New NLC Policy effective today, 01-01-11

luv2cruise1958

I can't imagine canceling a cruise....never mind paying a penalty to do so....:D

It is not so hard to imagine. My Mom was diagnosed with aggressive small cell lung cancer two weeks before a cruise (she died two weeks later). No way we could go on a cruise under those circumstances. Fortunately, I had trip insurance.

Further, I cannot see how this policy will drive up insurance. More people may decide to buy the insurance, which should produce more profits to the insurance company.

Also, NCL's policy really affects those persons that cancel when their reasons for cancellation do not give them a valid claim on their trip insurance.

From the article:

Under the new policy, effective Jan. 1, NCL will charge the passenger 100% of the cost of the cruise if they cancel 14 days prior to sailing, rather than the current seven.

I thought it was further out than that anyways. No big deal.

I can't imagine canceling a cruise....never mind paying a penalty to do so....:D

I can't either, but I had to when I tore the meniscus in one of my knees and had to have surgery a week before we were supposed to be on a cruise. Thank goodness for travel insurance.

Few people "imagine" cancelling a trip, but stuff happens.

It is not so hard to imagine. My Mom was diagnosed with aggressive small cell lung cancer two weeks before a cruise (she died two weeks later). No way we could go on a cruise under those circumstances. Fortunately, I had trip insurance./quote]

We came very close to needing to cancel our cruise in Nov. just two weeks before the cruise. My mom suddenly became very ill and it appeared she would die during the cruise. I notified our TA and got things with the insurance going. I guess my mom was watching out for us until the end and died a week before the cruise. With other family nearby to handle affairs, we cruised the next week anyhow. However, I was thankful we had the trip insurance available if it had been needed.

Ummmm.... so here is question.

Should NCL offer a refund to any passenger included on a booking where one person in the group passes away without purchasing insurance? I understand the need for insurance in respect to weather etc, but not the death of a traveling companion.

Do you think this type of offer should be extended by any and all cruise lines?

Ummmm.... so here is question.

Should NCL offer a refund to any passenger included on a booking where one person in the group passes away without purchasing insurance? I understand the need for insurance in respect to weather etc, but not the death of a traveling companion.

Do you think this type of offer should be extended by any and all cruise lines?

That is a litte complicated, I am not sure any of us can answer. It would depend totally on the situation and the type of group.. If you are talking about a close family member, whethe they had insurance or not shouldn't be an issue, if the other guests did, yes, a refund seems appropriate. If you are talking about a group for an organiazation or something, that would be a different story.

Nita

It is not so hard to imagine. My Mom was diagnosed with aggressive small cell lung cancer two weeks before a cruise (she died two weeks later). No way we could go on a cruise under those circumstances. Fortunately, I had trip insurance.

Further, I cannot see how this policy will drive up insurance. More people may decide to buy the insurance, which should produce more profits to the insurance company.

Also, NCL's policy really affects those persons that cancel when their reasons for cancellation do not give them a valid claim on their trip insurance.

We had friends with a similar situation to you mom last spring. They were also good clients. She was diagnosed with lung cancer about 2 weeks prior to sailing, the entire family was going on the cruise as a 50th anniversary celebration. She did live about 3 months, but they, of course, cancelled the cruise. Because they had insurance they got back every penny.

Now, to the poster, the news about the policy changes isn't new to many of us. It has been discussed for the past 3 or 4 months.

Nita

Archived