Live in Rostock/Warnemüde - happy to help you enjoy.

Travelanni

Hello, thanks in advance for your help...my wife and I are thinking of a low key day here instead of a grueling trip to Berlin.Is it a walkable town,what are the highlights or suggestions for spending the day here??....how far from where Celebrity berths???? thanks again,Fred

Hello, thanks in advance for your help...my wife and I are thinking of a low key day here instead of a grueling trip to Berlin.Is it a walkable town,what are the highlights or suggestions for spending the day here??....how far from where Celebrity berths???? thanks again,Fred

Hi Fred, last question first. It depends on your date and which Celebrity ship. Usually all cruise ships dock at the Cruise Terminal right in Warnemunde, 5mins walk into the centre of town, 10mins to the beach. However, on 16th August Celebrity Eclipse will be docking in the Port of Rostock (the commercial docks). Celebrity does put on shuttle buses but I believe they charge for the 'service'.

Warnemunde is very walkable, compact and flat although there are a lot of cobbles. Highlights include a small museum, the lighthouse which you can climb for great views of the coast, a wide sandy beach and nice promenade. At the end of the promenade the path runs through forest along low cliffs for miles. There are plenty of small shops, restaurants and cafes to suit every taste and pocket; boat trips to view the Port and the shipping and the cross river ferry to Hohe Dune where you can stroll around the resort and marina or get good photos of your ship.

Warnemunde is a suburb of the city of Rostock, the city centre is a 20min train ride away. Once again flat and compact (although with the inevitable cobbles) the city is full of history. For what to see and do visit www.rsag-online.com/guests_visitors/places_to_go.

Hope this helps with your planning.

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

Anni:

I know this isn't about Rostock but perhaps you can help. I am trying to book a round trip from Kiel to Hamburg on Sat 30 July. I can get the schedule and pick out trains but the message is "not bookable via internet". Do you know why this would be?

Thanks in advance.

Rich W

Anni:

I know this isn't about Rostock but perhaps you can help. I am trying to book a round trip from Kiel to Hamburg on Sat 30 July. I can get the schedule and pick out trains but the message is "not bookable via internet". Do you know why this would be?

Thanks in advance.

Rich W

Hi, sorry but I have no idea why this should be, the different DB regions all have their own little peculiarities and Kiel is not in my region. Maybe someone who has already made the trip could help.

The trains are very frequent and there are plenty of machines on the station so it should not take too much time to buy a ticket in Kiel.

Incidentally, it may be worthwhile to enquire if a Schleswig-Holstein Lander ticket would be more economical as it also includes travel on the Hamburg public transport system.

Anni

Thank you so much for pointing us toward the department store. We bought our sought after pillows and pillow cases. My mom even picked up a pair. The lady at the store didn't speak english, but was very helpful with our hand signals and our limited knowledge of numbers. Just wanted to let you know that we got our pillows. Thanks!

Thank you so much for pointing us toward the department store. We bought our sought after pillows and pillow cases. My mom even picked up a pair. The lady at the store didn't speak english, but was very helpful with our hand signals and our limited knowledge of numbers. Just wanted to let you know that we got our pillows. Thanks!

Hi, thanks for letting me know. I was in Kaufhof the other day and thought about you. Most people here are very nice and do try to be helpful even when they don't speak English.

Sweet dreams on your new pillows.

Regards, Anni

Hi again Annie

Don't think the train would quite do the trick, kids probably too old for that. Any ideas for anything more active/exciting? If not, don't worry and thanks for trying.

Best Wishes

Kaie

Hi again Annie

Don't think the train would quite do the trick, kids probably too old for that. Any ideas for anything more active/exciting? If not, don't worry and thanks for trying.

Best Wishes

Kaie

Hi Katie, I have asked around my young friends but Rostock/Warnemunde is a very quiet location without much in the way of activity or excitement. However one of the boys suggested the Kletterwald, a sort of adventure park with a tree-tops trail which involves a lot of climbing, abseiling and flying-fox elements. The web site is all in German but the pictures give you an idea what it is about.

www.kletterwald.de/content.php?category=2&page=1

It is open daily from 9.30am to 7.30pm and the entry price is 17euros for adults, 14euros for students (12-18yrs) This is if you want to participate and covers safety equipment etc. for 105 mins. Spectators are free!! To get there take the cross-river ferry in front of the cruise ship terminal then a #18 bus to Markgrafenheide, about half an hour altogether. The park is right beside the bus stop.

I would recommend that you visit the Tourist Office in Warnemunde first as they may have more information in English plus the bus time-table.

Anni

Does anyone have experience of docking in Rostock with Celebrity? I read earlier in the thread someone saying there was a shuttle to downtown? Is there a charge for that or since it is a more industrial port is there transport provided? I am trying to firm up our plans (maybe a train to Wismar or Schwerin) but since we are docking in Rostock it seems a bit more difficult as there isn't so much information floating about re the logistics of getting to the train etc. Thanks.

