Paying for a room upgrade.

If I want to switch from an inside cabin to a balcony cabin, what is the process? I booked online. Would I have to cancel my current reservation and re-book? Would I have to call them? It's probably a stupid question but we have more money than expected right now and we're interested in trying to upgrade. I'm not sure how the process works, especially with 38 days to go. I don't think it would be too difficult since we'd be handing them more $$. ;) Advice?

Just give RCCL a call, they will be more than happy to change your cabin and take more money from you. There isn't any type of fee besides the fare difference for making the change.

OP said they booked online, but could be a TA site or direct??

OP its too close to cruise to cancel .. dont do that. Call the agency you booked with, whomever that was and you would just pay the difference between what you paid and the going rate for the cabin you now want.

OP said they booked online, but could be a TA site or direct??

OP its too close to cruise to cancel .. dont do that. Call the agency you booked with, whomever that was and you would just pay the difference between what you paid and the going rate for the cabin you now want.

I originally booked online, directly through RC's site. I called them after I posted this. It was waaayyy to easy to give them more money. ;) However, we have an aft balcony room (I verified with the RC rep and via Google that our cabin doesn't have an obstructed view, which I've read can easily happen with aft cabins) I am really excited about our new cabin!

Some people refer to the structural cross beams aft as "obstructions". These are visable from every aft balcony, but you quickly adjust to seeing the beautiful wake view from your very large balcony! Take the highest deck balcony that you can get. There are fewer beams the higher you are.

For our upcoming Monarch cruise DH and I originally booked an inside. We generally prefer a balcony stateroom, but we did have an inside for our 4-night Fantasy cruise and really didn't mind it so decided to go for an inside this time, since it is only a 4-night cruise as well. After a few weeks, and thinking how I was really going to miss a balcony....on a whim I decided to call RCI and see how much extra it would cost for an outside (no balcony, just the window) and it was only $104 so I went ahead and upgraded. They were more than happy to take more $$ from me. :) We are on the same deck as before, just a bit further down the hall.

For our upcoming Monarch cruise DH and I originally booked an inside. We generally prefer a balcony stateroom, but we did have an inside for our 4-night Fantasy cruise and really didn't mind it so decided to go for an inside this time, since it is only a 4-night cruise as well. After a few weeks, and thinking how I was really going to miss a balcony....on a whim I decided to call RCI and see how much extra it would cost for an outside (no balcony, just the window) and it was only $104 so I went ahead and upgraded. They were more than happy to take more $$ from me. :) We are on the same deck as before, just a bit further down the hall.

Was that $104 total or for each of you and per night?? Sounds tempting -- I have an inside booked for my Feb Explorer cruise.

I originally booked online, directly through RC's site. I called them after I posted this. It was waaayyy to easy to give them more money. ;) However, we have an aft balcony room (I verified with the RC rep and via Google that our cabin doesn't have an obstructed view, which I've read can easily happen with aft cabins) I am really excited about our new cabin!
Had an Inside on my mariner Holyland and a hump balcony on the 2nd leg of a B2B. Saw that the same hump cabin was now available for the Holyland leg, called RCI and the cabin was upgraded in a minuet or two.

You will be so much happier in an OV than an inside. I've cruised on Monarch a number of times, a couple insides, more than a few OV's and the last two cruises on her were the superior OV's.

It doesn't sound like much, the OV's are 3 square feet larger, but it makes a big difference. There is more storage space and a tiny bit more floor space. Only...you still need to have the beds seperated to have any floor space at all. When the beds are together, one of us would have to either sit on the bed or be in the bathroom for the other to be getting dressed. A superior OV has a lot more space than the regular OV, so if you have the opportunity to upgrade even more, go for it.

I'm not a believer in "you're only in your cabin to sleep and change" like many people say. Even if you're in there only for that, the time is critical and you can become quite annoyed at having to climb over each other, knock into each other and feel claustrophobic while in your cabin. We love each other dearly, but get out of the way!!!

Archived