why Americans don't travel(as much as others) overseas:why they have less passports

smeyer418

A few years ago my husband and I flew to Mallorca for a vacation. One store clerk mentioned that very few Americans travel there.

We told him that it required three flights to arrive, and three more to return home. That might be a factor. We had a fabulous time, and returned twice more.

We also visited Funchal, Madeira. Few Americans but probable for the same reasons. Mulitple flights required.

This is one of the very reasons that I love cruising...

On my NCL TA we had the pleasure of visiting the charming and picturesque Funchal. If not for cruising I doubt I would have ever made it there.

Well then, 2 of them are living in this household. Maybe they should go back to teaching geography again. :rolleyes: We really do need to know.

When I was little I loved looking through our Atlas, almanac and encyclopedias. Or I would close my eyes and spin the globe, open them and imagine going there, (ok, lots of times I would end up in the middle of the Pacific nowhere near land, haha).

Nowadays, do people even own these things?

And any girl that is from California sleeps with any guy anywhere at any time.

so how YOU doin? :D

Sorry...that "Joey" from the show Friends line came to mind with that one. I agree about California to a certain degree. Most people don't know that San Diego is basically a mountainous desert. They're surprised when they arrive and it doesn't look like Venice Beach everywhere. :)

oh my goodness.. you really should go to Yellowstone. It is honestly one of the most amazing places we have ever visited. We spent 9 days there and thought that was too short of a time.

Terry, I'm glad you realized my comment several pages ago was very much a joke. :) If being fat is a crime, they wouldn't let me off the plane in that country.

I agree about yellowstone too. I just don't want to be there when it finally decides to explode.

Yosemite is simply amazing as well.

Interesting thread. I had often wondered what percentage of Americans had passports.

Reasons (or excuses) for not traveling are interesting, but I think today many people are simply afraid to.

As for not having enough time, at least seven of my visits to Europe were over long weekends. Many European flag airlines used to have weekend specials with airfare and a hotel and sometimes passes for trams etc for very little cost.

As for attitudes about Americans experienced abroad, it was my own personal experience that this varied depending on who occupied the White House. Certainly when I got my first passport in the mid 1960s, there were not Canadian covers for it for sale to slip over the outside of the US ones.

so how YOU doin? :D

Sorry...that "Joey" from the show Friends line came to mind with that one. I agree about California to a certain degree. Most people don't know that San Diego is basically a mountainous desert. They're surprised when they arrive and it doesn't look like Venice Beach everywhere. :)

Didn't fit the mold, sorry to disappoint them. :D Mostly those in the military, (that were attracted to anything that was female with two legs).

Think "Earth girls are easy". :eek:

Been married for 31 years to a great guy, who just retired from the military.

Our exchange students are so happy when they learn they are going to California. Then they are shocked when they learn that the nearest beach is 3 hours away, that THE OC, is 6 hours away, and SF is 3 hour drive, without traffic. Then the topper is that they will be living in an area that has an agricultural based economy.

The bonus is skiing in the Sierra Nevadas, which include Yosemite, Sequoia and even Lake Tahoe.

I think the main reason why Americans don't travel abroad is we don't get as many vacation days off as others. Most Americans get less than 20 vacation days a year. A typical vacation days earned follows a formula like this, 7 to 10 days the first year and adding a day every other year. By year 20 having a total of just 17 to 20 days of vacation.

Most Americans take vacations during the Holidays, the potential 5 work days between Christmas and New Years eats into the few vacations days we get, not leaving much left for long vacations. Those working on assembly lines usually are forced to take vacations when the line is shutdown. If they take long vacations the rest of the year, they don't earn vacation pay when the assembly lines are shutdown.

In rural areas, activities like hunting, fishing, and camping are very popular. Along the coasts, going to the beach are very popular. In mountainous areas, skiing is very popular. Popular recreation activities and family get togethers consume most Americans days of vacation. Touring to foreign lands requires sacrificing recreation and family vacations that year. Instead, when Americans want to take a vacation as tourists, we go to Disney, Las Vegas, Reno, Miami, New York, Washington D.C.; something that can be done over a long weekend, extending a weekend by taking just a few days of vacation.

I suggest Americans favor taking cruises for week long vacations....