Does anyone have experience of docking in Rostock with Celebrity? I read earlier in the thread someone saying there was a shuttle to downtown? Is there a charge for that or since it is a more industrial port is there transport provided? I am trying to firm up our plans (maybe a train to Wismar or Schwerin) but since we are docking in Rostock it seems a bit more difficult as there isn't so much information floating about re the logistics of getting to the train etc. Thanks.

Hi,

Celebrity runs a shuttle bus from the Port of Rostock but on the last two occasions it has been to Warnemunde not into Rostock City. If you are catching a train from Rostock Hbf further afield this wastes time.

There is a train station at Seehfen Nord, about 10-15 mins walk from the berth. The trains are running normally again after track work and depart every hour at 6mins past arriving Rostock Hbf at 24 mins past.

Of course it would be worth enquiring if Celebrity are running shuttle buses to Rostock Hbf or into the city.

Anni

Hi Anni,

Your many posts and explantions are super.

We arrive on the Eurodam on 15 August...probably not going to Berlin...will spend the day in Warnermunde and/or Rostok.

Do you know of any places with free WiFi in Warnermunde? In Rostok?

Is there a McDonalds in either city? I don't want to eat there, but around the world McDonalds has free WiFi internet access.

Also having free WiFi is Starbucks.

Thanks, Steve in San Diego California

Hi

We are planning to take train from Berlin to warnemounde to catch our cruise ship which is leaving at 10 pm.

There is only one ICE train arrives around 8:50pm. I want to know how realible is Germany train? I thought they are very reliable but some web site says that on time rate is only 72%.

Hi Anni,

Your many posts and explantions are super.

We arrive on the Eurodam on 15 August...probably not going to Berlin...will spend the day in Warnermunde and/or Rostok.

Do you know of any places with free WiFi in Warnermunde? In Rostok?

Is there a McDonalds in either city? I don't want to eat there, but around the world McDonalds has free WiFi internet access.

Also having free WiFi is Starbucks.

Thanks, Steve in San Diego California

Hi Steve, there are McDonalds in both places.

Warnemunde - turn right from your ship, along the quay, left through the underpass, straight ahead across the bridge, first right onto the street running alongside the harbour. McDonalds is about 500 yds on the left.

Rostock - in University Square, corner of Kropeliner and Breite Str, opposite the big fountain.

The only other place I know with 'hot spots' is the bookshop called Weiland, on the left between University Square and the Kropeliner Tor (big brick tower at the end of the pedestrian shopping street)

Thanks for the kind words, it is my pleasure to help others enjoy their visit to our beautiful city.

Anni

Edited by rostocker

Hi

We are planning to take train from Berlin to warnemounde to catch our cruise ship which is leaving at 10 pm.

There is only one ICE train arrives around 8:50pm. I want to know how realible is Germany train? I thought they are very reliable but some web site says that on time rate is only 72%.

Hi, German trains are generally very good but that 72% rate is probably fairly accurate for the final destination of long distance train journeys (that particular ICE starts in Munich) and the later in the day the more likely delays are to occur as they hold trains to make important connections.

Not sure how early you need to be on board before sailing but a train supposed to be arriving at 8.50 for a 10.00 sailing would be a bit risky. I certainly would not chance it.

The RE trains between Berlin and Rostock are nearly as fast as the ICE (12 mins difference as the track is not suitable for high speeds) and very comfortable. The train service between Rostock and Warnemunde runs every 15 mins, journey takes 20 mins or a taxi takes about the same time, cost around 25 euros.

Anni

Hi,

Celebrity runs a shuttle bus from the Port of Rostock but on the last two occasions it has been to Warnemunde not into Rostock City. If you are catching a train from Rostock Hbf further afield this wastes time.

There is a train station at Seehfen Nord, about 10-15 mins walk from the berth. The trains are running normally again after track work and depart every hour at 6mins past arriving Rostock Hbf at 24 mins past.

Of course it would be worth enquiring if Celebrity are running shuttle buses to Rostock Hbf or into the city.

Anni

Thanks. I can't decide what to do! I guess we may have to wait until on board and see what options are available before making the final decision. I wonder if they charge for the shuttle to Warnemunde? (no doubt they do!!)

Hi everyone, just a note o the latest scam to hit our area.

