why Americans don't travel(as much as others) overseas:why they have less passports

smeyer418

Well ... not in all things, eh?

best-countries-2010.gif

P.S.

Wanna see / experience somethin'?

How about the pyramids, the grand canyon, the Amalfi coast, Niagara Falls, The Roman coliseum, the Taj Mahal, the Great Wall of China, Machu Picchu

... and TexMex food!!

smile-26.gif

Aaahhhh. Number 2. Aussie Aussie Aussie, I can deal with that. Have to admit we do have a great life.

The Great Wall of China, absolutely amazing, the cities of China, I was very let down. Their idea to please the tourists is to be modern and destroy all their history. It is only now they are realising what they've destroyed previously. So any history of a country is good history.

And in all honesty, unless you're an American Indian 100% or an Australian Aborigine 100% you're already a bit of this nation, a bit of that nation anyway, so we are all citizens of the world and no country really is better than the other. They say we're all related in some way or another anyway.

Compared to most on this thread, I am no world traveler. I've only been to 10 foreign countries, and two of those border the US, and 30 states plus the District of Columbia. But that is only one context. In another context - my office of about 30 people, I am the absolute most traveled person in the US or abroad. I worked with one girl who had never stepped outside Oklahoma! I couldn't believe it. I was 5 when I went to Dallas on a plane (Braniff) with my kindergarten class to go to Six Flags - besides the times I went to Arkansas, Texas and Kansas to visit family before that.

Living in OK, I cannot imagine not having a car. Where I live, you need one to get around because public transportation is practically non-existant and little is within walking distance. However in many place like NYC, people don't have cars. Same goes for many cosmopolitan cities aroudn the world.

I work with many who get as much vacation as I do (7-8 weeks), yet they use it to hang out at home or what ever. It's their time off and they can do what they want with it. I will continue to travel when and where we choose for reason of which we alone choose. It's really no one's business as to why or where people choose to go on vacation - especially since they aren't paying for it!

On reading through this thread I think that the lack of holidays is mainly the reason why a lot US citizens don't travel. I must admit I didn't realise this myself.

On other Nations not liking US citizens,personally I think that the people are some of the friendly people you could meet, maybe they may talk to loud though "Gee isn't that swell":D The problem is the US foreign policy which is detested , it may hurt to say this but it is true. We in the UK are a nation which is not liked also due to our recent foreign policy & of course our Colonial past.

A story to add to this, there is an annual singing contest called the Eurovision Song Contest which has all of Europe take part, the votes are done by each country ,they cast their votes & Great Britain usually finish near the bottom, twice in the recent years we were last. The voting is a joke as Nations usually vote for their neighbours & ethnic groups( our best votes come from Eire). Our host a Terry Wogan laughs at this & the contest & points out that the problem is that we are not a well liked country, tongue in cheek, with an element of truth?:mad:

On reading through this thread I think that the lack of holidays is mainly the reason why a lot US citizens don't travel. I must admit I didn't realise this myself.

On other Nations not liking US citizens,personally I think that the people are some of the friendly people you could meet, maybe they may talk to loud though "Gee isn't that swell":D The problem is the US foreign policy which is detested , it may hurt to say this but it is true. We in the UK are a nation which is not liked also due to our recent foreign policy & of course our Colonial past.

A story to add to this, there is an annual singing contest called the Eurovision Song Contest which has all of Europe take part, the votes are done by each country ,they cast their votes & Great Britain usually finish near the bottom, twice in the recent years we were last. The voting is a joke as Nations usually vote for their neighbours & ethnic groups( our best votes come from Eire). Our host a Terry Wogan laughs at this & the contest & points out that the problem is that we are not a well liked country, tongue in cheek, with an element of truth?:mad:

Can't really comment on citizens of the U.K. being liked or disliked. I do know I host a lot of people from different countries in the U.S. for work. All of them love coming to the U.S.

Political views? I won't even discuss politics with my family and friends, let alone someone from another country. My political beliefs are expressed in the voting booth and remains my business.

We have something similar to your European "singing contests". Here it's called "American Idol". To my knowledge, citizens from other countries have not competed on it.

Personally, I don't care for the show but American Idol is very popular here in the States.

this is the best eurovision entry ever!

If Great Britain got Morrissey to compete they would win.

Can't really comment on citizens of the U.K. being liked or disliked. I do know I host a lot of people from different countries in the U.S. for work. All of them love coming to the U.S.

Political views? I won't even discuss politics with my family and friends, let alone someone from another country. My political beliefs are expressed in the voting booth and remains my business.

We have something similar to your European "singing contests". Here it's called "American Idol". To my knowledge, citizens from other countries have not competed on it.

Personally, I don't care for the show but American Idol is very popular here in the States.

