New York Departure...HELP !

taxmantoo

Just booked a cruise out of New York (Manhattan) and thought the logistics would be easy...WRONG! There are so many threads, all confusing and even some contradictory. We need help!

Will be flying in to Newark the day before the cruise.

1) Should we stay in Newark and just go to the pier the next day?

2) Good hotel in Newark in the 3 to 4 star range?

3) Average limo rate to get to the pier the next day?

Coming back the next week and spending a week in New York after debarkation.

1) Good hotel in Manhattan in the 4-star range close to Times Square, Broadway or Central Park?

Thanks!

1) Good hotel in Manhattan in the 4-star range close to Times Square, Broadway or Central Park?

Thanks!

Le Parker Meridian is very close to all three and the upper floors of the hotel have spectacular views of Central Park (it is two blocks away). It is steps to Times Square, Broadway, the subway, Rockefeller Center, Fifth Avenue Shopping, St. Patricks Cathedral. Short subway ride to Columbus Circle, Museum of Natural History and the museums of the Upper East Side. You can also hop an express train on the NR line on the corner of 57th and 7th Avenue to Times Square and get another express train downtown.

My favorite thing about Le Parker Meridian is The Burger Joint. Walk down the hall beside the check in desk and there is a dive burger joint in the hotel. There is always a long line and the burgers are worth it.

If you've ever seen Bethanny Getting Married on Bravo, it is the hotel she stayed in before her wedding.

If you can afford more, definitely splurge on The Four Seasons across 57th Street.

1) What date are you flying into Newark? Sept 3

2) What cruise line are you sailing - there are 3 port locations in the NY area Manhattan Pier - HAL

3) What exact dates will you be in NY after the cruise. Sept 11 - 16

Do you have a hotel budget? Yes, but that's our secret ;) Looking for 4- star range hotel with all amenities.

Still lots of time to plan, but we have 2 cruises and 2 land trips to England this year, so we need to be ready!

Still lots of time to plan, but we have 2 cruises and 2 land trips to England this year, so we need to be ready!

3) What exact dates will you be in NY after the cruise. Sept 11 - 16

Do you have a hotel budget? Yes, but that's our secret ;) Looking for 4- star range hotel with all amenities.

Just a heads up that your dates are in peak season so you'll pay $500+ for a four star hotel. If I'm not mistaken, your dates are exactly over Mercedes Benz Fashion Week which is headquartered now in Lincoln Center.

The Four Seasons is probably going to be over $1000.

Due to the proximity of your dates over Mercedes Benz Fashion Week, would you consider another part of Manhattan?

The Ritz Carlton Battery Park, The Hotel On Rivington (THOR), etc would be a better value for a four star hotel.

If money is no object, in no order these are my favorite top hotels in Manhattan.

St. Regis

Pierre

Mark

Carlyle

Plaza Athenee

Ritz Carlton Central Park

Mandarin Oriental

Four Seasons

Sounds like the sky's the limit for your NY hotel budget. If that's the case, I wouldn't stay at Newark Airport at all. There are no 4* hotels there - the best would probably be the Marriott property right in the middle of the airport. Newark Airport is not a vacation destination.

Why don't you book 1 night at whatever property you select for your post cruise stay and take a cab or car service directly into NYC when you arrive? That way you will be in NY already and only a short cab ride from the Manhattan terminal. If the hotel doesn't suit for some reason, then you would have an opportunity to change your post-cruise reservations.

I wouldn't delay in making some sort of decision - that is Fashion week time and NY hotel rooms can be pricey and scarce.

The sky may not be the limit, but having a "secret" budget is not useful either. I'm not prying - just being practical. New York hotels are expensive, so it is impossible to give reasonable advice without some guidelines such as budget, dates, number of people, number of beds, etc.

Would you consider bidding on a 4* hotel on Priceline or Hotwire in a midtown central location? Hotwire shows the hotel amenities and by looking at betterbidding.com you can get an idea of what hotels would be likely. For example on Sept 3 the Hilton at Newark airport is on Hotwire for $109 + tax. For Sept 11-16 there is a 4* hotel for $383 + tax in the midtown central area. Can't tell which hotel this would be - probably the Shoreham or possibly Le Parker Meridien.

Thank you both for your suggestions. Lots to think about there but we are already comitted to that specific week.

p.s. The sky is not the limit :D

I whole heartily agree with 138east that do not wait to book your hotel.

Not only is it fashion week, which brings in 100,000+ people to Manhattan but it is also peak conference and convention season. Hotels will go fast and sell out.

I would make a reservation somewhere and not drag my feet on this.

Inventory will only get more expensive and more scarce as time goes on.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Just booked a cruise out of New York (Manhattan) and thought the logistics would be easy...WRONG! There are so many threads, all confusing and even some contradictory. We need help!

Will be flying in to Newark the day before the cruise.

1) Should we stay in Newark and just go to the pier the next day?

2) Good hotel in Newark in the 3 to 4 star range?

3) Average limo rate to get to the pier the next day?

Thanks!

What you should do depends on how you plan to spend the time between when your plane lands and you board the ship.

I have cruised out of New York twice. Once from Manhattan and once from Brooklyn. Both times I fly into and out of JFK and both times I stayed in hotels in Manhattan. The first time I arrived two days before because I wanted to spend a day exploring the city. The second time I only arrived one day early, but picked a hotel near Times Square because I wanted to see Times Square.

My first stay was at a three star hotel in the Theater district. My second stay was at a very small hotel two blocks from Times Square.

Additional heads-up: in addition to Fashion Weeks and 9/11's 10th Anniversary, please keep in mind that the U.N. General Assembly Session officially open on 20th September 2011 in NYC, but there are numerous events the week prior to all over the city - meaning that "prime" hotel rooms were likely booked if not sold out/gone, especially in the pricey mid-town East area.

Taxis and car services could be harder to find and hail on the streets of mid-town with the annual massive traffic jams, street closures and security measures in place, not to mention the motorcades of the POTUS and other heads of States coming from/going to area airports are truely traffic stopper. :eek:

It would be wise to plan ahead and locked in hotel bookings now, if you can find a better deal and priceline it, etc. - you can always cancel the regular confirmed reservations. :D

Archived