why Americans don't travel(as much as others) overseas:why they have less passports

smeyer418

LOL interesting comments. I have traveled extensively to some remote places. I universally have found that foreigners in general love Americans. they used to love our government too but that has significantly changed. We were in Africa when Obama was elected and they took it as it was one of the family who became president. Most Americans are not ugly Americans they are generous(sometimes to a fault) and respect the culture of where they are. The tipping threads blame it all on us anyway. The exceptions however prove the rule. I also have found that english is spoken everywhere as its the language of business and rarely does it cause a problem even when they can't(my wife and I remember the dutch farmer who gave us directions in Dutch outside Kuekenhof and we sort of translated as he went along). Only the French hate speaking English-it really galls them that it is the language of business that used to be French but they understand it...

yes we are occasionally loud and boisterous....but less so than most European football fans...

I have great stories of people being just people where ever we go. But we travel 1-2 times a year outside the US. I have a passports with extra pages that were almost completely used.

And I realize its fewer than lesser.

and no country ever was as generous to others as the Marshall Plan was.

I can relate. People think we ride horses to work here in Texas. The last time I rode a horse was 2 years ago on a NCL excursion.

The minute people know that I am from California I get asked by some very ignorant people : How many movie stars do I know. Am I a movie star? ( I had to give her my autograph to get her to leave me alone. :eek:) How many movie stars do I know? How many of my neighbors are movie stars? Which beach do I live on?

And any girl that is from California sleeps with any guy anywhere at any time.

There are more things I like - LOVE - about being an American/other Americans than there are things I dislike, and I am not so arrogant to pretend that the things I dislike do not exist or do not bother other people.

Self-examination and criticism is not a sign of anything other than honesty.

Yep. Honesty, maturity and the ability to see the world through other than wholly binary terms.

Nice post, Anginette.

For billie5 and others who are (correctly) pointing out that the U.S. has an amazing array of topographical diversity and natural beauty: Yes, it absolutely does, but the local "sights" are only part of the reason for travel. When you go to other countries, you get to experience other cultures, hear (and do your best to speak) other languages, talk to people who live very differently than Americans do, and otherwise get out of the American bubble.

This is more important now than ever because mass media and mass franchising of businesses have to a large extent erased our regional differences and subcultures -- certainly you can find real differences in communities as you travel the U.S., but not to the extent that our parents and grandparents could.

Hi all, I have a friend in Italy who was asking me this same question in Nov when I was there. He thought America was like Eureope where people can travel from state to state cheaply like they do in Europe. In Europe peole can travel from country to country fairly cheap. He was shocked when I told him how much it would cost me to fly from NY to Fla. I also have traveled all over and have only found people who are kind and sweet from Africa to Greece and other places. Have fun travel often thats my motto

A few years ago my husband and I flew to Mallorca for a vacation. One store clerk mentioned that very few Americans travel there.

We told him that it required three flights to arrive, and three more to return home. That might be a factor. We had a fabulous time, and returned twice more.

We also visited Funchal, Madeira. Few Americans but probable for the same reasons. Mulitple flights required.

Sad. Insularity breeds ignorance.

I am married to a Brit and everytime I visited him before we were married in the UK it was the Spanish Inquisition with the UK border control and I had no idea why until I researched it and found out other American woman had the same experience as I did. It turns out Americans, especially woman have the reputation of being liars and overstayers in the UK. It's still bad even after we got married so now I say if I wanted to live here I would get German citizenship. Am I better off with this information? It kind of tarnished my image of the UK and made me wiser of the stereotypes out there. But then again I had the best laugh with a Torp passport agent who knew the Garden State Parkway exits and doing the Jersey accent.

How many people have visited all 50 states (or at least the 48 continuous states)? There are MANY reasons why US citizens don't travel abroad. If the price of oil continues to escalate and airfare continues to rise I know we'll be staying in the US.

I'm not American, and I've travelled to 49 of them (Wyoming is not on my to-do list).

I've also travelled to Europe 30+ times, South Africa 3 times, Australia, New Zealand, Korea, Japan (3 times), Russia (twice), everywhere in Canada except the Territories (many times).....and I'm not yet 45 years old.....oh, and Central America just last month. :)

So it's not that it can't be done. And it's only in the last few years that I've had 4 weeks vacation per year.

It's about prioritization. Some people want to travel. Others want to own a boat, and others want to fish or hunt or golf.