American Idol is not at all comparable to the Eurovision Song Contest. American Idol is for wannabes who have no talent and can't wait for fame. I believe it is for US citizens only which is why you haven't seen entrants from other countries. The Eurovision song contest is a contest between nations, with each nation putting up one entrant and all nations voting for their favourite entries awarding varying points for the top six or seven choices. It is held over one evening whereas American Idol unfortunately drags on and on over many weeks. American Idol is more like the X factor which Simon Cowell will be inflicting on you very shortly. X factor is similar to American Idol, but the judges get involved in mentoring four acts each at the live finals stages and it too drags on and on. Bet you cant wait eh ?

Dear friends:

What a nice memory you just brought back for us.

At the end of May 2010, we were on the NCL Gem Venice-Venice cruise.

What a fantastic night we had watching the Eurovision song contest on that huge screen next to the reception desk.

Lots of Brits, Germans, Spaniards -- people from many countries -- we all had a great time that night. You should have seen all the Germans roar when Germany won.

I don't think England loses frequently because of hatred from Europe. I think it has more to do with the fact that the English language already dominates the world of pop culture and people feel that Eurovision is a chance to give other countries an opportunity.

Voting is a joke, though -- it's always been that way.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

American Idol is not at all comparable to the Eurovision Song Contest. American Idol is for wannabes who have no talent and can't wait for fame. I believe it is for US citizens only which is why you haven't seen entrants from other countries. The Eurovision song contest is a contest between nations, with each nation putting up one entrant and all nations voting for their favourite entries awarding varying points for the top six or seven choices. It is held over one evening whereas American Idol unfortunately drags on and on over many weeks. American Idol is more like the X factor which Simon Cowell will be inflicting on you very shortly. X factor is similar to American Idol, but the judges get involved in mentoring four acts each at the live finals stages and it too drags on and on. Bet you cant wait eh ?

Thank God for good books and DVD's!

Thank God for good books and DVD's!

I agree with you. But just as DVD's and CD's have phased out good old vinyl, so the kindles and other digital reading devices will sadly spell the end of the "good book". No more libraries, no more reading in the bath.....

I agree with you. But just as DVD's and CD's have phased out good old vinyl, so the kindles and other digital reading devices will sadly spell the end of the "good book". No more libraries, no more reading in the bath.....

Libraries aren't going anywhere and you can read a Kindle in the bath (I do it as often as I read a paper book in the bath). The chief drawback of Kindle books has been that you couldn't lend them to friends and family as with printed books you own...but that is changing.

Literature is literature regardless of the format.

You should do a little research on the history of Eurovision before making comparisons. It's really not anything like American Idol.

I don't think anyone was asking you to comment on your politics. The poster was simply stating the objective fact that many U.S. policies are unpopular abroad. Whether you agree with that or not is not really relevant; it's not about you.

Libraries aren't going anywhere and you can read a Kindle in the bath (I do it as often as I read a paper book in the bath). The chief drawback of Kindle books has been that you couldn't lend them to friends and family as with printed books you own...but that is changing.

Literature is literature regardless of the format.

Nobody expected Woolworths to be going anywhere, but they disappeared. Books will go the same way as records. It may not be in the next few years, but over time they will disappear and so, eventually, will lending libraries. Yes you can read a Kindle in the bath but presumably you can't get it wet like a book. Why can't you lend someone your kindle, not owning one I have no idea why not ? Is it something to do with copyright law ?

graphicguy.

Political views? I am sorry to post about a subject you like to keep under cover, I apologise.

SPMorrissey.

Are you sure?? My favourite Morrissey track is "That's how people grow up"

Now the words......I was driving my car, I crashed & broke my spine, etc.,

A bit morbid for the Euro Song Contest me thinks;)

CruisinGerman.

I believe in the UK some people have Euro S.C. parties & join in the fun, the votes are the best part as one can guess what the different countries will vote, for example Cyprus will vote for Greece, Belarus for Russia, Estonia for Latvia etc. I only watch at vote time, the songs you can forget,(mostly sung in English though ?? ) but love to guess the votes & listen to our host say "They don't like us you know"

I think if Lennon & McCarthy put in one of their great songs now, I think that GB would still be near the bottom.:D

Cheers to all

graphicguy.

Political views? I am sorry to post about a subject you like to keep under cover, I apologise.

SPMorrissey.

CruisinGerman.

I believe in the UK some people have Euro S.C. parties & join in the fun, the votes are the best part as one can guess what the different countries will vote, for example Cyprus will vote for Greece, Belarus for Russia, Estonia for Latvia etc. I only watch at vote time, the songs you can forget,(mostly sung in English though ?? ) but love to guess the votes & listen to our host say "They don't like us you know"

I think if Lennon & McCarthy put in one of their great songs now, I think that GB would still be near the bottom.:D

Cheers to all

Shame on you Liverpoollad. Coming from Liverpool and not knowing the name of one of your greatest ever sons ? Lennon and who ?

I hang my head in shame:o:o & to think I went to the same school as Lennon & Harrison.

