why Americans don't travel(as much as others) overseas:why they have less passports

smeyer418

WOW, What a great thread. How about an overseas perspective. After visiting the US several times and speaking with locals who always like to listen to our accents, we were astounded at how few holidays you actually get. We receive at least 4 weeks a year plus about 8 public holidays and if you're a school teacher you receive all the time off that the kids have, which is 3 x 2 weeks vacation a year plus 6-8 weeks at Christmas. Whether its the same over there with teachers I dont know but on our travels once we start talking to other US travellers abroard we find the majority of Americans travelling are retired school teachers.

As for the ugly American tag, be an overseas resident and mention the word TIPPING on these boards & honestly you will get hammered. Its like no-one other than Americans can give their perspective when it comes to that, read a few of the boards with an open mind to being anything but American and you will see what i mean.

From an outsider looking in, are Americans taught about the rest of the world? A recent quote from Oprah said it all. Oprah - 'We're going to Australia'. Guest - 'We're going to Austria'. Whether it was a slip of the tongue or they truly had no idea where they were going I dont know.

On a side note for those who don't venture too far and dont have passports. Did you know that when Chinese students learn English they do it with whatever accent the teacher has. Broken English by a chineseperson with an American, Australian, Irish or even German accent is one amazing thing out there in the world that you're missing out on. So grab a passport and see the world. Its a huge place.

Honestly.. the reason we limit our travel of outside of the US is simple.. Is there any where overseas where they actually like Americans? On my one and only trip to Europe, I found very few that did. That saddens me because I LOVE meeting people from different cultures, different languages, etc. A thrill for me when we travel to a foreign country is to go into a typical grocery store just because I love seeing what different foods they eat, etc. So it does make me sad that we don't feel comfortable taking land based trips abroad.

Welcome to my world too Terry. My greatest pleasure when travelling is meeting everyday people. Go into shops where no-one speaks English with currency you have no idea how to use and break the language barrier. PS I cant even work out the change in American currency. :o

We were in the US this past year driving around and what we wouldn't of done to have a home cooked meal with a family. Its much more interesting seeing how different cultures interact together than seeing all the sights. We travel off the beaten track a fair bit and we have found that Americans and Canadians have loved speaking with us. Though i'm not quite sure how we are portrayed on American television. Have been asked to say the word 'water'. Why? I've got no idea. But they think we say it funny.

Anyway try travelling away from the touristy spots and im sure you will find that you are portrayed in a different way. It could just be with the so few holidays that Americans get that they are in such a rush whilst on holidays, they come across as demanding and loud, that is why their sometimes seen as Ugly Americans. But I've met wonderful people everywhere on 4 previous trips to the US.

Welcome to my world too Terry. My greatest pleasure when travelling is meeting everyday people. Go into shops where no-one speaks English with currency you have no idea how to use and break the language barrier. PS I cant even work out the change in American currency. :o

We were in the US this past year driving around and what we wouldn't of done to have a home cooked meal with a family. Its much more interesting seeing how different cultures interact together than seeing all the sights. We travel off the beaten track a fair bit and we have found that Americans and Canadians have loved speaking with us. Though i'm not quite sure how we are portrayed on American television. Have been asked to say the word 'water'. Why? I've got no idea. But they think we say it funny.

Anyway try travelling away from the touristy spots and im sure you will find that you are portrayed in a different way. It could just be with the so few holidays that Americans get that they are in such a rush whilst on holidays, they come across as demanding and loud, that is why their sometimes seen as Ugly Americans. But I've met wonderful people everywhere on 4 previous trips to the US.

I wonder if America has any more "uglies" than anywhere else. I think it's an overused term, and most Americans you will meet are friendly and will go out of their way to do anything for you.

As for the ugly American tag, be an overseas resident and mention the word TIPPING on these boards & honestly you will get hammered. Its like no-one other than Americans can give their perspective when it comes to that, read a few of the boards with an open mind to being anything but American and you will see what i mean.

We happened to meet an Aussie couple during dinner one night in New York City. We got to talking with them and were shocked when they told us that almost every restaurant they had eaten in had taken the liberty of adding 18% to their checks without notifying them because they were expected not to tip - some of these were restaurants I had been to and I knew for a fact that they did not auto-grat as a rule, but had done so as soon as they heard a foreign accent.

