18 Months old too young for cruising?

jimtheperson

We are planning a 3-generation cruise for the holiday season next year. Our son will be 18 months old then, anyone have experience cruising with kids that age? Is there anything fun for them or is everything geared to older kids?

We are also concerned about sleeping arrangements and want to be able to put him to bed while we sit in a nearby room or something. If certain cruise lines are known for having a good answer for this, we would love to hear that. We are leaning Royal Carribean, but have not done much research yet, it is really overwhelming to pick a cruise line and none of us have done it before.

At 18 mos., your son probably won't remember any of it...on most lines, you'll be the one responsible for your son's "fun"....just do whatever you'd do at home to "entertain" him! Sounds like you'll have some extra hands to help, so that will be great!

Most ships have connecting rooms....if you can get a connecting cabin with someone else in your party, you can hang in their cabin while your son is sleeping in the other....that would be the best way. I'd also try for a cabin with a balcony, as that will give you someplace "to be" while baby is sleeping or napping, without actually having to sit in the cabin. Baby monitors don't work too well on a ship (all the metal!), so I wouldn't plan on leaving him in the room and going too far!!

Some of RCI's ships have facilities for the "under 3" crowd...and most will have in cabin babysitting...that might be nice for an evening out.

Whatever you decide, you'll have a great time. Sure, it won't be like a "romantic getaway", but it's not....it's a "family" vacation! A great time will be had by all!

There is virtually nothing for a baby or toddler to do on a cruise and parents would be anchored to their small cabin more than they would like. Wouldn't a condo or hotel at a resort with a kiddie pool make more sense? We didn't take our kids on a cruise until our youngest was seven and we were able to enjoy excursions with them.

There really isn't anything for babies are very small children. We never brought our kids till they were at least 2.5 because thats the earliest age for Carnivals kids program. The rest of the lines are usually 3 years and have to be toilet trained. Although you see a fair amount of babies on the ships, I wouldn't go through the hassle until they were a little older..

We have cruised with grandkids under 2. It was a family vacation, no doubt. My daughter did take a "Fulltime Nanny", which was our other daughter. It worked out well, but an additional expense. You might be able to get an in cabin sitter.

On my family cruise last year, I had one niece who was 18 months. At night, I think my DB and SIL took turns watching her while the other went to shows. I do remember they had an issue with the shore excursions in the Dominican Republic. We all wanted to go to Cayo Levantado, but they didn't allow babies on the tour. So we all went to the beach and my SIL took the baby on a group tour to Samana.

My nephew has sailed with us twice so far, once at 12 and then 20 months old, and we have had a fabulous time. He was fine on the shore excursions too, he enjoyed sailing and the two beach days. Some longer excursions he stayed onboard with his parents. There is a lot to explore on the ship which he seems to really enjoy. He's going on his next cruise soon too! Whether he remembers or not matters not to us. It's a "family vacation" and he is included! I LOVE being with him all those days too.

First of all, you never, ever want to leave a child in a cabin, even if you're just a "few cabins away". In an emergency, the fire doors close and lock, and you will not be able to get to your child, even if it is only a few cabins away. The recent emergency on Splendor indicates that you never leave a child of any age alone in a cabin, for any reason whatsoever. Baby monitors do not work on ships because of interference. And, you probably don't realize this but, anyone with a passkey can get into your cabin at any time. Another reason for not leaving a child alone in a cabin.

Most tours have a minimum age for participation, so you might be restricted as to what you can do on shore excursions.

There are no activities for infants on cruise lines. Some do have a 45 minute play time, but the parents must be with the child for that time. Kid's clubs begin at either age 2 or 3, but nothing before that. Royal Caribbean has in cabin sitting, for $10 a hour.

Disney cruise line has a special nursery for kids under 3...for an hourly fee. IMHO that's better than having a sitter with the baby in the cabin. This way he'll have a nice environment to play in with other kids his age and DCL is used to dealing with really little ones.

We haven't been on DCL, but we've heard great things.

First of all, you never, ever want to leave a child in a cabin, even if you're just a "few cabins away". In an emergency, the fire doors close and lock, and you will not be able to get to your child, even if it is only a few cabins away. The recent emergency on Splendor indicates that you never leave a child of any age alone in a cabin, for any reason whatsoever. Baby monitors do not work on ships because of interference. And, you probably don't realize this but, anyone with a passkey can get into your cabin at any time. Another reason for not leaving a child alone in a cabin.

Most tours have a minimum age for participation, so you might be restricted as to what you can do on shore excursions.

There are no activities for infants on cruise lines. Some do have a 45 minute play time, but the parents must be with the child for that time. Kid's clubs begin at either age 2 or 3, but nothing before that. Royal Caribbean has in cabin sitting, for $10 a hour.

Although we agree that very young children should not be left alone, the comment about fire doors is just not correct. In fact, it is a violation of SOLAS to have the fire doors lock. They are heavy, they can be difficult to open, but they do open and are never locked.

Hank

We are planning a 3-generation cruise for the holiday season next year. Our son will be 18 months old then, anyone have experience cruising with kids that age? Is there anything fun for them or is everything geared to older kids?

We are also concerned about sleeping arrangements and want to be able to put him to bed while we sit in a nearby room or something. If certain cruise lines are known for having a good answer for this, we would love to hear that. We are leaning Royal Carribean, but have not done much research yet, it is really overwhelming to pick a cruise line and none of us have done it before.

We have an 18 month grandson and I can't imagine cruising with him. I think he would make us all miserable. Some will say "take the grandparents, etc., along" but as a grandparent...I wouldn't want that chore at 18 months even though I babysit him six days a week. I would definitely wait awhile longer until he has matured a little more and is potty trained, etc. I love him dearly but wouldn't want to cruise with him yet.

I just returned form a cruise with my 12 month old son. He had a great time on the cruise. We went on the trip knowing he would not be able to use the kids club and that meant we would have to watch him the entire time. We did get a balconyt room so that we had a place to sit and relax while he slept. As far as activities, he loved sitting on the balcony while we were in port watching boats and other people. During the day he would dance at the different musical performances or we would take him to an empty club so he could run around on the dance floor. He also enjoyed time at the pool. We had brought a small inflatable tub to use on deck so he could splash around. Some ships do have splash zones for infants, but the pools are off limits if not potty trained. Our son is eating table foods so there was always food he could eat at the buffett or at the restaurants. He also enjoyed the shows at night, and we were prepared to leave at any time if he got cranky. A cruise with an infant can be great as long as you go in with the correct mindset and are prepared. I do recomend the family board as there is a wealth off knowledge to make cruising with an infant a great experience.

I think it depends on the kid. My son would have had a great time at 18 months no matter where we took him. My daughter was bonded to my thigh and scared of almost everyone and everything at that age.

An outgoing kid will have a great time. A really shy, timid kid will make your whole week misery. Just prepare yourself ahead of time for a different style of vacation and don't expect anyone else to babysit for you...unless they offer. Even then, don't stay away too long and remember this is their vacation too.

I do have to disagree with the remarks about not vacationing with a young child even though they won't remember it. You will remember it, the other relatives will remember it, you will have photos to share with them when they are older. I don't think you need to stay home and avoid a multigenerational trip simply because your child is young.

I think it totally depends on the child. I have a 20 month old grandson and there is nooooo way I would cruise with him.. He is at the stage where he wants to run as fast as he can in the opposite direction. I could see myself and the rest of the family spending 7 days and nights chasing him all over the ship. But, I had young children who were very mellow at that age and would have been fine. Different kids will behave differently. It really depends on your grandchild and only know what kind of personallity he/she has.

Have a great cruise with your family:D

Kris

Archived