Clarification on included canned sodas and bottled water

susiesan

I know that the room refrigerator will be stocked with the soda of our choice, but can I get a can of soda free with a meal in the dining room? Can I get a can of soda or bottled water free from one of the bars? Can I have Perrier free with a meal? How does the free soda policy work? I'll be boarding Regatta this Friday, Feb. 25, for a Caribbean cruise.

I know that the room refrigerator will be stocked with the soda of our choice, but can I get a can of soda free with a meal in the dining room? Can I get a can of soda or bottled water free from one of the bars? Can I have Perrier free with a meal? How does the free soda policy work? I'll be boarding Regatta this Friday, Feb. 25, for a Caribbean cruise.

All free.

How are the waiters compensated when serving free beverages? I just returned from the Regatta and was a bit reluctant to order water or sodas from a waiter for this reason. I suppose I don't need to worry about it, but they receive 18% on a beer and apparently nothing on sodas and water and yet the same work is involved.

Bruce

How are the waiters compensated when serving free beverages? I just returned from the Regatta and was a bit reluctant to order water or sodas from a waiter for this reason. I suppose I don't need to worry about it, but they receive 18% on a beer and apparently nothing on sodas and water and yet the same work is involved.

Bruce

That's why is called "included". You don't feel the need to tip extra for juice, iced tea or coffee so what's the difference? Nothing to even think about.:)

Bruce

I think the Sodas & Water are included in the gratuity (the daily amount charged per person) just like meals & housekeeping

If you want to tip extra that is a personal choice.

Lyn

Bruce

That's right Don't worry about it. You pay a mandatory gratuity for the wait staff and housekeeping.

That's why is called "included". You don't feel the need to tip extra for juice, iced tea or coffee so what's the difference? Nothing to even think about.:)

I should have made myself clearer. I don't mean the dining room waiters. The sommeliers (wine stewards) come around to the table and request wine or cocktail orders and many passengers then order a Coke or whatever. It is these people that I feel I'm imposing upon when they don't receive any gratuity when you order the included beverages but they do receive 18% otherwise. I guess Oceania has probably worked it out somehow, but I don't believe they share in the gratuities charged to your account.

Bruce

I should have made myself clearer. I don't mean the dining room waiters. The sommeliers (wine stewards) come around to the table and request wine or cocktail orders and many passengers then order a Coke or whatever. It is these people that I feel I'm imposing upon when they don't receive any gratuity when you order the included beverages but they do receive 18% otherwise. I guess Oceania has probably worked it out somehow, but I don't believe they share in the gratuities charged to your account.

Bruce

They probably pass the task onto the waiter assigned to your table or they will get the sodas from the bar where they have to go anyway.

I would not worry

Lyn

Bruce

I think you can be sure the full 18% doesn't go to the wine stewards. That would be excessive. It's probably pooled somehow. I'm sure the Maitre d's etc share in the pools.

Bon Voyage, susiesan. I hope you enjoy your Oceania cruise.

Thanks, Pam. We'll really enjoy it now-I just got the second upsell offer call 2 days before sailing. We started in an inside F, then upgraded to an outside C1, and are now in a veranda A1. I have to look at the O website to see what comes wit ha concierge cabin-never had one before.

Thanks, Pam. We'll really enjoy it now-I just got the second upsell offer call 2 days before sailing. We started in an inside F, then upgraded to an outside C1, and are now in a veranda A1. I have to look at the O website to see what comes wit ha concierge cabin-never had one before.

Nice upgrade - congrats.

You'll get twice the number of specialty restaurant reservations, earlier embarkation and a tote bag (among other things)

Congrats on the upgrade! Will you be charged more for this upgrade? Are gratuities higher at that level? We are in an inside cabin on the Marina for our May 26th cruise. First time in an inside. One nice thing about the Marina inside cabins, they are larger than the R ships.

BonVoyage!

Congrats on the upgrade! Will you be charged more for this upgrade? Are gratuities higher at that level? We are in an inside cabin on the Marina for our May 26th cruise. First time in an inside. One nice thing about the Marina inside cabins, they are larger than the R ships.

BonVoyage!

Yes, I did pay more. I was offered the inside to outside for $300 each, then the outside to A1 concierge veranda for $100 each more. But I had a big discount on my original booking as I had been offered $300 each credit to switch to a different cruise when the original January Regatta cruise was canceled for the refurbishment of the ship. My gratuities are prepaid by the TA.

Can I exchange the champagne for a bottle of wine? Don't care for champagne at all.

I'm just so excited about the tote bag..... : )

Yes, I did pay more. I was offered the inside to outside for $300 each, then the outside to A1 concierge veranda for $100 each more. But I had a big discount on my original booking as I had been offered $300 each credit to switch to a different cruise when the original January Regatta cruise was canceled for the refurbishment of the ship. My gratuities are prepaid by the TA.

Can I exchange the champagne for a bottle of wine? Don't care for champagne at all.

Your butler will be glad to make the exchange.:)

Try to have dinner on your veranda at least one night. It's wonderful! :)

Archived