New Levels

mpbmark

Here is a somewhat blurry picture from the coupon book being issued on BOS leaving Puerto Rico right now.

Note the different levels. I was also told by my friend on board that there does not appear to be an extra credit anymore for a cruise longer than 12 days. 7 days = 1 credit; 15 days = 1 credit. No information on whether a cruise shorter than 7 days is less than 1 credit.

He may have more information upon his return next week.

This now leaves me in no doubt- the changes that are being speculated upon (much to the annoyance of some) are real. Not good to find out this way though... come on RCI -own up. I compared my last D+ voucher book and the photo although blurred looks abosultely genuine.

2). Upgrades are given out based on highest credit level. Someone at the 60+ credit level now has a good chance of getting an upgrade, depending on the sailing. .

I was a lonely platinum when I received an upgrade from an inside to a balcony over central park. :D My son was a gold, when they upgraded him as well to the balcony next to mine. our reservations were linked. It is what it is.

I was a lonely platinum when I received an upgrade from an inside to a balcony over central park. :D My son was a gold, when they upgraded him as well to the balcony next to mine. our reservations were linked. It is what it is.

Those were revenue upgrades. clarea was referring to D/D+ perks.

I think what Bob was referring to is that after you have earned 24 cruise credits and become D+ on future cruises you can request a special amenity by calling the D+ Desk.

That amenity increases to 2 when you have earned 49 cruise credits and to 3 when you have earned 74 cruise credits. Dinner with an officer is also offered at the 49 cruise credit level.

Thanks for the clarification Patti.

I also forgot to mention that at 49 cruise credits, the single cruiser gets a stateroom price for 150% of the single person price, with a few exceptions. This is a significant cost savings for the single cruiser.

While it's true that there are no levels above D+ called out by name, there are in fact 2 levels above the 24 cruise credit level with increases in benefits. If the rumors about grandfathering are true, I wonder if those unnamed levels would be part of the grandfathering.

Bob

There are many D+ for whom a conversion to days might make a big difference, without having anything to do with making Pinnacle.

1). There are currently 2 levels above D+, the 49 credit level and the 74 credit level. Benefits for these levels can be significant. For example, at the 74 credit level, one could order 3 $50 bottles of wine on a 7 day cruise. That's a $150 benefit.

2). Upgrades are given out based on highest credit level. Someone at the 60+ credit level now has a good chance of getting an upgrade, depending on the sailing.

So, someone with 60 credits now (call this 60% of Pinnacle), who has a high percentage of 3/4/5 day cruises, might find themselves moved way down the ladder, maybe 30% of Pinnacle, if a straight conversion to days is effected.

I think what Bob was referring to is that after you have earned 24 cruise credits and become D+ on future cruises you can request a special amenity by calling the D+ Desk.

That amenity increases to 2 when you have earned 49 cruise credits and to 3 when you have earned 74 cruise credits. Dinner with an officer is also offered at the 49 cruise credit level.

If those are $50 bottles of wine, I'll eat my hat. :rolleyes:

Those were revenue upgrades. clarea was referring to D/D+ perks.

Wrong, they were not revenue upgrades. We booked and paid for inside guarantee (two rooms), when the rooms were assigned about two weeks prior to sailing, we had been given central park balconies (this was the allure paid inagural; not the two free inagural). We did know a Diamond + couple on board who had an inside and wans't upgraded. We tried to find out why and the closest we came to an explanation (not specific to our booking) was that due to the Allure being new, they had a lot of extra staff to run interference if things were going wrong and probably needed more cabins space for them. Besides, I've read of other instances on this board where lower level folks get nice upgrades. I'm sure they do try and upgrade their highest level, its just that it CAN and DOES happen to everyone if its your lucky day.

I protest b/c I'm tired of all the -on their high horse- cruisers casting judgment about how and why other people get their credits. It's none of your (not "you" personally, all the busy body cruise criticers) concern so please focus on alcohol smugglers, or what people wear to the MDR, or if a service dog has a vest, or a number of other things that have no affect on you whatsoever.

Or keep worrying about it, we can talk about it at the D event...which I got (mostly) in a year, even though it took you (again not "you") years to attain. :D

Also, please point out where I was complaining about how I got my credits. Good luck with the search :D

Also, please take a look at your (this time I do mean "you") post. You weren't posting b/c he said it might have been a dumb thing.

"I feel sorry for you"...yeah that's not condescending and trying to convey that you are somehow better than this poster. :rolleyes:

The complaint remark was directed at txatty's quote. The protesting referred to you supporting his post.

I truly don't understand why you feel the need to attack me.

