Too many dresses & too many growns but no place to go

Porthopper2009

Today my husband and I were supposed to fly to New York then tomorrow we would board Queen Mary 2 for 103 days world cruise.

On December 3, 2010 I was hanging the Christmas lights on the tree in front of our house the ladder slipped I ended up in the hospital with shattered heels and compression fracture L1. My right heel had an L shape screw and 11 pins and screws. My left heel aslo had an L shape screw and 8 pins and screws. I will be in the wheelchair for two more months. I am determined to to walk by the summer.

Hope all is well with everyone and Happy cruising.

Marie

5349868044_f6a5c8cc01_s.jpg

5349868028_af03e86fc3_s.jpg

5267193304_95788cd2ea_s.jpg

5349867976_d35093e520_s.jpg

What a terrible thing to happen to you. I suspect that if you have time for a very long cruise that you might be retired, and I have the best tip in the whole world. We have lived in two separate age-restricted communities both in CA and AZ, and I learned several years ago that we just don't belong on ladders hanging Christmas lights and in talking about this very thing with several of our local firefighters (who spend many hours all year long answering 911 calls, but particularly ladder falls at Christmas time), they all told me "call your local fire house and ask one if one of the off-duty personnel would come hang your decorations, and we are more than happy to do so. We would rather do this than pick up the pieces when you fall." They do not expect to be paid for this service, but everyone does give them a cash tip of at least $10 and that's whole lot less expensive than the ER, ambulance ride, etc. So keep this in mind for this December, and please pass it on to your friends and neighbors.

And I do hope you ultimately get to do your long cruise.

Hello everyone;

Thank you for all the good wishes. Right now I feel like crying. The three Queens are celebratining their departure with firework in NY and I am not there.

I am going to need on more surgery to streighten a bone and a screw. I am determine to walk by the summer.

Yes, we did have insurance. We filed the claim but no check yet.

Yes, we booked 2012 world cruise on Queen Elizabeth.

I am going to stay away from all trees, ladders :D

Hope all is well with everyone.

Marie

Wow. I'm sorry to hear about your accident. My words of wisdom - when it comes time to start physical therapy, do as much as you can, as hard as you can. Most insurance won't cover the PT sessions that you actually need - for some reason, they believe 30 sessions are enough for any injury. That's from experience. I shattered my left fibula and dislocated the tibia on a vacation 4 years ago. 2 surgeries and 10 months of PT (3 times a week) got me about 80% back to what I was. My therapist told me that they didn't think I'd get back that much, but because I was willing to do so much for so long, I got more than the usual person...

Hello -- I had foot surgery in 2009 and was determined to go ahead with our 50th Wedding Anniversary Med cruise that summer. Please, feel free to be so very disappointed right now, but time will heal your feet. I am now pain free, but the months and months of rehab made me doubt I would ever be pain free. Please look forward to the future when your feet will be healed and you can again cruise to your heart's content.

I will pray for your complete recovery. I would go on a cruise even in a wheel-chair to enjoy all that a cruise is. By very best wishes for a complete recovery.

Margee

Today my husband and I were supposed to fly to New York then tomorrow we would board Queen Mary 2 for 103 days world cruise.

On December 3, 2010 I was hanging the Christmas lights on the tree in front of our house the ladder slipped I ended up in the hospital with shattered heels and compression fracture L1. My right heel had an L shape screw and 11 pins and screws. My left heel aslo had an L shape screw and 8 pins and screws. I will be in the wheelchair for two more months. I am determined to to walk by the summer.

Hope all is well with everyone and Happy cruising.

Marie

5349868044_f6a5c8cc01_s.jpg

5349868028_af03e86fc3_s.jpg

5267193304_95788cd2ea_s.jpg

5349867976_d35093e520_s.jpg

Oh my! This was so unfortunate and sad! I work with people in your circumstance, and many go on to walk very well. ....these types of fractures are very painful... Keep up with your arm and shoulder strengthening for when you start walking again. And, am wishing you a better year in 2011.

Archived