sharing tables at windjammer buffet

icyfrost

I'm so glad that you posted this because I feel the same way! Sometimes I feel like I'm the odd one out when reading these boards because so many people either cruise to make friends or try to make friends with everybody they meet. The hubby and I choose to dine alone and converse with each other in bars and whatnot. We're certainly not mean people or rude... it's just what when we vacation, we like to be "by ourselves" (or as much as one can be on a ship with 8000+ people!). I also do the thing where we put things on the other chairs if we're at a 4 top and I would never dream of denying somebody the right to sit there if the other tables are full... just as long as they keep with just brief pleasantries at first and then ignore us for the rest of the meal.

Here's the thing....folks aren't always "trying to make friends", but they aren't "anti-social"...the occassional comment or conversation is simply POLITE...most of the time, you'll NEVER, EVER see those folks again. It's a matter of being pleasant, and somewhat accomodating....

The "logjam" in the buffet is why I prefer the dining room, but sometimes, it's just more convenient to try and grab something quickly.

People can’t help themselves. You know the ones, the book readers, the card players. They’re confused - library, card room, buffeteria. I can see how they can make the mistake. I don’t want to walk forward to a nice quiet room. I’ll save my spot in case they start to run out of food.

In a Windjammer that more resembles a bee hive I go out of my way to sit down with the book readers/card players. Hey what are ya reading? I wouldn’t play that Ace..etc. Pull out the cigarettes and ask for a light.

If you want to be alone go somewhere else. Would you pull out the book or cards in the MDR? of course not, so why the Windjammer.

I’ll always let people sit at my table. If I need a seat I will ask “do you mind?” (and probably sit down anyways with the book readers/card players), and when I am done I will leave.

ON our recent Majesty cruise, we were asked and also were the ASKee. We picked someone who looked outing and friendly and were happy we did! Had a great BF conversation. WE had trouble on the AM of the Key West port. I think everyone wanted to eat BF and then get off the ship at the same time. It was very busy. We eneded up having some great conversations.

I have no problem with someone asking to sit with us....it's usually out of necessity!

I would never ask anyone who didn't look at us as we were walking by and seem OPEN to the idea if that makes sense?

I would never tell someone no if they asked to sit with us.

We've only had one person do that. It was on Brilliance, the WJ was packed, so we ventured out to that section with the 2 couches and table in between. There was one guy sitting at one of these groupings...Reading a Book!, and I asked if the 2 of us could sit on the other side. He said, "no".

When DH walked up with his plate and drink he asked if we were sitting there. I said "Apparently not" in a probably louder than necessary voice. A foursome that had watched this, let us know that they were finished, and we were welcome to their seats. :D

We are always open to having people join us, and others have always been very considerate about letting us share their table.

On some ships they do make that announcement about not lingering after eating during busy times. :)

I don't mind sharing if someone asks. What I do mind is when some takes the chairs from the table without asking. It happened to us several times on Mariner. The seats were for others in our party that were getting food. I had to get up and tell this lady the chair was taken and she had the nerve to get mad at me:eek: She was not happy giving it back either.

I'm not a "regular" in the Windjammer, in fact, on the Oasis, I never went there once! But my point is this...

Why would you want to "camp out" there after eating?! You're on a ship!!! Explore. Take a walk around. At least if you want to read or play cards, go outside somewhere...anywhere!

I guess some folks hang out in shopping mall food courts, as well!:p:D

On some ships they do make that announcement about not lingering after eating during busy times. :)

I have heard this announcement many times.

I have NEVER seen ANYONE get up and leave as a result.

(inconsiderate and oblivious people are rarely shaken out of their oblivion by something as insignificant as a REQUEST to behave nicely ;))

I don't volunteer to share a table with others in the Windjammer but I'm not opposed to sharing one if asked. Have actually shared tables a few times and thankfully, have nothing bad to report.

I do have the ultimate repellant to Windjammer table sharing - a four year old child :D. I figure that anyone asking to sit with us is either desperate for a place to sit or very laid back. Both types make for great table mates - one won't say anything to us but "thanks for the seat" and the other won't try to make small talk knowing that DH and I got to keep focused if we want to make sure nothing gets dropped or spilled;).

I'm not sure I would consider lying to them to be the polite way.

Yes, yes, of course you're right. I mean, no one ever tells little white lies to avoid uncomfortable situations or possible conflict.

It would be much better to tell someone that their presence makes you uncomfortable, right? Who cares if you offend them, as long as you tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth. :)

I'm now a Solo Cruiser and I have always been a Solo Breakfast Eater in the Windjammer.

The individual seats on the high stools are often taken as are the 2 place tables.

I avoid taking a table for four so I always invite myself to join another single or couple. I have only been turned down once by a lady who said her husband was getting his food and two friends would be joining her.

"No Problem" I said so I sat at the table next to her so I was looking right at her. For some strange reason she seemed uncomfortable while I ate and kept looking at her. I finally finished and left and nobody had joined her.

I guess she thought I was a sea going Axe Murderer or Something. :D

My preference is to dine with the people I'm travelling with, whether it's DH or friends. But, since I know that the WJ can be very crowded at peak times, I take my chances on being joined by strangers if I'm at a table that holds more than my party. I wouldn't dream of putting stuff all over the chairs to discourage somebody from asking to join me. Making somebody wander around looking for a table while their lunch grows cold instead of just sucking it up and letting them join me for a little while is my idea of rude.

