Canada in October

RealCajunLady

A group of 8 from Louisiana would like to see fall foliage on a New England/Canada cruise. Have narrowed search to Oct 8,2011 (my birthday) either Boston-Montreal on HAL Maasdam - or Boston-Boston on RCL Jewl of the Seas. Are we traveling too late to see foliage? Ideas and suggestions would be most welcome as I want to book this week if possible. In addition to date, any thoughts on the lines I am considering? We have only done a short carribean cruise on Carnival and a week in Alaska on Princess. We are all active 65 year olds.

It all depends on the weather

If it is warm then the colours do not change early but if there is a cold snap they can change early

Late Sept may be a better bet then you have to consider storms as well

You can get the effects of any hurricanes at that time of year

Good luck in choosing

Lyn

It's a guessing game each year when foliage will be peak. Foliage in Quebec City will be past prime color when Boston is getting ready to reach its prime. The weather during the summer is a factor in determining the date of peak color and the intensity of the foliage. How much rain, how high temperatures, how cool the nights all factor into foliage.

We sail Maasdam Boston to Montreal to Boston, b-to-b every summer and love that trip. It is one of HAL's best short itineraries IMO

The peak for foliage in the coastal Maine, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia areas is around October 10. It would be a little earlier in the Gaspe to Quebec City area as it is further north. After that date, how long it stays colourful depends on when we get a storm with high winds.

Actually a lot of the colour change depends upon latitude and hours of daylight. The week of October 8 should be great. If you go to Quebec earlier and Sydney later it should be perfect. In central Nova Scotia the leaves are usually great right around Thanksgiving, which this year is October 10.

Choose the cruise because of the ports and the length of time in each port. Do you have extra time in Quebec City. Do you get to Charlottetown and Sydney? Are you in Sydney before October 15 after which the animators are no longer in Fortress Louisbourg?

I appreciate all of the responses. It seems that Oct 8th is as good a choice as any. I didn't realize there was a NY to Montreal cruise. Maybe it is more than 7 days. It didn't show up in my searches. I will be posting about port activities later.

Yes indeed RealCajunLady, you probably won't know if it's PEAK color or not, we sure didn't. We went the last week of Sept and the first week of Oct. We left out of New York to Boston, Portland, Bar Harbor, Halifax, St. John, and into Quebec. At each port, we saw a little more color and were thrilled. Until we reached Quebec City and went out to St. Anne's Basilica. The color we saw was picture postcard perfect. Really letting you know what all the fuss about Fall Foliage Color is all about.

You will see color, I'm sure, and have a great cruise. I would second the recommendation of sail7seas. The 10 day cruise on Eurodam would be a nice length. Ours was 12 days and just about two days too long for me.

Have a great cruise!

I'd recommend going north to south. We went the opposite and missed the peak color in the south because it hadn't arrived yet, but missed it in the north because we were too late. You have to go inland to really see the color. Near shore, it's not very different from what we see in some areas of Alabama. Choose port activities that take you as far inland as you can.

Well I put a hold on four cabins on the Massdam cruise from Boston to Montreal on Oct 8th - All of your posts have been encouraging to our plan. Thanks for the suggestion of getting inland for more foliage. I am so glad that a good friend recommended the Cruise Critic site to me before our first cruise in 2005. I got so many great suggestions that our friends thought I was a real travel "goddess":) And it was invaluable in picking port activities when we went to Alaska in 2007.

You should have a great cruise. from what I have been told the colours change later the further north you go. That is certainly true for the mainland of Nova Scotia compared to Cape Breton.

I too became a 'cruise goddess' on my first cruise because of Cruise Critic.

I agree with the advice you've received so far. But one thing worth considering are the ports of call on the cruise. The typical ports of call in the US for a C/NE cruise are Newport, RI; Boston, MA; Portland & Bar Harbor, ME. 3 of the 4 ports of call are cities and if your interested in viewing foliage, you really have to clear the city limits for the best viewing. You will see trees in the city, in parks & green spaces; but it is not the same as viewing in the country side. You will see the foliage as you approach and enter a port of call if you are an early riser and when the cruise ship departs but it is not the same as being part of the forest.

Bar Harbor, ME is the only US port of call on a C/NE cruise that borders a national park (Acadia National Park). You can actually be in the park within 5-10 minutes after leaving the BH Town Green. You will be among the trees and enjoy the foliage first hand.

The date you selected (10/8) is good also. The consensus of CC members who frequent the New England Ports of Call forum is that peak foliage in the BH area is usually about Columbus Day (observed).

For the Canadian ports of call, I'm not of any help,

To sum it up, a cruise starting 10/8 is good and the port of call of Bar Harbor is better.

SBtS

As other posters have said there are so many variable to take into consideration that it really is a guessing game:confused:

I am from New England and have spent a great deal of time in Quebec City and Montreal. The Fall season holds so many pleasant surprises. Under no circunstances should you ever be disappointed.:)

You are from the Bayou, the Seafood in Canada is to Die for and there is a distinct connection between your home State and Canada culturally.:)

As for cruise lines I am partial to RCCL, I have sailed on the Jewel and she is a wonderful ship:D

Archived