LA to Hawaii: Too many sea days?

Deb in Markham

Hi,

My mom turns 75 this fall (October 5th) and has been saving to take my sister and her husband as well as my family (husband and 15-year-old son) on a Hawaiian cruise. (I know--how lucky can you get!!? Thanks mom!!!)

From reading these boards, it sounds like the Golden is the way to go.

The one thing I'm "concerned" :confused: about are the four sea days both there and back. On the one hand they sound like heaven, on the other hand I wonder!

We've cruised twice before (7-day Caribbean cruises on Disney) and really enjoyed the sea days. In fact, the sea days were some of our favourite days!

I'd love to hear what you think or have to say.

Thanks!!!

We like Princess better (food, service), but we did NCL for Hawaii. DH does not like sea days and even I would not like so many in a row. Plus crossing the Pacific would not be pleasant with motion sickness. NCL has 2 days in Honolulu seeing Pearl Harbor and then 7 days seeing 4 islands and then fly home. It was a great cruise! Get a suite if you can. Much less expensive than a Hal or Princess suite and it included great food for breakfast and lunch in Cagneys Rest.

The best way to enjoy the sea days is to stay busy. Check the Patter daily and see what is happening. The cultural events are such a good introduction to the Islands. Sign up for lei making or ukelele lessons. I signed up for the lei making and I badgered my DH to join me. It turned out he was not the only male there. He loved it and we wore our leis to dinner and felt very Hawaiian;). If none of this interests you, remember to bring some books. Of course, there is always bingo!!!:eek:

We went in February to see the whales in Maui and it was pretty cold. I hope you choose a warmer time of year which most likely will be more crowded with families. Your son will probably make some new friends in the teen area. It would have been nicer if we could have laid out by the pool but it was too cold. Remember if you choose winter, there will be more older folks due to school being in session.

I hoe this helps.

Too many sea days for me back to back. Ugh.

Talk to your mom. Is she good with them? She would be the one I would worry about the most. Next, the 15 year old son. You know him best. You know your family best.

BUT, there are many that do like the sea days and wish for as many as possible. Just a personal preference for people. We did NCL simply because of sailing from HNL. Flew in two days early to site see and all worked out well for us.

Hope you make the right choice that works for you and have a great time on your cruise.

I really enjoyed the sea days on the way over because there was a wide variety of things to do that got me in the mood for Hawaii like Hula dancing, and there were a lot of things to do related to Hawaii. On the return trip I did find the sea days more challenging but this was because I was anticipating going back to work, not the cruise!

Sea days on Princess are filled with excellent lectures, lessons, games, friends, and fun!

We're going in early October, so I hope it will still be warm. I know Southern California can still be warm in October.

My mom is actually the one looking forward to the sea days. We live in the Greater Toronto Area and my sister and her family live in Southern California as does my mom. We'll spend some of the time just catching up.

I'll look into the NCL trip too. Thanks for the suggestion--might be an option.

Thanks for all your thoughts. It's always nice to get someone else's point of view. I appreciate it. ;)

For me, the more sea days the better:) Absolutely love them. I've done two 18 day west bound Med-T/A's with six sea days at the end. I workout in the gym, walk around the decks, or just hang out. Can't get enough of the sea days. If I hadn't booked another Med-T/A on the Ruby this October, I'd be sailing on that 28 day r/t from L/A (October 2011) on the Sapphire. 18 of the 28 days are sea days with 8 in a row at the end.....:):):)

Bob

We just did this cruise for the second time last month. We love sea days and there was so much to do on Princess. This is a great cruise for those who love sea days (and are experienced cruisers...I wouldn't welcome this cruise as a first cruise, but we did meet a couple who were on their first one and can't wait to do anything -- I met her through the hula lessons).

Seriously if your mother likes sea days, this would be a much better cruise than the NCL one, which doesn't really emphasize activities from talking to someone who did that cruise.

One thing to know for your son is that there may not be many kids onboard. Most kids would be in school and two weeks missing school for a cruise would certainly be frowned upon by most school districts. We went during winter break and there was a fair number of teens (my girl is 13).

We did the 14-day Hawaii cruise from LA on the Golden Princess two years ago.

The seas from LA to Hawaii were a bit rough for a few days, but we were okay and enjoyed the seas days. Same going back. The ship was beautiful, we enjoyed the service and food, and the trip was very nice.

