Urgent request for info on hospitals in Cozumel

erin6494

My parents are currently on a Royal Caribbean ship and my father has had a medical emergency. (I am a Princess follower and post occasionally on this board). Their ship has turned to return to Cozumel to drop my parents off and my father will be hospitalized.

Does anyone have any experience with the hospitals in the area or being evacuated to the United States? In addition to my concern for my father's health, I am worried about the health care that will be available on the island.

Thank you for any information you can provide.

Erin

What a difficult situation for you and your parents. Something you can do to help your Mom is to call their cruise insurance company and find out what her options are, what's covered, including your Mom's stay in Mexico if that's necessary, transportation back to the US, etc. With so many Americans in Cozumel, the medical should be fine. Your Mom is going to be thinking most about your Dad so getting details of her options would be a big help.

I hope everything works out and your Dad is fine.

I don't know if this will help but you can have the call the United States Embassy.

Also I was on a cruise where a friend of a friend who was traveling with us got sick and had to be put into the hospital on the island. We call the local priest (he was Catholic) to help us out. He came and help us through the ropes. He knew how the place ran.

Maria

Thank you for the advice, they are expected to return to Cozumel around midnight local time and then transport him to the hospital. I did not get the chance to talk with my mom about their coverage (although they always have it) so am unsure at this point whom I should contact. I will be waiting for the call when they are settled in the hospital and will hopefully have more information about his condition and what I can do from the states to be helpful. Knowing my dad, he will be most bothered by having disrupted the vacation of fellow passengers.

I do not know whether this helps. It is the information from MY Blue Shield International Providers:

Provider

Specialty Address

City , Country H

Centro Medico De Cozumel

General Hospital Calle Primera Sur #101

Cozumel, Mexico

Cruz, Alejandro

Not Available Clinica San Miguel

Cozumel, Mexico

Mahar, Joe

Chiropractor Clinic On Calle 6 North

Cozumel, Mexico

Marin Foucher, Manuel

General Practice 50 Bis # 840, Betw 11th & 13th St

Cozumel, Mexico

Please let us know how he's doing and please let your Mom know we're thinking of her. I know what she's going through having been in sort of a similar situation last year. While it wasn't Mexico, we were 3,000 miles from home. It meant a lot to us to know people were thinking of us.

Thanks again to all who took the time to post, it definitely helped alleviate some of my fears. My dad was admitted around 1 this morning and I am hoping for an update call soon from the cardiologist. He was stable when I spoke with my mom last night.

I will let her know that there is a community thinking of them, I know it makes me feel better.

Sincere thanks,

Erin

They were travelling with a group so did not use the normal TA. My mom did not seemed overly concerned about the insurance piece. She said RCI had been wonderful and provided her with all the contact info that she needs at this time.

While I'm not sure if it was Cozumel, an acquaintance of mine's father had a slip and fall while in Mexico, where his leg had broken, needing pins and his hip needed resetting. The care provided and surgery performed was of the highest level of standards. When he returned home he was seen by a local surgeon and his GP and was told that he wouldn't have received a better leg/hip repair here in Canada and that the medical team in Mexico did a fantastic job.

I hope this helps reassure you some - it's always worrisome when medical care is required in another country. All the best to your parents - my thoughts are with them.

Knowing my dad, he will be most bothered by having disrupted the vacation of fellow passengers.

He sounds like a very kind man. I would think the majority of people would not mind having their vacation disrupted for a medical emergency because we all know we could the one with the emergency at any time. I hope he does well and has a speedy recovery.

Since we don't always think about paper work in situations like these, make sure you let your mom know to get what they call a "super bill" from the hospital. I had asked a while back my insurance what would be needed (HMO) and they told me a receipt would not be acceptable I would have to have the itemized "super bill". I asked them about it since if you have travel insurance, most have you submit it to your health insurance.

Good luck.

The insurance company needs to be called - they can deal directly with the hospital and tell them exactly what is needed. All insurance companies are very experienced with this and should be able to most of the work for your Mom and Dad.

Hope he is okay.

Since we don't always think about paper work in situations like these, make sure you let your mom know to get what they call a "super bill" from the hospital. I had asked a while back my insurance what would be needed (HMO) and they told me a receipt would not be acceptable I would have to have the itemized "super bill". I asked them about it since if you have travel insurance, most have you submit it to your health insurance.

Good luck.

Erin,

I don't know if this will help comfort you or not, but yesterday while browsing the 'net, I came across an article that stated people with heart attacks on ships actually have a better survival rate than on land because of the swift medical attention they receive.

I hope he gets well soon and that your mother is able to receive the attention she needs during all of this.

The insurance company needs to be called - they can deal directly with the hospital and tell them exactly what is needed. All insurance companies are very experienced with this and should be able to most of the work for your Mom and Dad.

Hope he is okay.

Of course the insurance needs to be called, but unless their medical travel insurance is primary they will have first have to submit to their Primary "at home" insurance company and they will have to present those bills to them first. While they are in contact with the hospitals, etc that are out of U.S. it will be much easier to get what they need for proof. It's such a hassle getting info in the U.S. from U.S. medical care providers and insurers that I can't imagine trying to contact those out of country.

Of course the insurance needs to be called, but unless their medical travel insurance is primary they will have first have to submit to their Primary "at home" insurance company and they will have to present those bills to them first. While they are in contact with the hospitals, etc that are out of U.S. it will be much easier to get what they need for proof. It's such a hassle getting info in the U.S. from U.S. medical care providers and insurers that I can't imagine trying to contact those out of country.

The above information posted by donna5 is very accurate. A friend's father had to be taken by ambulance from Costa Maya to Cozumel (luckily your parents avoided that hassle). They had to pay for the ambulance in cash (it was reimbursed by insurance but it took pooling funds to get the $1800 that was needed. Once at the hospital in Cozumel numerous test were done (many unnecessary) before they would say he was okay to travel back to the states.

There was a hefty hospital bill that they had to settle before discharge (they used a credit card). He was off the Celebrity Solstice. He was in the hospital for several days and his companion "slept" on a bench in the hospital rather then go to a hotel. RCI does not have anyone in Cozumel to coordinate things.

Your parents really do need to get all bills so they can submit them with the paperwork to their primary insurance company first and the travel insurance second.

Good luck. I hope your dad gets well soon and is home quickly.

I'm sorry about your Father; all our thoughts are with you and your parents. I don't have experince with Mexico but my husband was hospitalized in Hong Kong while we were on a Princess cruise a year ago. Princess arranged for him to go to an excellent hopital and had their local Hong Kong representative follow-up to see if we needed anything. I received numerous calls from Princess checking on us. We were not insured by Princess Travel Insurance but by another company. They were also very helpful, although I did get conflicting information on occasion from various representatives. I was required to pay the hospital a deposit (on my credit card) when he was admitted to the hospital and pay the entire bill when he was discharged a week later. The total bill was about $9000, which was a great relief. I was reimbursed for all our expenses in a timely manner after filing a claim with our travel insurance company. Hopefully, RCi and your parents' insurance company will provide similar support.

Thank you again, I am humbled by the support I have received from everyone.

They are still awaiting the cardiologist but initial scans have been positive. He is awake and alert (my mom less so :) )

The insurance company has already contacted my mom twice and are awaiting medical clearance from the cardiologist to fly him home to Tampa (I will be in contact with their physician there as soon as he receives a "diagnosis" so that I can let her know what is happening and she can be prepared to meet him at the hospital).

Again, I cannot say how nice it is to hear such positive things on this board. I will keep you all posted.

Archived