We might be a tipping culture but I still refuse to reward bad service. I think most of the trouble on the boards comes in when people want to remove/adjust the DSC BEFORE having a bad experience, just because they're cheap. I have removed or not left tips in restaurants, but I have never had reason to adjust the DSC downwards... only to add more... :)

I wonder if America has any more "uglies" than anywhere else. I think it's an overused term, and most Americans you will meet are friendly and will go out of their way to do anything for you.

I don't believe we do. I've run into many other "uglies" both here and in other countries.

When I was in SA and on a 3 day tour to Kruger National Park, our guide said he liked Americans the best because they had the best sense of humor and were the easiest going, especially if something had to be changed along the way.:)

Honestly.. the reason we limit our travel of outside of the US is simple.. Is there any where overseas where they actually like Americans? On my one and only trip to Europe, I found very few that did. That saddens me because I LOVE meeting people from different cultures, different languages, etc. A thrill for me when we travel to a foreign country is to go into a typical grocery store just because I love seeing what different foods they eat, etc. So it does make me sad that we don't feel comfortable taking land based trips abroad.

Awww Terry I want to cry. Not everyone in Europe hates Americans but I will agree with some of the other posters who have said that there are good and bad in every country.

Please come back to Europe, maybe take a cruise, I'll join you and we can go around all the food shops and markets together because I love doing that myself. You and Doug make a date with me and we will do it.

From an outsider looking in, are Americans taught about the rest of the world? .

Sadly, we are not really taught much about the rest of the world. That's one things that REALLY bugs me about our educational system. We have 235 years as a nation, with a short history prior to that, and yet our kids are taught one year of world history (which has thousands of years of recorded history) and three or more of American history. My daughters went from studying Ancient Greece to WW1 in a matter of a few weeks! Even in advanced high school AP classes, there are two for American history, but only one for world history. Add our awful news coverage, and you end up with some pretty ignorant folk who likely could not identify Austria on a map (certainly not all or even most, but definitely some). When I was a child, I lived as an ex-pat in a few places around the world, even in Australia, mate ;). This instilled in me not only the urge to travel, but the comfort to do so freely. I was very lucky, and my kids were lucky too, having been to six continents by the time they were 10.. Many of my friends and family have a hard time leaving their comfort zone, and I try to understand, but I just can't. The world is so beautiful, so diverse, and so full of amazing

people - I can't imagine not seeing it all!

Edited to add: it is extremely hard to visit everywhere we want to go on with American workplace expectations.. Wish we could learn more about vacation time from other countries!

Robin

It could just be with the so few holidays that Americans get that they are in such a rush whilst on holidays, they come across as demanding and loud, that is why their sometimes seen as Ugly Americans.

Some friends of mine were team ministers at the church where Shakespeare is buried inside the church. They did not like americans at all because religious services such as weddings and funerals were rarely uninterupted by tourists who had only 20 minutes to visit the church before their bus left for the next site and they had to have a photograph of Shakespeares grave and would not take no for an answer. Ugly Americans indeed yet the ones I have become friends with on this board, met on cruises and met in the cities in the States I have stayed in have been fantastic folks. In fact on my last cruise I loved the Americans and Canadians I met through our roll call but ended up disliking the Brits because of their attitude to certain things on the ship.

I don't believe we do. I've run into many other "uglies" both here and in other countries.

When I was in SA and on a 3 day tour to Kruger National Park, our guide said he liked Americans the best because they had the best sense of humor and were the easiest going, especially if something had to be changed along the way.:)

I definately wouldn't think you have more 'uglies' than any other culture. I've found when we're on holidays if the slightest thing goes wrong there will be some who just take it in their stride and others who think i need refunding, compensating or a first child sacrifice to fix up any minor detail. :eek: Nah just kidding about the child sacrifice. But this is from all walks of life, nationalities and ages. Some travellers feel when on holidays that everything revolves around them.