However, we did not feel we have enough time in Hawaii. After investing 14-days in a trip to Hawaii, we ended up having 4 or 5 days there. We felt we only scratched the surface.

If we had it all to do over again, we would fly to Hawaii and take a local cruise. Or, take a one-way cruise and spend some time on land.

We did this cruise in 2008. It was our first ever cruise. My DH was concern about the number of sea days. Turns out we loved them. Can't wait to take this cruise again. The activities onboard kept us as busy as we wanted. We also loved the days were as my DH puts it " Busy doing nothing". No one person can tell you how you will feel about the down time but look at it as 2 different vacations one with relaxation and one with many tours and activities. Enjoy!:)

You will get a variety of opinions on this subject, but as someone mentioned above, if your dear mom is paying for the trip, then I think HER wishes should be the priority here. At 75 years old, sea days (with her family aboard) would be very nice. Even if this might not be your ideal cruise itinerary, it should be up to mom to decide. Just my .02... :)

We are repeating this cruise after a couple years in October. My folks want us to go with them. They are also doing it in April. I guess we all like sea days.

My parents are seniors, heck so are we. They are just older. And we like to do a cruise a year together. Mom last night was trying to book a zip line thing on a cruise for dad. Do it while he can. They are both over 70. But she thought the Zip Line cruise in Alaska might be to close to the Hawaii cruise. I was well it is not like you two have to go to work.

But if your parents want to cruise with you go for it.

We always take the longer cruises 20 plus days next one is on the Sun 25 days then 39 days on the Diamond cruising is going from place to place on a ship and enjoying where you go and the life on board a ship and these days the entertainment is there to use or not use on sea days have a swim read a book movies and the eating of course the other choice is just to fly to where you want to go for us the sea days is the holiday and the the ports are the extras

David and Maureen :D

This was our first cruise with more than a day or two of sea days and we wished we had more. There was so much to do, we couldn't fit it all in. The crossing was fine..maybe lucked out, but glad for the smooth crossing. We also had no rain, except for our day in Ensenada, which didn't matter because we stayed on board...trying to do some of the things we hadn't had time for.

We were worried, but no need, as the CD kept us very very busy.

We actually thought we would sleep in and get caught up on rest, but we couldn't, because we would have missed something fun! We are in our 60's (well, I just hit that number on the cruise) so I'm pretty sure your mom will find plenty to do.

We did it over Christmas and New Years a few years ago. The weather wasn't great for 2 days both going and coming so as much as we enjoy sea days...well we did find it a bit long. However, we likely do it again someday.

You've just hit on my other concern--the crossing. My sister gets car sick if she doesn't sit up front in a car. We've cruised before, but she hasn't. I get sea sick too, but I took some Gravol and was fine. How rough can it be? Anyone have any idea what the October seas are like?

Thanks for all your responses. I appreciate them!;)

I have done this cruise 3 times so far, and definitely will again. I find the sea days relaxing, which is my cruising style. If I were the type of person who needs to keep busy, I would have no problem finding somehing to do, because the activities schedule offers plenty, some of which are Hawaii themed.

However, we did not feel we have enough time in Hawaii. After investing 14-days in a trip to Hawaii, we ended up having 4 or 5 days there. We felt we only scratched the surface.

If we had it all to do over again, we would fly to Hawaii and take a local cruise. Or, take a one-way cruise and spend some time on land.

We did a one way cruise for our first Hawaii cruise on Radiance of the Seas followed by a six day stay on Oahu before flying back to the mainland. We had the advantage of having done land based vacations previously on all of the islands visited and this was great for our friends who cruised with us on this their first visit to the Hawaiian Islands.

The cruise director's staff had plenty of activities and events organized to make our five sea days very enjoyable. Also there was the Meet & Mingle get together and our roll call group had organized events like a cabin crawl with an optional poker run, gift exchange, Cinco de Mayo parade and a shared slot pull. In fact we had to organize our sea days carefully in order to do all we wanted to do.

The only disadvantage to an one way cruise from the mainland USA is that we had to embark in Ensenada, Mexico to meet PVSA regulations. The return one way was to Vancouver, BC was was IMO better as we are Canadian and it is a major travel center thus is easier to return from.

We are looking forward to again cruising, both ways this time, to Hawaii on the Golden Princess in a couple of weeks. Also we also enjoyed very much the eight sea days on our Grand Princess TA cruise last Spring because of the onboard activities and events.

Archived