You will be approached by a child or teenager who hands you a rose and wishes you 'Wilkommen in Deutschland' (welcome to Germany) You naturally feel charmed by this reception but if you accept the rose you will then be asked for a 'small donation to help with treatment for my sick sister'. Some even have this written in (bad) English on a card. If you try to hand back the rose the smaller children have even been trained to cry!! The older ones will refuse the rose and continue to press for money. Of course there is no sick sister and if you look around you will see other children of similar appearance doing the same thing and an adult lurking somewhere in the background, never doing the actual begging. They rely on the fact that once having accepted the flower you will be reluctant to upset a child. Whole families are coming from the bigger cities for the day, buying roses at 10 for 2euros and then asking for 1euro per rose. Not bad if you can get away with it. It is just another form of using children to beg and it is illegal but very hard to stop because if caught they just drop their roses and melt away. Without a complaint from the person 'robbed' the police cannot do anything. So please, be aware that this is happening and help to stamp out this form of child exploitation. Thankyou

Anni

Hi everyone, just a note o the latest scam to hit our area.

You will be approached by a child or teenager who hands you a rose and wishes you 'Wilkommen in Deutschland' (welcome to Germany) You naturally feel charmed by this reception but if you accept the rose you will then be asked for a 'small donation to help with treatment for my sick sister'. Some even have this written in (bad) English on a card. If you try to hand back the rose the smaller children have even been trained to cry!! The older ones will refuse the rose and continue to press for money. Of course there is no sick sister and if you look around you will see other children of similar appearance doing the same thing and an adult lurking somewhere in the background, never doing the actual begging. They rely on the fact that once having accepted the flower you will be reluctant to upset a child. Whole families are coming from the bigger cities for the day, buying roses at 10 for 2euros and then asking for 1euro per rose. Not bad if you can get away with it. It is just another form of using children to beg and it is illegal but very hard to stop because if caught they just drop their roses and melt away. Without a complaint from the person 'robbed' the police cannot do anything. So please, be aware that this is happening and help to stamp out this form of child exploitation. Thankyou

Anni

Thanks for the advice, Anni. I have posted a copy on our roll call.

Warnemunde - turn right from your ship, along the quay, left through the underpass, straight ahead across the bridge, first right onto the street running alongside the harbour. McDonalds is about 500 yds on the left.

Rostock - in University Square, corner of Kropeliner and Breite Str, opposite the big fountain.

The only other place I know with 'hot spots' is the bookshop called Weiland, on the left between University Square and the Kropeliner Tor (big brick tower at the end of the pedestrian shopping street)

Thanks for the kind words, it is my pleasure to help others enjoy their visit to our beautiful city.

Anni

Thank you Anni...just the information I was looking for.

-- Steve

Hi Anni

We will be in Warnemuende in two weeks time, with 5 kids between 6 & 10, a teenager and assorted grown-ups.

I've cut-and-paste all your posts into one super-duper-cheat-sheet to take with. If I could trouble you with one more question, though - -

Have you had any feedback about Karl's strawberry adventure / farm playground?

(Although I have to say that the Kletterwald you suggested to the British family has really grabbed my attention. . . )

Thanks for any advice!

Hi Anni

We will be in Warnemuende in two weeks time, with 5 kids between 6 & 10, a teenager and assorted grown-ups.

I've cut-and-paste all your posts into one super-duper-cheat-sheet to take with. If I could trouble you with one more question, though - -

Have you had any feedback about Karl's strawberry adventure / farm playground?

(Although I have to say that the Kletterwald you suggested to the British family has really grabbed my attention. . . )

Thanks for any advice!

Hi, I have not had any feedback about Karl's but think the adventure part would be geared more towards the younger age group. It is not very far from Warnemunde by road but very difficult to reach by public transport.

Kletterwald is much closer, easy to reach and could be combined with time on the beach which is perfect for the smaller fry with shallow water, an adventure playground and kite flying; for the teen-agers there are beach-volleyball courts and kite-fighting demonstrations. Adults are catered for with the ever popular basket chairs and a cafe/bar right on the sand, halfway between the promenade and the sea.

Glad my posts have been of help, hope you all enjoy your visit.

Anni.

Okay, I was at Karl's for their late May strawberry festival. If you have young children this is the place! There are also a LOT of shops for adults. Since it was the strawberry fest, there were a ton of people so I don't know how it would be any other time of the year.

Kiddie Rides: a little train ride, some really cool trampoline type jumpy things, a great slide that you ride down on potato sacks, a HUGH strandkorp, feed the goats, and cars or tractors that kids can 'drive'.

We (3 adult females) managed to spend about 3 hours there just looking at all the different product they have. We were also collecting tickets for a cruise raffle so that used up some time. If you have children and are renting a car its a great place to visit. There is NO entrance admission but some of the rides do cost.

Anni

Hi Anni,

I don´t know if you are familiar with using the free internet by McDonald in Germany?

I love using McDo in the US, Russia, Holland and elsewhere, where I don´t need a password!

It´s different in Germany, where a german mobile number is necessary to get your password sent for one hour of free internet.

Peter

Edited by Kruizefan

Anni, just wanted you to know that we loved visiting Warnemunde and Rostock on our recent cruise. What wonderful places. We especially enjoyed the beach at Warnemunde, very few Americans went there, but many locals enjoying a nice sunny day.