Digital Camera Recs?

Classynfun1

Before my cruise in three weeks, I need to buy a new digital camera! So many of you have posted great pics, so I wondered if I could get some recommendations of the cameras you love! I'm looking for something that in a small, easily portable in a clutch or pouch in a beach bag. Though I know the best pictures come from cameras with large lenses, I know I will damage those or just not carry them. So, if you have such a camera you would recommend, please let me know! If you have a waterproof case for it too, that would be great info!

Thank you in advance!

My wife loves her Sony DSC H20. It is small enough to carry in her hand bag but has many great features including 10X Optical Zoom, Full 1080 HD for movie capture and is 10.1 Megapixels. It's also pretty easy to use.

The only drawback is that it is not waterproof and a waterproof case for it would be way to expensive.

You can read reviews for it on Amazon.

I did much research before my W. Med cruise in Sept as I was ready for a new camera to record all those wonderful sites. I settled on Canon Power Shot SD 3500. I totally love it. It takes gorgeous photos. It is fully touch screen and so easy to use. Vey small and light. I love www.cnet.com

for research among a number of other research sites. Found best price at www.buydig.com along with free shipping.

i like nikons(I have a d5000 but thats gonna be to big for you) so we got our dd a nikon s6000 p/s(point and shoot) its really nice I like it myself(thinking about getting one so I dont need to lug my dslr with me all the time) my suggestion is go to a store check the different ones out(once you narrowed it down to a few diff. ones you want to look at) feel them take a few pics see how you like it in your hand they might be to heavy/bulky/buttons just seam weird... just try them all and go from there good luck

I also have a Nikon D5000 which I LOVE, but before our last cruise I wanted to get a waterproof point and shoot to have as a snorkeling camera and a smaller one for when I did not want to lug around the Nikon.

After much research, I bought a Sony TX-5. I absolutely LOVE it. It takes such great pics everywhere that I will think about not even taking the DSLR on some trips.

We did not have great snorkeling on our Southern Caribbean cruise last month, because it was either raining or had just stopped, making for relatively murky water and no bright sunshine, but I still got a few good underwater pics:

cc4bdcfe.jpg

But besides the underwater capability, the camera has some very cool features, including sweep panorama (hold the shutter, "sweep" the shot, and release the shutter):

ef5e11ee.jpg

Also a great low light, no flash setting that allows it to take multiple exposures, which it "combines" internally to get rid of blur. Our nighttime departure from San Juan:

41a5295e.jpg

It also has a touch screen which is very user-friendly, and video capability. It is very small and slips right in a pocket. When swimming or whenever I needed hands free, I either looped the carry strap on my wrist or around my bathing suit shoulder strap. The only drawback is that the zoom is only 3x, but that is the price you have to pay for a small size sometimes.

I have tons of pics in my review linked in my signature. Other than for a few of the St. Croix pics and those in San Juan, my DSLR never left the ship.

I can't recommend it highly enough!

Sue

I suggest you go to a camera store with a large selection and handle the ones that interest you. I have lusted after cameras that Ihave seen others use, but found when I handled them that my fingers were not comfortable, or there was no place for my right thumb to stabilize the camera without accidentally pushing some buttons. There are a lot of good cameras out there. Take a little time to play before buying. EM

I bring two digital cameras. I have an Olympus dslr but I also bring a small waterproof camera. I just bought a Fuji Finepix PX10. It is small, fits in my hand well, and also shoots HD video. It says it's waterproof to 10 feet and impact resistant. We're going on the Equinox next week. We'll see.

I did much research before my W. Med cruise in Sept as I was ready for a new camera to record all those wonderful sites. I settled on Canon Power Shot SD 3500. I totally love it. It takes gorgeous photos. It is fully touch screen and so easy to use. Vey small and light. I love www.cnet.com

for research among a number of other research sites. Found best price at www.buydig.com along with free shipping.

Here's agreeing with the above. Just about any of the Canon Powershot line are excellent compact cameras. Anything from their cheapest model to their most advanced, feature-packed version will be excellent.

Also check out Canon's Powershot D10 underwater camera. Very nice!

Thank all of you SO much! I love this board for all of the great info! I travel 24+ days a month for work and have a really tough time trying to get into any store during business hours. You all have really helped me narrow it down so I can go into one with a strategy in place and hold a few. Thanks for the recommendations and the gorgeous pictures! I think I've basically figured out for the price of a waterproof case, I can almost buy a waterproof camera and be good to go. So - I think I might just be looking at buying both. Especially given the prices on the links you have posted!

Huge thank you again!

A couple of things you might want to also consider when buying a new digital camera is it's power source and ease of use. I needed a camera prior to my cruise in December, did absolutely NO research and bought one off of HSN on a Midnight Special. It's biggest selling points were that is was battery operated (AA batteries) and had a 1gb interior storage as well as a slot for a memory card. I didn't want a camera that had a permanent battery that would need constant recharging as I take a LOT if pictures while on vacation and didnt want to be caught with a low or dead battery and no way to recharge it. The camera also had a GREAT 'Auto' feature as well as a very complicated mode to change every possible setting or add every possible feature to alter the outcome of the pictures. I barely read the owners manual, barely even used the NEW camera before departing on vacation, and it's ease of use resulted in some very nice pictures. Also some people are particular about how a camera 'feels' in the hands, regarding size and bulk, and hanging around their neck. I was surprised how much I loved the camera not ever having touched it before i bought it and only having 'seen' it on HSN.