There's nothing 'better' about my choices. The main advantages are personal. I have a better understanding of many world issues, than I would have had otherwise and that I have a collection of beautiful photographs and artifacts.

Personally, I'd rather hear someone's story of visiting Petra, than how much under-par they were last weekend....so hopefully my past travel provides conversation fodder as well.

I find this thread very interesting. As a Canadian, I would consider myself well-travelled. I also lived in Australia for a year, and my do those aussies travel! We do get a lot more vacation time and are lucky for that! In Canada, we also get a year off for maternity leave. I love exploring the world and meeting new people. I can't understand those who wouldn't want to.

I once travelled on a European Contiki Tour where the majority were Americans, Canadians, and Australians. We had one girl from Texas who every place we went said "We don't do this in Texas" and "It's not like this in Texas," etc. Wow, by the middle of the trip even her Texas friend told her she should have stayed in Texas. By the end of the trip she was having a great time though...I think she got it.

I have met many wonderful Americans! I think you guys get a bad rap for the few "dummies" out there. There are "dummies" in every country though.

I think the thing (for all travellers from all countries) to remember is that when travelling you are a guest in their country, it is not home, you are representing your country, and things are done differently. I always try to go with the flow. I also find a smile goes a long way in a lot of countries!

I'm not American, and I've travelled to 49 of them (Wyoming is not on my to-do list).

Yellowstone and Grand Teton are two of the most spectacular places on earth. If you're boycotting WY because of some of the...er...19th-century viewpoints held there, I can certainly understand, but there are plenty of U.S. states outperforming it in the "Are you serious?" department lately. (Several unnamed offenders in the southwest and south are off our lists until further notice.)

Enjoyed this post of yours. I do understand the problems that limited vacation time and company expectations present for people, but it really is a matter of priorities, too. My husband and I live in a modest condo, drive a series of beater cars until they die (which is admittedly easy for us because we live in a large city with great public transit), eschew expensive hobbies and make a lot of other lifestyle choices that save us discretionary spending money...which we then blow on traveling as often and as diversely as we possibly can. It can be done, but you have to really want it -- and be willing to make tradeoffs.

I read the CNN article last week - and thought it correct in many ways. I remember the first time we traveled to Europe, I was afraid to go anywhere that English was not spoken, so we took the plunge to London. Then with that success we ventured farther out of my comfort zone to Paris, then to Spain and Italy and now we have two cruise planned: one to the Adriatic (Croatia, Athens, Turkey) and next year to the Baltic countries. Once you get started, you want to see it all!

We are taking my Mom with us on a Med cruise this fall and her main fears are flying so far, and "drinking the water":) I explained that the only way to actually get to Europe is to bravely fly and that the water is not third world. My 72 year old Mom is taking the plunge and getting excited. She is becoming a world traveler!

Unfortunately I still have to contend with trying to get more than a week off work at a time, the high exchange rates that drive DH crazy, and my inability to communicate effectively in another language - thank goodness many Europeans have been better educated in language:p And for the most part, they are helpful even when they don't speak English - people are the same, only some of our cultures are different.

I love traveling in the US, it is true we have it all as far as interesting and varied vacation destinations. But to really understand another culture, whether it be foreign abroad, or foreign regionally (who are those fast talking folks in New York? Do people in the south marry their cousins?:eek:) you have to step out of your comfort zone. Once you do that, then the whole world is your vacation destination and your passport starts to get worn and used - yippee. Next stop: Asia?? Now how many poptarts do I pack for that trip?? Do they really eat bird feet??? How do you say "I am a vegetarian", in Chinese.......

I read the CNN article last week - and thought it correct in many ways. I remember the first time we traveled to Europe, I was afraid to go anywhere that English was not spoken, so we took the plunge to London. Then with that success we ventured farther out of my comfort zone to Paris, then to Spain and Italy and now we have two cruise planned: one to the Adriatic (Croatia, Athens, Turkey) and next year to the Baltic countries. Once you get started, you want to see it all!

We are taking my Mom with us on a Med cruise this fall and her main fears are flying so far, and "drinking the water":) I explained that the only way to actually get to Europe is to bravely fly and that the water is not third world. My 72 year old Mom is taking the plunge and getting excited. She is becoming a world traveler!

