Gift exchanges at CC gatherings

Hal&Rob

I won't join any Roll Calls anymore -- don't like the new idea of cabin crawls and gift exchanges.

I agree about the cabin crawls-----like my private space and would not relish the thought of opening it up to a group of strangers. Now, I have met some lovely people at CC gatherings who I would be happy to have in our cabin for a drink at a later date, but I kind of like to get to know a person a bit before they come into my personal space.

As to the gift exchange---I would never suggest it but will go along with it if that is what the group wants. I only encountered it once and that was the suggestion that we take something native to our area. It did work out well and was a good ice breaker.

I don't care for the gift exchange idea. I suspect most people end up with things they don't want to give suitcase space to or candy/food/treats they don't wish to eat.......

But that is just me.

We all treasure suitcase space. :)

We love to attend CC M&G's but do not participate in gift exchange or cabin crawls if they are offered. Those things are not for us. We have made lifetime friends from CC M&G's and think they offer lots of shared experience, hints, tips and good people.

I won't join any Roll Calls anymore -- don't like the new idea of cabin crawls and gift exchanges.

I agree. We declined to join a Roll Call when the gift idea showed up.

Seems like too much enforced intimacy, and also, at our stage of the game, we're trying to remove objects from the house, not add to them. Also, it is not fair to the gifter to look at a their present in a potentially negative light.

Obviously, we may well be in the minority on this.

I agree. We declined to join a Roll Call when the gift idea showed up.

Seems like too much enforced intimacy, and also, at our stage of the game, we're trying to remove objects from the house, not add to them. Also, it is not fair to the gifter to look at a their present in a potentially negative light.

Obviously, we may well be in the minority on this.

You are certainly NOT in the minority on this, as I read this. I too agree that Gifts and cabin crawls is a bad idea and I would not be part of that either. If I read on the boards that it might happen at a M&G, I would not go, and would not sign up for the Roll Call either.

No disrespect intended, just would not be my thing for sure.

When they have Gift Exchanges planned, they often say "not required to participate" but it could be very uncomfortable to attend and not participate. There is one for an upcoming cruise we have booked and we won't be attending the M & G because of it.

I think if these things are to be done they should be an essentially separate function at the end of the M&G so people can leave gracefully. I, personally, see no problem with the cabin crawl since they are presumably a date/time separate from the M&G.

Roy

I think if these things are to be done they should be an essentially separate function at the end of the M&G so people can leave gracefully. I, personally, see no problem with the cabin crawl since they are presumably a date/time separate from the M&G.

Roy

The last Meet & Greet that I attended a couple of years ago -- first everyone got together and chatted for awhile. Then afterward the Meet & Greet they went from one person's cabin to another's. I knew about this before the get together so we politely excused ourselves and went to another activitiy -- wine tasting.

From reading quite a few Roll Call threads -- the cabin crawls are right after the Meet & Greet.

On our last cruise, NA 28 Nov-5 Dec, we had all (the entire CC group) planned ona gift exchange to be held and a Cabin Crawl for right after the M&G. But, the plans klind of fell away for the gift exchange because we all totally forgot about it. We were having to great of a time and just did not remember about the gifts until muuch later that day.

The cabin craw was only done by about 12 of us to start (though we had nearly 90 in attendance at the M&G) and by the end of it, we were down to about 5 or 6 of us. It was just to strenous for everyone, plus the fact that it was Mariner's Brunch time and Lunch time so....

Great ideas, but, I will not be planning any more Gift exchanges or Cabin Crawls for any of our Roll Calls again.

Joanie

I also do not like the idea of the gift exchange or the crawls, but that's not what the Roll Calls are about! You do not have to participate in those activities, or even go to the M&G. But roll calls are a great way to organize private tours and get to know some folks early. As a solo traveler, I find the roll calls very valuable.

I'm in agreement with the majority..No gift exchanges for us..We also treasure our Private space & don't like the cabin crawls..

As someone else mentioned, this is a time in our lives where we are downsizing & surely don't need any more trinkets..

When our kids left for their homes they had a car packed with many trinkets we've accumulated over the years..

Cheers....:)Betty

We like to participate in the roll call, but have yet to actually attend a meet and greet. Mostly due to the fact that one trip we had a red eye flight and ended up sleeping through it. The other we had an activity to attend at the time. I find the roll calls very informative, but would not participate in a cabin crawl or gift exchange.

agree...no gifts ...no crawl...........

some months ago the roll call/m & g organizer was asked by one poster to include same but the organizer said something akin to not on my watch , but if you can drum up support go for it at someplace other than the m & g . this was supported by a large % of the roll , in fact no one objected . no other member expressed interest in a separate event and the idea died but the proposer was not a happy camper:mad: and left the roll call and eventually cx'd the booking and opted for another line :eek:were the events are called m & m ;)[ not m&G ] and are compleatly controled by the line [ time , place , "cost " , etc etc etc ]

Gift exchanges or cabin crawls likely reduce the number of people coming to the M&G. It is sometimes difficult to get a good turnout and these added activities wouldn't help. If the M&G goes well, then the some may decide to get together again later in the cruise.

I also dislike roll calls that are geared to "let's do independent excursions together". It is ok is some people are discussing this, but I've read roll calls where that's most of the posts.

Archived