Anyone think they would hate cruising but ended up loving it?

Katie John

We are booked on our first cruise next month. I have always wanted to try a cruise so my husband reluctantly agreed to go, however, he thinks there will be too many people and that he will feel claustrophobic in our inside cabin. I just wondered if anyone was surprised at how much they enjoyed a cruise when they thought otherwise :)

My DH took me on my first cruise for college graduation.

He wanted a 7 night but I said no, let's do a 4 night. I don't want to be stuck on a ship for a whole week. LOL

By the second day, I did not want to get off the ship. I loved it!!

Unfortunately, I'm the opposite. I thought I would love cruising because I love to travel, but thus far have yet to really enjoy it. I wouldn't say I hate it, but trying to deal with a cruise company is world's more complicated and full of obnoxious rules than dealing with a resort and airline. And while I enjoy the different ports I don't like how you only get a few hours at each which doesn't leave a lot of time to explore and really experience where you're at. I would love to go on a cruise that spent 2-3 days at one port before moving on sometime.

I resisted going on a cruise for years. But the more I thought about it, I was hard pressed to remember someone saying the went on a cruise and hated it. So I went on my first cruise this past September and now I will likely go on a cruise a year.

What I like about is that it is carefree traveling. No finding hotels to stay at, no finding places to eat, etc. It is get your party onboard and relax with everyone else..

I personally prefer to eat at the MDR rather than the buffet because I think the food is better and it is less crowded. If the crowds get to be too much for you at times, there are places on the ship that you can get away without having to be hold up in your cabin. Enjoy!

We are booked on our first cruise next month. I have always wanted to try a cruise so my husband reluctantly agreed to go, however, he thinks there will be too many people and that he will feel claustrophobic in our inside cabin. I just wondered if anyone was surprised at how much they enjoyed a cruise when they thought otherwise :)

I admit, I worried about that very thing on my first cruise (HAL, Maasdam out of Norfolk in Nov 2006, 11 day cruise). It was my first time and we had an inside cabin. I worried a bit about seasickness because sometimes I can get motion sick in a car, I worried about feeling claustrophobic in the cabin, what if I hated it and it was 11 days.

And ironically enough, just about the time we got out Norfolk and out to sea, we hit some fairly heavy seas and that continued all night and through the next day. I didn't have a minute's discomfort from seasickness (although my roommate cannot say the same thing, poor dear :), but I walked like a drunken sailor all over the ship that day. From what the staff told me, a pretty hefty percentage of the passengers were feeling poorly.

I took my book up to the Crow's Nest for the morning. Very comfy and very deserted at that time of day. By lunch time, the roomie was ready to venture out and we went back to the Crow's Nest--being able to look forward helped her some and we also spent a good bit of time that afternoon outside (fresh air also helped).

That first day pretty much set the tone for the rest of our cruise--except without the seasickness. But we hardly spent any time in the room and there were plenty of places throughout the ship where you could get some relative solitude--the few people you found there were no more interested in invading your privacy than you were in invading theirs and of course on port days we were out and about off the ship. With the exception of going to bed, we were hardly ever in our cabin.

I never did get sea legs, which amused my cabin steward no end but other than that, we had a great time--seriously, seriously great time. I haven't been again, but have a cruise booked for next December on Carnival. I admit--I booked a balcony this time. But that in no way should be an indictment of inside cabins; I'm splurging because I just hit the big 5-0. :D

I booked our first cruise. Although he loves boats, DH was very leery of taking a cruise - I think he was convinced it would be all eating, drinking and gambling. In the weeks leading up to the cruise, he kept saying "I really don't think I'm going to like this." He was still hesitant even as we drove to the pier.

Then we boarded Carnival Victory and his attitude completely changed as soon as we entered the lobby. By the second day he was hooked. When we returned, he booked our second cruise on his own with very little input from me.:p

Me! I had a friend who was a travel agent and told her I was looking for something to do over spring break with the kids that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg (read - not Disney) and she suggested a cruise. I wasn't sure at all - I mean, being stuck on a boat? How fun could that be? (read - afraid of feeling trapped, bored, clausterphobic, etc. etc. etc. - oh, and with a 2 year old on top of it)

She talked me into it but we compromised on a 3 day for the first one, just in case we hated it, and added on a couple days in the Keys afterwards. I booked the next one while still on board the ship! Never had so much fun - and we had 2 inside cabins that didn't connect - hubby and I had to sleep in seperate rooms and we STILL had fun ... the kids were really little then - after that ship, we figured out better ways to do that, but let's just say thank goodness for sea days and the kids club, lol.

As you can see by my cruise history and upcoming bookings below, we're hooked. The first couple cruises were on NCL - and we loved them. Tried RCCL - enjoyed that, too - and then 'won' a "free" cruise (HA! ) on Carnival Sensation - was really worried about that, too, because of the 'reputation' as a party boat, but found it to be our favorite line overall. I would still cruise either of the other lines and would love to try a Regent or Disney cruise some day - just nothing quite like sitting on a deck chair gazing out at the line where the sea meets the sky and watching the waves roll by.

I feared that I would feel "stuck" on a ship, so the first one was only a 4 day in case I didn't like it. WHATEVER!!

Totally hooked now. Going on our 11th in the past 7 1/2 years this May.

I am the cruise planner. I arrange everything. DW just has to pack her bags.

I really did think that I would not like cruising. Boy was I wrong.

My DH did NOT want to go at all so on my first cruise my best friend and I went. After we got home and showed him all of the pictures and the things that we did, he went on the next 2 with me!! This year he is reluctantly staying home with the dogs as our normal dog-sitter can't watch them this year so it is me and my best friend again!!!

