Have you ever taken a picture that didn't give justice?

Have you ever taken a picture and the picture just isn't as you see it. I took a picture of our stateroom last month. It was my DH b-day and I decorated the room. Let's just say, I wish I would have had a picture of our room stewards face when he opened the door. He was speechless, mouth dropped open, eyes as big as golf balls. When he was able to speak, he said he's never seen anything like this in his whole life! When I had the door open, people looked in and were calling other passengers to see our room. Anyway, I took pictures for us to have and not one really captured the scene. I took every angle possible. Even DH said the pictures don't give it justice.

Have you ever taken a picture, and just couldn't capture the scene?

If you took enough pics from enough angles, you might try to stitch them together into a 3D environment using Photosynth. I did that with our stateroom on Liberty of the Seas last June:

http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=8411d1d7-4f64-4bc5-b1c6-d5e157f5b348

It didn't work as well as I hoped that it might, but short of a fisheye lens, it's one of the few ways to capture a stateroom from multiple angles. More examples and info on how to create one here:

http://photosynth.net/default.aspx

Have you ever taken a picture, and just couldn't capture the scene?

Who hasn't??:(

I did take a little sweep panorama with the Sony HX5V that actually came out better than I expected:

p493126417-5.jpg

We had a much better room on the next trip and the pics just weren't web-worthy.

Dave

All the time. However, in your case, a wide angle lens might have helped. I assume that you were using a P&S and they do not have the ability to take wide angle pictures.

I wonder if one of the ship photographers might have come up and taken some pictures if you had asked and maybe slipped him a tip.

DON

All the time. However, in your case, a wide angle lens might have helped. I assume that you were using a P&S and they do not have the ability to take wide angle pictures.

I wonder if one of the ship photographers might have come up and taken some pictures if you had asked and maybe slipped him a tip.

DON

What a fantastic idea!!! I wish I would have thought of it then, but DH will be celebrating his 60th in 2011, so I will use it then.

And to make matters worse, it was a P&S, and it did have a wide angle, but I never used it. :( Live and learn.

Tell you what...I'm a perfect photographer and always capture a perfect shot - so you all tell me exactly what ship you were on and what route, pay for me to go on that same cruise, and I'll get whatever photo it was you missed, and send it to you after. All you have to do is pick up the tab and send me all over the world. ;)

(if you believe that, I've got some swampland in Arkansas to sell you, and a nice genuine Rolex for $50. But I'll still go on the cruise on your tab, and promise to try really hard to get a good shot for you!).

• 3 weeks later...
Tell you what...I'm a perfect photographer and always capture a perfect shot - so you all tell me exactly what ship you were on and what route, pay for me to go on that same cruise, and I'll get whatever photo it was you missed, and send it to you after. All you have to do is pick up the tab and send me all over the world. ;)

(if you believe that, I've got some swampland in Arkansas to sell you, and a nice genuine Rolex for $50. But I'll still go on the cruise on your tab, and promise to try really hard to get a good shot for you!).

I taught Justin everything he knows, so really you ought to have me go take the pics!:D

• 1 month later...

With digital cameras, you should just plan on taking a lot of photos. Probably 75% of the photos I take I don't like. And sometimes, a photo will capture something you didn't see through the viewfinder.

I think the most common problem is lighting. And I think even in daylight, a (fill) flash is under used by many photographers. It all comes down to experimenting.

Taking extra photos tended to get expensive in film, but digital cameras it should be common practice.

Archived