I did actually type McCathy & thought that it looked wrong, I added the r & thought that's OK & left it. This is my excuse & I am sticking to it.

Another story, I used to work a few minutes away from the Cavern & they had lunchtime sessions & the Beatles starred, I was into Mel Torme, Ella Fitz. & a fabulous US singer called Gene McDaniels in those days. I was invited to go to the Cavern many times but I wouldn't go as I thought that I couldn't belittle myself to watch nobodies, how wrong I was!!!!

Cheers

I hang my head in shame:o:o & to think I went to the same school as Lennon & Harrison.

I did actually type McCathy & thought that it looked wrong, I added the r & thought that's OK & left it. This is my excuse & I am sticking to it.

Another story, I used to work a few minutes away from the Cavern & they had lunchtime sessions & the Beatles starred, I was into Mel Torme, Ella Fitz. & a fabulous US singer called Gene McDaniels in those days. I was invited to go to the Cavern many times but I wouldn't go as I thought that I couldn't belittle myself to watch nobodies, how wrong I was!!!!

Cheers

Now that IS funny !

SPMorrissey.

Cheers to all

Well, Morrissey could always sing one of his more cheerful and upbeat songs like "Girlfriend in a Coma"...!!

I absolutely LOVE this thread....I am concerned that it has deteriorated to "my version of culture is better/more valuable than your version of culture." Surely, as we are all travelers, we all realize that different people have different interests, and depths of interest, and that this is one of great things about seeing different places-- you never know what will tickle your culture buds!!! Even the experts often disagree on who or what is the "greatest" building/person/place/art/music etc. in a given specialty. I think instead of arguing about which is the greatest, we should discuss WHY they are great-- who knows, maybe we will motivate someone to explore something new!!

I've had the pleasure to travel to 31 countries - sometimes for detailed travel (spent 5-weeks going all across Brazil) and sometimes a quick port visit if I'm on a cruise. Agree that it's very subjective on what country or culture is the "best". I see fun, beautiful or wonderful sites wherever I go and love the diverse cultural experiences. But if pressed, here's my humble opinion on "best of the best":

Best Day - Travelling along the Beagle channel through Chile.

Best Night - In South Africa, on a photo safari seeing Lions hunt

Best Event - At an event in London at the Guild Hall

Best Countries to Visit - Other than the US, Norway, Thailand or Italy.

Unlike most Americans who only get two or three weeks of vacation, I had my own consultant business and had the pleasure of working in other countries for extended periods of time (5-weeks in Brazil). This is where you get a more in-depth cultural understanding and really see the sites (often with nationals you work with assisting you in your travel desires with some great suggestions). I love to cruise but realize that you only get a quick taste of a culture - there's only so much you can learn and experience in a one-day port call.

I've gotten out of consulting so now I have to wait to build up enough time to use my three-weeks of vacation per year (on a cruise or land-based trip). Wish the US had an average of 7-weeks of vacation that the French do but expect I'll keep travelling and seeing the world (one vacation at a time).

Fair Winds and Following Seas, Russ

Nobody expected Woolworths to be going anywhere, but they disappeared. Books will go the same way as records. It may not be in the next few years, but over time they will disappear and so, eventually, will lending libraries. Yes you can read a Kindle in the bath but presumably you can't get it wet like a book. Why can't you lend someone your kindle, not owning one I have no idea why not ? Is it something to do with copyright law ?

You can lend a Kindle, but not the electronic "book" you purchase to read on it. Unlike a paper book, which can only be lent to one person at a time, a digital book could ostensibly be transmitted to thousands or millions if the user is not blocked from doing so. The alternative is to allow people to "lend" digital books for a couple of weeks at a time. It's not a perfect answer -- it does require people to be snappy about keeping up with their reading instead of letting it collect dust on their nightstands -- but it's a decent compromise.

I really don't think a chain of dime stores and the printed page are analogous. There will be many fewer printed books eventually, but they are not going to disappear during your lifetime or anytime soon after, not least because of the digital divide and partly because the two types of books are appropriate for different situations and venues.

graphicguy.

SPMorrissey.

Cheers to all

True, it's not camp enough. I was thinking a 2011 version of Last of the International Playboys or November Spawned a Monster.

Really? Native North Americans lived in a variety of homes, not every tribe used teepees....

http://www.native-languages.org/houses.htm

And if you include Mayans and Aztecs tribes within North America....

http://www.mexconnect.com/articles/1123-the-maya-civilization-cities-of-the-maya

http://www.mnsu.edu/emuseum/archaeology/sites/meso_america/tenochtitlan.html

The more you reply, the worse you show your ignorance...:eek:

Well, I didn't includes Mayans and Aztecs, since in my ignorance I did

not think they lived in the US, which was the topic.

Ignorant or not, I have at least visited all 50 states more than once, and overnighted in 70 foreign countries on six continents.

And I'm not done.

Archived