Live From The Golden 02-02-11 to 02-16-11 R/T To Hawaii

Woobstr112G

Bob How are the seas ? I am leaving March 2 on the Golden and will be on Baja Deck, Mid-ship....A little worried about some posts I have read about rough seas on other threads. Did ok to Alaska but was a little dizzy still after taking meclizne. I am enjoying your posts and getting excited for my cruise.......Have fun and Cong. on the chef table.

It's not glass, but it definitely not that bad. Course, rough seas really don't bother me.....

Bob

Bob How are the seas ? I am leaving March 2 on the Golden and will be on Baja Deck, Mid-ship....A little worried about some posts I have read about rough seas on other threads. Did ok to Alaska but was a little dizzy still after taking meclizne. I am enjoying your posts and getting excited for my cruise.......Have fun and Cong. on the chef table.

If your worried about rough seas than this is not a cruise for you, we have done it 3 times and at least 4 to 5 days of rough seas.We have gone in march and april twice and its about the same, others have posted that in oct. it seems to be better. You will encounter a lot of wind the first 2 days going and the last 2 days coming back. They sometimes have to close the upper decks because the winds are so strong.

I was on the cruise before this one, January 19-2February... Had 1 day of rough seas going out, returning it was like glass.... No rough seas at all.. 80 -85 degrees on the islands each day, not a drop of rain... What a great cruise... Loved every minute of it.

Did Chef's table, what an experience, and the Crown Grill, great food. Dining room service was outstanding and food was better than expected.

Good morning from the Golden Princess. Today is our final sea day before we hit Hawaii. It is also Super Bowl Sunday. The game will be broadcast on MUTS and in all public lounges. Unfortunately the type of public license they have from the NFL prohibits broadcast in the individual cabins.

Yesterday was another great day at sea. I made good use of the gym in the early morning and then just hung out for the rest of the day. Still having the pesky problem of my Princess Visa being declined for authorization despite several calls to Barclays who assured me all fraud protection holds were lifted.

The food in the MDR continues to impress me. The variety and quality continue to be very good to excellent. I even have several cups of (:eek:) syrup coffee with my meal. The deserts are quite tasty. Haven’t tried Sabatinis or the Crown grill yet. Hopefully will be doing at least the CG on the way back from Hawaii. I did have one bit of good news in our table head waiter did some checking and found we were selected for the second chef’s table on the night we leave Maui headed to Ensenada. I am totally stoked.

Last night we saw illusionist Alexander in the Princess theater. We had no trouble finding a great seat close to the stage. Movies shown yesterday were Pearl Harbor (MUTS) at 0900, Killers (MUTS) at 1500, The Social Network at 1900/2200 hrs. Piazza entertainment consisted of Musical melodies of the Ruben Café Quintet, and Cube Spinning & Balance. There were also several Hawaiian themed classes along with computer classes offered via the scholarship@sea program. I’ve been impressed so far at the quantity and variety of classes offered under the scholarship@sea program.

Nothing much planned for today except watching the Super Bowl somewhere on the ship. Tomorrow in Hilo we are taking a ship sponsored excursion to see some volcanoes. This excursion is the one that only skirts the lava tube. Skipped the more extensive tour to lessen the strain on DW’s back.

That’s all for now. Hope all have a great day…..:

Bob

We ar also part of the ruby Oct 19 cruise, looking forward to meeting you.

Is ther anything I can do to help you while the Golden is here on Oahu? (only live about 20 min from the Port) Would be happy to show you two around a bit)

Aloha,

Bev

I'm enjoying your reports, Bob. Glad to hear that you and Holli will be doing the Chef's Table. I know you really wanted to be able to do it. It sounds like the weather has been pretty good too. I hope that you have a good time on the islands. Say hi to Holli for me.

This is a question for Sashas Mom-

We are going to have our son participate in the bon voyage in March when we are on the Golden. How did it work for the parking? We will have him drop us off at the curb with our baggage and go park the car. Hopefully not a problem to get out. What time did they have you leave the ship? We are so excited for him to be able to be on the ship!

So glad you are having a great time.......wish we were there! Now, make sure you post plenty of pictures upon your return. When I can't stand the wait till October TA and look at your pictures from your previous cruises!!:D

Joe

Thanks for posting our updates. My husband and I sail on the 16th of March and I can't wait.

Your posts are great and I appreciate you taking the time to share all the news and events going on.

Have a wonderful trip!!

I did have one bit of good news in our table head waiter did some checking and found we were selected for the second chef’s table on the night we leave Maui headed to Ensenada. I am totally stoked. [/font]

We also did the second Chef's Table the day we left Maui. Please let me know what you think. From what I understand, the first Chef's Table had lobster, steak, etc... We wound up having veal shank and filet. I was just a little teeny bit disappointed, although the whole experience was great!

