From Baltimore to Open Sea?

RozWazowski

Once the ship is en route, how long does it take to get out to sea when departing from Port Baltimore? Is there much to see from the ship while sailing before you get out to sea? I've sailed from Port Canaveral in the past, but once you're away from the dock, there's nothing left to see :)

and I realize reading this thread out-loud makes no sense what so ever ... C :p

It is really a function of how much light you will have as you sail down the Chesapeake. If you are going in late October, compare sunset then to your departure time - The Bay Bridge is about 1 1/2 to 2 hours from cast-off.

Exactly! You will have enough light to see the Bay Bridge, but as the sun sets, you will not really be able to see much other than a few lights along the shore. It takes 8 1/2 to 9 hrs. to get to the sea. It is kind of cool to see the cars coming towards you on the Bridge-Tunnel and then disappearing as they drive under you.

As you pull out, you will see Fort McHenry. You will be in the harbor just like Francis Scott Key as he wrote the "Star Spankled Banner'.

Hoping this is just a typo............

You know how the G and K are right next to each other on the keypad! Oh, wait......they're not!

The Enchantment of the Seas leaves Baltimore at 4pm. She will go under the Key Bridge around 4:30. She will pass under the Bay bridge (near Annapolis) around 6pm.

Sunset will be at 7pm. The ship will be pass the very photogenic Thomas Point Lighthouse right about then.

It will be another 6 hours or so until you pass the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel. If you're still up it's cool to watch the cars disappearing under the ship!

Aloha,

John

The Enchantment of the Seas leaves Baltimore at 4pm. She will go under the Key Bridge around 4:30. She will pass under the Bay bridge (near Annapolis) around 6pm.

Sunset will be at 7pm. The ship will be pass the very photogenic Thomas Point Lighthouse right about then.

It will be another 6 hours or so until you pass the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel. If you're still up it's cool to watch the cars disappearing under the ship!

Aloha,

John

Thanks! I think this was more of what I was looking for. DH loves taking pictures, so we'll have to make sure we're on deck for all these ... we probably won't sleep that first night anyway so I defiantly want to stay up and watch the Chesapeake Bay bridge :D

This is the Bay Bridge about 2 hours after departure mid-August 2009. Granted, the Pride leaves later than the Enchantment is supposed to, but it's hit or miss whether it will still be light enough at the end of October.

471.jpg

Archived