Live From The Golden 02-02-11 to 02-16-11 R/T To Hawaii

Woobstr112G

Good morning to all from the Golden Princess. It’s a little after 0600 on our second day at sea. Yesterday was a nice day at sea. The weather was a little overcast and there was some noticeable movement. It wasn’t that bad though. The Golden Princess continues to impress me. Very clean ship and very friendly crew.

There were tons of Hawaiian activities throughout the day. We had our meet and greet yesterday in the Wheelhouse bar. It was well attended and was nice to put faces to people we had been talking to online.

I made good use of the gym yesterday. The equipment was in good order and I only had to wait for a few minutes for a treadmill to open up. I also did several fast walk laps around the promenade deck.

After working out. I had a light breakfast in the Horizon court. It was very crowded and I ended up taking my food back to our cabin. For lunch I had a tasty hamburger at the trident grill. This is always a favorite spot for me. We had late seating traditional dining in the Donatello dining room. It was “North American” themed night. The food was quite good. I especially enjoyed the baked Oyster appetizer I had. It was very tasty.

Yesterday’s movie schedule consisted of From here to eternity (MUTS) at 1000, Letters to Juliet (MUTS) 1230, Oceans (MUTS) at 1500, Waiting for superman (MUTS) 1900 & 2200. The Passion band played in Explorers, the Ruben Café Quintet performed in the Wheelhouse bar, Stardust was the production show in the theater, there was big band dancing in the vista lounge. Later in the Vista ventriloquist Gareth Oliver performed.

Tonight is our first formal night. As soon as I get back from the gym, I will be trying on my rental tux to make sure it fits.

Internet service is slow but I’m always able to get connected. Thank goodness for being able to compose offline in word before I post otherwise I’d be out of minutes already.

Hope everyone has a great day…..:):):)

Bob

Good morning to all from the Golden Princess. It’s a little after 0600 on our second day at sea. Yesterday was a nice day at sea. The weather was a little overcast and there was some noticeable movement. It wasn’t that bad though. The Golden Princess continues to impress me. Very clean ship and very friendly crew.

There were tons of Hawaiian activities throughout the day. We had our meet and greet yesterday in the Wheelhouse bar. It was well attended and was nice to put faces to people we had been talking to online.

I made good use of the gym yesterday. The equipment was in good order and I only had to wait for a few minutes for a treadmill to open up. I also did several fast walk laps around the promenade deck.

After working out. I had a light breakfast in the Horizon court. It was very crowded and I ended up taking my food back to our cabin. For lunch I had a tasty hamburger at the trident grill. This is always a favorite spot for me. We had late seating traditional dining in the Donatello dining room. It was “North American” themed night. The food was quite good. I especially enjoyed the baked Oyster appetizer I had. It was very tasty.

Yesterday’s movie schedule consisted of From here to eternity (MUTS) at 1000, Letters to Juliet (MUTS) 1230, Oceans (MUTS) at 1500, Waiting for superman (MUTS) 1900 & 2200. The Passion band played in Explorers, the Ruben Café Quintet performed in the Wheelhouse bar, Stardust was the production show in the theater, there was big band dancing in the vista lounge. Later in the Vista ventriloquist Gareth Oliver performed.

Tonight is our first formal night. As soon as I get back from the gym, I will be trying on my rental tux to make sure it fits.

Internet service is slow but I’m always able to get connected. Thank goodness for being able to compose offline in word before I post otherwise I’d be out of minutes already.

Hope everyone has a great day…..:):):)

Bob

Thanks for the update Bob. Happy to hear that all is going well on the cruise. I always enjoy hearing all about a cruise as it is occurring.

Bob, I'm enjoying your reports. I hope you and Holli continue to have a great cruise.

Ann,

How nice to run into you again. I was on the Trans-Atlantic cruise on the Emerald in 10/08. That is where I met Bob and Holli and I think you were there also. If I remember correctly, there were several Anns on the CC thread so we were Ann #1, Ann #2, etc.