Unfortunately I still have to contend with trying to get more than a week off work at a time, the high exchange rates that drive DH crazy, and my inability to communicate effectively in another language - thank goodness many Europeans have been better educated in language:p And for the most part, they are helpful even when they don't speak English - people are the same, only some of our cultures are different.

I love traveling in the US, it is true we have it all as far as interesting and varied vacation destinations. But to really understand another culture, whether it be foreign abroad, or foreign regionally (who are those fast talking folks in New York? Do people in the south marry their cousins?:eek:) you have to step out of your comfort zone. Once you do that, then the whole world is your vacation destination and your passport starts to get worn and used - yippee. Next stop: Asia?? Now how many poptarts do I pack for that trip?? Do they really eat bird feet??? How do you say "I am a vegetarian", in Chinese.......

English is required to be taught beginning in Elementary school in China. Most people speak some English(especially the younger generation). You should have no problem getting no meat dishes in China...as long as you aren't a vegan. eggs are in lots of stuff. China has Walmart and supermarkets. I was on a river cruise in China(the Yangtze)...and I came down with Athletes foot. I would be darned to see the shipboard doctor and pay $60 to have her tell me I have Athletes foot. So I told our tour guide that was there a pharmacy at the next stop I could go and get something for it. He said yes our next stop was the three gorges dam and when the tour was over instead of going back to the ship he would take us and the bus into the town built for the construction workers. After the tour was over we went left instead of right to the ship into town. Stopped at a modern shopping center what could have been any newly built cvs/walgreens etc and went in spoke with the woman behind the desk who gave me the Chinese equivalent of Tinactin...with directions in english for $2 if I remember correctly. they did not however have lactose intolerance pills(which another cruiser wanted)... worked great. had it for years after wards and worked every time...

PS When I came back to the US my doctor told me that mouthwash works too.....

English is required to be taught beginning in Elementary school in China. Most people speak some English(especially the younger generation). You should have no problem getting no meat dishes in China...as long as you aren't a vegan. eggs are in lots of stuff. China has Walmart and supermarkets. I was on a river cruise in China(the Yangtze)...and I came down with Athletes foot. I would be darned to see the shipboard doctor and pay $60 to have her tell me I have Athletes foot. So I told our tour guide that was there a pharmacy at the next stop I could go and get something for it. He said yes our next stop was the three gorges dam and when the tour was over instead of going back to the ship he would take us and the bus into the town built for the construction workers. After the tour was over we went left instead of right to the ship into town. Stopped at a modern shopping center what could have been any newly built cvs/walgreens etc and went in spoke with the woman behind the desk who gave me the Chinese equivalent of Tinactin...with directions in english for $2 if I remember correctly. they did not however have lactose intolerance pills(which another cruiser wanted)... worked great. had it for years after wards and worked every time...

PS When I came back to the US my doctor told me that mouthwash works too.....

Well I can't wait to visit China! Great tip on the mouthwash... Now if I could only take off more than 1-2 weeks at a time, the world would be my backyard:D But I must work to support my habit....traveling;) Should I really be wishing I was older so that I can go ahead and retire???

Honestly.. the reason we limit our travel of outside of the US is simple.. Is there any where overseas where they actually like Americans? On my one and only trip to Europe, I found very few that did. That saddens me because I LOVE meeting people from different cultures, different languages, etc. A thrill for me when we travel to a foreign country is to go into a typical grocery store just because I love seeing what different foods they eat, etc. So it does make me sad that we don't feel comfortable taking land based trips abroad.

I disagree with you that people overseas don't like Americans. I live four years in Germany and five years in Saudi Arabia. I have traveled to 36 countries, and not found a single country where people dislike Americans. It is true that some countries or regions of some countries are more friendly to Americans than others. Probably the most rudeness that I encountered on my overseas travels was in Paris. Still, I met many friendly Parisians. I had French friends in Saudi tell me that the French from outside Paris are often treated rudely in Paris.

Culture is different, even within a single small country like Switzerland, where they have four official languages. Northern Italians are very different from Romans, or Neapolitans or Sicilians.

American culture is one built on getting the job done expeditiously, therefore, I appreciated the efficiency that one encounters in Germany, Denmark and the UK. However, I love the Mediterranean culture that is a bit less efficent, slower and more relaxed. When Americans go to other countries, as anyone going to a foreign country, they must learn to adapt to whatever the culture is there. Most Europeans don't eat butter with their bread, except for breakfast, and you don't put butter on a crossaint.

