Don't Phone Home From the Virgin Islands or PR on Verizon Wireless

There was just an article in our paper the other day about some of the "international" surprise charges that folks get on their phone. One lady got a $3,300.00 bill after adding on the international plan while doing volunteer work in Haiti after the earthquake....she thought the "add-on" would cover calls to the states, but it only covered texts....

Then there was some computer wizard (Gates??? Someone else??? I can't remember the name) who got surprise charges while in Germany......

The bad thing is that the phone company doesn't even know what's covered and what's not, when you call to inquire!

when using Verizon Wireless, you must do *228 and option 2 before you leave home. This updates your roaming.

I actually called VW today to double check when I have to do it for my cruise on 1/15 and the rates for St. Thomas are $1.99/minute for calling, but texting was whatever plan you have (which for me is unlimited) so I can text from St. Thomas for free. St. Maarten & Bahamas are $1.99/minute and then 50 cents to send a text and 5 cents to receive one.

But I think that's dependent on your setting up your phone ahead of time. He said once you're aboard the ship, it's too late. Ship rates are $2.49/minute and 50 cents to send and 5 cents to receive texts.

also if you have a smartphone, be sure to turn your data plan off so that it doesn't search for emails, etc. That costs money even if you don't check the email because it does a "push" and looks for the email using the data plan.

• 3 weeks later...
I don't recall being hit with huge charges on my Eastern Caribbean cruise, for phoning from St. Thomas or PR. I made sure I was well away from the ship before calling. I have Verizon too.

My understanding is...Once the ship is at Dock...they shut off their Satellite phone service. So your phone won't connect to their service. It turns back on once they push away from the dock. That's what I was told...but don't quote me.

Archived