What Brand Tequila Is Best & Where Best Place to Buy

Okie1946

Hi everyone - we are cruising to the Mexican Riveria (PV, Mazatlan and Cabo) the second week in April.

We would like to bring back several bottles of Tequila, but are unsure which BRAND is the best to bring back and WHERE is the best place to purchase it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

The best Tequila is the one that tastes the best to you. The only thing I can tell you is get a brand/variety that has 100% Agave or 100% Blue Agave on the label. Anything else is swill.

The big surprise ... the best place to buy whatever you do like is often the grocery store.

Enjoy!

Thanks folks, after reading the postings about tasting the tequila first, we did decide to take an excursion that takes us to Hacienda Doqa Engracia - a tequila factory that is in PV. That should give us a chance to taste test some of the local offerings and then we can decide on what we want to bring home with us.

But, please do not stop with your input. Any help with our making a choice between one or the other, will be greatly appreciated.:)

We like the Cazadore respondo (wrng spllng). Here in Canada a 750 ml bottle is over $40. Down in Puerto Vallarta at the La Playa liquor store on Olas Altas (or any of the LP liquor stores scattered throughout the city) a litre bottle is 190 pesos.

We bought the same bottle at the PV Walmart for 210 pesos.....but it was worth that to us as it came in a nice shiny packing tube :)

Also Don Julio is very nice as well....more pesos but really nice.

According to our "younger" friends, PATRON is one of the best. We have never tried it because it is very expensive. I am going to see if I can find any while we are on our cruise and see if it is more reasonable in Mexico.

According to our "younger" friends, PATRON is one of the best. We have never tried it because it is very expensive. I am going to see if I can find any while we are on our cruise and see if it is more reasonable in Mexico.

Patron is a very good premium tequila. Patron silver is Marilyn's favorite. It is made in Jalisco state near Guadalajara by a US based company with headquarters in Las Vegas.

As far as I can tell ... it is made for the US market and has limited distribution outside the US. If you do find it in Mexico, it will be imported from the US. The Patron web site indicates it is available in the Duty Free shops at Cabo's & Vallarta's airports. I have never seen it on the shelves in Vallarta.

Enjoy!

Thanks folks, after reading the postings about tasting the tequila first, we did decide to take an excursion that takes us to Hacienda Doqa Engracia - a tequila factory that is in PV. That should give us a chance to taste test some of the local offerings and then we can decide on what we want to bring home with us.

But, please do not stop with your input. Any help with our making a choice between one or the other, will be greatly appreciated.:)

The tequila "factory" tasting excursions offered in/around Vallarta offer the product of that local "micro-distillery". There are no production distilleries in the Vallarta area. You will encounter some fine tequila but anything you taste/buy on one of these excursions will not be found away from that excursion's tasting room. These excursions are fun and should be enjoyed for their entertainment value.

There are a number of threads that discuss tequila recommendations. If you do a forum search for HERRADURA it will return a number of those threads.

Here is info I posted in one of them -

Your best bet for selection and opportunity to shop for tequila will likely be Cabo or Vallarta. Others can tell you the best place in Cabo.

Vallarta has a number of liquor stores in the downtown area with good selection of high end tequila. Some of the best selection and prices can be found in the grocery store. Reference this map - http://vallartainfo.com/hotelzone.html WalMart & Sams’s Club are across the street from the port. Soriana is immediately south of the port.. Further down the main street, to the south, is Plaza Caracol with another Soriana, and then Plaza Genovesa with a La Playa liquor store across the street.

Brand recommendation: This is a real tough one. Every brand has unique and subtle flavors. Every brand markets product with different levels of aging. This web site gives a brief overview -http://www.examiner.com/x-14072-Tequila-Examiner~y2009m7d15-Tequila-101-What-are-the-different-types-of-tequila

Where to taste - A major tequila distiller (La Cofradia) has opened a string of “factory outlet stores” in Vallarta. These are a good place to go and sample the various types of tequila. They are also the best place to sample and buy flavored tequilas. Don’t waste your time on a local “tequila factory” tour unless you want to go for the entertainment value.

Where to shop - You will get the best selection and the best prices at the local food store or local liquor store. In Vallarta, we use the MEGA food store just north of the Sheraton (see map http://www.vallarta-info.com/n_downtown.html) and a liquor store downtown. http://www.puerto-vallarta.com/the-house-of-the-tequila-review/default.asp

What to buy - ANY Tequila that has “100% blue agave” or “100% agave” on the label. Anything else is swill bottled for export and for sale to tourists. By law, all tequila has to be double distilled and is crystal clear when made. It is often marketed as “silver” or “blanco” on the label. Aged tequila takes on a golden color. Tequila that has been aged for less than one year is called reposado while tequila aged one year or more is called añejo.

Any clear 100% agave tequila is good in tequila based mixed drinks. Using reposado makes for a smoother drink and significantly reduces the potential for a hangover.

Who’s Tequila to buy – There are over 600 brands of tequila on the market today. I enjoy the following: Cuervo’s Tradicional and Reserva de la Familia, Sauza’s Hornitos and Herradura Silver for general use. Good sippin’ tequilas include Cuervo’s 100% agave version of its 1800; Sauza’s 100% agave version of its premium Tres Generaciones; Herradura Reposado, Don Julio Reposado.

For more information on tequila than you will ever want to know, hit this web site: http://www.ianchadwick.com/tequila/defined.htm or http://www.ianchadwick.com/tequila/history.htm

Enjoy!

For those of you from Canada who may be stopping in San Diego before/after cruises, our local prices for Tequila will be MUCH better than what you pay at home sooo you may also be able to shop in our supermarkets/pharmacies that all sell a variety of liquor including tequila!!

