New Levels

mpbmark

I booked the 1/7 Majesty cruise last minute to become D after seeing the hoopla here (the infamous sign sealed the deal for me), and I ran into others on the ship who did the same thing to become D and D+ (including one couple who paid a premium for a last-minute suite as nothing else was left--ouch!). It might end up being the most stupid thing I've ever done, but as the old joke goes about why a dog does a particular thing with certain body parts, I got on the ship because I could, being a "local".

We'll be on the Liberty in Europe this summer, we wanted to do it as Ds, it took us 7 years of mostly short RCI cruises to get to D, and if C&A levels changed to number of days as was rumored, we probably wouldn't have otherwise been Ds for a long time.

Every RCI person on the ship and on land swore that I'd be grandfathered as a D by taking the 1/7 cruise. If that doesn't happen, we certainly won't be the only ones calling C&A.

And I feel sorry for you if that is the *only* reason that you went on that cruise.

And that you would be upset if the cruise didn't "get you anything."

This is a prime example of reductio ad absurdum.

Cruise because you want to cruise, people, *not* for some elusive "C & A status".

:rolleyes:

Just off the Jewel . At our Cruise critic M&m our speaker said she couldnt go into much details but she said there will be a new tier and proably no credits for cruises less than 6 days. Too many diamonds from short cruises .Also we were given cupon books that expired jan. 1 . They told us to use them as the new books wernt ready yet. CARL

Guess they had pulled that sign at check in for the Allure by 12/18/10. This would definitely have gotten my attention.

What's kind of funny is how everyone talks about the D & D+ lounges are busy. We've only had access on the Oasis and Allure, one was a summer cruise and the other was this past Christmas. Neither time was the D Lounge busy. We went at various times of the day. Even in the evening with adult beverages available, we were very surprised not to experience a crowded D Lounge. Since these ships are our first experiences with being on a ship and having access to a D Lounge, are the lounges on the Freedom class much smaller? We've participated in the nightly Diamond events on ships without a D Lounge and hardly anyone bothered to go. It was suprising to us. Would love to hear input here.

It appears to be surprising to some that there are actually Diamonds out there who have zero interest in D Lounges at all. From my experience there are more than one might think. Do enjoy the balcony/suite discounts though.

Just off the Jewel . At our Cruise critic M&m our speaker said she couldnt go into much details but she said there will be a new tier and proably no credits for cruises less than 6 days. Too many diamonds from short cruises .Also we were given cupon books that expired jan. 1 . They told us to use them as the new books wernt ready yet. CARL

Now that would seriously suck, but I can't imagine that they'd take away giving credit to those on short cruises... I know I'm not the only one who would rather do several short cruises than one long cruise. Those short cruises are pretty darn popular.

I'm just hoping that we'll still make Platinum after our 2/13 Freedom cruise. want the discounts and the priority check-in! We didn't go on a cruise last year since I was without a job, so we're really excited to be back cruising again.

Just off the Jewel . At our Cruise critic M&m our speaker said she couldnt go into much details but she said there will be a new tier and proably no credits for cruises less than 6 days. Too many diamonds from short cruises. CARL

That would kill Tampa as a viable port, as RCI only does 4 and 5 night cruises out of there.

That would kill Tampa as a viable port, as RCI only does 4 and 5 night cruises out of there.

I agree. Think it is crazy to think they would eliminate any cruise credits for cruises less than 6 days. RCI does a ton of 3, 4, and 5 days cruises out of multiple ports on multiple ships. :rolleyes:

It's just not going to happen - this no cruise credit idea for cruises 5 days or less. This shows how much misinformation is spread by those who supposedly are in the know on the ships. On Radiance the crew kept telling everyone there would be a Johnny Rockets, too. That just wasn't true. I asked a waiter why they would tell people this and I was told, "because that's what we want it to be. It would be so much fun". :eek:

Maybe what the person on board Jewel meant was that a short cruise won't get as much credit as a long cruise. That's the case now and if they go to days at sea, it will of course be the case. It will just seem more balanced than a 3 night cruise getting the same credit as a 10 night cruise.

Sometimes things get interpreted differently as they go along as in the game of gossip/telephone.

Gina

From RCCL C&A web site

Extra cruise credit for a 12-night or longer cruise/Cruisetour14

11 nights still only get 1 credit!!

That makes no sense...............if 3 nights get 1 credit too!

From RCCL C&A web site

Extra cruise credit for a 12-night or longer cruise/Cruisetour14

11 nights still only get 1 credit!!

That makes no sense...............if 3 nights get 1 credit too!

If true, it would be consistent with what I was told and first posted. I have not seen anything written about it, was just told that by a friend on Serenade this week.

Plausible Deniability.....

In the movie Independence Day, even the President did not know area 51 actually existed.:)

C&A just doesn't know yet.

I guess I could also quote Josie Wales.:D

LOL...Nice Evaluator can always count on you for the lighter side....

