Remember Those Little Bottles

dag144

This is a great website. thank you for sharing with the rest of us :):)

I have shopped on minimus.biz for years and have always been very satisfied with their service. They are dependable and reliable and the products always arrive exactly as ordered.

I always like to hear a recommendation if I am trying a new website so hope this helps someone.

The Elemis products are pricey; but we can buy all we want. Click here.

On my last cruise, the Spa had shampoo for sale, so I snagged it :) But none of the little soap bars. I can't find those on the website, either. I purchased some on ebay, but they ended up being some sort of mutant-Elemis-soap. I love the soap and am hoping the Spa has some for sale on my next cruise.

When I first started cruising just a few years ago, HAL assigned just 12 cabins per steward...

...and the Deluxe Suite stewards had even fewer.

Last I heard, there are now 32 cabins per pair of stewards!

Brian - Try 37 and that included a few suites. These guys are totally over worked. When we first sailed with HAL (1986) it was 12 cabins per steward.

Brian - Try 37 and that included a few suites. These guys are totally over worked. When we first sailed with HAL (1986) it was 12 cabins per steward.

In those years, there were no concierges so cabin stewards did many of the suite guests' requests in addition to delivering Room Service. There were no dedicated Room Service Stewards.

This is NOT to say I don't think the cabin stewards work very, very hard as we all know they do.

Is it safe to assume that the increase in cabins served per attendant on the various cruise lines (or, more likely, team of 2 these days) is a result of economics or is space needed to house them a larger factor? As room stewards and waiters apparently derive most of their income from tips, are they being stretched so much to increase their income because hotel service charges are not keeping pace with inflation or the declining dollar? How does the heavier workload impact hiring efforts? (Rumor has it that it is now much more difficult to attract quality help than previously.)

Does anyone know how many tables/seats the average waiter covers these days and/or in days gone by?

While I understand the need to watch the bottom line, the increasing workloads make for an increasingly anonymous experience for all concerned. Not sure if that helps attract and retain good employees, builds brand recognition or furthers commoditization of the product.

(Just some idle thoughts.)

EDIT: Just saw Sail7Sea's response - adds important additional info, I think.

In those years, there were no concierges so cabin stewards did many of the suite guests' requests in addition to delivering Room Service.

I seem to recall being told that 12 cabins/steward number on my first cruise which was aboard Oosterdam which has always had a Neptune Lounge - I don't recall room service being delivered by the same person, but then they may have switched off on such tasks back then.

Is it safe to assume that the increase in cabins served per attendant on the various cruise lines (or, more likely, team of 2 these days) is a result of economics or is space needed to house them a larger factor?

Purely Economics: The HAL ships were all built to accommodate a full complement of stewards and waiters...

...it's been cost-cutting all the way down the line.

By the time Oosterdam joined the fleet, HAL had long since started having dedicated Room Service Stewards. I'm going back to the days referred to when there were no Neptune Lounges (Rotterdam VI and Amsterdam were not yet in the fleet) and cabin stewards delivered Room Service.

On almost every cruise since they started having Room Service Stewards, we have the same steward for the whole cruise. It is a rare exception (maybe it was time for his vacation or he bacame ill etc) that it isn't the same person. We always tip when he comes just in case we don't see him again.

Theoretically. I can't help but wonder how long it will be before folks start bringing their regular sized bottles from home (empty) and filling them up right before they disembark.

I'll bring my own shampoo & conditioner as their stuff is not kind to my hair as well as my own face washing solution. Won't mind liquid soap for hand washing. Also use my own bath gel as theirs makes me itchy.:eek:

By the time Oosterdam joined the fleet, HAL had long since started having dedicated Room Service Stewards. I'm going back to the days referred to when there were no Neptune Lounges (Rotterdam VI and Amsterdam were not yet in the fleet) and cabin stewards delivered Room Service.

Thanks for clearing that up for this relative Newbie

;)

This is a great website. thank you for sharing with the rest of us :):)

You're welcome. Another cruiser had posted it in another forum and several of us found it very helpful so when travel sizes were mentioned in this thread I thought I should also share it with others. I'm glad you found it helpful.

Hi Jacqui;

Hoping that you might drop a fellow Canadian (and first time HAL cruiser this March with a question or two) a line here:

stephenlewis@rogers.com

I've seen some comments (and asked some questions) on the HAL and Roll Call Boards and am still concerned about stuff.

You seem to be the one with the greatest experiences and I don't want to gum up the board more than necessary!

Thanks.

I wouldn't say i have the greatest experiences - i can think of a lot more on the boards, but I will gladly email you. :D

Got off on 1-23-11...