Ann' date='[/size']

How nice to run into you again. I was on the Trans-Atlantic cruise on the Emerald in 10/08. That is where I met Bob and Holli and I think you were there also. If I remember correctly, there were several Anns on the CC thread so we were Ann #1, Ann #2, etc.

You're right! I was Ann In VA. I had never seen so many Ann's since my college days when we had 7 in close proximity in a dorm.

Why don't you join us on the Ruby 10/19 cruise? We have a great group!

You're right! I was Ann In VA. I had never seen so many Ann's since my college days when we had 7 in close proximity in a dorm.

Why don't you join us on the Ruby 10/19 cruise? We have a great group!

Ann,

I had thought about going on the Ruby when Bob said that he and Holli were going again and I truly would love to but my big trip this year will be to Norway coast and all the way up to the North Cape. Princess is only running this cruise once this year. I have 15 of my friends going on the Norweigan cruise also and I just cannot justify flying to Europe twice this year unfortunately. I know you will all have a fantastic time.

Bob....I am enjoying your posts. I will be on the Golden on April 13th. Can you let me know if the pools are heated and if they are warm. My grandkids are coming with us.

One of the few complaints my hubby had about our December cruise on the Golden was that the pools weren't heated enough. We ended up just using the hot tubs.

Good morning all from the Golden Princess. Today is another leisurely day at sea. Tomorrow is our last sea day before we hit Hilo.

Last night was our first formal night. I was surprised at the number of Tuxedos I saw. There were also many men in dark suits as well. The champagne waterfall was well attended and everyone seemed to have a great time. Our dinner was also very good. Our waiter and assistant waiter do a good job in making sure we have a nice dining experience. I did notice that the Canaletto dining room seemed a little empty. I also noted while walking to dinner that Sabatini’s was quite full and many of the dinner guests were decked out in formal wear.

DW had a massage in the Lotus Spa and loved it. So much so, that she booked another one for next week. She told me that she was offered the opportunity to purchase some items but added that it really wasn’t a hard sell.

During the early afternoon (yesterday) there were several cool demonstrations held in the Piazza. Watched a cool martini demo along with a vegetable carving/sushi demo. After the demos, they had a sushi buffet around the calypso pool.

After dinner we went to the vista lounge and saw ventriloquist Gareth Oliver. Gareth was a semi finalist on the British version of America’s got talent. He was very funny and did a great show. Just a hint, if you go to a comedian or other good show in the vista lounge go early to get a seat. It fills up very fast to standing room only.

Today’s entertainment consists of Pearl Harbor (MUTS) at 0900, Killers (MUTS) at 1500, and The Social Network (MUTS) at 1900/2200. In the Piazza there is music by the Rubin Café Quintet, and Cube spinning & Balance. Illusionist Alexander is on tap for the princess theater, while harmonica virtuoso Bernie Fields is on tap for the vista lounge.

Take Care All…..:):):)

Bob

Sounds wonderful. How are the seas? Also, have you seen any kids? We're thinking of this cruise for April 12 with our children, 12 and 8. So many sea days worry me with them though. Thanks for the live report. Katherine

If you want Hawaiian flowers in your cabin, there is a stand at the pier in Hilo where they are sold for $10 (last fall, anyway). We enjoy the arrangements, and they last all the way home. We buy one as we are leaving the ship for the day, and they save it for us until we get back.

Good morning from the Golden Princess. Today is our final sea day before we hit Hawaii. It is also Super Bowl Sunday. The game will be broadcast on MUTS and in all public lounges. Unfortunately the type of public license they have from the NFL prohibits broadcast in the individual cabins.

Yesterday was another great day at sea. I made good use of the gym in the early morning and then just hung out for the rest of the day. Still having the pesky problem of my Princess Visa being declined for authorization despite several calls to Barclays who assured me all fraud protection holds were lifted.

The food in the MDR continues to impress me. The variety and quality continue to be very good to excellent. I even have several cups of (:eek:) syrup coffee with my meal. The deserts are quite tasty. Haven’t tried Sabatinis or the Crown grill yet. Hopefully will be doing at least the CG on the way back from Hawaii. I did have one bit of good news in our table head waiter did some checking and found we were selected for the second chef’s table on the night we leave Maui headed to Ensenada. I am totally stoked.