I am someone who doesn't like to sit still for very long so but he is content to sit and people watch so cruising is perfect for us!!!

I was a reluctant cruiser and love it now! We had a week's vacation booked for our anniversary but with both of us working 60+ hours, the vacay was three weeks away and we had nothing booked. At work, I sat near a cruise addict who convinced me to give it a try. I love to travel but had several misconceptions about cruising: eating all the time, nothing to do on the ship, not being able to get out and go etc. Add motion sickness to the list too.

Well, we booked an inside cabin on the Victory out of NYC to Canada. I wore sea bands, took ginger capsules and learned that Bonine really works when we hit the tail end of a hurricane. We spent great days in Portland and Nova Scotia and had our first port change.

We love cruising and are chasing Platinum. We have cruised with my work friend and her family, have taken family members with us and have met wonderful folks on our cruises.

We are cruise addicts!

Karen

I thought I would hate being "stuck" on the ship out in the middle of nowhere -that was five years ago, now to me it is the ultimate vacation. My DH said he would be bored and he will soon be on his 2nd with #3 already booked. He always has a hard time relaxing but on a cruise he can actually do it!!! I tell all of my friends to try it once and the ones that have are now hooked!!!

My first cruise was a Christmas gift from my son. I had never seriously thought about a cruise, so the idea was totally his. He paid for two people, so I could take someone along. I asked my sister, and I kind of had to talk her into it. She - and me to a degree - were concerned about being bored, not knowing much about shipboard life other than eating and shuffleboard. :p

From the first day aboard the late, great S. S. Norway, were were hooked.

Unfortunately, I'm the opposite. I thought I would love cruising because I love to travel, but thus far have yet to really enjoy it. I wouldn't say I hate it, but trying to deal with a cruise company is world's more complicated and full of obnoxious rules than dealing with a resort and airline. And while I enjoy the different ports I don't like how you only get a few hours at each which doesn't leave a lot of time to explore and really experience where you're at. I would love to go on a cruise that spent 2-3 days at one port before moving on sometime.

You might want to check out a cruise to Bermuda. Most cruise companies, as part of their arrangement with the government of Bermuda, need to spend at least 3 days in port. You get ample time to explore on your own, and there's a great public transportation system that gets you around the island economically.

Now I see that you're from Arizona, and most Bermuda cruises leave from NY, Boston or other east coast cities, so that might be an issue for you. Also, Bermuda, especially during the summer season, may be too humid for you.

Hope this helps!

I can't answer your question yet.

I have always resisted the requests to try a cruise but have finally given in and this week booked my first family cruise in September on The inpendence of the seas (mediterranean).

I've never liked the idea of being crowded or being unable to get 'out and about' when on holiday. Just the thought of being stuck on a ship was enough to put me off. I've also been put off by the formal nature of cruising.

I have to say that I have agreed to this cruise after much research and I go with an open and mind (and wallet having read the reviews). I'm really looking forward to it and am going to give it my best shot to enjoy it. Strangely enough, after the research I'm now really looking forward to the formal evenings. Having the whole family dress up to dine and then wander the decks sounds something special.

My wife took me kicking and screaming on the first cruise. I didn't want to be there at all. I would much rather have been on a beach somewhere. I remember driving down to Port Canaveral by Carnival transfer and as I was sitting in the bus I saw a sign go by that said "Daytona Beach". I sighed and thought that I should be going there. Anyway as we pulled up into the port I saw the Fantasy and thought, "well, I'm here, might as well give it a fair shot". I did and I quite enjoyed it. Its hard to say if your husband will but if he goes with an open mind, then the rate of people who enjoy cruising after their first is something like 92%. Just try and convince him to have an open mind. Don't pressure him into thinking he has to be excited to go. I wasn't and in fact if my wife had decided to cancel it last minute I would have been fine with it. I'm glad she didn't. One last thing, get to the port early - say around 10:15AM. You'll be among the first on board and won't have to wait in that ungodly lineup which starts at noon'ish. That wouldn't be a great start if he doesn't want to be cramped.

Just remember - no pressure, just tell him to keep an open mind.

If he doesn't like crowds then he is not going to be happy. Cruise ships are always crowded, much like wandering through shopping mall at a home. The cabin will probably not be an issue but the number of people trying to do the same thing at the same time may be an issue.

Another yes. I do not drink, often travel solo and am no fan of loud, obnoxious drunks and party party atmosphere.

Carnival had a Panama Canal trip (14 days) for a wonderful price for a single, and it made me a convert. Plenty of places for quiet enjoyment of the sea, and a few interesting and worthwhile ports to visit, in addition to the canal transit itself.

I can remember back in 1978 I wanted to try cruising for our vacation and my wife was not too happy with the idea. But after some arm twisting on my part, she said OK we'll try a cruise. :D Needless to say, we became "cruise addicts" and we're now looking forward to our next cruise in april on RCI's Freedom of the Seas which will be cruise number 55. :rolleyes: It has gotten to the point where we go on a cruise in april (her birthday) and then another cruise in december (my birthday). As far as we're concerned there is no doubt that you get the "best bang for the buck" on a cruise and I guess we'll be cruising for a long time to come. ;)

I definitely didn't think i would enjoy it as much as i did. I like spending time in ports, different cultures, etc...but after our 7 day cruise, i was hooked and wanting to do another one ASAP.

We are going again in March!

My Mrs.!!!!!:rolleyes:

Archived