Possible food poisoning

Just received a text from friends who are on the Radiance of the Seas (yes, the same ones who had so much trouble with boarding after the late arrival this past Monday!). 4 of the 5 in their party have food poisoning (that is what she texted), and she said there are about 40-50 on the ship who are sick. Not sure if they were already diagnosed with food poisoning or if that is what she thinks it is (and it could be norovirus). Ugh...this is turning out to be the cruise from h-e-double-hockey-sticks for them. And guess what? I was the one who suggested a cruise, and specifically this cruise, to them. :(

Just received a text from friends who are on the Radiance of the Seas (yes, the same ones who had so much trouble with boarding after the late arrival this past Monday!). 4 of the 5 in their party have food poisoning (that is what she texted), and she said there are about 40-50 on the ship who are sick. Not sure if they were already diagnosed with food poisoning or if that is what she thinks it is (and it could be norovirus). Ugh...this is turning out to be the cruise from h-e-double-hockey-sticks for them. And guess what? I was the one who suggested a cruise, and specifically this cruise, to them. :(

You can't beat yourself up over it. Their experience wasn't what you experienced and they would have to know that you wouldn't recommend a lousy cruise to them.

However, considering the problems they ARE having, they may want to be more prudent in what they eat and drink. Tell her to be sure that they wash their hands frequently and use plenty of hand sanitizer.

Well, if it truly is food poisoning, there should be no doubt! They will all be on their knees "worshipping the porcelain god" for a few hours. :eek: Let's just say that when I got it (land trip to St. Lucia), texting never entered my mind!

Hopefully, they are not all sharing one cabin! YIKES!

You can't beat yourself up over it. Their experience wasn't what you experienced and they would have to know that you wouldn't recommend a lousy cruise to them.

However, considering the problems they ARE having, they may want to be more prudent in what they eat and drink. Tell her to be sure that they wash their hands frequently and use plenty of hand sanitizer.

I know, I know. I still feel terrible though. Ugh!

Well, if it truly is food poisoning, there should be no doubt! They will all be on their knees "worshipping the porcelain god" for a few hours. :eek: Let's just say that when I got it (land trip to St. Lucia), texting never entered my mind!

Hopefully, they are not all sharing one cabin! YIKES!

The one texting is the one who isn't sick! I think she is just keeping herself busy right now. Her hubby, son, and two grandsons are sick. She is sharing a cabin with her hubby...hmmm...thinking maybe she should send him next door. :p Just kidding!

Sounds more like Noro to me. I would say more than 40-50 would be sick if it was food poisoning. Noro is terrible though, I hope it is not that.

That's what I was thinking, and why I think she could be wrong about the food poisoning. If that is what it really is, I do know the guys were going to do a ruins excursion in Cozumel (she was staying behind) and I believe that was today. Could have been whatever lunch they were served...if all the others who are sick were on that excursion. Will see what else I hear.

And still just beating myself up about it...and I know I shouldn't!

we just got done with a week of sick residents at the nursing home where I work. All 3 wings had people with either forceful diarhhea (Noro) or vomiting (flu). The County Health Dept came in and took fecal samples to see if it was Norovirus. So jus remember, if its Noro, its not just a cruise ship thing!

we just got done with a week of sick residents at the nursing home where I work. All 3 wings had people with either forceful diarhhea (Noro) or vomiting (flu). The County Health Dept came in and took fecal samples to see if it was Norovirus. So jus remember, if its Noro, its not just a cruise ship thing!

Sorry, but there is awhole lot more to the flu than vomiting, an actual small side effect.

Yep, if it's Noro, then it could happen anywhere. I was so sick I wanted to fall into a coma. It was horrible, on both ends. ;) To make matters worse, it took me well over a week to feel normal again; although, the vomitting and diarrhea stopped after the first day. My fingers and toes are crossed that they don't have this.

(BTW, my sister and I contracted the noro from a local restaurant.)

Just received another text from my friend. They announced it is norovirus. Her hubby is sick as a dog, her son is up and about and not feeling as bad as yesterday. The two grandsons are still sleeping. Has not been their best experience, that is for sure!