In the Middle East, you don't use your left hand to give anyone anything or show the soles of your shoes. Also, you don't hitchhike with your thumb, since that sign is considered an obsenity.

On the main subject at hand, it is more costly for Americans to travel to Europe or Asia, whereas Europeans can simply get in their cars and drive to any number of foreign countries. If they don't have a car, they can take a train. Countries are much smaller, and closer together.

I think the CNN article made some good points, but it ignored the basics. If you live in Switzerland, you can be in several foreign countries within hours. Even in the slow travel season, it still generally costs at least $700 round trip to fly from the USA to Europe. Further, I think the article was unnecessarily negative on Americans. I have not found Americans overseas to be more rude than Europeans traveling from other countries.

Foreign travel for Americans is up now, as opposed to even 20 years ago. There are many more Americans traveling to Europe than in the 80s.

I've also travelled to Europe 30+ times, South Africa 3 times, Australia, New Zealand, Korea, Japan (3 times), Russia (twice), everywhere in Canada except the Territories (many times).....and I'm not yet 45 years old.....oh, and Central America just last month. :)

So it's not that it can't be done. And it's only in the last few years that I've had 4 weeks vacation per year.

It's about prioritization. Some people want to travel. Others want to own a boat, and others want to fish or hunt or golf.

There's nothing 'better' about my choices. The main advantages are personal. I have a better understanding of many world issues, than I would have had otherwise and that I have a collection of beautiful photographs and artifacts.

Personally, I'd rather hear someone's story of visiting Petra, than how much under-par they were last weekend....so hopefully my past travel provides conversation fodder as well.

oh my goodness.. you really should go to Yellowstone. It is honestly one of the most amazing places we have ever visited. We spent 9 days there and thought that was too short of a time.

Travel is a lot of fun and two factors are key, time and money. You need both. If you have children and grandchildren, you want to travel to see them, and that can affect overseas trips.

Travel is not always expensive, but it can be, depending on the travel. I just retired, so I have time and of course the funds to travel.

Fortunately, I was able to live overseas in two separate countries and learn quite a bit about the culture, history and people of those countries (and others as well).

Travel does give you a perspective that you didn't have before. Living overseas really allowed my children and step-children to achieve a better understanding of the World and other cultures.

Its all in perspective really isn't it. What one sees and compares to. Its been so interesting reading the comments on this thread. Europeans country hop because it is cheaper. Americans travel less frequently because of high costs and several flights to get to European continents. Australians on the other hand take 24 hours just to get to Europe in the first place and our fares are exorbitant in comparison to both. It took us 4 flights to reach Alaska and 28 hours travelling time. But wow what a great place to visit. Even to get from one side of Australia to the other takes minimum 8 hours and an advance booking would see a return flight for just under $1000.

Recently sitting at the hotel computer near Antelope Canyon in Arizona i came across a young couple from Switzerland. They too were planning on visiting the Canyon and explained they'd been driving from San Francisco and had taken a week to get there. Their idea of driving was about 200 klms a day whereas our idea was about 600 klms a day. 200 klms to them they said put them in another country back home and they just weren't used to driving for long periods. Driving 200 klms in Australia is 2 hours drive time which you would go somewhere and come back in the same day for a day trip.

As i said to start - its all in perspective isn't it.

My perspective - see 100 places in one day and fit in the most i can (especially if its a place we will never see again).

My husbands perspective - see 1 place take your time, relax, enjoy and then take a nap.

Do you know how many times I have been asked by Americans if we really live in igloos, and have sled dogs? I am Canadian.

This is exactly what our Canadian dining mates told us. They thought it funny. LOL..

Also, to travel to Europe has been very expensive, flights to get there are anyway. It makes it cost prohibitive for many families. My husband and I have also reached the ages where we do not feel comfortable taking more than a week at a time off. We need to continue accumulating retirement so we won't risk a job loss. And many employers do frown on you using a lot of vacation at once. So we take close trips and get away quite a bit.

Honestly.. the reason we limit our travel of outside of the US is simple.. Is there any where overseas where they actually like Americans? On my one and only trip to Europe, I found very few that did. That saddens me because I LOVE meeting people from different cultures, different languages, etc. A thrill for me when we travel to a foreign country is to go into a typical grocery store just because I love seeing what different foods they eat, etc. So it does make me sad that we don't feel comfortable taking land based trips abroad.