Didn't fit the mold, sorry to disappoint them. :D Mostly those in the military, (that were attracted to anything that was female with two legs).

Think "Earth girls are easy". :eek:

Been married for 31 years to a great guy, who just retired from the military.

Our exchange students are so happy when they learn they are going to California. Then they are shocked when they learn that the nearest beach is 3 hours away, that THE OC, is 6 hours away, and SF is 3 hour drive, without traffic. Then the topper is that they will be living in an area that has an agricultural based economy.

The bonus is skiing in the Sierra Nevadas, which include Yosemite, Sequoia and even Lake Tahoe.

Ah! I agree. I used to live in Sacramento. Flat, dusty, boring and hotter than hades too. A couple of hours to SF and similar to Tahoe, so it wasn't' all that bad. Now I'm 5 miles from the beach, so much more stereotypical, but unless you're within a mile of it you might as well be in anywhereville. :)

I actually like cruises, in part, because it disconnects me from my work. Maybe it's my profession, company, etc., but it's VERY hard to disappear and not check emails and such, even when on vacation.

In fact, it's after 11pm here and I'm having an email exchange with my boss who is two hours AHEAD of me. Sometimes I think we're nuts.

My background; South African tour guide.

As a tour guide my experience with American tourists is they are far too apologetic for their own country, overtip and try and make you feel at home in your own country!!

When they eventually make it onto a safari trip and visit South Africa they are the most appreciative kind generous guests to be found.

Pity there are not more coming this way.

Unlike the Europeans guests, Americans insist guides and drivers are included in meals and are treated as part of the group. No waiting outside for the guests to finish dining. (Up to three hour meals for the French sometimes!!)

I laugh in the face of anyone who mentions the "ugly american" example. Do not get me wrong they are there, but in no more or less precentages than many many other nationalities.

As to why they do not travel. My guess would be that the education, culture and lifestyle is America-centric. 50 States which could just as well be 50 countries. (Most continents excluding the Americas and Antartica have an average of 50 countries.)

It is what it is and will most likely only change when America and Americans becomes more globally aware. Ironic that the greatest nation on earth does not get to see it. Much like Queen Victoria who reigned over so many countries and yet never left Great Britain.

Ignorance is bliss!!!

As for attitudes about Americans experienced abroad, it was my own personal experience that this varied depending on who occupied the White House.

Yes! This is sooo true!! When we were in Marrakech right after the 2009 inauguration, one of our group members was an older African American woman. Everywhere we went, people would approach her (and only her), touch her on the shoulder, and say "Obama!".. She got the biggest kick out of it! When I was speaking to our guide over tea, I asked him why this was happening. He said that most of the news they heard about the USA lately was how happy African Americans were to have Obama as president. I joked with him and asked him if Bush were still president, would they approach the rest of us and kick us with cowboy boots? lol

Robin

Terry, I'm glad you realized my comment several pages ago was very much a joke. :) If being fat is a crime, they wouldn't let me off the plane in that country.

I agree about yellowstone too. I just don't want to be there when it finally decides to explode.

Yosemite is simply amazing as well.

Actually, you're better off being there when it explodes -- instant, painless death rather than the very extended and much more painful version you'll get in San Diego! Or the longer, more drawn-out version the plains states will get. There will be a dense layer of ash all the way to the Mississippi at least, and crop failures all over the country.

Why, yes, I am fun at parties. Why do you ask? ;)

As a tour guide my experience with American tourists is they are far too apologetic for their own country, overtip and try and make you feel at home in your own country!!

When they eventually make it onto a safari trip and visit South Africa they are the most appreciative kind generous guests to be found.

Unlike the Europeans guests, Americans insist guides and drivers are included in meals and are treated as part of the group. No waiting outside for the guests to finish dining. (Up to three hour meals for the French sometimes!!)

I laugh in the face of anyone who mentions the "ugly american" example. Do not get me wrong they are there, but in no more or less precentages than many many other nationalities.

As to why they do not travel. My guess would be that the education, culture and lifestyle is America-centric. 50 States which could just as well be 50 countries. (Most continents excluding the Americas and Antartica have an average of 50 countries.)

It is what it is and will most likely only change when America and Americans becomes more globally aware. Ironic that the greatest nation on earth does not get to see it. Much like Queen Victoria who reigned over so many countries and yet never left Great Britain.