1 sm bottle of lotion

2 bars of soap

1 shower cap

3 dispensers in shower

Had a veranda cabin

Room steward was a single,

had 17 cabins (all did) on decks 6 and 7.

Two stewards had 30 cabins

on deck 3, 2 and 1.

That's how it was on the Zaandam, could

be different on other Holland ships.

I seem to recall being told that 12 cabins/steward number on my first cruise which was aboard Oosterdam which has always had a Neptune Lounge - I don't recall room service being delivered by the same person, but then they may have switched off on such tasks back then.

Purely Economics: The HAL ships were all built to accommodate a full complement of stewards and waiters...

...it's been cost-cutting all the way down the line.

On almost every cruise since they started having Room Service Stewards, we have the same steward for the whole cruise. It is a rare exception (maybe it was time for his vacation or he bacame ill etc) that it isn't the same person. We always tip when he comes just in case we don't see him again.

I can remember when a cabin steward had only 9 cabins in the Deluxe Suite category.

As for room service -- in 2001 -- we had room service delivered each morning on the Ryndam in Alaska -- and the cabin steward did NOT deliver the breakfasts -- it was a worker from the dining room assigned to do this.

Brian -- yup cost cutting!!

Got off on 1-23-11...

1 sm bottle of lotion

2 bars of soap

1 shower cap

3 dispensers in shower

Had a veranda cabin

Room steward was a single,

had 17 cabins (all did) on decks 6 and 7.

Two stewards had 30 cabins

on deck 3, 2 and 1.

That's how it was on the Zaandam, could

be different on other Holland ships.

That is interesting that on the lower decks you have only 1 cabin steward while on the upper desks there were 2 cabin stewards.

Thanks for the information.

I'll bring my own shampoo & conditioner as their stuff is not kind to my hair as well as my own face washing solution. Won't mind liquid soap for hand washing. Also use my own bath gel as theirs makes me itchy.:eek:

We also bring our own shampoo - conditioner - and hand soap -- DH takes many medications -- and all the stuff contained in the soaps caused a reaction. He broke out in a rash -- and like you -- itchy.

I can remember when a cabin steward had only 9 cabins in the Deluxe Suite category.

As for room service -- in 2001 -- we had room service delivered each morning on the Ryndam in Alaska -- and the cabin steward did NOT deliver the breakfasts -- it was a worker from the dining room assigned to do this.

How do the fares compare between the days of 9 per cabin and now? (Just asking, not flaming! ;) )

KK,

You are way far behind the times about which I am speaking. ;) Like 10 years !

We go back on HAL to the very early 90's. Our first cruise was Noordam III before the first "S" ship, Statendam, was introduced. We sailed Statendam from San Juan for Panama Canal when she was brand new.

How do the fares compare between the days of 9 per cabin and now? (Just asking, not flaming! ;) )

Yes, that's a very good point.

But the prices aren't so low for the very high category cabins. Of course, no one has to book Suites if they don't feel the price is worth it. But many, many cabins are sometimes sold for what (IMO) are ridiculously low fares. There have to be commensurate cuts in costs.

Do people actually count how many cabins stewards are taking care of?

I cannot ever remember in all our years of cruising feeling the need to ask our stewards how many other cabins? Not when there clearly were more stewards and not now as they work in pairs and it seems they are responsible for more cabins.

We have sailed these same ships in the same cabins for many years. If they needed a certain (higher) number of stewards taking care of them 15+ years ago, why does the same ship, the same deck, the same cabin require what appears to be a considerable reduction in staffing? Didn't they think the stewards 15+ years ago worked hard enough then? :confused: Do the stewards today have too much work?

... why does the same ship, the same deck, the same cabin require what appears to be a considerable reduction in staffing? Didn't they think the stewards 15+ years ago worked hard enough then? :confused: Do the stewards today have too much work?

I can't help but wonder if this was a deal by the stewards, their union, and HAL. Stewards wanted more money. HAL couldn't give them more money; but more could be made if the stewards had a greater number of people in their "universe" to provide the daily service charge. Therefore, work a little harder ... make more money.

I can't help but wonder if this was a deal by the stewards, their union, and HAL. Stewards wanted more money. HAL couldn't give them more money; but more could be made if the stewards had a greater number of people in their "universe" to provide the daily service charge. Therefore, work a little harder ... make more money.

Jim, I honestly think you hit the nail on the head!!!

Also with the economy there are many crew members that did not return for another contract because in their own home countries they are able to start making more money at high end resorts.

The crew do have a strong Union that I am sure that HAL could not just increase the number of cabins without going thru their Union.

Interesting idea, Jim.

Perhaps.

Fewer people sharing in the tipping pool and more opportunity for 'over and above' tipping. I sincerely hope they are actually getting better tips as they certainly earn it. IMO

Archived