End of summer crowds in Barcelona

twoontheisle

We try to avoid crowds in major cities and if possible book our vacations when the majority of children are back in school. Having never been to Barcelona we want to spend 3-4 days prior (or post) to our August 28th 2011 cruise. Would there be a significant difference between August 25th or September 4th to spend those days? When is the "holiday month" over? Maybe the hotel rates might be a little better in September? I doubt that they have a "Labor Day" but possibly an end of summer which they typically observe? Pros and cons would be appreciated!

They do have a Labo(u)r Day and Barcelona takes it quite seriously. Of course, it is the "real" Labor Day -- May 1. :)

I agree with the above post .. You are unlikely to see much difference in hotel rates between early Sept and late Aug.

I tend to to travel during the off-season. For Barcelona, that means October at the earliest, I think.

IF you are asking when children in Barcelona will be back in school then August is the typical European vacation month.

Children in local schools are back in class by the end of the first week of September.

I don't know how many days you are cruising??

I believe that September 11 is a somber national holiday commemorating the fall of Catalonia to Spain.

Other than that I am not aware of anything that would affect your visit except perhaps a large convention in the city.

I was there in late November of this year and there were still mobs of people everywhere, especially around Placa Catalunya and Las Ramblas.

If you are like me and don't like crowds I would choose a hotel away from those places. I highly recommend Hotel Europark on Aragó street, which is closer to Sagrada Familia and in a quieter, clean and nicer neighborhood.

We had been to Barcelona several times, and visited there again as a port stop in mid-September on a Med cruise. We were there on a Saturday, and were both completely astounded at how many people were out and about-we lived in the New York City area and it reminded us of Times Square. If you are there on a saturday and don't like big crowds, that might be a good day to plan an excursion out of the city!!

I was there in late November of this year and there were still mobs of people everywhere, especially around Placa Catalunya and Las Ramblas.

Ditto!!!!!

We have been there 3 times at the same time of year. It is a very popular city for Europeans to visit...lots of Brits. They get very inexpesive fares.

Thank you all for your input. We are going to start off with 4 days in the south of France before the cruise to adjust ourselves to the jet lag and get into full vacation mode. Then we will do the Barcelona portion after the cruise in September.

Archived