Fold or Roll ?

rsbg1

Do you successful rollers roll clothing up individually or create a big stack of clothing and roll it all together?

If a stack, how big a stack? As much as possible (everything) or just a few garments for each roll?

I don't really do either. I place all of our clothes on hangers (all that can be hung up that is) and put them in plastic suit bags (a few in each), fold them over once and place them in the luggage. This keeps things from becoming wrinkled and takes up no more room that folding or rolling. When we get to the cabin, it's very easy to unpack, you just take them out and hang them up. The other few items that can't be hung on hangers I fold in the bottom of the suitcase. It makes it easy to unpack when we arrive at the ship, easy to repack that final day when you don't want to give up several hours trying to fit everything back in that took you days to get packed in the first place. It's worked great for us for the last 5 or more years, and I don't have to spend half the day re-hanging clothes when we get to our cabin. ;)

Rolling leaves less wrinkles. I roll shirts and shorts individually - place several of those rolls in one layer on a pair of pants that the legs are layed out longways in the suitcase. Fold the top of the pants over the roll layer. Repeat as needed. I also put all undies and socks in a gallon ziploc and zip almost closed - squeeze all the air out and zip tight - put them in with the rolled layers. Jackets can be rolled or used like the pants to hold the roll layers in place. Put belts and anything else that will fit inside the shoes and wrap each shoe in a plastic grocery bag. Put those next to the pant layers to brace the layers. Plastic also helps reduce wrinkles as friction causes wrinkles and plastic reduces friction.

I roll, fold, stuff, shove, crimp and whatever else I can figure out to fit everything I want to bring. Every shoe has something shoved in it and every pocket is filled. I think I pack so tightly that nothing can shift, so I don't get too many wrinkles at all.

I don't roll. I use sweater bags and blanket bags to fold items in -- the sweater bags are used for underware which we can just pop right into the drawers. I use plastic dry cleaner bags to cover the main clothes on their hangers-- suitcases are large enough that they don't have to be folded but once -- once on the ship - I just hang them up.

I don't roll .... I ZipLock!!!

I use the large (2 1/2 gallon) ZipLock bags.

I fold carefully, removing all wrinkles, slide short stacks of like items into the bags, close the zipper about 3/4 of the way, place each bag on the bed or another flat suface, and slide my forearm across the bag from bottom to top to remove the air, and finish closing the zipper.

My clothes arrive wrinkle free, and I just place the bags of clothes on the shelves in the closet, and remove items from them as needed.

The exceptions are my "dressy" clothes for formal night, which travel in the "garment bag" section of my 29" suitcase, cushioned by drycleaners bags, and my slacks and capri pants, which are folded lengthwise once, and cushioned at the fold point with a plastic bag for each pair.

I fold most everything into plastic bags and hang dresses, jackets, blouses, shirts, long pants etc in dry cleaner bags. Almost no wrinkles ever. I have never found that rolling works well, for me.

I always line my suitcases with dry cleaner bags. One on the bottom and up the sides, then pack, then a bag over the top and down the sides. If the suitcase gets left out in the rain on the airport tarmac or ship's pier, the contents stay dry.

When going on a destination trip, where I will unpack everything upon arrival, I usually fold all clothes together in a block. This seems to make very efficient use of my (carry-on) luggage space.

But it won't work on a road trip where you are "living out of" your suitcase.

I try to fold everything neatly, but halfway through the packing process I get lazy and just throw in all in there and then pack a travel iron. That way I don't have to worry about packing it neatly or wrinkles. =)

I wouldn't do this going on a ship. Irons are those items they take away during xray of luggage, they are strictly forbidden.

I try to fold everything neatly, but halfway through the packing process I get lazy and just throw in all in there and then pack a travel iron. That way I don't have to worry about packing it neatly or wrinkles. =)

But I do have a travel steamer that goes on EVERY trip. It is not a "banned" item and nobody has ever questioned it. Probably the best travel investment I have ever made. (About $30)

i fold all the 'day' clothes and then put them together--complete outfits in the 2.5 gal. zips and then i put all the 'evening' clothes in dry-cleaner bags and fold--little to no wrinkles everytime and i pack anywhere from 2 weeks ahead til the last minute when we end up stuffin everything in the bag to make it fit!

I do it all, fold, roll and pack into a garment bag. I've not perfected rolling (at all) so I'll only use that method on things I don't mind wrinkled, just like if I use compression bags I only use them for things like pajamas and underwear.

I swear by my rolling garment bag. It's huge, most people who look at it (I work part time in a luggage store) think the same thing...it would be too heavy. But I pack it full, it carries my husbands suit, most of his shirts, his slacks, my formal night cocktail dresses, a few of my tops and slacks, my formal night purse, socks, shoes (about 5 pair), his toiletry kit (a large one) and whatever else I can fit into it and it has never come close to 50 lbs.

We take that, a medium sized suitcase and one carry on that is shared.

I did roll my daughters clothing into a rolling duffel for her trip to Europe, but she doesn't care as much about wrinkles as we do. I like my clothes well pressed and the garment bag with clothing in dry cleaner bags has worked best by far for us. Neither of us wears T shirts, maybe that is the difference.

Archived