I think from our meeting RCL or the people in charge think too many perks given to short cruisers . Like combining sharholder credits they cut that . Too much benifits take away their bottom line . I wouldnt be surprised that 2 3day cruises can be combined for the 6 day requirement . She implied that a 3 day will no longer equil benafits of our 11 day cruise . RCL is equiling the field as she put it . She said a lot of Miami resadents take a lot of 3day trips are getting too many benafits . I like the way HAL does it with days traveled not amount traveled combined with money spent on ship .. Maybe RCL is looking at that . CARL

It appears to be surprising to some that there are actually Diamonds out there who have zero interest in D Lounges at all. From my experience there are more than one might think. Do enjoy the balcony/suite discounts though.

could not care the least about the lounge, much prefer the real lounges on the ship but the balcony discount is great and that I do like

I speculate that they DID do the conversions to days at sea, saw how many D+ monsters they had just created, and now are trying to rework the numbers. There are an awful lot of people who have done longer cruises. Days at sea may have drastically increased the number of D+ members which might be the opposite of what they had thought would happen.

Just my guess.

Or IT is still working on it. :rolleyes:

Gina

Gina, I think you hit the nail on the head !

It's just not going to happen - this no cruise credit idea for cruises 5 days or less. This shows how much misinformation is spread by those who supposedly are in the know on the ships. On Radiance the crew kept telling everyone there would be a Johnny Rockets, too. That just wasn't true. I asked a waiter why they would tell people this and I was told, "because that's what we want it to be. It would be so much fun". :eek:

Maybe what the person on board Jewel meant was that a short cruise won't get as much credit as a long cruise. That's the case now and if they go to days at sea, it will of course be the case. It will just seem more balanced than a 3 night cruise getting the same credit as a 10 night cruise.

Sometimes things get interpreted differently as they go along as in the game of gossip/telephone.

Gina

Agree -- the rumors that have turned out to be so off the mark are proof of your observation.

Cruise because you want to cruise, people, *not* for some elusive "C & A status".

I think RCI has created a monster with their C&A program. I love the benefits I get as a frequent cruiser, but dam people, a changing loyalty program is nothing to lose sleep over. If it changes, just go with it.

I so agree with both of you!!!

And I feel sorry for you if that is the *only* reason that you went on that cruise.

And that you would be upset if the cruise didn't "get you anything."

This is a prime example of reductio ad absurdum.

Actually, it wasn't the ONLY reason to go on the 1/7 cruise--it was between 1/7 and two others later in January, which we can easily decide living 20 minutes from the port and using zero vacation time to jump on the Majesty. It cost an extra $50 or so to take the 1/7 cruise instead of a later one--for that, it was worth the investment to lock in the additional perks of D status (whatever they end up being) a few years in advance. Does that sound like a reasonable business decision?

Actually, it wasn't the ONLY reason to go on the 1/7 cruise--it was between 1/7 and two others later in January, which we can easily decide living 20 minutes from the port and using zero vacation time to jump on the Majesty. It cost an extra $50 or so to take the 1/7 cruise instead of a later one--for that, it was worth the investment to lock in the additional perks of D status (whatever they end up being) a few years in advance. Does that sound like a reasonable business decision?

Just ignore them. Who cares what your reason was and how on earth does it affect any of them??

Pssst, my mom and I booked an extra two cruises between Nov and Dec 2010 (in addition to the two we already had in Nov and Dec) just so we'd get to Diamond!! We even referred to one as "just a cruise credit" and didn't even get off the ship or do much of anything. OMG, the horror! :eek: Are we condemned to hell or something now? :rolleyes:

Just ignore them. Who cares what your reason was and how on earth does it affect any of them??

Pssst, my mom and I booked an extra two cruises between Nov and Dec 2010 (in addition to the two we already had in Nov and Dec) just so we'd get to Diamond!! We even referred to one as "just a cruise credit" and didn't even get off the ship or do much of anything. OMG, the horror! :eek: Are we condemned to hell or something now? :rolleyes:

Thanks! You're 100% right. :D

That will be true in a way -

3 day cruise=1 credit but new way = 3 nights/points

11 day cruise=1 credit but new way = 11 nights/points.

Elizanessie, that makes perfect sense and no one will be upset by that of course those of us that live in Florida might be LOL.

I think this is the fairest way to go now lets see what RCL does. You know making smart decision is not one of RCL strong points.

Since we are having fun speculating ... this IS fun isn't it?

The top-heavy C&A perks system was the result of a couple of things: Giving too much credit for short cruises, but also making the C&A credits cumulative over the cruiser's lifetime.

If they set a limit on accumulating credits ... such as the past 10 years with lower limits of course ... they could still reward the regular cruisers, but avoid the inevitable rise to higher levels of almost anyone who takes any cruises over a period of 20 or 30 years.

Do the other cruise lines also count credits over the cruiser's lifetime?

Airlines such as American award elite status based on recent flying. They do have unofficial lifetime status, but those limits are very high. RCI could do something like that.

Archived