why Americans don't travel(as much as others) overseas:why they have less passports

smeyer418

I think a major reason is work culture as mentioned in the article. In Europe, most get 5 weeks vacation a year -- plenty of time to travel abroad. Here, we get 2 weeks a year, 3 if we're lucky. By the time you use up some of that vacation to travel for the holidays, there's not much time for any sort of meaningful overseas travel.

Personally, I'd rather be paid a little less and get more time off to travel, but my job certainly wouldn't go for that. There are people I work with who are actually proud that they haven't taken their vacation in years.

My husband and I travel a lot. Probably 4-6 weeks per year. I'm lucky in that he owns his own business and we do okay on his salary alone. I also used to work and am between jobs now because of a layoff. Let me tell you, I get some weird looks when I tell employers I'll be gone for 10 days in February and then 12 days in May. I don't tell them that we'll go away one or twice either in the summer or the fall as well.

My husband and I are not willing to give up our travels to satisfy an employer. I'm happy his income is such that we don't have to.

My first cruise was 13 days in the Baltic Capitals at the invitation of my parents. I remember my reaction when my mother first suggested it. I was appalled! I couldn't possibly take that much time off work! I think the most vacation I'd taken in 3 years was a 5-day weekend including a holiday. How could I possibly take 2 1/2 weeks (even though I had it at my disposal.) In the end, I took the cruise more to keep my sister company than I went for myself.

Of course, I'm glad I went, but I did pay the price in the end. When my employer was closing up shop, I got laid off before my co-worker. When I asked why I was going first, I was told, "Well, when you were on vacation, she showed that she could do your job." I guess I should have been more vocal about all the messes I had to clean up when I got home. :rolleyes:

I think the article pretty much nailed it...With lack of vacation time and the cost of going oversea's being the 2 biggies...The US has a real "work" culture, ( and that's not implying that other countries don't)...Suppose you could say the US has an OVER work culture.

My ex finally worked up to 4 weeks of vacation a year, but they were strongly discouraged from taking it in more than 1 week increments...Technically you could do it, but it was frowned on...So quite honestly 2 days of flying, 2 days of jet-lag, and 5 days of touring in Europe ( or anywhere else) doesn't sound that much fun or relaxing...Nor worth the cost.

And as the article stated, there are so many options here in the US, ( beach, mountains, desert, cities, etc.), that when you take into account what I said above, it doesn't make sense for a lot of people...Of course I realize that's completely ignoring the whole cultural education you gain when leaving the country, but for a lot of Americans that's just not high on their bucket list given time and cost involved in it.

My current partner is from the UK and when he first talked about going away for 2 weeks, I thought WHAT??...2 weeks in basically the same place??...I've got the time, ( and basically the resources), to do it, but I'm still not use to it, and can't honestly say I enjoy being away that long...I'm much happier with long 4 day weekends, ( maybe 5)...Beyond that I get very antsy...So it must be a cultural thing...But, I'm working on it!! :D

Honestly.. the reason we limit our travel of outside of the US is simple.. Is there any where overseas where they actually like Americans? On my one and only trip to Europe, I found very few that did. That saddens me because I LOVE meeting people from different cultures, different languages, etc. A thrill for me when we travel to a foreign country is to go into a typical grocery store just because I love seeing what different foods they eat, etc. So it does make me sad that we don't feel comfortable taking land based trips abroad.

Travel (particularly overseas travel) is a big priority to me. I find ways to make my vacation time stretch to at least two trips of around 2 weeks each year by working around paid holidays, including weekends at both ends, etc. I work in a setting where vacations aren't a priority, but I've put in my time and actually have had to cancel two vacations that I planned due to work -- so I guess they realize I'm dedicated. :cool:

As to people abroad -- it's odd, but in all my travels I don't think I've run across anyone who didn't like Americans. In fact occasionally I've even asked people in other countries if it's true that they "don't like America" and most are hasty in assuring that while they don't always like the POLICIES of our country, they can separate that from liking/disliking INDIVIDUALS that they meet. I find they are better at doing that (separating politics from individuals) than a lot of Americans I know....

Hi Terry, glad the ice & snow is melting finally. Chris and I have traveled several times to Europe and have not experienced unfriendliness. We Texans are such an outgoing bunch, even the Super Bowl attendees are commenting on it. Anyway, you and Terry should give it another try. Our favorite was a Soldier's Tour we took in 2007 that went to several WWII sites. It included the American Cemetery in Normandy and the cemetery where Patton is buried.

I love going to the grocery stores too for the same reason as you; isn't that funny?

