Very short time in Barcelona

hoffdahl

I will have only a short time in Barcelona (maybe 2-3 hours) and would like to see as much as possible. I will be checking in to cruise ship and then will be on my own (a 63-yr-old female.) I thought I would take the bus that goes from ships to Columbus Monument and then walk up the Ramblas, taking detours into the Barri Gotic. Any idea how long this might take? How would it be to walk from the top end of the Ramblas to the Sagrada Familia? Is it a "safe" walk for a single female my age? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Please tell me you are not flying into Barcelona from the USA right before your cruise?? Hopefully you are coming in from somewhere much closer.

I am your age and have been in Barcelona on my own.

You can wander through the old part of the city.

You can go to the Cathedral and to the lovely Santa Maria del Mar church. I don't know what day of the week you will be there?IF it is a weekday you can wander in the Boqueria Market towards the top of Las Ramblas. You can go watch the dancing in front of the cathedral if it is a Sunday.

Sagrada Familia is too far to walk.

You could take a taxi if it is important to you to see the outside. Taxis are plentiful and not so expensive.

It is too bad you cannot plan to spend more time in the city. It has become my favorite place in Europe!!

I will have only a short time in Barcelona (maybe 2-3 hours) and would like to see as much as possible. I will be checking in to cruise ship and then will be on my own (a 63-yr-old female.) I thought I would take the bus that goes from ships to Columbus Monument and then walk up the Ramblas, taking detours into the Barri Gotic. Any idea how long this might take? How would it be to walk from the top end of the Ramblas to the Sagrada Familia? Is it a "safe" walk for a single female my age? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Well, assuming things go well and you get your few hours the idea of walking the Ramblas and adjacent Gothic Quarter is a good plan as you will only be a short distance from the cruise port (less than 10 min by taxi). As to Sagrada Familia, it takes nearly a half hour to walk from the Ramblas over to that site and the walk route is very safe during the daytime. If you want to go inside Sagrada Familia there can often be a line and it does take at least 30 min (and that is the minimum) to walk through the facility and also look at the interesting exhibits they have about the history of the church and construction schedule.

Hank

Taxi to see the Cathedral might be worth it. La Ramblas doesn't really get going till late in the afternoon.

I agree, the only way to get to Sagrada Familia would be either taxi or metro. The metro would only take about 15 minutes. I would concentrate on Las Ramblas and the Gothic area, you could easily walk those and get back in 2-3 hours.

Kirk

Archived