Is the Ryndam stable?

richrhon1

My DW and I are considering a western Caribbean cruise on the Ryndam and we were wondering how stable is the ship? We haven't been on a ship this small and we are concerned that we might feel the movement of the ship more than on a large ship.

Thanks for your help with this question.

We just got back from 7-days western carribean on the Ryndam.

We were all the way aft on the promenade deck and were surprised by how much vibration and overall ship movement, given the relatively calm sea conditions. The motion was much more than on the two, larger, NCL ships that we had been on before.

With force 4 and force 5 wind, the ship caused passengers to noticeably veer from side to side while walking down the hallways. Forward, in the ships show lounge, the motion was minimal in these same conditions. The pitching was very minor but the rolling from side to side was much more than I expected....not enough to make anyone miserable, I would guess, just annoying.

My guess is that the stabilizers were not being used, or were used on a non-aggressive setting to increase speed and / or to conserve fuel. The Ryndam had to make some overnight runs close to its max speed, which it could not do with stabilizers deployed. This is just a guess.

If you are really concerned with motion, I would book a cabin near midships and below the promenade deck to minimize the effect of the ships motion.

We've been on the Ryndam three times and only once, and that was the first night out of Ft Lauderdale in the full Atlantic, have we ever been close to uncomfortable. Actually the roughest trip we've ever had was on the Oosterdam which is larger so it's really all about weather and sea conditions. I'd say the western Caribbean and the Ryndam are a good bet for a relatively calm cruise.

I have had several cruises on the Ryndam and never had a problem with motiion. I recall being on this ship some years ago on the Gulf of Alaska. It was a rough nite and I cannot say the ship didn't move but not enough to get me sick. We were in Gale Force winds that night. I have always liked the Ryndam and have enjoyed the cruises I have done on this ship.

My guess is that the stabilizers were not being used, or were used on a non-aggressive setting to increase speed and / or to conserve fuel. The Ryndam had to make some overnight runs close to its max speed, which it could not do with stabilizers deployed. This is just a guess.

It's a very poor guess IMHO

Simply put, the ship moves more when it's going faster.

The stabilizers are not effective at slow speeds. Otherwise they are deployed in the majority of situations.

I have not sailed on the Ryndam. I have sailed on the Veendam a sister ship. The ship was extremely stable in the Atlantic. Having sailed

several times in the Caribbean the ship motion is even less there. In fact it's like sailing in your bathtub.

Boy that's a statement of the times when a 60,000 GRT ship is considered "small".

Thanks all for your comments. It sounds, from all the comments, that it should be okay for my DW. We are planning on taking a cruise during spring break, end of March. We have a 12 year old boy. Does anyone know the passenger make-up for this ship during spring break? Just want to make sure there will also be enough to keep him occupied.

Thanks all for your comments. It sounds, from all the comments, that it should be okay for my DW. We are planning on taking a cruise during spring break, end of March. We have a 12 year old boy. Does anyone know the passenger make-up for this ship during spring break? Just want to make sure there will also be enough to keep him occupied.

Hi RichRon! Come join us on the Ryndam! DH and I are taking our DD 16, and DS 17 on this ship. I didn't notice where you are from (if you said) in your original post, but we are from Pinellas County, Florida (Bay area), and our kids' break is the week of March 27th. I started a Roll Call but nobody has joined me yet. :( I was starting to see tumbleweeds down the corridors of the ship in my mind!

As for demographic of the ship, I understand it is usually an older crowd, but with it being spring break for one of the surrounding counties, I would hope there will be more kids on board.

We are re-watching the 1950's classic series Victory at Sea and if you want to see ships and wave action and compare it to what we typically see on cruise lines, this is a good place to get a feeling for what rough waters actually look like and how these fighting ships just kept plowing through them.

My first cruise ship in 1970's was a 1500 passenger ship (Galileo Galilei) and I remember telling people how huge it was, and that it wasn't like a regular passenger liner at that time. Was also recently on the MV Discovery (aka Island Princess) whose original sister ship was the Pacific Princess on the Love Boat set the standard a few decades ago for all cruise lines at only 650 passengers.

What is really amazing is seeing the mock up of one of Columbus's first ships that sailed off into the unknown with virtually no interior space or protection at all.

If it is spring break and a Caribbean itinerary, there will be many families with kids of all ages. From my experiences, it is likely that you will feel some motion on the Ryndam.

My DW and I are considering a western Caribbean cruise on the Ryndam and we were wondering how stable is the ship? We haven't been on a ship this small and we are concerned that we might feel the movement of the ship more than on a large ship.

Thanks for your help with this question.

If there's major weather you would feel it on any ship, but otherwise you'll be fine

What is really amazing is seeing the mock up of one of Columbus's first ships that sailed off into the unknown with virtually no interior space or protection at all.
I saw someplace that 60 Mayflowers would fit in the "footprint" of the Oasis or Allure o.t.S. :eek:

Archived