As for travelling to Australia in Kruger National Park, Aussie tourism companies love Americans. Again, the tipping. You still tip even in foreign countries. Who's not going to love you for that. So grab a passport and take a cruise to Australia, New Zealand or Fiji. Better still fly here and then take a return cruise. Im sure you will love it. PS Im sure i could throw another steak on the barbie for you.

...we are louder, larger, and less well-dressed than almost anyone...

Funny story: My SIL's parents were Peace Corps volunteers, and she was born in Ethiopia. They have lots of African friends - many of whom they have sponsored to come to the U.S. One year, I spent Easter with my DB and SIL. They also invited some college student friends who were in town - 2 Ethiopian and 2 Kenyan (if I remember correctly.) Of course, the only Ethiopians I had ever seen were famine victims on TV. I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't who I met: 4 beautiful ladies who looked and dressed like fashion models. And there I was in jeans. ;)

Terry, I too shared that attitude - until I went overseas. The first time was a TA that ended in Barcelona. Unfortunately the Spanish weren't as welcoming as the people we've met in Mexico. However we flew to Ireland and the people we met were wonderful.

We returned to Italy for 3 days before our Med cruise and I expected an anti-American attitude. Exactly opposite. The Italians were so nice and helpful. I was very surprised at the number who spoke English and the few times they didn't they put us in touch with those who could help us.

In fact my wife and I commented that the people of Rome were more helpful and friendly then when we were in Manhattan!

Terry, I too shared that attitude - until I went overseas. The first time was a TA that ended in Barcelona. Unfortunately the Spanish weren't as welcoming as the people we've met in Mexico. However we flew to Ireland and the people we met were wonderful.

We returned to Italy for 3 days before our Med cruise and I expected an anti-American attitude. Exactly opposite. The Italians were so nice and helpful. I was very surprised at the number who spoke English and the few times they didn't they put us in touch with those who could help us.

In fact my wife and I commented that the people of Rome were more helpful and friendly then when we were in Manhattan!

I found the people in Germany and Belgium about a million times more friendly than anyone that works in the Philadelphia International Airport :)

There are things I want to see in this world before I die. I like to expand my horizons. Others like to stay in their comfort zones. That said, if we are on Cruise Critic, don't we all need passports now?:)

Being from NYC just stay a long weekend in San Antonio.

Let's also be real the distance between NYC and San Antonio (1850) is actually more than from London to Madrid (785 miles or 1263 kilometers). So while someone living in London NEEDS a passport to travel to Spain people living in NY don't need one to travel to Texas.

The author of the CNN article bemoans the fact that Americans don't seem to travel as much as other nations but I really challenge that. How many people have visited all 50 states (or at least the 48 continuous states)? There are MANY reasons why US citizens don't travel abroad. If the price of oil continues to escalate and airfare continues to rise I know we'll be staying in the US.

There are "uglies" from everywhere, I've seen some of them in action!! I just think Americans are more visible and thus easier to label. I thought of one more reason (maybe) why Americans don't travel-- what we see on these boards, the "OMG Roatan is the worst place ever, don't get off the ship, it's so filthy and poor!!" people. Roatan is actually the port I am most looking forward to on my upcoming cruise, I can't wait to see something new!! I think there's often just an extraordinary discomfort at suddenly coming face-to-face with how most of the world lives. Our concept of what constitutes poverty in the US is often so far off the mark that we are simply ill-prepared to deal with it. And that perception of poverty may be one of the things that keeps Americans from traveling-- they don't want to see it again/heard about it from a friend/don't realize that there is a great time to be had even in impoverished places, and that they are supporting those local economies. After the quake here in Haiti, there was a lot of discussion about whether cruise ships should continue to call at Labadie; people felt that in order to be supportive and sympathetic to Haiti, they needed to stay away and let us deal with the aftermath, but Haitians were begging for the tourists to come, because that was their only source of income.

Re: tipping, every country has its own tipping culture, and it's important to learn it when you travel rather than to try to impose your own. When I lived in Paris, pre-Euro, you tipped a taxi driver 2-3 francs per trip, never more, and it pained me to only tip what came out to 30-50 cents, but that's what was expected.

