New Levels

mpbmark

Methinks the lady doth protest too much. :rolleyes:

The point was not anyone caring why you cruise. The point is that you were complaining about it.

I protest b/c I'm tired of all the -on their high horse- cruisers casting judgment about how and why other people get their credits. It's none of your (not "you" personally, all the busy body cruise criticers) concern so please focus on alcohol smugglers, or what people wear to the MDR, or if a service dog has a vest, or a number of other things that have no affect on you whatsoever.

Or keep worrying about it, we can talk about it at the D event...which I got (mostly) in a year, even though it took you (again not "you") years to attain. :D

Also, please point out where I was complaining about how I got my credits. Good luck with the search :D

Also, please take a look at your (this time I do mean "you") post. You weren't posting b/c he said it might have been a dumb thing.

"I feel sorry for you"...yeah that's not condescending and trying to convey that you are somehow better than this poster. :rolleyes:

And I feel sorry for you if that is the *only* reason that you went on that cruise.

And that you would be upset if the cruise didn't "get you anything."

This is a prime example of reductio ad absurdum.

Cruise because you want to cruise, people, *not* for some elusive "C & A status".

:rolleyes:

Can't believe I just read through 7 pages of posts...

So the current speculation is that they are going to give 7 points for every credit to covert everyone to the new system, then going forward, people will earn credits based on nights at sea?

I would like to think there would be a way to grandfather people who currently have cruises booked to receive the credit they anticipated that would have brought them up a level but my guess is that would be impossible to manage.

So the current speculation is that they are going to give 7 points for every credit to covert everyone to the new system.

I must of missed that post. That wouldn't be a bad idea. IMHO

So the current speculation is that they are going to give 7 points for every credit to covert everyone to the new system, then going forward, people will earn credits based on nights at sea?

I would like to think there would be a way to grandfather people who currently have cruises booked to receive the credit they anticipated that would have brought them up a level but my guess is that would be impossible to manage.

The speculation is that you would get a point for each night you cruise. So a 3 night cruise would equal 3 points, a 7 night cruise would equal 7 points, a 12 night cruise would equal 12 points. Double those points if you are booked in a JS cabin or above.

I got off Nav on Sat Jan 15. I spoke with RCCL staff who said:

(a) they could not confirm what the changes will be but

(b) Cruise Critic information is amazingly accurate and

© unlike the changes (two ? years ago), it is expected that passengers will like the new system.

I described the changes two years ago as being something of a disaster and that phrase was met with a barely perceptible but unmistakeable nod.

I understand that the staff knew exactly what the changes were expected to be and also that they could not tell me, confirm or deny any rumors, and that's just fine. I had expected the changes to go into effect while I was at sea, on Jan 12, but the staff told me that the changes were postponed. Good that they told me because, as one can read on other posts, the RCCL website doesn't work from the ship's public computers.

On a lighter note, the wonderful concierge, Carlos, was shocked when I told him that I was glad that I was on his ship before his vcacation. How did I know when his vacation was? CC of course. Accurate again.

The speculation is that you would get a point for each night you cruise. So a 3 night cruise would equal 3 points, a 7 night cruise would equal 7 points, a 12 night cruise would equal 12 points. Double those points if you are booked in a JS cabin or above.

Sounds fair to me

BTW Im envious of your upcoming B2B2B on the Radiance

You can always join us.:)

If my GF could get that much time off of work I would be booking it today but for some reason I dont think her boss would let her take 2 months off Darn Him!:(

Enjoy and I know I will be reading about your adventures here

I got off Nav on Sat Jan 15. I spoke with RCCL staff who said:

(a) they could not confirm what the changes will be but

(b) Cruise Critic information is amazingly accurate and

© unlike the changes (two ? years ago), it is expected that passengers will like the new system.

I described the changes two years ago as being something of a disaster and that phrase was met with a barely perceptible but unmistakeable nod.

I understand that the staff knew exactly what the changes were expected to be and also that they could not tell me, confirm or deny any rumors, and that's just fine. I had expected the changes to go into effect while I was at sea, on Jan 12, but the staff told me that the changes were postponed. Good that they told me because, as one can read on other posts, the RCCL website doesn't work from the ship's public computers.

Our experience was the same on Explorer 1/2/11 cruise. The senior staff knew what the changes were going to be but were not allowed to discuss any of it with the passengers. It appeared they were warned of possible disciplinary action for having loose lips. When I told them I already knew the changes they seemed shocked. A couple of them acknowledged the information I had was accurate.

I agree most everyone will be happy with the changes except of course those who were approaching their 100th credit and will now have a much more difficult time reaching Pinnacle with the new system.

I agree most everyone will be happy with the changes except of course those who were approaching their 100th credit and will now have a much more difficult time reaching Pinnacle with the new system.

The system will also completely re-allign the list of RCI's top cruisers. I know some people just a few down from the top who are there because of mostly 3 nighters. They will now likely be a dozen or so down. The people in the 150-200 range who did mostly longer cruises will likely climb to the top.

Since many CC contributors report only the OLD folks are taking the long cruises and/or will be the only ones obtaining Pinnacle Status, perhaps they should make a last minute name change to the Pinochle Club? :eek:

I remember the person being flamed for posting this picture as a photo shop job. I guess this is proof that something is going on to all the nayayers

Pinnacle_club.jpg

The system will also completely re-allign the list of RCI's top cruisers. I know some people just a few down from the top who are there because of mostly 3 nighters. They will now likely be a dozen or so down. The people in the 150-200 range who did mostly longer cruises will likely climb to the top.