Good Tequilla is for sippin' not shooting. Just about any Brand Name Reposado or Anejo you probably won't go wrong. But be sure to buy it like the other post say from from Walmart,Costco, or any supermarket. Liquor stores & specialty Tequilla shops will charge more. There are some tasings at the Tequilla Shops in the Mall in Cabo. Try them there then buy what you like elsewhere.

We have a membership to Sam's Club, but in PV, Mazatlan or CSL?????

At least I have an idea of what to look for also. The only tequila that I have drank before is Jose Cuervo (clear) and only drink Margaritas. LLLOOOVVVEEE Margaritas!!!!!! So shopping for a local tequila will be a new experience. Realize that Jose Cuervo is manufactured for export only, so I really do want to try a local one.

Thanks everyone for all the tips. Keep Them Coming

We were on Mexican Riv cruise a year ago and went to Hacienda Dona Engracia factory tasting and purchased 2 bottles. The tour and tasting were great but we didn't try stopping at Walmart or Sam's. We were happy with our tasting and purchase. The older more smoother tasting tequilla was fantastic. They make for a perfect after-dinner drink. Hope you enjoy it.

We have a membership to Sam's Club, but in PV, Mazatlan or CSL?????

At least I have an idea of what to look for also. The only tequila that I have drank before is Jose Cuervo (clear) and only drink Margaritas. LLLOOOVVVEEE Margaritas!!!!!! So shopping for a local tequila will be a new experience. Realize that Jose Cuervo is manufactured for export only, so I really do want to try a local one.

Thanks everyone for all the tips. Keep Them Coming

Your SAM's membership in the States is good in Vallarta.

we also just did the tequila tasting at the hacienda Dona Engracias- I liked the almond tequila the best. They sold it right there for $55.00US a bottle. a little pricey in my opinion. We shop a small town in Los Algodones, just south of Yuma Arizona about once a month, I get the almond tequila for 7.95 a bottle and it is very good..I didn't purchase any in PV, but enjoyed the Mexican fiesta at the hacienda..

we also just did the tequila tasting at the hacienda Dona Engracias- I liked the almond tequila the best. They sold it right there for $55.00US a bottle. a little pricey in my opinion. We shop a small town in Los Algodones, just south of Yuma Arizona about once a month, I get the almond tequila for 7.95 a bottle and it is very good..I didn't purchase any in PV, but enjoyed the Mexican fiesta at the hacienda..

Flavored tequilas are a big hit with the ladies. Generally, you will find them at the tequila micro-distileries and they do ask a pretty penny.

La Cofradia, a tequila distiller in Tequila, has a string of “factory outlet stores” in Vallarta. They have a reasonably good selection of flavored tequilas and they sell it for half the price you'll pay on the tours. (The down side is these "tequila tasting" outlets is they are often a hangout for timeshare sales people.)

Enjoy!

The flavored tequila sounds intriguing. Can we buy it at the Sam's Club in PV? Thanks

gl

As someone else stated, pretty much any reposado or anejo will be good especially since you aren't that familiar with good tequila...I would get the reposado as the much longer aged anejo can be a bit much for some people.

If you want a real treat get some Tequila Cream, its like Baily's Irish Cream but made with tequila....its VERY tasty and we always keep a bottle in our fridge ready for an after dinner drink....WalMart has it but is sometimes out of stock as its so popular and Walmart or Sams in PV is as far as you need to go for a great selection and its right across the street from the ship....they also have a good selection of inexpensive souvineers as well...

When we were in mexico 2008 we were told they do not sell Patron in Mexico LOL However Don Julio is the same from what we were told and it is very good. :p

Hi everyone - we are cruising to the Mexican Riveria (PV, Mazatlan and Cabo) the second week in April.

We would like to bring back several bottles of Tequila, but are unsure which BRAND is the best to bring back and WHERE is the best place to purchase it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

You need to define your price point before you talk about "best". The most expensive tequila I could find at Total Wines and More WEB site was Asombroso Anejo Tequila 750ml at $200 per bottle. I also did a quick search on Tequila.net and found 2 bottles at a price point of greater than $1000.

DON

The flavored tequilas are strictly for the tourist market, not something you'll find any, or many, Mexicans drinking - from what I've observed and learned over the years.

If you want to try tequila do as already suggested: The label must say 100% Agave or it's adulterated product. Some people like the slightly aged "reposado" but I enjoy, mostly, the blanco - the clear younger tequila.

If you're going to mix the tequila with margarita mix (another tourist drink) then it really doesn't matter what tequila you use because you're going for alcohol content and not the taste of the tequila.

I'll agree with the statement of someone else that tequila is meant to sip.

Think ahead before buying bottles of liquor in Mexico which you plan to take home with you, though. Firstly, Duty Free stores are almost always more expensive than stores like Wal-Mart, Soriana, etc. And, secondly, other than the duty free products, you cannot carry-on the bottles of liquor - they have to be packed in your checked luggage. The duty free carry on is fine if only one flight is involved, but if you have a connecting flight you'll have to pack the liquor or it'll be confiscated.

My personal preference is to buy my tequila in my home city, because when I figure in the inconvenience of trying to get something like that home from Mexico it's much easier (to buy it at home). Enjoy what you buy, though.

We love our Hacienda Dona Engracias tequila. Last year on a cruise

we noticed the gift shop selling it on board our ship [Princess]

Cazadores is a good tequila. Patron is excellent too.

As stated before, if you're going to mix it making margaritas, then go

for something cheaper like Cuervo, since you will be wasting a good

booze for nothing. We have tons of tequila in all the grocery stores,

Sam's Costco, here in CA. Walmart in PV did have good deals on

tequila.

Archived