And finally, SDMike, even though I have lived in one of the toughest countries in the world for many years now and traveled alone in a lot of countries when I was younger, there are places that intimidate me that I don't think I could do without a guide or a local friend. That's how I feel about a lot of Asia, where I have never been and am dying to go-- I think I will need some handholding to make it happen!! I never suffered from this when I was young, I could go anywhere on a couple of days' notice, but I think I know enough about the world now to recognize my own limitations. Anyway, it won't keep me from getting there one day, just with help. ;)

I am glad that the article referred by OP lists first as a reason for fewer passports in the U.S. the fact that the country has such an immense diversity of natural wonders. Although, for example, Europe has gorgeous mountains, rivers and villages, its geography pales in comparison to the U.S. For starters there are:

Grand Canyon, by far the largest canyon on earth

Yellowstone, the largest thermal basin on earth

Crater Lake, the deepest crater lake on earth

Mammoth Cave, the longest cave on earth (by a good factor of 2!)

Meteor Crater, the largest intact impact crater on earth

Yosemite, the largest exposed granite monolith on earth

Arches Natl Park, the greatest density of arches on earth

Sequoia Natl Park, containing the largest living organisms on earth

Niagara, one of the three largest cataracts on earth

And those are just some of the record setters. Is it a surprise that so many Americans do not feel the need to go abroad to see wondrous things?

Bill

PS: Just for the record, I've been to 100+ nations, and would never deny how much can be enjoyed and learned from foreign cultures. However, there is no other nation, or even continent, which has the natural wonders of the U.S.

I can't stand threads like these. Sorry OP;) They always turn into a forum where it's apparently ok to continue perpetuating the myth that Americans are ignorant, unenlightened, boorish, fat, self-centered, uneducated, loud, stupid etc. etc. etc. You name it. Has anyone counted how many times the term "ugly American" has been used just in this one thread? Has anyone ever seen or used the term "ugly German" or Australian or Nigerian etc. etc? Probably not. However, the truth is there are people from all cultures and nations who posess the same negative qualities that Americans are so often accused of. The difference is it's not ok to point out the short comings of other cultures-only of Americans. Example, it's ok to make fun and belittle those Americans who wear white sneakers and shorts and eat big macs, but it's not ok to be grossed out that some Asians eat dogs and go barefoot on filthy streets. Instead it's called being culturally insensitive and ignorant on the part of the American. WTH?

Another thing that I find strange is how Americans themselves will be the first to jump in on downing their fellow countrymen and women and shout out that 'yeah, us Americans are so stupid' (of course the person doing the posting is the exception). I wonder if the French or the people of any other nationalities happily jump in on forum discussions anxious to have the opportunity to point out how stupid they act and dress? I seriously doubt it.

I can't stand threads like these. Sorry OP;) They always turn into a forum where it's apparently ok to continue perpetuating the myth that Americans are ignorant, unenlightened, boorish, fat, self-centered, uneducated, loud, stupid etc. etc. etc. You name it. Has anyone counted how many times the term "ugly American" has been used just in this one thread? Has anyone ever seen or used the term "ugly German" or Australian or Nigerian etc. etc? Probably not. However, the truth is there are people from all cultures and nations who posess the same negative qualities that Americans are so often accused of. The difference is it's not ok to point out the short comings of other cultures-only of Americans. Example, it's ok to make fun and belittle those Americans who wear white sneakers and shorts and eat big macs, but it's not ok to be grossed out that some Asians eat dogs and go barefoot on filthy streets. Instead it's called being culturally insensitive and ignorant on the part of the American. WTH?

Another thing that I find strange is how Americans themselves will be the first to jump in on downing their fellow countrymen and women and shout out that 'yeah, us Americans are so stupid' (of course the person doing the posting is the exception). I wonder if the French or the people of any other nationalities happily jump in on forum discussions anxious to have the opportunity to point out how stupid they act and dress? I seriously doubt it.

OP, I am really enjoying this thread and I'm glad you started it. It's interesting to see a group of experienced travelers from all walks of life try to figure out why Americans don't travel abroad as much as people from other countries, especially given the fact that we rarely need visas and generally have more disposable income for things like travel.

