Oosterdam Review

nanatangie

My review of last week's cruise got posted today in the Member Review section. I would re-post it here, but don't know how to do it. I''m happy to answer any questions. I appreciate all the information I got before the cruise from all the folks on CC. Thanks everyone.

My review of last week's cruise got posted today in the Member Review section. I would re-post it here, but don't know how to do it. I''m happy to answer any questions. I appreciate all the information I got before the cruise from all the folks on CC. Thanks everyone.

Glad you enjoyed the "O"! Did you happen to notice if the aft adult spas were working on this cruise?

Thanks,

Here is the body of your review...

Member Name: nanatangie

Cruise Date: December 2010

Embarkation: San Diego

Destination: Mexican Riviera

Cabin Category: VA

Cabin Number: 7032

Booking Method: Cruise Line

Oosterdam, December 4, 2010, Mexican Riviera

Observations and opinions.

The Oosterdam is a perfect size. 3 laps around the promenade deck equaled one mile. Walking on this teak deck was a joy.

The ship is in generally good condition, very clean with lovely lounges, bars, coffee shop, theater,and main dining room. The Lido pool deck area seemed in need of some updating and the red carpet on the spiral staircase in the Atrium needs to be replaced immediately, but overall the ship is lovely.

My husband and I loved our verandah cabin. It was small, a little worn, but very efficiently laid out with good storage and a fantastically comfortable bed and of course the fabulous verandah. I had booked a VH guarantee with HAL, so was quite pleased with the location we were assigned, Deck 7, #7032.

I thought the food was mostly very good, though opinions really varied about this among the passengers we met. Some thought it was very average to awful!

We enjoyed the shows in the Vista Lounge. The lead singers of the production shows ( there were 3 of these shows,) a young married couple were amazingly good and the dancers were excellent. The sound system at times was too loud for me and I heard others also complain about this.

My husband and I like to dance, ballroom and West Coast swing, and were able to do so every evening we wanted to in the Neptune Lounge. There were other couples who knew how to dance so we were not alone on the dance floor.

The service workers work so hard and were usually gracious and friendly. At times there did not seem to be adequate staffing in the MDR and service was slow. I recommend making reservations for the As You Wish Dining if you don't want to wait for a table.

There were rough seas from the time we left Cabo San Lucas on Thursday evening until we docked in San Diego Saturday morning. The ship was rocking and rolling. I did not like this constant motion. Luckily neither my husband nor I got seasick but we heard of others who did.

Despite rough seas, a little worn carpeting etc., we had a wonderful time and appreciate how very fortunate we were to be able to spend a week on the MS Oosterdam!!!

My husband and I like to dance, ballroom and West Coast swing, and were able to do so every evening we wanted to in the Neptune Lounge. There were other couples who knew how to dance so we were not alone on the dance floor.

Are you sure it was the Neptune Lounge -- never had dancing on any of the ships I was on -- it closed at 8 pm or so every night

Ocean Bar for dancing, not Neptune Lounge. I was thinking Ocean Bar, but calling it Neptune Lounge. Thanks for the correction.

Not a correction, I was confused. Was thinking they'd added something to the Neptune Lounge.

I like the Neptunes as well, we go to the Ocean Bar for a cocktail before dinner and listen to them and watch folks dancing.

As an aside -- I was on the Noordam a couple of years ago and could always tell what time it was because the playlist for the Neptunes was the same order every night -- so if it's 'song name' it's time to leave for dinner. :D

Just got back from OO Mexican Riviera. One aft hot tub was working .. the other was not. No one appeared to be servicing it. I only saw adults in the aft pool and spa. It wasn't crowded. The family midship pool and spa were quite busy. The midship pool was empty and they were scrubbing it on the day we left (Dec 18th)

Just got back from OO Mexican Riviera. One aft hot tub was working .. the other was not. No one appeared to be servicing it. I only saw adults in the aft pool and spa. It wasn't crowded. The family midship pool and spa were quite busy. The midship pool was empty and they were scrubbing it on the day we left (Dec 18th)

Thanks for the update!!!

Archived