And you can imagine the consternation that will cause.:rolleyes:

We had a gentleman on board Explorer who has now reached 99 cruise credits and won't be sailing again until late February. He would be one of those who is unhappy if the proposed changes are effective immediately and occur in the next couple of weeks.

We had a gentleman on board Explorer who has now reached 99 cruise credits and won't be sailing again until late February. He would be one of those who is unhappy if the proposed changes are effective immediately and occur in the next couple of weeks.

Hopefully he will be fine. After the announcement is made, I imagine there will be a grace period. My guess is implementation will be June 1.

And you can imagine the consternation that will cause.:rolleyes:

Oh, you better believe it. I know there is now, even with the current system.

What happens @ 100th cruise do you get a free cruise like Carnival???

Hopefully he will be fine. After the announcement is made, I imagine there will be a grace period. My guess is implementation will be June 1.

From what I was told there will be no grace period. Everything else reported seems to confirm my info. I guess will know very soon.

You're right too...I should have said for MANY people that are D+ already, it shouldn't matter how close they are to Pinnacle

There are many D+ for whom a conversion to days might make a big difference, without having anything to do with making Pinnacle.

1). There are currently 2 levels above D+, the 49 credit level and the 74 credit level. Benefits for these levels can be significant. For example, at the 74 credit level, one could order 3 $50 bottles of wine on a 7 day cruise. That's a $150 benefit.

2). Upgrades are given out based on highest credit level. Someone at the 60+ credit level now has a good chance of getting an upgrade, depending on the sailing.

So, someone with 60 credits now (call this 60% of Pinnacle), who has a high percentage of 3/4/5 day cruises, might find themselves moved way down the ladder, maybe 30% of Pinnacle, if a straight conversion to days is effected.

there are many d+ for whom a conversion to days might make a big difference, without having anything to do with making pinnacle.

1). There are currently 2 levels above d+, the 49 credit level and the 74 credit level. Benefits for these levels can be significant. For example, at the 74 credit level, one could order 3 $50 bottles of wine on a 7 day cruise. That's a $150 benefit. There are currently no levels above d+

2). Upgrades are given out based on highest credit level. Someone at the 60+ credit level now has a good chance of getting an upgrade, depending on the sailing. True

so, someone with 60 credits now (call this 60% of pinnacle), who has a high percentage of 3/4/5 day cruises, might find themselves moved way down the ladder, maybe 30% of pinnacle, if a straight conversion to days is effected.TRUE

It appears to be surprising to some that there are actually Diamonds out there who have zero interest in D Lounges at all. From my experience there are more than one might think. Do enjoy the balcony/suite discounts though.

For all it helps me, someone can have my D status. I don't drink, don't attend any "events," and always cruise in a lovely (low-cost) inside cabin. The only thing my D status benefited me was a nice 10 percent off my Celebrity Xpedition cruise coming up, since there is a reciprocity agreement.:D

For what it's worth, I have 75 cruise days on RCCL. Don't know if that's good or bad under the new system.

Kathy

Oh yeah, I think I got a free picture once.:D

I think what is happening is that Royal is thinking in terms of not taking away anything already achieved, but making it more difficult to get to the next level.

Can you imagine the nightmare of trying to go back over the years of accumulated cruises and converting everyone's cruise credit to day credits? Think of the uproar from those that went down the ladder because of that, and the number of people that would protest because they do not agree with the conversion numbers.

Instead, it would make sense to leave the achieved cruise credits alone. But, going forward, they could make cruises of 1 to 6 days earn only 1/2 a point. And perhaps make mini-suites earn only a extra 1/2 point with full suites earning the full point.

Now, somewhere they need to sandwich in a new Emerald level. That will probably fit in between Platinum and Diamond. I would guess that your present level would be grandfathered at where you are now. Diamonds will remain Diamonds and won't slip back to Emeralds. But I would also guess that it will become more difficult to achieve the next level. So, in a way, since they're not bumping you from your achieved level, it can be said that they're not taking anything away from you that you have already achieved.

Of course, they can change what they offer at each level. And they probably will. But, remember, they did that last year. And a lot of people got upset over it. But since then, Royal has been able to raise their prices and still keep ships full, the company has been much more profitable, and the stock is near an all time high. So obviously changing those benefits a year ago didn't hurt the company any.

All this wisdom and four bucks will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks!

From what I just learned on my last weeks cruise, they are going to change to days at sea, everyone will be grandfathered in, there will be two new levels, emerald and pennicle being the two new ones, the announcement will be made on Jan. 21. The staff that is affected has already been trained. Diamond + will still get to use the concierge lounge. Better benefits also. They were supposed to announce on the 12th but for some reason changed to the 21st. That is everything that I found out.

there are many d+ for whom a conversion to days might make a big difference, without having anything to do with making pinnacle.

1). There are currently 2 levels above d+, the 49 credit level and the 74 credit level. Benefits for these levels can be significant. For example, at the 74 credit level, one could order 3 $50 bottles of wine on a 7 day cruise. That's a $150 benefit. There are currently no levels above d+

I think what Bob was referring to is that after you have earned 24 cruise credits and become D+ on future cruises you can request a special amenity by calling the D+ Desk.

That amenity increases to 2 when you have earned 49 cruise credits and to 3 when you have earned 74 cruise credits. Dinner with an officer is also offered at the 49 cruise credit level.

Archived