Possible food poisoning

Just got a call from RCCL advising us that boarding has been moved to 6 PM tomorrow (Jan. 08) so they can give the ship a good cleaning. Been on lots of cruises and this is the first sick ship so we can count our blessings and just know our luck finally ran out.

Now the question is what do we do with outselves while waiting as we had a schedule in place for the 10 of us. With our life experiences we have learned to be patient. Rather have a clean ship and just hope others don't bring this onboard this ship this week.

With the CDC report, it is also important to remember that some of those that reported feeling ill may not have had Noro. It could have been sea sickness or any number of other issues. It isn't uncommon for a few dozen people to report "feeling ill" during a cruise. I think if it *had* been 500 like the previous poster stated, they would be doing more than delaying boarding by 5 hours.

With the CDC report, it is also important to remember that some of those that reported feeling ill may not have had Noro. It could have been sea sickness or any number of other issues. It isn't uncommon for a few dozen people to report "feeling ill" during a cruise. I think if it *had* been 500 like the previous poster stated, they would be doing more than delaying boarding by 5 hours.

Why? The Mercury had 22% or 400+ get noro last Feb. and they did a simple scrub down. 10 % sick the following cruise and 22% the cruise after that.

Then they shortened one cruise and delayed the next to finally get it under control.

Also there are probably just as many that do not report being ill as those with different issues.

• 11 months later...

4 things come to mind to watch.

1. don't take or ask for lemon slices for your meal or drinks.

A study was done (see link below) and here are the findings. 76 lemons were tested from 21 restaurants and 70% had bacteria on them.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/23355862/ns/today-today_health/t/stop-poop-your-lemon/

2. keep your hands off the hand railings on the stairways, etc. Your just wiping your hands where the last 3,000 people have touched.

3. You go into the bathroom and afterwards you wash your hands dry them properly and then how many of us go to the door and grab the same handle that the last person (that did not wash) and open the door.

I'm a guy and it blows me away how many I see (adults and children) DO NOT wash their hands after you know what.

4. I'm not a person that get crazy about germs but you still have to be aware. In Wal-Mart they sell little anti-bacterial wipes in single packets. We like to use these when we go to restaurants to wipe the table down just as we were seated. You ever watch how restaurants wash the tables. They take a rag that has been used to clean who knows how many tables and when you look at the table it looks greasy. You can use these and just wipe it clean, works great.

I would suggest taking travel Lysol spray or anti-bacterial wipes and wiping down the door handles, phone, bathroom faucet, etc. I did this recently when we cruised. I'm sure they clean well, but it can't hurt and let's face it...the turn around time is very short for a good thorough cleaning.

Bacterial wipes are a staple in our luggage. DW wipes down almost the whole cabin on every cruise just in case.

We just got off the Radiance last month after 63 days. The 2nd cruise had Norovirus, about 200 got it. We were fine but washed with soap and water constantly and washed for a few minutes, not a quick swish either. That is the key, a long hand washing with lots of soap. Then do not touch your face.

We were served our food in the WJ, no one touched anything in there, not even pouring milk in your own coffee. It worked.

I also had wiped our cabin with Clorox wipes a few times, handles etc. [Did this the first day we entered the cabin.] Every time we entered the cabin we washed our hands well again.

The Capt. had that ship cleaned thoroughly over and over and it was controlled and then gone. They had a later embarkation on the following cruise, we were sent off on a free tour by RCL to be off the ship for the cleaning, being B2B. They again cleaned that ship thoroughly with no passengers on it and no more new cases in the following cruise.

So, for those following all should be fine. Any contaminated cabins were cleaned constantly even when the passengers were well. And again after they left the cruise. There were dots on the doors of those that had it and after they were well, so those cabins were noted to be cleaned over and over. We were very impressed with how the Radiance handled this virus.

We were on the Radiance last June. It was our very first cruise. I noticed some of the crew wore these small over the shoulder bags and very discreetly walked around with a small spray bottle and rag and constantly just gave the railings, and anything else in the main areas that was touchable a little spray, wiped and moved on. I thought to myself at the time how well they do that. What I mean is how well they don't bring attention to them selves while trying to keep the ship germ free.

:rolleyes:

That is EXACTLY what we do when we travel anywhere....spray EVERYTHING you will touch. Don't forget light swithes, drawer handles, everything. Better safe than sorry. Oh and always use a napkin when using those tongs in the windjammer. Just watch and see how many people just walk by those sanitizer machines...YUCK:eek:

We walk by the machines all the time, because 1) we always wash our hands before we go in and 2) the stuff they use is slimey, especially if your hands get wet again-it doesn't evaporate the way most does and 3) the hand sanitizer does NOTHING against Noro virus or any other virus-the alcohol works great on bacteria, but not viruses. Washing hands-the friction and the water is what helps with viruses. I spray NOTHING, wipe NOTHING, wash our hands regularly and we have never, ever gotten sick on our 10 cruises.

4 things come to mind to watch.

1. don't take or ask for lemon slices for your meal or drinks.

A study was done (see link below) and here are the findings. 76 lemons were tested from 21 restaurants and 70% had bacteria on them.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/23355862/ns/today-today_health/t/stop-poop-your-lemon/

Hm my wife loves the lemon slices... might have to mention this to her, at least to avoid them during the cruise!

3. You go into the bathroom and afterwards you wash your hands dry them properly and then how many of us go to the door and grab the same handle that the last person (that did not wash) and open the door.

I'm a guy and it blows me away how many I see (adults and children) DO NOT wash their hands after you know what.

I'm apalled when I see/hear a man come into the bathroom, clearly do his #2 in the stall and walk out of the bathroom without so much as a glance at the sink, in the meantime touching nearly ever surface I'll have to touch as well.

I have taken to touching EVERYTHING in the bathroom with paper towel ONLY, not my bare hands - door handles, faucet handles, stall locks, seats, doors, even so far as any door handle within 2 doors outside of the bathroom. People have asked me if I'm OCD or something at which point I explain to them I really don't want to be part of their bathroom experience, thank you very much, and the extra paper all over the place is the only way to avoid it.

Since starting to do that I have actually noticed I get sick MUCH less often than I used to.

I have taken to touching EVERYTHING in the bathroom with paper towel ONLY, not my bare hands - door handles, faucet handles, stall locks, seats, doors, even so far as any door handle within 2 doors outside of the bathroom. People have asked me if I'm OCD or something at which point I explain to them I really don't want to be part of their bathroom experience, thank you very much, and the extra paper all over the place is the only way to avoid it.

Since starting to do that I have actually noticed I get sick MUCH less often than I used to.

THis is definetly one topic that should be flushed but I too do the same, I try not to touch anything with hands, I also use paper towels for all surfaces.

and get the same looks. But since doing this I notice that I have not gotten sick for several years.

Now if I could jut do something about the air in the planes :eek:

I know 'airborne' is bogus but I do use it (more of mental thing), and a mask just might be going to far ....but I've considered it.

Archived