Well on our last cruise, which was on the Triumph-Carnival, there was 5 of us we went to the main dinning room for b'fast and we were seated at a table not ask if we cared to dine with others or not and we were not served until the table was full. Never do we mind seating with others you will meet many interesting people and it's not like your going to move in together or anything. These folks were just plain rude. Share the table, talk, eat, and if not enjoying the company or if you have finished your dinner before the others excuse yourself and leave. We do live in a society where manners do matter some people just don't get this concept.

I'm kind of a shy person and would prefer not to share our table, but I really don't mind if someone asks nicely--I've been in the 'can't-find-a-table-to-save-my-life' scenario too.

One thing I do notice is when one or two people sit at a huge table meant for a large group. I understand that it might be the only table open when they sat down, but in that case they should expect that others might need to share.

We recently cruised with 7 grandchildren and the two of us. Of course, finding tables for all of us together or in the same general area was difficult, but we generally managed to be somewhat close together.

The kids were ages 5-11 and we of course wanted to be sure they were acting appropriately and not bothering others, plus the youngest two did need some help.

One thing that was maddening was that there was a very large corner both that would easily have fit all of us. I can't tell you how many times we walked by and there were two people sitting in that huge booth.

One day the four girls and I did sit there with 3 others after a long and fruitless search for anything else. The threesome were very gracious and interacted with the kids nicely--they did leave rather quickly though! (Really, they were almost done when we arrived.)

As long as people are polite, we're willing to share. When it's just the two of us, we generally find a table somewhere anyway. Try it with nine!

Let's see my first cruise was my honeymoon 1983 and I swear there was not a buffet at lunch or dinner, infact we always shared tables for all our meals..

If I am in the wind jammer when it is crowed I always ask to join people never thought someone would reject me .........LOL, I guess there is always a first time.

Years ago it was more the norm to share, few 2 tops on cruise ships then.

Yes, yes, of course you're right. I mean, no one ever tells little white lies to avoid uncomfortable situations or possible conflict.

It would be much better to tell someone that their presence makes you uncomfortable, right? Who cares if you offend them, as long as you tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth. :)

That is why I said in my above post (and btw A LOT of thought went in to that post, so I am disappointed no one has commented :( - :D) that the best response (and I TRULY believe it is!) is to say "I'm sorry, but we (or I) need to be alone right now." That way they think you are having a "personal problem" ... or something like that (they could think you need some "romantic time") and they probably don't want to get involved anyway - It works!! Honest! (and you are not telling a lie because you really need to be alone) :cool:

My husband and I sit at small tables because we prefer to eat by ourselves, everywhere. If we have to sit at a table for four, I put jackets, bags, and hats at those places to discourage people from asking to sit with us. If it's REALLY crowded, then I don't do it.

We don't cruise to meet people, but to travel and relax with each other. So, it is an imposition to be asked by strangers if they can sit with us.

. This one floored me , you get on a ship with 3000 plus people and dont want to meet anyone , I am really at lost for words, and I am not slamming you please forgive me. But you must hate people like me , I talk to anyone and everyone . Wow I know some poeple are keen on meeting new people but this is a new one on me.But yet here you are on a cruise site with 5000 post :confused: Sorry i just had to say something and again to each his own and Happy cruising.

. This one floored me , you get on a ship with 3000 plus people and dont want to meet anyone , I am really at lost for words, and I am not slamming you please forgive me. But you must hate people like me , I talk to anyone and everyone . Wow I know some poeple are keen on meeting new people but this is a new one on me.But yet here you are on a cruise site with 5000 post :confused: Sorry i just had to say something and again to each his own and Happy cruising.

Actually, the OP floored me with this question....

How do you say no?...My question would be, why would you say no?

I would not be cruising, a land vacation is my choice if I want a romantic get away........

I have to agree with the people who say they would rather sit alone. That being said I always look for a table where this won't be an issue. If it is ever an issue, then we usually just take the food to the pool area or to our room.

No offense to others but I love that I get to get away with my hubby and spend time just the two of us. Between my crazy schedule with owning a small business and him working 65 hours a week, I def look forward to alone time. I don't think I am insane for going on a cruise and looking for alone time, we do things together and have always gotten tables for 2.

Sorry if that offends others, but this time is precious to us and I can't imagine using it to make small talk with others just for the sake of pleasantries.

@landlover how is it fair for you to assume what is romantic to each person? I think cruises can be wonderful and romantic. Its what you make of your vacation. Please don't assume you can determine this for others.

I think it is very rude on embarkation day in the WJ to turn anyone away from a table with a seat. I have seen folks walking around with plates in hand with know where to sit, seen tables of four or more with two people at them ignore them. They have beach bags on the other chairs to make it look like other folks are coming, but never do.

Come on folks,,,,we are starting out on a fabulous cruise,,,can you not allow someone to sit down beside you for 10 or 20 mins. to eat a meal!!!!!!This really is a pet peave of mine! Embarkation day is where everyone is told to go to the WJ for lunch.

Any other day on the ship,you can always find a seat somewhere in the WJ....It might not be instantanious, but you can.

If you see folks looking for a place to sit, and you have that space, please allow them the pleasure of their first meal in the WJ as a pleasant one.

Actually, the OP floored me with this question....

How do you say no?...My question would be, why would you say no?

I would not be cruising, a land vacation is my choice if I want a romantic get away, LOL........

Thats what my wife and i were just discussing why a cruise with lines and crowds . :confused:

But i'm a people person I sold potato chips for 21 years never met a stranger , heck i will know half the people on the ship before we dock. :p

Actually, we've met some really nice people when we ask if they want to share our table. Those on the first couple of days you generaly keep bumping into and have someone to say "Hi" to. It's sort of pleasant to have someone you recognize always smiling at you.

Archived