Each of us is offering a point of view, an opinion. Often those are reactions to the opinions and points of view of other posters.

And I do, indeed, think that it is sad that someone would cruise "just for the point" and complain about it, as though they hadn't gotten A CRUISE for their money.

........so......I heard that RCCL has a consultant that has suggested, for consistency sake, a range of new C&A levels that are the same as the traditional Anniversary levels.....so......get ready for 1 Cruise = 1 Year:

1 Cruise - Paper

5 Cruises - Wood

10 Cruises - Tin

15 Cruises - Crystal

20 Cruises - China

25 Cruises - Silver

30 Cruises - Pearl

35 Cruises - Coral

40 Cruises - Ruby

45 Cruises - Sapphire

50 Cruises - Gold

55 Cruises - Emerald

60 Cruises - Diamond

75 Cruises - Diamond Plus

Wow - just think of all of the C&A pins that you could wear!!! And hearing someone shout "Wow I have made it to a woodie"!!!!!

SMILE - have fun cruising - don't sweat the small stuff - you may become a "tin man" someday!!!!!

I think what is happening is that Royal is thinking in terms of not taking away anything already achieved, but making it more difficult to get to the next level.

Can you imagine the nightmare of trying to go back over the years of accumulated cruises and converting everyone's cruise credit to day credits? Think of the uproar from those that went down the ladder because of that, and the number of people that would protest because they do not agree with the conversion numbers.

Instead, it would make sense to leave the achieved cruise credits alone. But, going forward, they could make cruises of 1 to 6 days earn only 1/2 a point. And perhaps make mini-suites earn only a extra 1/2 point with full suites earning the full point.

Now, somewhere they need to sandwich in a new Emerald level. That will probably fit in between Platinum and Diamond. I would guess that your present level would be grandfathered at where you are now. Diamonds will remain Diamonds and won't slip back to Emeralds. But I would also guess that it will become more difficult to achieve the next level. So, in a way, since they're not bumping you from your achieved level, it can be said that they're not taking anything away from you that you have already achieved.

Of course, they can change what they offer at each level. And they probably will. But, remember, they did that last year. And a lot of people got upset over it. But since then, Royal has been able to raise their prices and still keep ships full, the company has been much more profitable, and the stock is near an all time high. So obviously changing those benefits a year ago didn't hurt the company any.

All this wisdom and four bucks will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks!

The process of converting from credits to days sailed is a simple computer program. Your current cruise history already lists the number of days cruised (except for the mystery pre 1970 cruises). It is not rocket science for a code writer to take the various possible senerio's and modifiers and run them through the current system. And there you go, new system in place. :)

On Mariner we were offered a "meal" with an officer, not dinner, on the card you check for bridge tour, galley tour, etc. It was lunch on a sea day. On the NYE cruise we ate with the Marketing & Revenue director, who should be on stage as one of the comedians. It was really nice. On the cruise last week there were 3-4 tables, each hosted by an officer.

A couple of them would be onboard, once you add in the tax.:p

The process of converting from credits to days sailed is a simple computer program. Your current cruise history already lists the number of days cruised (except for the mystery pre 1970 cruises). It is not rocket science for a code writer to take the various possible senerio's and modifiers and run them through the current system. And there you go, new system in place. :)

It should be a simple process, but when your computer systems don't talk to each other (corporate knows the cruise credit total before C&A does, for example) and you toss in phantom cruises that may or may not be added into your total, plus the triple credit cruises that may or may not be knocked down to a maximum of double days, then the wheels might fall off the little red wagon.

I agree that the wine costs much less than $50 at your local Sam's Club, but the Mondavi Cab goes for $66.70 with gratuity on board. The on board cost is what is relevant here.

This wine is available at the D+ 74 cruise credit level. Actually, you can get 3 bottles of this wine on a 7 day or better cruise.

Bob

I agree that the wine costs much less than $50 at your local Sam's Club, but the Mondavi Cab goes for $66.70 with gratuity on board. The on board cost is what is relevant here.

This wine is available at the D+ 74 cruise credit level. Actually, you can get 3 bottles of this wine on a 7 day or better cruise.

Bob

Bob (and Jean), are you saying that at the 74+ level, you get to pick not only a better bottle, but you can have 3 of them??? I thought that it was ONE from the better list or THREE from the lower list.

If so, GOOD DEAL! :)

It may not be rocket science, but I am willing to bet a large sum that when, and if, they do the conversion and publish the results there will be a huge outcry over the number of errors that many will find in their accounts. Couple with that the fact that, until recently, they had constant problems posting new cruise credits in anything like a timely manner, and the fact that revenue and C&A frequently don't have their acts together, and you may understand our skepticism. And all of that disregards the likely disputes over the levels that will be set for each of the rumored tiers and how they will handle those members who are close to achieving a higher level but now find themselves much further from their goal because of the new tier amounts.