Ignorance is bliss!!!

I sadly tend to agree with this - America-centric is a very good way to describe it.. It's not the fault of anyone here really, we have so much going on in this huge nation that there isn't much time to for the media to concentrate on anywhere else. I only wish our media would dedicate 10% of the time they spend discussing politics to covering some global issues. Egypt is big in the news here now, but I can't tell you how many tragedies, discoveries, disruptions, etc are mentioned only in a one sentence crawl across the bottom of the screen, causing some of us to have to search out the details from foreign news outlets.

And happy you have had such wonderful experiences with Americans! I love your country, I think more than anywhere I have ever visited! Such wonderful, gracious, diverse people! We were treated so very well by everyone everywhere we went. Spent a bit of time in the districts in Capetown, and was almost embarassed by the generosity of the people there, who wanted us to share everything they had. Have spent a few weeks around SA on two different trips and it is a top priority to get back ASAP.

You bring new perspective on "including the guides". We have always felt odd that our guides (new friends) would not expect to dine with us, etc, and have always insisted that they do - at our expense of course. Was wondering if perhaps they did not want to - glad you set that straight. I hope that we Americans are not too pushy in trying to include you!

Robin

As for not having enough time, at least seven of my visits to Europe were over long weekends. Many European flag airlines used to have weekend specials with airfare and a hotel and sometimes passes for trams etc for very little cost.

This goes back to the point made above about priorities and trade-offs. It's not fun to take two 8- or 9-hour flights within five days, but for us it's always been worth it in order to see something truly new and different. I understand why some people decide they don't want to do it, but it can be done.

This goes back to the point made above about priorities and trade-offs. It's not fun to take two 8- or 9-hour flights within five days, but for us it's always been worth it in order to see something truly new and different. I understand why some people decide they don't want to do it, but it can be done.

Very, very true. Same with cost - We have taken advantage of many inexpensive opportunites that have popped up over the years - like two family RTW trips that had to be broken down into several separate trips to accommodate work and school schedules, not easy but it CAN be done. After 9/11 we were worried about our daughters' fears about flying and terrorism, so we took advantage of some VERY cheap airfares to fly to Hawaii for a weekend (from the east coast) and to Tokyo for 3 days before the end of that year.. It becomes a hobby - keeping on top of deals, manipulating work schedules, always finding opportunities to squeeze something in. Most people think we are crazy, but it affords us the means to visit places that have never been on our "to do list" , but really should have been! Of course, now that I am getting older, I am getting lazier too - hence my new obsession with cruising :D.

Robin

Very, very true. Same with cost - We have taken advantage of many inexpensive opportunites that have popped up over the years - like two family RTW trips that had to be broken down into several separate trips to accommodate work and school schedules, not easy but it CAN be done. After 9/11 we were worried about our daughters' fears about flying and terrorism, so we took advantage of some VERY cheap airfares to fly to Hawaii for a weekend (from the east coast) and to Tokyo for 3 days before the end of that year.. It becomes a hobby - keeping on top of deals, manipulating work schedules, always finding opportunities to squeeze something in. Most people think we are crazy, but it affords us the means to visit places that have never been on our "to do list" , but really should have been! Of course, now that I am getting older, I am getting lazier too - hence my new obsession with cruising :D.

Robin

I absolutely love the thrill of the hunt when it comes to travel deals. Like you, we took advantage of post-9/11 fares -- I recall that one of them was $180 RT from Chicago to Frankfurt with double air miles, and the plane was nearly empty so we got to stretch out on five seats each. Best night's sleep in the economy section ever, followed by a nice long weekend exploring Cologne and the villages along the Rhine! Even before 9/11, we were frequently picking up super fares to Europe in late October-early December and January-early March. The fuel crisis has brought an end to that; they run many fewer flights and have no compunction about canceling them if they're not full. I miss those deals, but my devotion to environmental goals is stronger, so I cope. :)

So, we still constantly look for travel bargains of all sorts and I've become very good at snagging them, but it does take time (another priority-setting and trade-off!) and sometimes you have to be willing to travel at odd times. Cruising is just another way to get a lot of bang for your travel buck and take a break from the elaborate planning involved in other trips, but it can be monotonous (and kinda cheesy) for us if we try it too often -- the basics on the ship never really change significantly, so it's all about the ports.