TERRYMEX

I am very sorry you've had a less than happy experience in Europe. I, on the other hand, have had wonderful trips there. Even in Egypt it was a very pleasureable experience. I got to speak with the 'locals', drank tea, and got to feel a tiny tiny bit of the Egyptian hospitality. In Malta we had a great time, even though it was loaded with tourists, everyone was accommodating and very keen to be helpful. I've lived in Germany for a few years and never had an 'anti-american' experience, although one year when I was at university there were a lot of protests about the pershing II missles that were being planted over there. Croatia was super! We were even invited to have a grappa and snacks with the B&B owner when we settled our final bill and had a nice conversation about how things were during the Balkan War that had recently ended a couple of years prior.

I am always amazed at how little time off Americans get, I am fortunate to earn 5 weeks of leave a year and also am allowed to carry time over into the following year if I haven't used it all up. Hence the fact that I can go for a month's time if I can get the dogsitter to agree to that time period.

I guess I've been in the minority all my life, I've had a passport since I was about 6 months old. We've been fortunate enough to travel for extended periods, seen almost all of the U.S. camping for 6 weeks every year with my family when I was younger. I can't live without vacations and would hate to have a job where I'd only get 2 weeks a year.

As one of the 60% of Canadians with a passport, I will offer my two cents. Percentage wise, I think a larger percentage of the Canadian population has relatives that live abroad compared to the US. This is just my opinion - not fact by any means.....I am a teacher, and just looking around my classroom, about 20% are foreign born, 70% of parents or grand-parents that were foreign born, and only about 10% have no direct old-world connection (whatever that old world may be).

Using myself as an example, my brother and I were born here...my parents came from Italy at the age of 17 and 19. I still have a 95 year old grandmother living in Italy and dozens upon dozens of relatives. In addition I have relatives in Switzerland, Luxembourg, and France...I have been visiting the home land since I was a child and will continue to do so.

Other than the tourist destinations (like Venice), I have yet to meet an American in Italy visiting Italy...although I am sure many do. perhaps Americans are to far removed from their original roots to travel as such, and therefore less likely to require passports.

Just my opinion, and hopefully I did not offend anyone..

As an American who has lived abroad for almost all of the past 15 years, in both Europe and the Caribbean, I can say that I think there are a variety of reasons why we don't travel abroad as much as others. I think the work culture, as many have mentioned, is a big part of it-- not so much that we are more dedicated to our jobs, but that European cultures very much protect your job, so you won't lose it because you take leave, and long vacations and other benefits are not just extended to employees, but they are really expected to take advantage. For example, many offices simply CLOSE for the month of August, so even if you are an American who can't think of anything you'd rather do than work, it's not really an option. :rolleyes:

There is also the size of the country to consider-- the US is enormous with a varied geography not matched by many countries. So there are a lot of Americans who travel extensively within the US, exposing themselves to the different cultures and climates there, but who never leave the country.

Finally, I do think there is a cultural barrier. I think we are very self-oriented in the US-- we have dominated the world for more than two generations in government, business and culture, sometimes to the detriment of other countries. Our strength has perhaps made us less curious about or tolerant of others. I have a lot of dear friends who refuse to come visit me in Haiti (OK, it is an extreme example), but everyone who has come here has come back at least once-- I've never had someone visit and say they would never do it again! And on the other hand, I remember very good friends who brought cheese when they came to visit me in Paris-- seriously!!! :eek: Anyway, my point is that "different" becomes less comfortable or less comprehensible, and is maybe just a challenge a lot of Americans don't feel like taking precisely because it isn't a cultural norm.

I don't find that people abroad are hostile to Americans-- on the contrary, most people want to present their country in a positive light and will try to communicate with you or help you, the same as we do in the US. I have twice been saved by the kindness of strangers in a foreign country. I do think it is helpful to learn a few words in their language and to study their behaviors to learn what is or is not appropriate. But I can also tell you that we stick out like sore thumbs when we travel abroad-- we are louder, larger, and less well-dressed than almost anyone (I won't name my exceptions so as not to offend anyone!), so we make a bit of a target of ourselves. I have been very fortunate to have the opportunity to spend so much time in other countries, but I can also say that I am always happy to go home and I look forward to the day when I am back for good-- because I know I will keep traveling and seeing new places no matter what!!

I didn't bother to go to the link, but there are several reasons that Americans don't go abroad.

One being that this country is so big that we could spend every vacation we have here, and not see it all. In Europe other countries are smaller than many states. Since I live in California I can drive 700 miles and not leave the state. You couldn't do that in Europe unless you are in Russia or you are driving in circles.

Many American's are self absorbed. They think that everyone should speak English, and have American customs. I believe that is what is referred to as 'ugly Americans'. :cool:

There are so many ignorant Americans that have no concepts of foreign countries and their people. I am an advisor for a world wide student exchange group called AFS. We send and accept students all over the world. As a result of my interaction with these student, I now have friends in too many countries to list here. We learn about their food, customs, religions, and their families while they learn about us.