If it were as simple as you believe, what has kept them from doing so already? Never forget Murphy's Law. It may well apply in this situation.;)

Bill

Bob (and Jean), are you saying that at the 74+ level, you get to pick not only a better bottle, but you can have 3 of them??? I thought that it was ONE from the better list or THREE from the lower list.

If so, GOOD DEAL! :)

It was my impression that at the 74+ level you could have 3 amenities from any of the 3 lists. However, I've not done that personally, so I cannot be sure. Perhaps someone with direct experience will chime in here.

Even if you had to pick 3 amenities from the lower list, those wines could cost over $40 with gratuity, so it's still like having $120 OBC at the 74 cruise credit level. It would be a valuable benefit to me.

Bob

It may not be rocket science, but I am willing to bet a large sum that when, and if, they do the conversion and publish the results there will be a huge outcry over the number of errors that many will find in their accounts. Couple with that the fact that, until recently, they had constant problems posting new cruise credits in anything like a timely manner, and the fact that revenue and C&A frequently don't have their acts together, and you may understand our skepticism. And all of that disregards the likely disputes over the levels that will be set for each of the rumored tiers and how they will handle those members who are close to achieving a higher level but now find themselves much further from their goal because of the new tier amounts.

If it were as simple as you believe, what has kept them from doing so already? Never forget Murphy's Law. It may well apply in this situation.;)

Bill

Oh, I agree with RCI's track record. I would be willing to bet those large sums as well, that there will indeed be a huge outcry over errors no matter how they redo the system. And probably most of the outcry will be valid. :D

If the fear of errors (or the outcry over errors) were a deterent to change, then all these rumors would be just that. RCI would NEVER change their program. :eek:

I have a question. I am D+ but have no idea where to find the list of amenties to chose from.

Can someone point me in the right direction please.

thx

The amenities are not listed on Royal's website, but someone posted a PDF list here from early last year. I'd post it, but don't have access to it now.

You can call the D+ desk and they will read you the list. The D+ desk is the same number as C&A, except press 9 when you first hear the recording.

Bob

Wrong, they were not revenue upgrades. We booked and paid for inside guarantee (two rooms), when the rooms were assigned about two weeks prior to sailing, we had been given central park balconies (this was the allure paid inagural; not the two free inagural). We did know a Diamond + couple on board who had an inside and wans't upgraded. We tried to find out why and the closest we came to an explanation (not specific to our booking) was that due to the Allure being new, they had a lot of extra staff to run interference if things were going wrong and probably needed more cabins space for them. Besides, I've read of other instances on this board where lower level folks get nice upgrades. I'm sure they do try and upgrade their highest level, its just that it CAN and DOES happen to everyone if its your lucky day.

No, not wrong. What you just described is a revenue upgrade...exactly what I said. It's revenue that assigns those rooms, even when a GTY is booked.

The fact you and others were upgraded to better rooms and D+ wasn't means it was all the revenue dept, not due to C&A upgrades.

The inaugural probably had no upgrades available for C&A.

No, not wrong. What you just described is a revenue upgrade...exactly what I said. It's revenue that assigns those rooms, even when a GTY is booked.

The fact you and others were upgraded to better rooms and D+ wasn't means it was all the revenue dept, not due to C&A upgrades.

The inaugural probably had no upgrades available for C&A.

I'm not doubting you at all....just curious. Why would the revenue department upgrade someone (for no reason) when that upgrade could have/should have gone to a "more loyal" cruiser?

We couldn't figure out why were upgraded (though didn't complain, lol) especially when we found out there were D and D+ who were not upgraded.

How/why does the revenue dept work?

We didn't flaunt our upgrade, b/c had I been a D+ on that sailing, I would have been pretty annoyed a Platinum was upgraded for no reason/no cost

I'm not doubting you at all....just curious. Why would the revenue department upgrade someone (for no reason) when that upgrade could have/should have gone to a "more loyal" cruiser?

We couldn't figure out why were upgraded (though didn't complain, lol) especially when we found out there were D and D+ who were not upgraded.

How/why does the revenue dept work?

We didn't flaunt our upgrade, b/c had I been a D+ on that sailing, I would have been pretty annoyed a Platinum was upgraded for no reason/no cost

No one knows "why" Revenue does what it does. It answers to no one, explains to no one.

But it happens A LOT that lower level cruisers are upgraded, and there are NO upgrades left for C&A to give to D+ cruisers.

Archived