Passport Card - San Juan to New York

kafitty

hello folks. While i am sure this is one of those topics that has been beaten to death, i haven't been able to nail down a "yes" or "no" answer and am sick of looking. :p

for the May 1st Caribbean Princess cruise, departing from San Juan and debarking in New York, would a Passport Card be acceptable I.D.? It's not "closed loop" so there is definitely a need for a passport, i am just unsure if the card would suffice. We are traveling by air from Boston to PR, then back up to NY, so neither the air nor sea travel would *technically* be International.

so many variables! if anyone has any experience with this or can give me the simple "Yes!" or "No!", it would be much appreciated! thank you!

Hi. I would ask Princess! Even better to get something from them in writing that says if it is acceptable to show if you are challenged at check-in.

You are leaving one US territory and arriving in another. I think the only non-US place on that itin is Antigua. 99 days!!!

Ok this is what I found on a government site. San Juan to New York qualifies for a passport.

Cruises Where a Passport is Required

• A passport or other approved document is required for cruises which begin in one U.S. port and return to a different U.S. port. For example, if a cruise starts in Seattle and ends in Seward, Alaska, a passport is required

Read more at Suite101: Cruises That Do Not Require a Passport: Passport Rules for Cruises on a Closed Loop Itinerary http://www.suite101.com/content/cruises-that-do-not-require-a-passport-a122500#ixzz1BhPfa1j1

San Juan is a US territory. You don't need anything to fly from the US to San Juan unless you are not a US citizen.

OP is not talking about flying, but about cruising. As I assume you will stop in other countires as you sail, as passport will be required. But, I agree, check with Princess.

Passport cards are good for land and sea travel. But, it's not good for cruises that start in one port and end in another. Passport cards are only good for closed loop cruises. I've used my passport card for round trip cruises starting and ending in FLL, but I needed my passport for a cruise that started in NYC and ended in Miami.

I thought the passport card was only good for land crossings. That is by foor or motor vehicle between the US and either Mexico or Canada.

Ok this is what I found on a government site. San Juan to New York qualifies for a passport.

Cruises Where a Passport is Required

• A passport or other approved document is required for cruises which begin in one U.S. port and return to a different U.S. port. For example, if a cruise starts in Seattle and ends in Seward, Alaska, a passport is required

Passport cards are good for land and sea travel. But, it's not good for cruises that start in one port and end in another. Passport cards are only good for closed loop cruises. I've used my passport card for round trip cruises starting and ending in FLL, but I needed my passport for a cruise that started in NYC and ended in Miami.

You are all incorrect. The passport card is good for entering the US by land or sea . Its only limitation is that it is not good for international air travel. It's perfectly good for "open jaw" cruises starting in one US port and ending in another US port. It is one of the "WHTI compliant" travel documents:

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_uspc.html

U.S. Border Crossing Requirements Have Changed – Make sure you are compliant today!

U.S. Passport Card – This is a limited-use international travel document valid for entry into the U.S. by land or sea from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean or Bermuda, per the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. It is not valid for international air travel.

Cost: Please visit the State Department's website at www.travel.state.gov for passport card fees.

Validity: 10 years for adults

5 years for children under age 16

Issued by: U.S. Department of State

Limitations: Not valid for international air travel

Info: www.travel.state.gov

Questions: Contact National Passport Information Center

(877) 4-USA-PPT

TDD/TTY (888) 874-7793

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/ready_set_go/whti_bg/

WHTI was successfully implemented on June 1, 2009 for entry into the U.S. by land and sea. U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports-of-entry are required to present a WHTI-compliant document such as a valid passport, U.S. passport card, Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST), or an Enhanced Driver’s License.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/ready_set_go/whti_bg/land_sea/

Document Requirements for Land and Sea Travel

U.S. citizens and nonimmigrant aliens from Canada entering the United States by land or sea are required to present a valid WHTI-compliant document, which include:

Passports

U.S. Passport CardsEnhanced Driver's Licenses

Trusted Traveler Cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST)

Military Identification Cards (for members of the U.S. armed forces on official orders)

U.S. Merchant Mariner Document (for U.S. citizens on official maritime business)

hello folks. While i am sure this is one of those topics that has been beaten to death, i haven't been able to nail down a "yes" or "no" answer and am sick of looking. :p

for the May 1st Caribbean Princess cruise, departing from San Juan and debarking in New York, would a Passport Card be acceptable I.D.? It's not "closed loop" so there is definitely a need for a passport, i am just unsure if the card would suffice. We are traveling by air from Boston to PR, then back up to NY, so neither the air nor sea travel would *technically* be International.

so many variables! if anyone has any experience with this or can give me the simple "Yes!" or "No!", it would be much appreciated! thank you!

Puerto Rico and New York are both part of the United States. You don't need a passport to go from Puerto Rico to New York.

However, you will need a passport to re-enter the United States if the ship visits any foreign port between Pureto Rico and New York, even if you do not get off the ship (St. Thomas is also part of the United States if you visit there).

I checked your itinerary, you are going to visit Antigua and Bermuda (as well as St. Thomas). As a result you will need a passport.

Puerto Rico and New York are both part of the United States. You don't need a passport to go from Puerto Rico to New York.

However, you will need a passport to re-enter the United States if the ship visits any foreign port between Pureto Rico and New York, even if you do not get off the ship (St. Thomas is also part of the United States if you visit there).

I checked your itinerary, you are going to visit Antigua and Bermuda (as well as St. Thomas). As a result you will need a passport.

You are incorrect. As documented in my previous post, with citations from three US govenment web pages, the OP's passport card is sufficient .

Further, both Bermuda and Antigua accept any form of documentation from cruise passengers that is acceptable to the US government for re entry.

I will just second what njhorseman has said; the passport card is suitable documentation for this cruise. The passport card can be used when crossing from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean by land or sea. (and obviously the latter two are only accessible by the sea route, not a land route).

Archived