Canadians treated differently on "X"???? Any Canuck ever get an "upgrade" A real one?

A Sixth?

As Canadians, we are constantly being downgraded from being able to consume Canadian beer to having to endure American beer. Always end up having to pay extra to get an upgrade to Heineken, a compromise at least.

We are Canadian and we prefer Stella, Corona haha! over Canadian beer! But I know what you are saying! at least they have Crown Royal

but anyway as far as upgrades, we have over 22 points on Celebrity and have never had an upgrade even on the cruise we were the top cruisers this Past July on the Equinox. We have never booked below Concierge Class so I assume it makes it more difficult to upgrade us? We have booked recently Aqua class or Sky suites.

We have been given many extras in the room and free specialty dinners, Invited for private "officers hang out" section in the Lounges and bars etc but I think thats because of a close relationship we have made with a Hotel Director, and he lets other HD's on ship know when we are coming. As much as we would love an upgrade we would rather get the special treatment we have been given on countless sailing's.

Hi,

I ALWAYS book in USD....Never did I ever see a price display where the CAD was priced favourably and realistically VS the USD.

Cheers

We book in CDN mostly and if the price gets much different Customer service will fix it! right now our current rate in CND on the Eclipse is much more favorable then if we had booked in USD

I'm very curious of your statement here. How exactly were you "roughed up" by US customs and TSA? And for what reasons?

Coming back from Puerto Vallarta two years ago, and going through US Customs in Dallas/Fort Worth, my wife remembered that she had an apple in her suit case. They directed her to another line and I proceeded to go forward and not follow here. As head of household, I was supposed to stay with her. Rather than ask me politely to go with my wife which I should have done anyway, the agent started yelling at me, making quite a scene.

More than once, TSA has held me up for quite a long time because of a small emergency air tank that I use for scuba diving that I always tell them about. Its called a spare air and I have a letter from TSA acknowledging that it can be transported with my luggage on a plane as long as the valve is out. Usually they don't believe the letter and I have to spend time explaining to them what it is.

Don't mind submitting to a "full body scan" but if they want to pat me down, prefer an attractive TSA female agent do so.

So far, I have never ever met a Canadian, (or Brit or Aussie for that matter), who has received an upgrade on Celebrity. At least not yet.

Let's hear it from everyone who has been given a "real" upgrade. Any Fur-iners? :confused:

Yes. :D Our first on a short cruise after celebrating our 50th cruise.

as canadians, we are constantly being downgraded from being able to consume canadian beer to having to endure american beer. Always end up having to pay extra to get an upgrade to heineken, a compromise at least.

:) !!!

We are still waiting to be upgraded by the Celebrity upgrade fairy after 20 cruises. And waiting.............and waiting...........and waiting.

I also do not consider booking a guarantee and then being upgraded an official 'upgrade' - although more power to anyone who gets bumped up that way!:)

Booked a cabin on Mercury under a galley before we knew how to select cabins. We couldn't sleep with the noise all night and complained. We were upgraded 4 categories to a lovely cabin on the front of the ship. Since then, nothing. Does getting invited to the Captain's table count for an upgrade in the MDR?:D

We buy in USD also. In fact we're so close to the border, we shop in the US all the time and we're almost Americans anyway, eh?

Great thread.

Here is our record of upgrades. Each time we booked the lowest balcony guarentee . Princess Lines booked 8 times , received an upgrade 8 times, twice to a mini suite and the other 6 to balcony cabines in the centre of the ship. Better with Holland America, we booked 8 times and received 8 upgrades. Once to a full suite to Hawaii and the remainder at least a 5 catergory upgrade. It is a running joke with our TA and our friends tell us to buy lottery tickets. Thanks for this thread, we our thinking of booking on Celebrity next. Now that we know the reason for the upgrades, we will ensure they know that we are from Canada.

we are americans and have been on about 12 celebrity cruises and have never received an upgrade of any kind, except the 1 catagory upgrade inside to inside and outside to outside. we don't expect anything we didn't pay for.

We don't expect anything we don't pay for.

Now there's a concept.

I agree we have only had one upgrade when we first started cruising it was with Carnival. OV to a minisuite, hooked. I have been paying in USD for years as I work in Upstate NY and I saw that we as Canadians we're paying upwards of $200-400pp more. And as stated we're above par to the USD and still paying more???? Also not just the upgrades but they have Regional Sales, Snow Sales etc. that we as Canadians are never offered. There was a regional sale prior to my final payment that was not offered to us. I met people on our first X cruise last year that with regional sales had OBC of $400-800 due to price drops after final payment. It was cheaper for them to cruise then to stay at home, their exact words.

Great thread:)

Archived