Ignorance is bliss!!!

Great post and so interesting! I always wish the guides would eat with us, but never seem interested. :o

Frankly...I think the article misses the elephant in the room. That is, we can travel from state-to-state, experience different climates depending on locale, see majestic mountains, or green, lush river valleys. We have some of the biggest, most cosmopolitan cities in the world in our country. Or, we can go to the smallest, friendliest town on earth. We can visit some of the most beautiful landscape anywhere on the face of the earth.

That can be done in the United States. We don't have to go to other countries if we want to ski, hike, road race, have 12 months of warm weather, have seasons, etc, etc, etc.

In short, we don't really need to go to other countries to do whatever it is we would want to do.

I feel blessed and luck to be a citizen of the U.S.A. because of that (among many other things).

In short, we don't really need to go to other countries to do whatever it is we would want to do.

I feel blessed and luck to be a citizen of the U.S.A. because of that (among many other things).

What you DON'T have, is history.

History brings culture, and culture brings unique characteristics.

Chinese culture is over 3000 years old, the United States has existed less than 10% of that time.

Look at almost any list of 7 wonders of the world. Or 7 wonders of the new world. Or unesco world heritage sites.

What proportion are in the United States?

Wonders of the Ancient World: 0 in United States

Wonders of Medieval World: 0 in United States

Wonders of Modern World: 0 in united States

Wonders of Modern World (PER USA TODAY readers): 1 in United States (Grand Canyon)

Natural Wonders of the World: 1 in the United States (Grand Canyon)

Unesco World Heritage Sites: 21, out of 911 = 2.3%

There's a WHOLE WORLD out there, outside of the US border. Yes, the US is spectacular, but believing it's sufficient, is doing yourself a disservice.

Frankly...I think the article misses the elephant in the room. That is, we can travel from state-to-state, experience different climates depending on locale, see majestic mountains, or green, lush river valleys. We have some of the biggest, most cosmopolitan cities in the world in our country. Or, we can go to the smallest, friendliest town on earth. We can visit some of the most beautiful landscape anywhere on the face of the earth.

That can be done in the United States. We don't have to go to other countries if we want to ski, hike, road race, have 12 months of warm weather, have seasons, etc, etc, etc.

Actually, I thought that very point was fully discussed in the article....:confused:

Like what the author says here: "America has it all: From the mountains, to the prairies, to the oceans white with foam, as "God Bless America" proclaims."

And here: "Tourism experts......attribute Americans' lack of interest in international travel to a few key factors, including the United States' own rich cultural and geographic diversity....."

and several other similar passages.

Actually, I thought that very point was fully discussed in the article....:confused:

It was -- and in this thread as well.

Nobody is disputing that the U.S. has plenty of good stuff to see. To say that we don't need to go anywhere else is to be completely oblivious to the fact that the rest of the world has different good stuff to see -- as well as fascinating people, subcultures, customs, masterpieces, culinary delights, political systems, etc., etc. that you don't find in the U.S. Unless you truly think that the population of the rest of the world has nothing interesting to say or show us -- in which case you fall into the insularity bubble the article also refers to as a reason for not traveling abroad or having a passport -- the U.S. isn't "enough."

Like graphicguy, I feel lucky to be an American. I feel even luckier to be a resident of the world.

While I believe that Americans should get out of our country to travel and see and experience new and different cultures, to say the United States has no history or culture is not only inaccurate but frankly, a bit insulting.

That wasn't the intent... but 300 years is not History (with a capital H).

The United States is still in its infancy, compared to Europe, Africa, India, or China...

That's what I was suggesting. The UNESCO and Wonders of the World data simply backs it up.

I certainly wasn't suggesting the US had no culture. Where would the world be, without Bugs Bunny, hamburgers, and Nascar? :p;)

That wasn't the intent... but 300 years is not History (with a capital H).

The United States is still in its infancy, compared to Europe, Africa, India, or China...

That's what I was suggesting. The UNESCO and Wonders of the World data simply backs it up.

I certainly wasn't suggesting the US had no culture. Where would the world be, without Bugs Bunny, hamburgers, and Nascar? :p;)

Okay, it's hard to stay insulted when you made me spit my water out. :D

Archived