It is my dream to take a repo cruise to Europe after I retire and spend a few months going from one country to another visiting my friends. My bucket list is getting longer and longer. :p

You would not believe the questions that are asked by our American kids. To my German son : Do you speak German? A student from Portugal was asked if she drove over here in her car? The poor kids from Asian countries are asked or worse harassed about eating dog. :mad: These student are peppered with questions about living in homes that have running water, do they have cars? On and on. Most Americans must have funked geography, because they cannot even come close to having basic understanding about other countries, including location, language, foods and religion.

My philiosophy in life is a quote from "Travels with my Aunt": Life is a banquet and most SOBs are starving to death.

Honestly.. the reason we limit our travel of outside of the US is simple.. Is there any where overseas where they actually like Americans? On my one and only trip to Europe, I found very few that did. That saddens me because I LOVE meeting people from different cultures, different languages, etc. A thrill for me when we travel to a foreign country is to go into a typical grocery store just because I love seeing what different foods they eat, etc. So it does make me sad that we don't feel comfortable taking land based trips abroad.

I, too, am confused by this because I have always had positive experiences when abroad, no matter the country. I'm sorry you haven't enjoyed your travel as much as you should have been able to.

As to people abroad -- it's odd, but in all my travels I don't think I've run across anyone who didn't like Americans. In fact occasionally I've even asked people in other countries if it's true that they "don't like America" and most are hasty in assuring that while they don't always like the POLICIES of our country, they can separate that from liking/disliking INDIVIDUALS that they meet. I find they are better at doing that (separating politics from individuals) than a lot of Americans I know....

Very well put; this has been our experience also, without exception.

I'm so sad to hear you say that, Terry. We take land and cruise vacations abroad and I've very rarely felt that Americans were disliked. (So far, I've been tmultiple times o England, Scotland, France, Italy, Croatia and Greece and can't wait to expand that list.) The overwhelming reaction we get is excitment to meet Americans and practice English or, in very touristy areas, just regular friendliness because they are used to us. Maybe you could try again?

ETA: I see that others have already responded to you, Terry. Sorry to be repetitive. I agree with those that would wish for more vacation. I consider myself lucky to have 3 weeks and it is really tough fitting it all in!

Maybe it's just you they don't like? :p j/k

I spent a week in Amsterdam and had a great time. The locals were gracious hosts, and where I was from was never, ever an issue other than in a positive way.

Do you know how many times I have been asked by Americans if we really live in igloos, and have sled dogs? I am Canadian.
Don't feel too bad; I live in New Mexico and we are regularly told our subscriptions cannot be mailed to a foreign country, there are extra shipping charges for overseas destinations and we are even complimented on our ability to speak English.

(And if anyone reading this still doesn't understand why the preceeding sentence is sadly funny, New Mexico IS one of the 50 United States.)

Read more real-life examples HERE

ok..normally I'm not the grammar police, but the subject line for this thread bugs me for some reason. Americans don't have less passports. Fewer Americans have passports, or more accurately, a smaller percentage of Americans have passports.

With all the abominable grammar on message boards, including my own :) , I'm not sure why this one bugged me. Normally it doesn't.

Flame suit, engaged. :)

I also agree there are a lot of reasons we don't travel abroad as much, including many that have mentioned here. The US is very diverse, and we can find a huge variety of options without ever leaving the country. Heck, California alone has deserts, beaches, some of the tallest mountains in the world, redwood forests, etc. I want to add a personal one that's hard for me to admit... I'm uncomfortable in places where different languages and monetary systems confuse me. Amsterdam was an exception for me because it was a business trip I HAD to make, plus I had a friend there. Turns out that most Dutch also speak English, and I figured out the Euro pretty quickly. But I can tell you, Europeans can get in the car and in a matter of hours drive through 10 languages and monetary systems (well, used to be that way). They are MUCH more likely to go somewhere outside their comfort zone. They're used to it. In the US, we're not, and I think that's a real factor. My folks travel a lot, but only with tours where there is someone to help them. Someone asked me if I wanted to go to Rome, Paris, etc...and my answer was "would there be someone along to help me?" Maybe I'm alone in this, but I think it's a bigger deal for Americans to get outside their comfort zone, and this impacts their willingness to travel like some of the other factors do.

Don't feel too bad; I live in New Mexico and we are regularly told our subscriptions cannot be mailed to a foreign country, there are extra shipping charges for overseas destinations and we are even complimented on our ability to speak English.

Oh wow. We could start an entirely new thread on the US educational system, couldn't we? :)

So, when they compliment your ability to speak English, do you compliment them back just to really confuse them?

Archived