Room service for 2 couples in different cabins

NoWhiners

Have to disagree with you here. We use room service a great deal when we are cruising but we always tip in cash for that over and above our daily charge.......

We tip for room service too, but, it is not mandatory.

Up to the individual if they choose to or not. Now, back to the topic :)

Would this work? Try having it "progressive" style: Appetizers in one cabin, main dish in another and dessert in a third cabin.

You might have trouble with the timing of deliveries. I've had the estimates of delivery time off by as much as one-half hour---in both directions! It would be a shame to have your entrées delivered to one cabin, and you're not even there yet! :eek:

However, if you're willing to draw the time out, and place your order shortly before you head to the next cabin (then find something to amuse yourselves until it arrives), then it could be a nice time.

Would this work? Try having it "progressive" style: Appetizers in one cabin, main dish in another and dessert in a third cabin.

You might have trouble with the timing of deliveries. I've had the estimates of delivery time off by as much as one-half hour---in both directions! It would be a shame to have your entrées delivered to one cabin, and you're not even there yet! :eek:

However, if you're willing to draw the time out, and place your order shortly before you head to the next cabin (then find something to amuse yourselves until it arrives), then it could be a nice time.

These are both excellent ideas--it never occurred to me to make it progressive!!

Ruth--you're right--we have had the same experience. i was thinking we could order appetizers for first cabin, and just have everyone be there at the requested delivery time. We can talk, have a glass of wine, etc. If we got cold appetizers it would be even easier.

Main course could be a tad tricky since we would want to order off MDR menu, so would have to place the order fairly early. I am thinking appetizers and main course at same time, then when this is delivered, order dessert for a little later. Might be the same as the appetizer though--cold might be more 'forgiving'. If we did it this way, maybe they could clear the first set of plates when they deliver dessert? Anyone have any experience with this aspect? Brian?

Thanks--keep these great ideas coming!!

ML

PS: Yes, we tip when we do this, but as I noted on an earlier post, when we were in Alaska in 2009, the guy who delivered our food wouldn't take a tip--but we made him take it!! I felt bad about that but it was the last night and I knew I wouldn't have another chance.

Keep in mind Room Service Stewards do not have cabin keys and cannot/will not leave an order if you are not present. If you order different courses, you have to be sure to be there to accept the delivery.

Keep in mind Room Service Stewards do not have cabin keys and cannot/will not leave an order if you are not present. If you order different courses, you have to be sure to be there to accept the delivery.

My friends just got back from a Panama Canal cruise and they wanted to enjoy breakfast on their verandah. The Roome Service person let himself in and delivered it to them on the verandah.

Can anyone else address the question of whether the Room Service person can get into the room to deliver if you are on the verandah?

It is possible the cabin steward let him in.

In all our many HAL cruises, every Room Service steward has never, ever let himself into our cabin. What does happen is when we open the door to his knock, he asks permission to enter. They always say "good morning, may I come in?"

Certainly he will bring your order to your verandah if that is what you wish.

My friends just got back from a Panama Canal cruise and they wanted to enjoy breakfast on their verandah. The Roome Service person let himself in and delivered it to them on the verandah.

Can anyone else address the question of whether the Room Service person can get into the room to deliver if you are on the verandah?

The wait staff who deliver the meals to the cabins do not have keys to the cabins.

We have seen when the men delivering the meals have had to knock and knock with no luck -- and if it was early in the morning -- they left. But if it was after the cabin stewards came on duty, they would have them open the cabin door.

• 3 weeks later...

In regards to Room Service letting themselves in to an empty cabin, it worked for me this past holiday cruise. We had brought some special bottles of Champagne to enjoy in the cabin on New Year's Eve. Called RS for ice and a wine cooler. "Would you like flutes as well?" :D You bet!

I left a note to please put the bottles into the cooler, with a tip alongside. Came back later to it chilling away, ready for a New Year's toast. A great start to 2011 was had :)

Well I am not to make this into a tipping pool thread but I will CORRECT you that ALL Carnival owned brands operating under the banners of HAL, Princess Cruises, Costa CruiseLine, AIDA, P&O UK and Australia and Carival CruiseLines Room Service Attendants do NOT share from the tip pool but rather have a higher guarantee wage that they pool from onboard and the other part comes from the expected tips to make up for there salaries. please go ahead and ask me how I know this?

The only exception to this is Seabourn as there size of ships prevent this type of arrangement.

Besides what I said, it's just customary and good manners IMHO to offer a tip for the service.

Anymore questions or would do you want to pass along the popcorn now?:eek:;):eek:

Thank you for sharing this with us and as it varies from what we have always been told (to some extent ;) ), I hope you won't mind my taking you up on your offer: Ask me How I Know.

How do you know?

Thanks.

Well I am not to make this into a tipping pool thread but I will CORRECT you that ... Room Service Attendants do NOT share from the tip pool but rather ...
We have occasionally seen our MDR waiter delivering Room Service. How does this square with your assertion?

Tipping is always appreciated by the Room Service staff as they are not part of the tipping pool.

While on board the Statendam our room service dinner was delivered by the "Yum Yum" man, who also was on duty in the Lido restaurant at lunch times. He was reluctant to take a tip, but we insisted.

Why would he not be part of the tipping pool?

Archived