I have to agree. We decided there was a very subtle disrespect shown to us on our last Carribean cruise. Perhaps world travelers or people who travel with their business do not experience the same situations we do. I have been on several cruises and enjoyed them all until the last cruise to the Carribean almost five years ago. There is no question in my mind that the crew was not happy to be waiting on Americans. I made the decision not to cruise outside of an American port and have not to date.

On the other hand, we made some wonderful friends from Scotland on our cruise to Alaska last year. They were actually apprehensive about what Americans would think of them based on some political decision made just before the cruise. We had a wonderful cruise but I also felt disdain from some crew members. I think as more people become educated to what the US has done to third world countires the situation will just continue to escalate.

We have passports but do not plan to venture outside the US until the war is over.

Could you tell us about your experience where you were treated badly because you are an American.

I have been in a lot of Europe and have not found or had one instance of being treated badly... Had good experience in Italy, Istanbul, Prague, London, France, Lisbon, Budapest, Austria, Germany, etc. In Bordeaux had many people come up to us and tell us about the sites without asking.

Again, give use your experience and where you were treated badly because you are American. I think a lot of people will like to hear your story of mistreatment in Europe or Asia.

Its all in perspective really isn't it. What one sees and compares to. Its been so interesting reading the comments on this thread. Europeans country hop because it is cheaper. Americans travel less frequently because of high costs and several flights to get to European continents. Australians on the other hand take 24 hours just to get to Europe in the first place and our fares are exorbitant in comparison to both. It took us 4 flights to reach Alaska and 28 hours travelling time. But wow what a great place to visit. Even to get from one side of Australia to the other takes minimum 8 hours and an advance booking would see a return flight for just under $1000.

Recently sitting at the hotel computer near Antelope Canyon in Arizona i came across a young couple from Switzerland. They too were planning on visiting the Canyon and explained they'd been driving from San Francisco and had taken a week to get there. Their idea of driving was about 200 klms a day whereas our idea was about 600 klms a day. 200 klms to them they said put them in another country back home and they just weren't used to driving for long periods. Driving 200 klms in Australia is 2 hours drive time which you would go somewhere and come back in the same day for a day trip.

As i said to start - its all in perspective isn't it.

My perspective - see 100 places in one day and fit in the most i can (especially if its a place we will never see again).

My husbands perspective - see 1 place take your time, relax, enjoy and then take a nap.

I think this is one of the best posts, if not the best, I have ever seen on CC. Thank you.

Whatever Americans compiled that map are certainly lucky. Hispanola? Are you kidding me? You'd be lucky to find 1 out of 10,000 Americans who know what Hispanol is. Mozambique? Angola? HA!

Well then, 2 of them are living in this household. Maybe they should go back to teaching geography again. :rolleyes: We really do need to know.

I think this is one of the best posts, if not the best, I have ever seen on CC. Thank you.

Thank you Ms Belp. Glad you liked it. :);):D

I know i've loved being a member on cruise critic even though I only joined in December. I never even knew something like this existed. It was only via an internet search about our ship that i found it. It has been so helpful, from picking cabins, getting the best prices on shore excursions, looking at other members holiday snaps and the best part, having the chance to know some fellow travellers from all over the world for our upcoming cruise. Our roll call for a St Petersburg excursion now has 16 participants from 5 different countries. The information i have sourced through here cannot be surpassed. Thank you fellow Cruise Critic members.

PS. To the posters from Canada asked if they really live in Igloos? Try being Australian, 'no Kangaroos do not jump down the main street and Koalas are not in all the trees'. But I do live close by to them as im not in the city and Steve Irwins zoo is actually 30 minutes away.

The minute people know that I am from California I get asked by some very ignorant people : How many movie stars do I know. Am I a movie star? ( I had to give her my autograph to get her to leave me alone. :eek:) How many movie stars do I know? How many of my neighbors are movie stars? Which beach do I live on?

And any girl that is from California sleeps with any guy anywhere at any time.

Wow! Your post to me is so hilarious because I was born in Burbank, CA. But I really feel like a Texan cuz I've lived here over 40 years... What's so funny reading your post is that my dad was an actor and my mom a talent agent and I've known stars my whole life, but the majority I've met here in Texas.

I'll be in CA next month. Looking foward to it.

Archived