What ever you are buying, make sure that it hasn't got a "wide lense", if

you will ever take close pictures of people!

I got the shock of my life after the New Year party

when every one looked at lest 30 lb overweight.

I had to appologise to my friends and explain that I had the "fat lense" on.

• 3 weeks later...

I love my Canon Powershot A2000 IS for the great quality of the pictures, but it does have one of those rechargeable batteries that needs to be plugged in every night! It fits in my purse. Also it has one of those mini-SD cards that only fit into your computer with an adapter, and is rather fiddly to get out of the camera. Also you need to pack the heavy charger, cords, etc. which take up space and add to weight when you are travelling.

My husband carries his larger Nikon, and it also needs recharging. Now just try to find 2 convenient outlets for charging these cameras in your cabin on board! Especially if you need a stepdown transformer on the socket, many outlets are located in corner spots where the transformer won't fit.

I also have another camera that just takes AA batteries. It is so easy to get AA batteries anywhere in the world and just always carry a couple of extras in your purse. That camera is the Samsung TL240, and it fits in my purse, is extremely easy to understand, and very convenient. Alas, the photo quality is not quite as high as the Powershot. The Samsung uses standard SD cards that fit into any computer or TV slot. But I'm saying, for convenience (and cost) it is very good.

As for taking underwater shots, if all you plan to do is snorkel for a day or so, well those disposable waterproof cameras are available and cheap. However, it wouldn't do if you are a scuba freak.

If you are willing to spend a little more ($350-400), the point-and-shoot that many pros use as a back-up is the Canon Powershot S95. I'm a pro, and I never liked anything except my DSLR until I got this camera. It is pocket size and easy to use, but is full of features and has a large sensor (the thing that makes pictures better) and image stabilization. It also does 1080p video.

I love it, and can't wait to try it out on my cruise next week.

If you are willing to spend a little more ($350-400), the point-and-shoot that many pros use as a back-up is the Canon Powershot S95. I'm a pro, and I never liked anything except my DSLR until I got this camera. It is pocket size and easy to use, but is full of features and has a large sensor (the thing that makes pictures better) and image stabilization. It also does 1080p video.

I love it, and can't wait to try it out on my cruise next week.

I second the Canon S95. It is the best point and shoot camera out there right now. It takes great photos outside but more importantly, it takes incredible low light photos inside without a flash (like when taking pictures in the dinning room of your table mates). The waterproof point and shoot cameras don't even come close to the S95 in picture quality. To be honest, all underwater photos look pretty much the same (one piece of coral or fish looks like pretty much any other) and require a lot of post processing to get the colors correct anyway (everything has a green tint and no red tones).

Scott

I second the Canon S95. It is the best point and shoot camera out there right now. It takes great photos outside but more importantly, it takes incredible low light photos inside without a flash (like when taking pictures in the dinning room of your table mates). The waterproof point and shoot cameras don't even come close to the S95 in picture quality. To be honest, all underwater photos look pretty much the same (one piece of coral or fish looks like pretty much any other) and require a lot of post processing to get the colors correct anyway (everything has a green tint and no red tones).

Scott

I agree that the Canon S95ES is the best point and shoot camera out today and worth every penny of the $390 list price (yes I read and believe Ken Rockwell's website). I have had one for a few months and love it for out and indoor photos, but the OP mentioned waterproof, and purchasing the Canon for $390+- and a waterproof case for another $240 (unless you buy one of the baggie under water cases) is a lot of money. DW and I both want to carry a camera, I do not want to lug the DSLR around on a cruise, so we already had the S95 and then purchased the Panasonic DMC-TS2 (granted lower quality photos than the Canon but still good vacation photos) to get the waterproof and "beach proof" feature. Way too many choices out there...it is whatever your budget can afford. A camera like the Panasonic has come compromises, but it is waterproof. :)

Before my cruise in three weeks, I need to buy a new digital camera! So many of you have posted great pics, so I wondered if I could get some recommendations of the cameras you love! I'm looking for something that in a small, easily portable in a clutch or pouch in a beach bag. Though I know the best pictures come from cameras with large lenses, I know I will damage those or just not carry them. So, if you have such a camera you would recommend, please let me know! If you have a waterproof case for it too, that would be great info!

Thank you in advance!

My advice is to go to your local library and look at the latest issue of Consumer Reports that compares digital cameras. The do a great job of pointing out what is important, showing feature comparisons, and quality ratings. Since they don't accept advertising, and buy the products they test just like consumers (They don't get the ones the manufacturer has triple checked) INHO their evaluations are more accurate and less biased.

We bought, and have had great success with, the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 which is waterproof to 10 meters, shock proof from something like 6 feet (but I hope not to test it) and very easy to use. :)

After a lot of on line research into small waterproof cameras, we bought this one and are very pleased with it. I would buy it again.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Archived