I picked up something similar towards the end of our cruise last year. I felt like never cruising again. I was sick 1 1/2 days after Isla Roatan and it lasted weeks. Ughh. I am done cruising those areas. It was that bad...BUT...we are booked again :D in June on RC for Eastern. I could care less if we get off the ship. I would be more then happy to stay on board and hopefully healthy! Terrible...I know. :rolleyes: BUT...you know...I never heard about others sick on board....no crew ever asked... I wasnt well enough to get out of the room...but my family was ok. I wonder how you find out so many are sick...did she go to the dr. on board?

I dont think you can really avoid these things. I just make sure to travel with meds just in case...and keep washing my hands.

Sorry your friend is sick.

Sorry to hear about your friends and Noro. Don't beat yourself up!! It could have happened to anyone, at anytime, and is unpredictable.

Just a reminder to practice good sanitation measures, and to remind others of the same!!! I've been trying to avoid getting sick all Fall/Winter. Usually I'm on my third cold/flu systems by now, so I have fingers crosses I don't pick up anything, or haven't pick up something that will show in the next week.

Happy Sailing!!!!!!!!!

Just received another text from my friend. They announced it is norovirus. Her hubby is sick as a dog, her son is up and about and not feeling as bad as yesterday. The two grandsons are still sleeping. Has not been their best experience, that is for sure!

are they all quarantined to their cabin? what a miserable way to spend such a wonderful vacation :(

got the noro on my first cruise a few years back. I had read all of this stuff about the norovirus before we left, I used hand sanitizer like it was going out of style. Still got it... worshipped the porcelain god for the last full day of our cruise. I thought I was going to die.

As far as the rest of our cruise, it was a blast (considering). Then again, it was my first, and I didn't have anything to compare it to.

The upside? I didn't gain any weight.

Yikes! DH and I are on boarding this Saturday. Does anyone know if or how this will affect our cruise? Will boarding be delayed because they will have more-than-normal cleaning/disinfecting to do once passengers disembark?

I just hate to hear about a cruise that goes bad. You never want to get sick, but on a cruise is just the pits!

FWIW, seemingly everyone in Kansas City got norovirus around Thanksgiving. We started feeling off right after the turkey went in, and at that point just let it keep cooking, though the smell of food in the house . . . We had just had a big holiday breakfast with bacon, and we still cannot stomach (lol!) the thought of bacon. Seriously, bacon is dead to us now. Hubby and I were trying to take care of an 11-month old baby who was full of energy while we were on the verge of death. Not cool.

Noro was all over the city for several weeks, and we could not pinpoint how we had acquired it. Best of luck to your friends, noro happens all over.

Yikes! DH and I are on boarding this Saturday. Does anyone know if or how this will affect our cruise? Will boarding be delayed because they will have more-than-normal cleaning/disinfecting to do once passengers disembark?

I just hate to hear about a cruise that goes bad. You never want to get sick, but on a cruise is just the pits!

I would suggest taking travel Lysol spray or anti-bacterial wipes and wiping down the door handles, phone, bathroom faucet, etc. I did this recently when we cruised. I'm sure they clean well, but it can't hurt and let's face it...the turn around time is very short for a good thorough cleaning.

Sorry, but there is awhole lot more to the flu than vomiting, an actual small side effect.

In fact, in adults, would be a pretty rare symptom.

Both diarrhea and vomiting could be indicative of Norovirus.

Influenza (the flu) is a respiratory illness...it usually doesn't cause vomiting. The "stomach flu" (which isn't "flu" at all) is usually noro!!!

I agree.

I would suggest taking travel Lysol spray or anti-bacterial wipes and wiping down the door handles, phone, bathroom faucet, etc. I did this recently when we cruised. I'm sure they clean well, but it can't hurt and let's face it...the turn around time is very short for a good thorough cleaning.

That is EXACTLY what we do when we travel anywhere....spray EVERYTHING you will touch. Don't forget light swithes, drawer handles, everything. Better safe than sorry. Oh and always use a napkin when using those tongs in the windjammer. Just watch and see how many people just walk by those sanitizer machines...YUCK:eek:

Archived