Urgent request for info on hospitals in Cozumel

erin6494

Still waiting for an update today....he was moved to an inpatient room yesterday (had been in an ER bed to that point) so hopefully it was a bit more restful for my mom. We are waiting for medical clearance from the cardiologist that he is "fit to fly".

I have been in contact with multiple insurance companies (and have copied all the info into a spread sheet for my mom with names, case #s, etc) as well as the travel agent. I feel better if I am at least doing something rather than sitting and waiting.

Does anyone have any experience with airlines discounting fares for emergency situations? I know that there are bereavement fares but did not know if any offered something similar to help with flights with little advance notice. I would like to have the option of meeting them in Tampa when he is discharged so I can be more hands-on in my help to both of them.

I can not thank everyone enough for the support, encouragement, and well wishes. It truly has been amazing.

Erin

Erin,

Unfortunately, airlines do not offer any discount in my crisis experience. BUT the price of a last minute ticket often means it is changeable & refundable! Versus the discount way of buying.

OR fly Southwest (they go to Tampa), you can change the same ticket many, many times with no penalty, trust me! Just a change in fare, I changed a ticket nine times for a family crisis, one change was $7, one was $10, most were no charge at all. Really. Good luck, CC prayers are with you.

Joanne

Erin, unfortunately, airlines won't discount unless it's bereavement, but it never hurts to call and ask. "If you don't ask, you don't get." You're an amazing daughter and your parents should be very proud of you. It sounds like your Dad is doing well; my continued thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

This is hindsight but information for others. A couple of years ago, I'd suggested to my brother-in-law that he get MedJetAssist insurance, which he did. Last year, we had occasion to use it whereby they flew my BIL on a medical jet across the country as he was still in critical condition and unable to fly commercially. They will fly you anywhere in the world to anywhere you want as long as you are 150 miles from home. We could have flown with him but my sister doesn't like small planes. Just something to think about.

We were at the same hospital in Cozumel last year as my BF had an attack of diverticulitis. He was had never had it before. It was dx'd right away with correct medications (confirmed all upon return to the states)

At the hospital we had to settle in cash (no credit cards). The cost was reasonable.

If your mom needs a place to stay have her call Kathy at the Balwin guest house. They will take care of her and it is really close. If they need a place to stay prior to their flight out this would be it. Kathy and Dale have been in Cozumel for 10 years and are very knowledgable. Oh about $100 per night including taxes and a great breakfast. Free internet phone to the US and wireless.

In terms of flights, the airport is small and modern but not much choice on direct flights...

I hope your dad is continuing to improve.

We have been following your post, and are most happy to hear that your father is improved. We will continue to keep your family in our prayers, and send healing thoughts.

The response of both practical suggestions and good thoughts has been remarkable.

Thank you for keeping us updated - Mary and Bill

Does anyone have any experience with airlines discounting fares for emergency situations? I know that there are bereavement fares but did not know if any offered something similar to help with flights with little advance notice. I would like to have the option of meeting them in Tampa when he is discharged so I can be more hands-on in my help to both of them.

United Airlines did for me.

I had a situation a few years ago when my mom was hospitalized out of state over Memorial weekend.

United was awesome about it. They quoted me a fare that was excellent ($300-$400 compared to $1000 plus on their website and it was a holiday weekend) and held the fare until the flight. If I didn't show up at the airport, the reservation just fell off and no penalty and I wasn't supposed to pay for it until I got to the airport. I made several reservations that entire weekend based on her prognosis and they were fine with it.

They did ask for the hospital and the main doctor treating my mom. I seriously doubt they confirmed it but they did ask.

Sorry to hear about your parent's misfortune. We have a condo in Playa del Carmen which is a 40 minute ferry boat ride from Cozumel. We happen to be there this week. There is a fairly large hospital in Playa del Carmen on the hwy (307). If necessary there is an American Hospital in Cancun but both may be too much of on ordeal for your parents travel to. Most of my info is for Canadians however - I just looked up the American info ...unfortunately the hours at the American consulate in both Cozumel and Playa are very limited however there is a emergency cell number for the American consulate in Playa - 011-521-984-807-8355 That is probably for best bet after contacting the insurance

Other contact info is:

Cozumel Mondays 12 noon-2

011-521-987-872-4572

usgov@cozumel.net

consular general Anne Harris

Playa del Carmen

m-w 10-1

011-521-984-873-0481

playausaca@hotmail

consular general Samatha Mason

If we can assist with any other info -please let us know..

Thanks again to everyone, I cannot express my appreciation adequately.

My father has been discharged. His blood sugar and heart rate have stabilized (he had a severe hypoglycemic attack on the ship that resulted in the loss of consciousness, seizures, intubation, and atrial fibrillation). I was able to speak with him briefly and it was wonderful to hear his voice. He sounds tired but like himself.

My folks are still waiting on paperwork so will not make a flight out today (last one is at 1510), they are in a hotel (which is another story, the first RCI rep told them he was too busy to assist today so I called from here to get them settled) and they are able to rest and clean up.

At this point, they do not want me to travel to Florida but if he is readmitted by his PCP when they get home, I am planning on flying down.

Again, thanks are not adequate for the feelings I have. I am so very grateful for everyones prayers and support. What a wonderful group of people and what an amazing community!

Maybe this thread can be required reading the next time petty squabbles on smoking, children, dress codes, or saved chairs start :)

I just wanted to update everyone on my dad. He and my mom made it back to Tampa and he has been admitted to the hospital there. He is improving and definitely sounds much better than when I talked to him at the airport in Dallas. His physician said that his condition is not so serious that I need to feel like I should fly down unless I want a vacation (which I may need after the past 5 days). We are hoping that he continues to improve and that they are able to quickly determine the cause of his complications.

Thanks again to everyone for your prayers and encouragement, it was a blessing to me and to my family.

Happy cruising,

Erin

I was thinking about this thread last night - so glad Dad is back in the U.S. and doing better.

I did chuckle at your post about remembering this thread in the midst of some of the negative ones out there. This community really does come together as one when something like this happens.

Archived