Enjoy your cruise, and thank you for helping the 290+ days I have to wait until the next one go by...

This is a question for Sashas Mom-

We are going to have our son participate in the bon voyage in March when we are on the Golden. How did it work for the parking? We will have him drop us off at the curb with our baggage and go park the car. Hopefully not a problem to get out. What time did they have you leave the ship? We are so excited for him to be able to be on the ship!

We did the bon voyage experience on our Nov. - Dec. 2010 cruise to Hawaii. There will be no problems dropping you off (probably at the center island of the lane). You can just grab your luggage and find a porter easily. Bon voyage guests MUST be off the ship by no later than 3:00 p.m. Lunch was also very good! Enjoy!

We ar also part of the ruby Oct 19 cruise, looking forward to meeting you.

Is ther anything I can do to help you while the Golden is here on Oahu? (only live about 20 min from the Port) Would be happy to show you two around a bit)

Aloha,

Bev

Hi Bev! I'm so excited to see a post from you. We have missed you on the roll call. :)

Also, lots of folks have sent you email - please check.

Hope you amd your family have all been well. Nice of you to offer to meet up with Bob. :cool:

Looking forward to seeing you in Venice. :D

Hello everyone from the Golden Princess. We just set sail from Hilo bound for Honolulu. DW and I had a great time in Hilo today. We went on a princess sponsored excursion to the Volcano National Park and the Mono Loa nut factory. The national park was very nice. We saw some great sites and I took a ton of pictures. We even got to walk through a lava tube which was very cool. An added bonus on our excursion is our driver/tour guide. This man was arguably one of the best guides we have ever had. Tomorrow in Honolulu we are doing a cultural center/luau excursion.

The Golden Princess continues to be a great ship to sail on. All crewmembers I have seen have always had smiles on their faces and were always willing to go the extra mile to make sure the passengers have a great vacation. Internet service on the Golden continues to be, for the most part, good. The only problems I’ve experienced is using my IPad. On occasion, I would keep getting redirected to the log on page after I have already entered my log on information. A godsend indeed was deciding to also bring my laptop so I could type my postings in word then post them to CC, email, etc.

Entertainment today was Knight & Day (MUTS) at 1200, Blue Hawaii (MUTS) at 1430 hrs, Catfish (MUTS) at 1900 & 2200 hrs. Today in the Piazza there was a hula feather workshop at 1530 and evening melodies with the excellent musicians onboard. In the explorers lounge there was music by the ship band passion as well as a salsa Latin themed party. In the Vista lounge there is the production show “Words & Music.” Entertainer Tony Tilman is performing in the princess theater.

That’s all for now…..

Bob

Bob - It is really great to read your posts. It sounds like you are having a wonderful time. My wife and I plan to be aboard the Oct. 12th cruise and this is an excellent way to know what to expect. We have cruised before, but not on Princess. Do you mind sharing the type of cabin that you are in and your feelings about it. We are planning to either book a mini-suite or a standard suite and would like some feedback on pros and cons. I would appreciate any information. Thanks.

Hi Bob and Holly - you are doing a terrific job of keeping us posted. Next week, as you are debarking we will be embarking. I hope we have as much fun as you are having. Quick question - have you noticed how long the lines for anytime dining are? We are scheduled for 5:30 dinner and that is much too early. Mahalo. Bert & Eva:)

Bob: I am enjoying your blog for Hawaii. I cruise Hawaii a few years ago with a friend. I have been to Oahu a few times and still have not done Polynesian Cultural Center/luau excursion. I am interested in what you think of it. I have only heard really good things about it.

A little late, but Congrats on Chef’s Table.:D I was lucky enough to get Chef’s Table on coastal wine cruise in 09. Oh my, it was really the best experience!! I met some wonderful people from Canada.

Following your blog is helping my cruise withdrawal. I have nothing plan until the T/A cruise in October.:(

Linda

Hi Bob and Holly - you are doing a terrific job of keeping us posted. Next week, as you are debarking we will be embarking. I hope we have as much fun as you are having. Quick question - have you noticed how long the lines for anytime dining are? We are scheduled for 5:30 dinner and that is much too early. Mahalo. Bert & Eva:)

Sorry, haven't noted the lines at AT dining. I'll take a look at them when we go to the chef's table on Thursday.

Bob

Hi Bob and Holly,

If you have the chance go see Tony Tilman He is fantastic. We saw him on the Diamond in August. He is a fabulous enterainter. He is a comedian and song and dance man all rolled into one.

I am enjoying your blog

Thanks

Archived