cabin for family of five?

amez1974

We are looking to book our first cruise for next Feb on the Carnival fantasy out of Charleston. I just can't decide what type of cabin situation would work for our family of five. We've decided we want mid ship. They have staterooms that sleep five (it has two uppers and I think a pull out chair) how crowded would this room be or would it atleast be comfortable?

Or should we look at two ajoining rooms?

I guess I'm not sure of the pros and cons of having an exterior room versus and interior room? Seems like the windows aren't that big anyway. I'm wondering if two interior rooms would give us the most comfort and budget wise. My husbands wants a balcony room, but I don't see anything that would hold our family (our kids will be 12, 9, and 10).

So please families of five tell me what has worked for you and what hasn't. I really want to book our cruise, but obviously want to get the best room sitution for us.

thanks

Amy

There are no pull-out chairs/sofas in regular cabins on Fantasy class ships. You would have the twins, plus two bunks out of the ceiling, and a rollaway they would bring in. Since the cat. 12 suites will sleep four with a double convertible sofa (can two of your kids sleep together, or would it be for you and your husband?) they could also bring a rollaway into that cabin. The fantasy does not have balcony cabins other than the cat. 11 and 12 suites. All cabins other than suites are the same size. EM

Here are some pictures of an inside with five:

FantasyM88-2.jpg

FantasyM88-1.jpg

You can see there is little floor space. there is the option to separate the twins into an L shap, with one agains the wall beneath the 'window', and the other beneath one of the bunks. the rollaway would then be beneatht he oght bunk, giving more floor space to get to the bathroom at night. EM

Older ships were grandfathered in and Carnival supplies rollaways ...insides and OVs are both 185 s.f....only difference is the inside has a fake window. No extra space on this class with a OV.

It will be a quad with two twins, two uppers that come out of the walls, and a rollaway at night taking up most of your walking space. Tight but people do it. Depends on how big everyone is too...smaller children I think you dont feel as tight.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Thanks EM for the pictures--boy that does show how tight it is when all the beds are out. (and that was exactly what I was hoping to see) I just need to price stuff out now and see what we want to spend.

Thanks so much everyone - you guys are great!

Amy

We did the Fantasy with 5 in an OV cabin on the Riviera Deck. While tight, it was totally do-able. Kids were 5, 7 & 9 at the time. 5yo slept in the roll-away. It is a bit smaller than a regular bed. The roll-away is only brought out at night, so there is some floor space during the day. An over-the-door shoe holder is a must if you go this option, as storage space is at a premium for 5 in one room.

Unfortunately, connecting rooms aren't an option on the Fantasy.

Do you regularly share one hotel room while on vacation? We do whenever possible, so it wasn't a problem for us to share one cabin. We were glad we paid the extra for the window, as it does make it seem a bit more spacious. Plus, it gave us a little more room as the kids could sit on the ledge where the window sticks out. AFAIK, this is one of the most affordable options for a family of 5.

we ended up going with a balcony suite. When we go on vacations we have started renting houses or atleast getting a suite if it's only for a couple of nights. We figured since this is our first cruise might as well go for it--we just don't want to be uncomfortable and then not want to cruise again. Plus my husband really wanted the balcony--it gives us more room to spread out. We are so excited--we''ve convinced a couple of other family members to try a cruise with us as well.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Thanks EM for the pictures--boy that does show how tight it is when all the beds are out. (and that was exactly what I was hoping to see) I just need to price stuff out now and see what we want to spend.

Thanks so much everyone - you guys are great!

Amy

we did 5 of us in an inside cabin on the Sensation for our first cruise

If you keep the beds that are on the floor seperated and against the wall you will have the floor space for the roll away.

Keeping the beds together-- you use up your space.

It was our first- we saved over 700 doing it this way. (other cruises it only cost like 200 to get the two cabins next to each other or across the hall.

Your first cruise you will be in the room to sleep.

Use the shower in the gym to get that all out of the way.

You will not all be able to be getting ready for dinner together.

You want your cabin as low as possible as midship as you can get.

Higher you go the more you sway. front and aft will get motion too.

Stay away from being under public areas. And tunder the galley

We are planning to bring some of the EZ-beds so that we can deflate and slide under/in closet during the day to avoid taking up floor space during the day. Not sure how it will work but that is our plan - We have kids ages (7,5,and 3).

We are planning to bring some of the EZ-beds so that we can deflate and slide under/in closet during the day to avoid taking up floor space during the day. Not sure how it will work but that is our plan - We have kids ages (7,5,and 3).

If you are on Carnival, I wouldnt bother with the EZ beds which are quite heavy to tote around imo. You cabin will have beds for 5 set up when you arrive. The only bed that is removable or that can go under a twin is either a rollaway or a trundle.

We just got off the Elation and had 5 in a room. Our kids are 11, 8, & 6. We had 2 uppers and a roll away bed. During the day, the beds were all folded up. It was crowded when all the beds were down, but that was only late at night and early in the morning. I wouldn't hesitate booking one room for all of us again.

Here are some pictures of an inside with five:

FantasyM88-2.jpg

You can see there is little floor space. there is the option to separate the twins into an L shap, with one agains the wall beneath the 'window', and the other beneath one of the bunks. the rollaway would then be beneatht he oght bunk, giving more floor space to get to the bathroom at night. EM

With the lowers apart it won't be too romantic but a sanity saver.