Generalizations are often exaggerations, but there is also often a grain of truth in them. We're all relating our own experiences and observations; I don't think this is a case of a bunch of Americans belittling themselves. On the contrary, I think it's great to live in a country where the press can identify something that sets us apart from our peers and we can discuss it. And yes, other cultures are also introspective. I have had many conversations with foreigners in which they discuss what they DO like about Americans and what they DON'T like about their own culture. I should add that several of these conversations have been with French people, since you single them out. We Americans don't have a lock on self-examination. :p

Re: your last paragraph about how "WE Americans are so stupid" (sorry, the grammar cop couldn't resist the correction:o), I don't think anyone has said that. There have been some comments about American education, but nothing saying Americans are more stupid than others. Intelligence and education are not necessarily related, as you undoubtedly know. I hope this discussion continues, I am really enjoying it.

OP, I am really enjoying this thread and I'm glad you started it. It's interesting to see a group of experienced travelers from all walks of life try to figure out why Americans don't travel abroad as much as people from other countries, especially given the fact that we rarely need visas and generally have more disposable income for things like travel.

Generalizations are often exaggerations, but there is also often a grain of truth in them. We're all relating our own experiences and observations; I don't think this is a case of a bunch of Americans belittling themselves. On the contrary, I think it's great to live in a country where the press can identify something that sets us apart from our peers and we can discuss it. And yes, other cultures are also introspective. I have had many conversations with foreigners in which they discuss what they DO like about Americans and what they DON'T like about their own culture. I should add that several of these conversations have been with French people, since you single them out. We Americans don't have a lock on self-examination. :p

Re: your last paragraph about how "WE Americans are so stupid" (sorry, the grammar cop couldn't resist the correction:o), I don't think anyone has said that. There have been some comments about American education, but nothing saying Americans are more stupid than others. Intelligence and education are not necessarily related, as you undoubtedly know. I hope this discussion continues, I am really enjoying it.

There are more things I like - LOVE - about being an American/other Americans than there are things I dislike, and I am not so arrogant to pretend that the things I dislike do not exist or do not bother other people.

Self-examination and criticism is not a sign of anything other than honesty.

Do you know how many times I have been asked by Americans if we really live in igloos, and have sled dogs? I am Canadian.

I can relate. People think we ride horses to work here in Texas. The last time I rode a horse was 2 years ago on a NCL excursion.

The American view of what exists outside America is amply illustrated by the fact that you have a "world series" which consists (and I stand to be corrected) almost entirely of teams from the US and a few from Canada. In other words there seems to be a "we are the world" mentality which carries through into attitudes to travel.

I kind of feel bad about my post. It made it seem like every where we went we were treated badly, and I didn't mean that at all. We spent five weeks there (in Europe) and were in four countries. Only one of them treated us badly. SDMike may have been correct, even though I believe he was joking. A friend of mine told me that in this country that we had problems in being fat is considered a mental illness.. in fact they could take your children away from you for being overweight. He had gone to college there for two years and had learned that in a course he took. Germany, England and Amsterdam were WONDERFUL and the people amazing.

I really do hope I did not give the wrong impression. I have friends from all over the world and I love love love meeting all kinds of people from all walks of life and from all over the world.

As far as Americans and how we act... I wont comment except to say that I have been embarrassed MANY times by the way I saw a fellow American acting towards a crew member or staff member of a cruise ship, hotel, etc. While I am proud to be an American and do believe we live in a wonderful country, sometimes we do need to look at how we act and what we expect from others. Maybe that could be said about any country and it's people, but I guess I just am more aware of how my fellow citizens act when we are out of our own element. 8-)

I hope my posting did not offend any of my CC friends. You guys know I love ya. 8-)

Awww Terry I want to cry. Not everyone in Europe hates Americans but I will agree with some of the other posters who have said that there are good and bad in every country.

Please come back to Europe, maybe take a cruise, I'll join you and we can go around all the food shops and markets together because I love doing that myself. You and Doug make a date with me and we will do it.

You KNOW you are one of my favorites and that I would love to be on the same cruise as you. I keep my fingers crossed it will happen some day. 8-)

Archived