present. The direct route goes through an underpass with stairs but there are a couple of ways around, takes longer but is do-able.

Instead of turning right at the terminal gates you turn left and proceed about 500yds to the level crossing. Turn right again along the Alter Strom (small stretch of water, not the main channel) and 500yds to the town. The second alternative - turn right out of the terminal, proceed along the quay past the turnoff to the station and past the motor-home park. There is a small gate in the fence, with a ramp, which takes you across the car park. Turn left out of the car park and you will arrive on the town side of the station. This route is usually open as long as there are only 2 ships in port but in any case it is a very pleasant walk with smooth surfaces.

Many of the streets in Warnemunde are cobbled but there are some smooth surfaces noteably the promenade along the seaward end of the Alter Strom, the mole and the seafront promenade. All kerbs have low access points where people cross.

It is possible to travel on the train to Rostock by visiting the DB service centre or asking one of the DB staff on the station. They will arrange for use of the ramp which all stations have. A member of staff handles the ramp and they phone ahead for the ramp to be available wherever you wish to you get off. If you are unsure of doing this yourself my advice would be to ask a member of the crew or someone in the tourist office in the terminal to arrange it for you.

In Rostock there are elevators to all levels of the station including the tram platforms and the trams themselves are wheelchair friendly, the floors and the platforms are level and close. There is no extra cost for any of these services, you just need a valid tickets for yourselves.

There are also cobbled streets in Rostock but the modern cobbles on the pedestrian streets are fairly smooth and there are smooth sidewalks.

There is also a ramp as well as steps to the right of the Radisson, straight ahead from the traffic lights. In fact I would recommend this stop (Kropeliner Tor) and use of the ramp as getting off at the Neuer Markt stop would involve crossing the market place which is very rough cobbles.

I hope this helps you with your planning, if you need any more details please contact me

Anni, aussieinrostock@gmail.com