Last night we saw illusionist Alexander in the Princess theater. We had no trouble finding a great seat close to the stage. Movies shown yesterday were Pearl Harbor (MUTS) at 0900, Killers (MUTS) at 1500, The Social Network at 1900/2200 hrs. Piazza entertainment consisted of Musical melodies of the Ruben Café Quintet, and Cube Spinning & Balance. There were also several Hawaiian themed classes along with computer classes offered via the scholarship@sea program. I’ve been impressed so far at the quantity and variety of classes offered under the scholarship@sea program.

Nothing much planned for today except watching the Super Bowl somewhere on the ship. Tomorrow in Hilo we are taking a ship sponsored excursion to see some volcanoes. This excursion is the one that only skirts the lava tube. Skipped the more extensive tour to lessen the strain on DW’s back.

That’s all for now. Hope all have a great day…..:

Bob

HI Bob,

Glad you're having a wonderful time. I definitely recommend the Crown Grill. The meal we had there was outstanding. If you're thinking of doing Sabatini's, I encourage you to get a group together from the roll call if you can. Sabatinit's takes hours, and it's very enjoyable, but I definitely think it adds to the enjoyment to have some people with you, especially because you'll be there for so long.

I'm excited that you're getting to do the Chef's Table. It's quite an experience.

Eileen

Good morning from the Golden Princess. Today is our final sea day before we hit Hawaii. It is also Super Bowl Sunday. The game will be broadcast on MUTS and in all public lounges. Unfortunately the type of public license they have from the NFL prohibits broadcast in the individual cabins.

Yesterday was another great day at sea. I made good use of the gym in the early morning and then just hung out for the rest of the day. Still having the pesky problem of my Princess Visa being declined for authorization despite several calls to Barclays who assured me all fraud protection holds were lifted.

The food in the MDR continues to impress me. The variety and quality continue to be very good to excellent. I even have several cups of (:eek:) syrup coffee with my meal. The deserts are quite tasty. Haven’t tried Sabatinis or the Crown grill yet. Hopefully will be doing at least the CG on the way back from Hawaii. I did have one bit of good news in our table head waiter did some checking and found we were selected for the second chef’s table on the night we leave Maui headed to Ensenada. I am totally stoked.

Last night we saw illusionist Alexander in the Princess theater. We had no trouble finding a great seat close to the stage. Movies shown yesterday were Pearl Harbor (MUTS) at 0900, Killers (MUTS) at 1500, The Social Network at 1900/2200 hrs. Piazza entertainment consisted of Musical melodies of the Ruben Café Quintet, and Cube Spinning & Balance. There were also several Hawaiian themed classes along with computer classes offered via the scholarship@sea program. I’ve been impressed so far at the quantity and variety of classes offered under the scholarship@sea program.

Nothing much planned for today except watching the Super Bowl somewhere on the ship. Tomorrow in Hilo we are taking a ship sponsored excursion to see some volcanoes. This excursion is the one that only skirts the lava tube. Skipped the more extensive tour to lessen the strain on DW’s back.

That’s all for now. Hope all have a great day…..:

Bob

Bob,

Very happy to hear that you will be doing the Chef's Table again. Now you can compare it to the others you have done. Great comments and so glad to hear that you and Holli are pleased with everything.

Have a great time on the tour tomorrow. Looking forward to your future postings.

Bob How are the seas ? I am leaving March 2 on the Golden and will be on Baja Deck, Mid-ship....A little worried about some posts I have read about rough seas on other threads. Did ok to Alaska but was a little dizzy still after taking meclizne. I am enjoying your posts and getting excited for my cruise.......Have fun and Cong. on the chef table.

I did have one bit of good news in our table head waiter did some checking and found we were selected for the second chef’s table on the night we leave Maui headed to Ensenada. I am totally stoked.

WooHoo, Bob. Congrats! That's wonderful news about being selected for the Chef's Table. Now you can see what all the excitement is about. Be sure to let us know what you and Holli thought of it! Enjoy!! :p

Archived