We are a family of 5, have always booked two cabins. When the kids were younger, my wife would take a triple with our 2 girls, and I would take a double with our son. Now that they are older, we book verandas next to each other. We throw the kids in one ages 15, 12, and 9 now, and we are next door. We have the room attendant open the separator between the balcony's and we are golden. Never have to go out in the corridor to reach their cabin.

First time cruiser with a family of five...

What's the best way to search for a room for a family of five? We have small children, so a roll-away as the fifth bed would be fine.... but I haven't found a way to search for this option.

Any pointers for a good website that would allow a five-person-per-room search?

First time cruiser with a family of five...

What's the best way to search for a room for a family of five? We have small children, so a roll-away as the fifth bed would be fine.... but I haven't found a way to search for this option.

Any pointers for a good website that would allow a five-person-per-room search?

The only way is by calling an agent.

You can prepare yourself-- by looking at cabins for 4 people.

And only on certain ships- You can NOT book 5 people on any Conquest class or Spirit class ships- all the others you can.

When looking at the deck plan for any fantasy class or destiny/victory/truimph you will be looking at cabins that have 2 dots in with the cabin number.

You want to be above and below cabin space and away from public areas.

With kids of ages 19,17,11, we did a balcony and a large inside cabin directly across the hall. Our online agent searched for combinations and it worked out great. My oldest son and I took the inside (we sleep later, awake later), and my wife and younger two kids had the balcony. We shared the balcony during the days, and saved money versus getting two balconies. The inside cabin 0322 on Norway Deck was huge, and was wider than it was deep, unlike most cabins. It was like a smaller hotel room. (We also loved being just one deck below the buffet restaurant and the pool.) Consider that on most lines, we've found that the charges for the third and more passengers in same room are the same whether it's a balcony or an inside cabin, so cost was same whether three in balcony or three in inside.

• 3 weeks later...

We booked a cat 11 mini suite and they brought in a roll away, This was extremely crowded especially for the bathroom. I would suggest a balcony and an inside across the hall. Get extra room keys for you and the children to use to access each room. Your cost for the inside is the same as an extra person in your balcony. Carnival has a policy that at least one adult must be assigned to each room but that doesn't mean you have to sleep there.

We booked a cat 11 mini suite and they brought in a roll away, This was extremely crowded especially for the bathroom. I would suggest a balcony and an inside across the hall. Get extra room keys for you and the children to use to access each room. Your cost for the inside is the same as an extra person in your balcony. Carnival has a policy that at least one adult must be assigned to each room but that doesn't mean you have to sleep there.

.... not exactly. They have a policy with three age ranges, only the very youngest has to be booked with a parent. The only exception is if there is no legal guardian onboard (say your child brings a friend), then the child does have to be booked with someone over 25 (not 21).

okay I'm back with more questions. We have a balcony U74. I still have to price it out, but it does look like it would save us money to put part of our family across the hall in U72 (an inside cabin) Would the doors open up to each other in the hallway or is the doorway to the u72 around the corner in the other hallway? U72 is an interior on the end almost directly across from our balcony.

http://travel.travelocity.com/ecruise/ShipDetailsDeck.do;jsessionid=61E97FF5AFC39DE12B833765E1AC47F3.p0716?shipId=4&deckId=Deck 6

If we did that only part of our family would get vip boarding-correct? And whomever was booked in the interior would go through the normal boarding line.

thanks

Amy

I called last night about this--the first time I called switching from just a balcony with five people into a balcony with three people and an interior with two would have saved us $30. I was told our children would get vip checkin as well. Well my husband said wait let's think about it--thinking there has to be a catch. I will admit I was a bit annoyed because it seemed pretty clear to me. About an hour and a half later I called back deciding to do it and they quoted me $210 more to add the extra cabin. I'm not sure if the first girl made a mistake or if the prices could change that fast. I declined for now and will just keep an eye on things.

Amy

okay I'm back with more questions. We have a balcony U74. I still have to price it out, but it does look like it would save us money to put part of our family across the hall in U72 (an inside cabin) Would the doors open up to each other in the hallway or is the doorway to the u72 around the corner in the other hallway? U72 is an interior on the end almost directly across from our balcony.

http://travel.travelocity.com/ecruise/ShipDetailsDeck.do;jsessionid=61E97FF5AFC39DE12B833765E1AC47F3.p0716?shipId=4&deckId=Deck 6

If we did that only part of our family would get vip boarding-correct? And whomever was booked in the interior would go through the normal boarding line.

thanks

Amy

I must have missed the part about VIP. If the other cabin gets it depends on why you are VIP.

VIP is either for booking a suite or because you are platnium (10 cruises). If one is platinum on the booking the boarding pass will show VIP in the corner.

• 2 weeks later...

i also am travelling with 3 kids (7,9,11). i am booked with wife and 2 kids for balcony, and myself and 1 kid inside directly across the hall. we will probably all sleep in balcony cabin, but at least get to put all our clothes, bags, and extra clutter in the inside cabin, thus freeing up all the available space.

Archived