Favorite dishes in the Tamarind?

Infi

I have seen the menus and all the positive reviews and am looking forward to trying the Tamarind for lunch and dinner on our upcoming cruise. For those who have dined there there before, what dishes are your favorites?

lunch is a set menu (except for dessert) -- so no choices there:

The Tamarind Lunch is free -- need reservations once on the ship.

It is a set menu -- only get to choose dessert:

Hot and Sour Soup

Asian Herb Szechuan Sesame Salad

Steamed Classic Dumplings:

Chicken

Asian Pork

Steam Vegetable

Spinach and Mushroom

Shrimp 'Shu Mat'

From the Wok:

Vegetable Spring Roll

Spicy Crab Sushi Nugget

Shrimp Won Ton Sticks

Shrimp Spring Roll

Spicy Crab Rangoon

Holland America Line Culinary Fusion Sauces:

Bora Bora BBQ - tomato, ginger, aged vinegar, soy sauce

Mirin Pesto - sweet wine, soy, fresh basil, garlic, lemon grass

Coco Churri - coconut, cilantro, chili, lime

Shoyu Sabi - classic flavors of soy and wasabi

Choice of One Dessert:

Mango Sirbet

Coconut Ice Cream

Egg Tart

Green Tea Tiramisu

Well, it's been one lone visit but so far it's the Wasabi & Soy encrusted beef tenderloin. Loved it! Gotta remember to try it for lunch next time I'm aboard.

Enjoy your Tamarind experience. :)

if you check the above menu -- you will see that it is not offered for lunch in the tamarind

there is a Sterling silver beef tenderloin with Oregon blue cheese crust - grilled asparagus and scalloped potatoes offered for lunch in the pinnacle grill - $10 per person

No matter what you choose in the Tamarind IOP everything on the menu is wonderful. If you have the time one should choose the Rijstaffel specialty dinner. Over 5 people have to request this special meal but you don't have to be at the same table. A exquisite presentation of food that is wonderfully served by the wait staff.

On our Eurodam cruise the Tamarind and couple of nights in the Pinnacle were so good that we only ate in the MDR once!

Enjoy your cruise.

if you check the above menu -- you will see that it is not offered for lunch in the tamarind

there is a Sterling silver beef tenderloin with Oregon blue cheese crust - grilled asparagus and scalloped potatoes offered for lunch in the pinnacle grill - $10 per person

I have read about your fall, and just want to say glad you are posting and hope you are on the mend.. As you can see by our cruises, we have never sailed HAL, but I am really close to booking Eurodam for 2012. I know NOTHING about HAL! What is the charge for Tamarind for dinner. Thanks so much!

Well the OP did say:

am looking forward to trying the Tamarind for lunch and dinner on our upcoming cruise.

And I responded with my favorite choice for dinner.

Thanks, all, for the suggestions. Please keep them coming. :) Any favorite appetizers? It seems like there's so many to choose from.

I indulged in both Streetside Pot Stickers and Satay Sampler substituting one for the soup and very much enjoyed both.

No matter what you choose in the Tamarind IOP everything on the menu is wonderful. If you have the time one should choose the Rijstaffel specialty dinner. Over 5 people have to request this special meal but you don't have to be at the same table. A exquisite presentation of food that is wonderfully served by the wait staff.

On our Eurodam cruise the Tamarind and couple of nights in the Pinnacle were so good that we only ate in the MDR once!

Enjoy your cruise.

On the Nieuw Amsterdam they said they are not providing the Rijstaffel dinner anymore. I'm not sure if it is also being discontinued on the Eurodam. We were very disappointed.

I am a bit confused about some aspects of the Tamarind, so here are my questions.

1. Are reservations needed for lunch and dinner?

2. Above poster stated lunch is no additional charge, how about dinner?

3. Can reservations be made only once you are onboard or can the be made pre-cruise?

Thank you so very much.

Well, it's been one lone visit but so far it's the Wasabi & Soy encrusted beef tenderloin. Loved it! Gotta remember to try it for lunch next time I'm aboard.

Enjoy your Tamarind experience. :)

Well the OP did say:

And I responded with my favorite choice for dinner.

misunderstood you

thought you meant that you were going to try the beef at lunch in the tamarind

I am a bit confused about some aspects of the Tamarind, so here are my questions.

1. Are reservations needed for lunch and dinner? yes -- it is very popular for both lunch and dinner and fills up quickly

2. Above poster stated lunch is no additional charge, how about dinner? lunch is free -- dinner is $15 per person

3. Can reservations be made only once you are onboard or can the be made pre-cruise?

Thank you so very much.

you can make reservations for dinner on hal's web site -- just have ready your booking number and credit card - you pay for this before the cruise -- if you change your mnd once on the ship and decide to cancel -- you will be given ship board credit

you can only make lunch servations for the tamarind once you are on the ship

On the Nieuw Amsterdam they said they are not providing the Rijstaffel dinner anymore. I'm not sure if it is also being discontinued on the Eurodam. We were very disappointed.

i am not surprised that they may not offer it any more -- the 2 weeks we were on the ship we ate at the tamarind several times and we asked if anyone had signed up for the rijstaffel dinner -- answer was -- no one

I have read about your fall, and just want to say glad you are posting and hope you are on the mend.. As you can see by our cruises, we have never sailed HAL, but I am really close to booking Eurodam for 2012. I know NOTHING about HAL! What is the charge for Tamarind for dinner. Thanks so much!

thank you

tamarind is free for lunch

tamarind is $15 per person for dinner

pinnacle grill is $10 for lunch

pinnacle grill is $20 for dinner

canaletto is free for dinner

misunderstood you

thought you meant that you were going to try the beef at lunch in the tamarind

Cool. :) Don't really recall why I hadn't tried Tamarind for lunch during the cruise but there's enough going on it's hard to do it all and I guess I didn't think to make a lunch visit a priority, a mistake I'll not repeat next time.

If you have the time one should choose the Rijstaffel specialty dinner. Over 5 people have to request this special meal but you don't have to be at the same table. A exquisite presentation of food that is wonderfully served by the wait staff.

i am not surprised that they may not offer it any more -- the 2 weeks we were on the ship we ate at the tamarind several times and we asked if anyone had signed up for the rijstaffel dinner -- answer was -- no one

I'm not surprised that there is difficulty with this dinner. Why on earth is it not advertised anywhere? Maybe the reason no one has signed up for it, is because they don't even know it exists!! :mad:

I really don't understand HAL's reasoning behind the choices they make concerning specialty dining. Pinnacle Grill lunches for example, $10 per person revenue..... if it was available to book on the website, I would have done it months ago! :confused:

Archived