Best Way to KILL Time Before boarding in MIA?

Hello ALL!

I have a few questions, and any help would be greatly appreciated! My hubby and i are sailing majesty of the seas to the bahamas from MIA in Feb. our flight is set to arrive at 10am, so a few things:

What time can we really REALLY get on the ship to those of you know who know the deal?

do you recomend getting a rental car before hand to lunch/sightsee or anything else you would suggest? which rental car companies offer shuttles to the port? Thank you all!

It will take you time to get your luggage, a taxi and drive to the port. By that time, around 11 you should be able to start the process of getting on the ship.

I've always liked getting on the ship early, you get lunch that you've already paid for and the ship is empty for taking pictures, roaming around, etc.

thanks for the info. i was thinking i would have to "kill time" because i wouldn't be able to board the ship until the afternoon, but i know now that's not the case.

if i arranged for transportation to the port through RC, does it take us there immediately after we land, or do we have to wait for other cruisers?

Hello ALL!

I have a few questions, and any help would be greatly appreciated! My hubby and i are sailing majesty of the seas to the bahamas from MIA in Feb. our flight is set to arrive at 10am, so a few things:

What time can we really REALLY get on the ship to those of you know who know the deal?

do you recomend getting a rental car before hand to lunch/sightsee or anything else you would suggest? which rental car companies offer shuttles to the port? Thank you all!

Just go straight to the port. Boarding starts at 11, so by the time you get off the plane, get your bags, get to the port and check in, it will be about time to board.

You will have to wait for the RCI shuttle to fill.....a cab will cost $24 and take you straight there. That's the best option..and fastest! If your plane LANDS at 10am, by the time you get off, get to baggage claim, get your bags, it will probably already be 11 or later! Without checked bags, you should hit the taxi stand by 10 :30 and be at the ship by 11!

When leaving the ship and heading back to the airport, there will be TONS of cabs lined up and waiting...same price going back.

I would skip the RC shuttle...you will get to the ship MUCH faster on your own...and probably cheaper too! If you have already paid for the transfer's can you cancel them & get your money back? With no baggage to retrieve you will be in a cab & on your way in no time! Have a great cruise...Majesty is a great ship!

You will have to wait for the RCI shuttle to fill.....a cab will cost $24 and take you straight there. That's the best option..and fastest! If your plane LANDS at 10am, by the time you get off, get to baggage claim, get your bags, it will probably already be 11 or later! Without checked bags, you should hit the taxi stand by 10 :30 and be at the ship by 11!

When leaving the ship and heading back to the airport, there will be TONS of cabs lined up and waiting...same price going back.

Ditto - cab is cheap and quick, no waiting for the RC bus to fill before leaving the airport!

Well it's kind of a moot point since you said you'll be heading right to the port (which would be my suggestion anyway) but...

I would definitely NOT recommend getting a rental car and driving around Miami if you don't have to. Miami is notorious for bad drivers and bad accidents. It's even worse in the winter with the snow birds and tourists, in addition to the usual bad drivers.

My friend's car was totaled two weeks ago when she got in accident with a tourist (yes it was a confirmed tourist, during the accident investigation). I've avoided FOUR accidents by swerving and/or honking in the last two weeks alone. Do they not teach "check your blind side before you change lanes" anymore? :confused:

I LOVE living in South Florida and wouldn't want to live anywhere else. One of the very few things I dislike about this place though...the drivers are God awful!

So yes...head right to the port!!

WOW! thank you all, quite the informative thread for me :)

so i canceled my transfer to the airport when we disembark, and now i have a $31 credit on my cruise...hmm, i wonder if they'll credit my card automatically?

You should see the credit back on your card in a few days...

What airport are you flying into? If it is FLL you can use SAS to get to the port and back to FLL for $15.00 per person each way.

I have rented a car from FLL and left it near the Port of Miami with a free shuttle ride using Hertz. We normally fly in a day or so early, so flying in on departure day, I wouldn't rent a car either.

Enjoy your cruise.

Hello ALL!

Get yourself to the port as soon as you land. Anytime we stayed at a downtown hotel in Miami we left for the port at 10:15AM. This allowed us to be among the first to board thus staying away from the crowds that show up after lunch. We always get on the ship well before noon and can have a nice leisurely lunch before the buffet gets packed. Then you can relax poolside, have a couple drinks and walk around touring the ship before your room is ready.

What airport are you flying into? If it is FLL you can use SAS to get to the port and back to FLL for $15.00 per person each way.

I have rented a car from FLL and left it near the Port of Miami with a free shuttle ride using Hertz. We normally fly in a day or so early, so flying in on departure day, I wouldn't rent a car either.

Enjoy your cruise.

we're flying into MIA. thanks for the tip

Take a taxi and head to the ship. On our first cruise, I played by the rules that the cruiseline spelled out in their documentation. We spent hours hanging around the FLL airport after we landed because we didn't have anything else to do and we weren't close to the 1 p.m. check-in- time/ I learned my lesson after that.

btw....if you aren't checking luggage, are you doing a carryon? Just checking, because you won't be able to take those bags to the room till 1 pm. You can hit the buffet, but will have to tote your bags. If I were you, I'd just take the things that I neede for the day (maybe shorts, etc) and let the guys take your luggage to the room so you don't have to lug it around.

An additional tip, make sure you have travel insurance.

You already know to go straight to the port, and they will be serving lunch onboard as soon as you embark. That's all great!

But what if your flight is many hours delayed due to bad weather? It can, and does, happen. You could miss the ship. Seriously.

Insurance in February for a same-day fly-in is a must for me. :)

btw....if you aren't checking luggage, are you doing a carryon? Just checking, because you won't be able to take those bags to the room till 1 pm. You can hit the buffet, but will have to tote your bags. If I were you, I'd just take the things that I neede for the day (maybe shorts, etc) and let the guys take your luggage to the room so you don't have to lug it around.

so wait...our rooms won't be ready until 1pm, but we can get on the ship at 11? is that the deal?

An additional tip, make sure you have travel insurance.

You already know to go straight to the port, and they will be serving lunch onboard as soon as you embark. That's all great!

But what if your flight is many hours delayed due to bad weather? It can, and does, happen. You could miss the ship. Seriously.

Insurance in February for a same-day fly-in is a must for me. :)

i've never done travel insurance. how much does it cost typically? we went on a cruise in february a while ago, and were fine, but if you have more info that would be great, thanks.

so wait...our rooms won't be ready until 1pm, but we can get on the ship at 11? is that the deal?

Yes, that is correct. You can go ahead and eat lunch, jump in the pools or hot tubs (just bring your suit along) and wal around and enjoy the ship.

Archived