Your own wine in public areas?

lindylee0803

You can get wine glasses from any bar The stewards will be glad to get you ice bucket too as well as cork screws It helps if you leave give them a little tip up front.You will be surprised what a few bucks will do.Just don't bring the bottle with you.

This will be my first trip on HAL - is it acceptable to bring your own glass of wine to a public/common area on the ship? Thanks

We have brought ours, both glasses and full bottles, to the aft pool many times.

When bringing a bottle, the waiters will bring you glasses and an ice bucket if required. We have only been asked to pay a corkage fee once in this situation, but were ready to pay when asked.

This will be my first trip on HAL - is it acceptable to bring your own glass of wine to a public/common area on the ship? Thanks

Can you do it? Yes. Would I do it? No. Whose acceptance are you looking for?

I don't think anyone would know that you poured the glass in your cabin rather than purchase it from HAL (unless they maybe see you walk out of your cabin glass-of-wine-in-hand).

You can get wine glasses from any bar The stewards will be glad to get you ice bucket too as well as cork screws It helps if you leave give them a little tip up front.You will be surprised what a few bucks will do.Just don't bring the bottle with you.

There should be wine glasses and a cork screw in you cabin; just ask your steward for it if it isn't.

I don't think anyone would know that you poured the glass in your cabin rather than purchase it from HAL (unless they maybe see you walk out of your cabin glass-of-wine-in-hand).
I think it's a pretty good bet when you see someone with a nearly-full glass, rather than a standard pour, that it just came from their cabin. ;) Also it has been said many times on this board that the room glasses are a different size from the MDR and bar glasses, so the crew can tell, but I've never checked that out.

We have frequently had wine (our own) and appetizers in our cabins prior to dinner and then refilled our glasses and walked to the dining room with the glasses in hand and sat down for dinner with never a comment from anyone.

I've seen people have glass of wine (or two) at the bar and then head down to the dining room, partially filled glass in hand as well.

Ok, please don't flame me but I'm about to disagree ;)

Dh will never let us carry a glass from the suite. First of all, we think HAL's policy of allowing us to bring wine on board to consume in our CABIN is very, very nice. :):) If we want a drink of our wine, we have it in our room/suite/balcony/whatever. Second of all dh doesn't like the idea of spilling wine as the ship moves.

if we are going to have a drink in the lounge, ocean bar, listening to the strings or at dinner, we buy HAL's. We just think it's right. But that's us:D

I'm mostly with you kazu. However, we often take a glass of wine from the cabin to enjoy at the rail, watching the ocean, as we don't (normally) have a balcony. When HAL discontinued the wine cards, DH suggested we could take a glass from the cabin for dinner. "As a shareholder in the company, dear, I insist we pay corkage!" was my reply :) On our next cruise, we'll need 3 or 4 bottles for the dining room. I'm happy to pay the $54 or $72 to drink wine I know we enjoy.

Can you do it? Yes. Would I do it? No. Whose acceptance are you looking for?

I'm not looking for anyone's acceptance. I was just wondering if this is something that is commonly done on HAL, as it is on Carnival.

I'm not looking for anyone's acceptance. I was just wondering if this is something that is commonly done on HAL, as it is on Carnival.

You asked if it was acceptable, maybe you meant to ask if it is common practice on HAL. :)

As I said, it is not easy to distinguish the own-wine drinkers from the HAL-wine drinkers. How does one recognize own-wine drinkers on Carnival or how is it determined that is is commonly done?

Just asking, not flaming. ;)

I don't know what CowPrincesse's rationale is, but one rationale could be that some of us don't feel at "arms' length" with HAL as we would with a mass-market line, but more as though we and HAL are, in many respects, in this together. When the wine cards were cancelled, some passengers might feel that they were a little bit more at "arms' length" with HAL, and therefor a little less obligated to consider HAL's and their own interests together rather than just their own.

I didn't, after the first half-hour or so, but I can understand others who did. I used to enjoy using my wine card as a sort of knowledgeable past passenger's advantage (a pitiful form of vanity, I know), now I have to find other pitiful ways to express my vanity.

I'm mostly with you kazu. However, we often take a glass of wine from the cabin to enjoy at the rail, watching the ocean, as we don't (normally) have a balcony. When HAL discontinued the wine cards, DH suggested we could take a glass from the cabin for dinner. "As a shareholder in the company, dear, I insist we pay corkage!" was my reply :) On our next cruise, we'll need 3 or 4 bottles for the dining room. I'm happy to pay the $54 or $72 to drink wine I know we enjoy.

And the rationale behind that is? :confused:

If you are going to quote me, please quote the entire "thought", not just a few words that can easily be misinterpreted by those who don't read the entire thread.

I don't feel qualified to answer on behalf of my DH.

Just us.........

We would not bring wine from our cabin out and about around the ship. If we want a glaas or wine when in a lounge or the dining room, we take out our card and purchase what we want.

Just us..........

I don't know what CowPrincesse's rationale is, but one rationale could be that some of us don't feel at "arms' length" with HAL as we would with a mass-market line, but more as though we and HAL are, in many respects, in this together. When the wine cards were cancelled, some passengers might feel that they were a little bit more at "arms' length" with HAL, and therefor a little less obligated to consider HAL's and their own interests together rather than just their own.

I didn't, after the first half-hour or so, but I can understand others who did. I used to enjoy using my wine card as a sort of knowledgeable past passenger's advantage (a pitiful form of vanity, I know), now I have to find other pitiful ways to express my vanity.

I agree Pettifogger -- in many ways, people who repeatedly cruise HAL may feel some sort of partnership with the company. I think that it is important to do what we can to support the company, if we want the things we enjoy to continue. We make a point of booking some (not all) shorex through HAL, spending some money in the lounges, the coffee bar, etc, feeling that "profit" is not a dirty word :)

Ok, please don't flame me but I'm about to disagree ;)

Dh will never let us carry a glass from the suite. First of all, we think HAL's policy of allowing us to bring wine on board to consume in our CABIN is very, very nice. :):) If we want a drink of our wine, we have it in our room/suite/balcony/whatever. Second of all dh doesn't like the idea of spilling wine as the ship moves.

if we are going to have a drink in the lounge, ocean bar, listening to the strings or at dinner, we buy HAL's. We just think it's right. But that's us:D

Agree wholehertedly. When this cruiseline encourages its' pax to enhance their cruise experience with limiltless wine/beer in their stateroom, when other companies don't allow this, why not stay within reasonable boundaries?

Marilyn

Archived